Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2009, 13:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Difference between horns & compos!

Guys what is the difference between horns & component speaker system?

Just seen them but never auditioned!!
Old 17th May 2009, 13:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

horns are used in the front of a car to shoo pedestrians, annoying bikes and cattle away. also for other forms of communication between cars
animals use them for offense/defense.

component speakers are used to produce music

there are component speakers with horn tweeters. Horns are one of the methods used to transfer the vibrations from the voice coil to the air to make sound ( the voice coil by itself cant do much) . usually tweeters are made as domes or cones, or ribbons even. sometimes they may be made as horns. each type has its own advantages and disadvantages
Old 17th May 2009, 14:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know horns speakers will play just mids and highs above 1500hz.
To complement it one will need to install midbass speakers. They need precise tuning and work on 1/4 of output that of components due to their higher sensitivity. Best for use in pure SQ setup. Horns have better imaging and front soundstage as they have wider dispersion and also as they are placed mainly below the dash facing directly towards the passenger and driver.
Old 17th May 2009, 15:22   #4
BHPian

The thread title is confusing!
Invinsible & greenhorn, valuable Info!
Placement is tedious, as the Dispersion is wider!
Old 18th May 2009, 10:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

So does the horn act more like a mixture of mid range and tweeters?
Old 18th May 2009, 14:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well Abhinav it all depends on how you tune it. Horn's can play frequencies from 600 hz up to 20 Khz so they cover the range of a small midrange and tweeter but at much higher efficiency. Some also tune it to play from 1500hz. But all this in conjunction with the midbass speaker (woofer) preferably the midbass in a kick panel enclosure works the best.
A good set of horns and Midbass would cost anywhere above 50k+ plus dedicated amplifiers for them as its advised to run them active. Very rare that someone uses passive crossover with them. Now naturally getting them and getting good amp would cost a set of more than a lakh. But the ultimate choice would be to get those low output tube amplifiers which works the best for the horns, and one will have the best sounding front soundstage that none of conventional speakers can match upto. Also, they are more fragile with fine dust. As the dust may settle inside the horn, causing problem with dispersion in sound. Therefore one has to be very careful with them and I feel using Horns here in our polluted environment wouldn't be that easy.
In olden times there would be record players with a horn speaker sitting on top of it. Horns direct the sound waves in wider dispersion so that one doesn't realise it's coming from one corner or one point.
Some of the best sounding vehicles in IASCA have used horns for one reason, the best imaging and front sound stage and crystal clear highs. And No TA required here.

Someday I dream of having these horn setup in my car but than will make sure I install an air purifier near the windows and never run it with windows down

You will find more answers to your queries here at Image Dynamics forums. Have a read.
Board Message

I suppose even Illusion had horns, maybe Ajaybhai can throw some light on it.

Last edited by Invinsible : 18th May 2009 at 14:42.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

LBM is using illusion horns if am not wrong !!

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th May 2009 at 16:23. Reason: No need to quote entire long posts especially when its on same page, thanks
Old 19th May 2009, 01:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Here's some more info I found on Horns speakers by Image Dynamics on their Horn HLCD.

Image Dynamics - Tech Note, HLCD

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks