Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 23:03   #16
BHPian

Quote:
you can see the slots around the speaker in the safari and in my indica. I think this is a problem endemic to tata vehicles - mounting speakers on the plastic door panels. not exactly a good idea.
What a wonderful find! Friend, My car will be in the workshop tomorrow to seal the holes.

Quote:
in addition, tried playing around with the eq?
Yes Sir, not a EQ/Tuning problem as I always playing with it. But I am sure its something to do with BASS. The High frequencies are perfect and better than my home setup. I can't tolerate the starting sequences of Eagles - Hotel California in my Car setup - its terrible for my ear!. I am not speaking about MP3, I tried lossless Wav and even the DTS track of this song.

Quote:
where exactly does the car lose out compared to the 5.1?
I am sure its something to do with Low frequencies around 20-500Hz. Surround is perfect and I preferred 4.1 than 5.1 inside the car.

But the car setup fails at Bass reproduction. Its high, good but not perfect. I played with 75.4's bass boost, Cross over and even Asus Software crossover, Tuning thru Console - but nothing helps. But i believe something wrong in the setup.

Its not about tuning as I am tuning my Amp for the last one year and there is no more settings in the amp to test myself.

Is not about the quality of the components as i am changing all the suspected components.

Its not about the quality of the source as the same source is delivered perfectly in my poor home setup.

So, whats wrong. Is anybody here in Chennai, so that I can bring the car for a test checkup?

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 12th May 2009 at 23:17.
Old 12th May 2009, 23:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

dont seal the holes completely. you do need to fit the speaker grilles back on. I trust you'll be able to figure something out. I think covering the holes with a rubber sheet, then making holes in them so that they behave like washers should do, The difference will be subtle, since you dont depend on the comps for low bass ( as you have a sub)

what sub are you using , and what sort of enclosure . have you tried simply reversing the phase of the sub? ( even if you have connected it the right way, sometimes connecting it the other way might sound better)
Old 12th May 2009, 23:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
what sub are you using , and what sort of enclosure . have you tried simply reversing the phase of the sub? ( even if you have connected it the right way, sometimes connecting it the other way might sound better)
Yes sir, I tried all possible reverse solutions too. But believe me, I don't find any difference in sound quality - even if I reversed the polarity of the sub.

The sub is JBL GT5-12. The enclosure is some ready made BaassFx with two ports on it. Is there any chance of this enclosure causing this all mid-night problems?
Old 12th May 2009, 23:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Since you mentioned that you were using a very thing speaker and woofer cable first upgrade them only as thin wire cannot let current pass and let the driver to play properly.

Since you also mentioned bass section is suffering the most the sub woofer cable is at fault. Also try lowering the crossover points of the speakers to 80 HZ and check the phases of the subs and speakers to check that nothing is playing out of phase thus canceling the bass effect.
Old 12th May 2009, 23:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

you have an entry level sub driven by a mid end amp. try swapping subs - just to try out . maybe something a bit more expensive

but then again, dont expect levels of bass you get in cars. the safari has a much larger cabin volume, so needs more power to reach the same levels

EDIT: and as LBM said, make sure the crossovers are correct.

on second thought, how have you set the crossovers?

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th May 2009 at 23:47.
Old 13th May 2009, 00:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Since you mentioned that you were using a very thing speaker and woofer cable first upgrade them only as thin wire cannot let current pass and let the driver to play properly.
Wow, LBM is here for me.

LBM, you advised me a 12 AWG wire. but as I couldn't source it in chennai, I changed my current 16 AWG to 2.5mm2 OFC cables for sub only. I even replaced the XLR with MX SpeakON. But there is no big improvements.

Quote:
Also try lowering the crossover points of the speakers to 80 HZ and check the phases of the subs and speakers to check that nothing is playing out of phase thus canceling the bass effect.
No tuning tips please, as I became mad on tuning the amp for the last 1 year. Believe me, even I became an expert now in amp tuning.

Quote:
but then again, dont expect levels of bass you get in cars. the safari has a much larger cabin volume, so needs more power to reach the same levels
But the problem is not with low Bass. Its actually the reverse. I feel more bass than required. Means, if I increase the Bass volume, I cant stay inside the car. If I lower the Bass volume, I am not getting the required punch for some songs. Can you understand my problem?

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 13th May 2009 at 00:19.
Old 13th May 2009, 00:34   #22
BHPian

Still I have an eye over this enclosure. Its from a brand called BaassFX and it has two holes. Is there any chance it will affect the bass reproduction?

Branded Speaker wire in Chennai / India-p1000225.jpg
Old 13th May 2009, 00:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think those are ports.
If made according to specs, they will produce more bass than same sub in a sealed according to the specs of sealed.

Regarding 2 Ports, i aint too knowledgable.
In the Car Pc, is there not any option to reduce the bass?
Old 13th May 2009, 00:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that this is going to sound all bloated. big box, and twice as many tubes. yes, it will sound louder ( something you'll need to fill a safari with sound) , but I wonder if it will sound a bit like a bass tube
Old 13th May 2009, 01:21   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
a brand called BaassFX
They're taking this numerology thing too far!
Old 13th May 2009, 01:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
In the Car Pc, is there not any option to reduce the bass?
Yes, I can reduce Bass and even my sound card has LFE bass redirection with channel routing.

Quote:
but I wonder if it will sound a bit like a bass tube
Do you all saying it wont be a problem?

Quote:
They're taking this numerology thing too far!
Sam Bhai, you found this thread atlast!(I caught you that you used to search for keyword "JBL") Am I right? Anyway i am waiting for you here and what's your opinion about this double ports (is it copyrighted?)

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 13th May 2009 at 01:30.
Old 13th May 2009, 01:38   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sam Bhai, you found this thread atlast!(I still believe you may search for keyword "JBL") Am I right? Anyway i am waiting for you here and what's your opinion about this double ports (is it copyrighted?)
I don't search for any keyword!! I am here poking my nose everywhere. I just read, don't write.

I just post when I know nobody else can answer a question, or if it is directed at me.
I am not needed here much, every second person that comes here looking for audio advice and some equipment fancies himself a guru soon after his first purchase. And to think some of us studied this for years... lol

So I read. Might as well learn from some of the others.

I'm a little more active this week as the old man is out with his family.

Single port or double port makes no difference as long as the total porting is tuned to the requirement of the woofer enclosure. You could even have 8 ports, so long as their total is the correct tuning according to the box specs.
There's nothing "copyrighted" about 2 ports, it is quite common.

Your numerologically correct readymade bass enclosure itself is incorrect. Bass enclosures are never a "one-size-fits-all" just because it has a 11.25" hole doesn't mean all 12" woofers will perform well in it.

That's why you got a piece of paper with your JBL woofer.
Old 13th May 2009, 01:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Your numerologically correct readymade bass enclosure itself is incorrect. Bass enclosures are never a "one-size-fits-all" just because it has a 11.25" hole doesn't mean all 12" woofers will perform well in it.

That's why you got a piece of paper with your JBL woofer.
I agree with you and do you suspect it may be the problem to my over bass reproduction?

I have seen one of your thread some days before with pictures regarding enclosure design, do you have any link with you?

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 13th May 2009 at 01:53.
Old 13th May 2009, 09:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you and do you suspect it may be the problem to my over bass reproduction?

I have seen one of your thread some days before with pictures regarding enclosure design, do you have any link with you?
ibm_jennifer I have the Audison Connect speaker wires installed on my car with the Infinity Components and ovals rest of the set up details you can check on my Garage.

My experience with the Audison Connect cables are very good. If you want to listen to my setup let me know we can probably meet up this weekend.
Old 13th May 2009, 15:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
ibm_jennifer I have the Audison Connect speaker wires installed on my car.
Are they available in chennai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks