Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 11:59   #1
BHPian

I thought a mango had fallen on the roof!

Sytem is as follows :

HU: ALPINE 9884E
AMPS:JBL 1004 + Infinity REF1300A
REAR :Infinity 6963
Front :Infinity 6020cs
Sub : Ground Zero GZRW 12XS-AL
Wiring : Dont ask! ... i was sent Sansui speaker cables and Micro something amp kit by the dealer i bought these from in Mumbai.Although i was promised something else.
Damping : Noisekill

Firstly, the whole installation has been a DIY.right from cutting holes in the door pads to stringing the wires all around.There's numerous images available online and info on T-bhp even not to mess up on the connections.I even tagged each cable before started on the DIY installation.

Ive had the above setup for the past 9 months.The sub was never used because i started on a Fibreglass enclosure (there's a thread on this) and ended up with 26Ltrs instead of 20ltrs volume.This has remained pending ever since.

Last evening, as i was driving.......THUD!. i looked around and was wondering what it could be.THE SYSTEM WAS OFF when this happened and hence i never suspected it.This morning on my drive to work, i had the same unpleasant THUD ( and its loud!) although the system was as barely audible volume(the kind that gets drowned when windows are rolled down but is easy listening when driving in AC mode).i look towards the system and its gone off.Trying to analyse the freakish unpleasant sound, it felt like its coming from the roof only because its affecting all 4 speakers.

Its happened when the system was OFF and also Playing.(when i mean OFF , the system is in clock display mode). Now i was thinking, if this is a Short circuit, the fuses on the power cables should have blown.But the system runs perfectly fine immediately after.

So now if you guys can give me a checklist or choices on where to start off with and figure out this problem.It'll be helpfull. I hope its the cheap cabling that may have got a cut or something being a DIY. If i'm assuming wrong, then guide me gurus. .

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 15th May 2009 at 12:04.
Old 15th May 2009, 12:05   #2
BHPian

Seems like you have a really nICE setup so would suggest that you get a reliable installer in your city to check it up. Remember amplifiers if wrongly set up or for that matter even wrongly tuned/wired and electricals done badly, can go bust very fast and replacing them is going to set you back quite a lot!

Last edited by pranava999 : 15th May 2009 at 12:08.
Old 15th May 2009, 12:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

I suspect earth wiring is off. Recheck connections. Could be some lose wire somewhere
Old 15th May 2009, 12:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

With high quality amplifiers and some excellent speakers and subwoofer - you should be killing it!

Unless you are an advanced installer I do not recommend a DIY for this install as this is a lot of good equipment and a serious bit of money too. I can offer you 2 points.
  • Throw your suspect wires.
  • GO to a good installer immediately and start again.
Do not continue to play your system with the thuds and pops. You could destroy your speakers and your amplifier.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th May 2009 at 16:34. Reason: Quote removed.
Old 15th May 2009, 13:07   #5
BHPian

I suspect water!!! I had the same issue with my amps coming into contact with some water on the carpet. Check it out bro Check the ground wiring too. That can also cause this problem
Old 15th May 2009, 13:31   #6
BHPian

cheers for your comments. So the POA is

1: Get rid of amp + speaker wiring kit and install a good set. As this is a requisite for the equipment i've got.( i could sense Sam's disappointment in me degrading his brand with such a compromise, lol). So if i do this the problem area might be in the binbag.Sam , i could go to an installer , but in a place like Hyd im afraid that the minute i mention anythin like short circuit or thud, these chaps would purposely do some heerapheri and fleece me sayin your equipment is already kaput.Its a sad story but we dont have good and reliable installers here.(there was a certain Hamid from Sprocket bangalore and he used to visit the city over weekends for their branch here. Recession has forced him to remain glued to one city)

2: Check grounding. : i have a query on this. I initially had two holes in the boot floor on either side and then screwed in each amp's ground wires with a washer. After a month or so , i noticed that the 1004 grounding screw kept getting loose. I decided to club both the ground wires into one hole as a fix. Is this wrong ?

3: The issue of Water : This could be very much a possibility on the front speakers.Since this was a DIY, ive had umpteen tries at taking out the door pads and sorting out the dampening for krrrs and brrrrs. Could this be a reason for leaks from the door/window lining whilst washing the car or when its pouring down??

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 15th May 2009 at 13:35.
Old 15th May 2009, 13:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

For grounding check with multimeter.
1. your bettery ground should be properly secured to body.
2. with one mm lead to amp ground, and other to bettery you should get the conformation beep.
If you do not go to an installer, you will have to go over the setup with a fine toothed comb.
I suggest get finolex or havels oxygen free copper wire(thick one for high load). I forgot the exact AWG you need, you can ask LBM, he is expert on finolex.
For signal wiring buy good quality shielded cable. Even finolex thick wire will do for now.

I suspect some short somewhere which happens when your car moves.

Other way is to remove all equipment, go to installer and do not tell him it was already installed. A good installer will charge 2000rs installation charges I think
Old 15th May 2009, 14:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
... I suspect some short somewhere which happens when your car moves. ...
More likely a loose connection in the 12V or GND lines somewhere. You need to trace starting at the battery end.

* If you have noticed your GND connection come loose, use a lock washer (star or split) along with regular washers to prevent the nut / bolt becoming loose by vibration
* Use crimping sleeves on the bare end of the cables which go into the screw-type sockets at the amp
Old 15th May 2009, 15:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Since you're having problems even when your HU is off, I would suggest you immediately disconnect the main lead power wire (from battery to amp) and rectify the wiring before you connect it back. At least this way, you're sure your amplifier and speakers are not going to have further damage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks