Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2009, 21:36   #1
BHPian

Santro Xing takes baby steps towards ICE

Hi guys, with JBL 1004 fitted firmly on the back seat of my car, I am ready to post my Santro Xing's first baby steps towards serious ICE. The amp comes off chirag_bir's Getz (thanks mate, see we kept it in Hyundai family!) It is currently powering (ok, don't laugh too loud please), a pair of 6x9 ovals. The rest of the system is equally basic: Pioneer 2050, 4" coax in front pods. (my original HU was a pio 4750, it got stolen in Apr 08 so I got an Alpine 9883, which in turn got stolen in Aug 08 so I got fed up and got this 2050).

I got the amp fitted in Faridabad, more as an excuse to meet LBM and audition his car! Man, my ears are still ringing, and that was like 10 seconds of SPL demo! And a word of caution to everyone in the market for a pair of decent components, don't go anywhere near LBM's car, and even if destiny takes you there, don't let him let you audition the horns! The SQ, the level of resolution and detail simply blows you off and is truly the best I could imagine in a mobile environment! The soundstage is firmly right in front of you and you can't actually locate the point source even if you try your best! This was tremendous! Two monstrous subs playing in the back blend so nicely and the whole experience is mindblowing! Listening to Illusion Carbon series components after auditioning the horns was actually a letdown! Thanks LBM for taking the time out on an extremely hot Sunday!

Coming back to the worldly issues concerning my car, I now need to quickly audition a few different component brands/models in the entry-level/mid level range. Already auditioned Illusion Electras off Smokin and KPZen's cars (thank you guys both for taking the time out to meet me), and the mind is already more than half made. I hope I can audition GZ, MTX, Hertz (are original Hertz still available anywhere?) and JBL within the next 3 weeks and get going.

Finally, a quick word on the amp performance again, I am really happy that my 6x9 are getting good, clean power that they deserve without loading the HU. My HU display used to blink when I used to crank up the volume - clearly the internal amp was struggling to supply the necessary power to hungry ovals in the back. Now, the display is rock solid, the music sounds much clearer! The SQ gain is 15-20% and fairly noticeable.

Now, for the compos to come, followed by an HU upgrade, then a sub, and finally a mono/two-channel amp for the sub.
Old 17th May 2009, 22:31   #2
BHPian

Great going dude. I feel for an entry level you can keep your ovals at the back as it is. And add compo only in front.

And if you want good thumping of bass at low volumes i suggest you go for a mono amp for the sub.

These are just my understandings from the forum. But since you have gurus like LBM with you, i know he ll take care, cos i ve heard about him even though i ve not seen him. But please do try to make some solution for your HU losses. A good HU makes a lot of difference.
Old 17th May 2009, 23:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

well done sir. you are going in the right direction! the pio 2050 is already the weakest link and I know, you are concerned about the recent spate of robberies in and around your area. i would recommend getting a slightly better head unit and keeping it a safe practice, removing the front panel everytime you leave the car.
you could look at chiragh birs Panasonic HU that is going for cheap right now, it's the best bet!
as for the amp, yes, you are in gooood territory!
my honest suggestion would be to put off the mono plans for the timebeing, and use 2 bridged channels of the 1004 for the sub (MORE than sufficient)
the front channels of the 1004 can power the components in front and the head unit can power the rears.
rears NEED not be amplified as the bass comes from the subwoofer, and the rears just act as complements for the front stage and the sub. amplifying them, and THEN jacking down the levels of the rears would be wasting the power of the 1004.
cheers on the purchases and best of luck for the remaining stuff.
the illusion electra is a good choice, and you cant go wrong with it.
the sub can be anything you like! and the 1004 is more than competent to power it.
UNLESS you want to bring the house down with extra bass!

Last edited by frankmehta : 17th May 2009 at 23:21.
Old 17th May 2009, 23:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
But since you have gurus like LBM with you, i know he ll take care, cos i ve heard about him even though i ve not seen him. But please do try to make some solution for your HU losses. A good HU makes a lot of difference.
Thanks Srikant, indeed a HU is now an immediate priority. My eyes are actually set on Clarion 785, it has everything i need now and 'in future'

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
well done sir. i would recommend getting a slightly better head unit and keeping it a safe practice, removing the front panel everytime you leave the car.

the illusion electra is a good choice, and you cant go wrong with it.
the sub can be anything you like! and the 1004 is more than competent to power it.
UNLESS you want to bring the house down with extra bass!
Hi Frank, thanks! These days I'm so paranoid I don't even keep my cigarettes lying around in my car at night! Removing front panel is now as much a habit as removing keys from the car! Also I think I'm more or less convinced of electras, just auditioning the others to know how close or different each sound to my taste.

And yeah, i think an intermediate step would be to have the sub driven off the 1004. All i have to do to bring the house down is to invite LBM to the party - the advantage of living close by you see!

PS: install pics added
Attached Thumbnails
Santro Xing takes baby steps towards ICE-jbl-amp.jpg  

Santro Xing takes baby steps towards ICE-amp2.jpg  

Last edited by greenh0rn : 17th May 2009 at 23:45.
Old 17th May 2009, 23:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

yes, and the easiest way to do that is to cook butter chicken at home. Simple as 1-2-3 and there. Low bass maker is home!

PS: so is there a new head unit in the offing?? recommended...
Old 17th May 2009, 23:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Green for the kind words....I am still trying to improve it further Glad to know you like it...

I think Green missed the wiring part. He is using the JBL original kit. He got quite a deal...since the MRP is 2990/- (Confirmed from Sam Bhai)
Old 18th May 2009, 00:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

How much did the Amp cost?? is it will bill or without?
Old 18th May 2009, 07:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

i think only the hertz dieci are available from the current distributor ( do confirm) , but illusion electras are better ( the illusions were in a much better setup though - alpine 9887 HU, 4 ch GZ amp, compared to my 9870 only setup)

If the energy series are available, they should be a better match
Old 18th May 2009, 08:42   #9
BHPian

congo sir!! i hope you will find the the best compos to your taste ,i hope our meting doesnt go in trash for choosing the brands we heard and discussed

setup is amazing one ,i really liked to do it but can't

PC has some advantages and dis-advantages too
Old 18th May 2009, 09:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

congrats dude. You're going the right way. Get a good set of compos and try to get the clarion. It's an amazing hu. I'm sure that illusions will be your best bet.
Cheers
Old 18th May 2009, 09:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

congrrats green !!

Enjoy the setup..

Hope to meet you soon !!
Old 18th May 2009, 10:15   #12
BHPian

Thank you all guys!

@ low_bass_makker: I also missed thanking you for the wiring! Guys, this is the real McCoy as Sam would call it!

@ nitinralli, let's just say- I got it for a great price and both buyer and seller are happy with the deal! It's without bill/warranty though.

@greenhorn: Yeah, will see if i can listen to Hertz Energy just for the audition's sake!!

@smokin: Thanks sir! Waise, woh kehte hain- kuchh paane ke liye kuchh khona padta hai...aapne bhi bahut kuchh paya hai!

@abhinav.gupta88: Thanks mate. I really need to audition your setup to make up my mind faster. And the next upgrade is surely the HU, and most likely the Clarion.

@chiragh_bir: Man I also hope to see you next week!
Old 18th May 2009, 12:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post

@smokin: Thanks sir! Waise, woh kehte hain- kuchh paane ke liye kuchh khona padta hai...aapne bhi bahut kuchh paya hai!

sir mujhe apni category me kyun laa rahe ho ( i am not that old just 24 ) and mujhe sir keh ke budda mat banao

eager to listen to your setup now
Old 18th May 2009, 12:35   #14
BHPian

You ve already got your share of support here on the forum. We are all waiting to see the installs now.

Are you planning for any dampening BTW?
Old 18th May 2009, 13:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
eager to listen to your setup now
Kya setup, there is no setup as of now! There is no frontstage, though there is plenty of backstage Will surely make you listen to it after the comps go in, guess what, you might as well be the first person to listen them (even before me)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
You ve already got your share of support here on the forum. We are all waiting to see the installs now.

Are you planning for any dampening BTW?
Yeah man will go for an install after my two forthcoming trips. It should happen by mid-June and then I'll revive this thread. Damping is mandatory in front doors with comps IMHO. Thanks everyone once again and we can now turn our attention back to other pressing matters elsewhere on this forum!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks