Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 23:12   #1
BHPian

Best Tweeter placement for Santro Xing

Guys, gurus, need your advice on the best tweeter placement for Santro Xing (or any other car for that matter). I have asked this question privately to a few fellow BHPians, but posted it here in a new thread for the greater public enlightenment. Somewhere I read that tweeter and woofer should be as close as possible to each other for their sound to blend in nicely, and also to get the best frequency response out of a 2-way component system. In contrast and in many other threads, I read about installations in A-pillars, on dash, practically multiple feet away from the woofer.

Which is the correct way to get the perfect or near-perfect imaging and soundstage possible?
Old 26th May 2009, 10:01   #2
BHPian

Rear view mirror Pods.
Old 26th May 2009, 10:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
Rear view mirror Pods.
Hi JB, throwing more variables into the mix- there is a suggestion to try and aim for equal path levels from the left and right side tweeter location to listener's position, something which is just not possible with RVM pods, door pad placements etc.

Of course, the subscribers of this theory suggest kick panels (nearly impossible in our cars) or far-end of the dash-mount for best approximation of equal distances. But then, won't it be too far away from the woofer and perhaps create its own blending problems? Is time alignment the ONLY solution in this scenario?

Also, with door panel (flush mounts), is cross cancellation not an issue since tweeters are perhaps directly facing each other?

Unfortunately, I have remote levers on the inside to operate ORVMs in my Santro, or RVM is anyway ruled out for me. :(
Old 26th May 2009, 10:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Is time alignment the ONLY solution in this scenario?
NO, with the help of phase change this problem can be tackled. The best place in the car for a tweeter is the dash. The right tweeter facing the left listener and vice-versa. As it gives best response and detailing which is required.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
The best place in the car for a tweeter is the dash. The right tweeter facing the left listener and vice-versa. As it gives best response and detailing which is required.
Somehow, I felt as much listening to KPZen's setup- it sounded beautiful and well detailed and I thought it was because of the tweeter position on dash in his Getz. Unfortunately, Santro dash is a bit strangely constructed (over protruding ac vents) and might make it a bit difficult case for installation. Also, LBM, is there a way to statistically gauge the off-axis response of a given set of tweeters?
Old 26th May 2009, 12:55   #6
BHPian

placing tweeters in rear view mirror pods(sail panel) has one major advantage which is a massive soundstage.this position gives you the best LENGHT for soundstage but the only problem is reflected sound and more of a 3D or FAKE kind of sound.
i would suggest tweeters to be placed on dash and if possible at A pillars at ear level.this is by far the best position i have experienced.placing tweeters at a pillar will need an active set up as it would be very difficult to blend it with the mids but if one is able to do it then thats the best way to go.the only disadvantage is a shorter soundstage but great vocals and detailings.
as lbm said the right tweeters should face the left listener and vice versa.
try to place in ON DASH.see my avatar

Last edited by zucchero : 26th May 2009 at 12:57. Reason: forgot to post sumthin
Old 26th May 2009, 13:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Go through sk456's Thread. I find his tweeter location to be the best.
Old 26th May 2009, 14:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
i would suggest tweeters to be placed on dash and if possible at A pillars at ear level.this is by far the best position i have experienced.placing tweeters at a pillar will need an active set up as it would be very difficult to blend it with the mids but if one is able to do it then thats the best way to go.
Thanks Lucky bhaiji, if possible I'd like to audition your setup someday (for reasons much more than checking the tweeter placement ) This thread has already answered a few of my nagging doubts.

1. A-pillar/Dash tweeter placement would require phase correction or an active setup for the perfect blending. Because I can't afford to go active right now, I'll see how best Dash placement can work for me. Of course, I'll be rushing over to Faridabad for the installs ;-).

2. Door panel placement would work best for blending, since the drivers are near to each other. But it throws up a new concern of off-axis response and if tweeters are not really good in off-axis listening, detailing and response would be a major casualty. Please correct me if I am wrong.

@Manan, my Santro has inside levers for ORVM control that I am not willing to sacrifice, so sk456's install can't be followed (I was well tempted by it though).
Old 26th May 2009, 14:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
Go through sk456's Thread. I find his tweeter location to be the best.
Which one, Kick panel (if it is that one then Green would be needing acoustic phase help ) or the A-pillar base ?
Old 26th May 2009, 16:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Which one, Kick panel (if it is that one then Green would be needing acoustic phase help ) or the A-pillar base ?
point is.. can anyone offer him the help with acoustic phase? LBM, would you like to be the one?
Old 26th May 2009, 16:35   #11
BHPian

I would still suggest go for the rear view mirror pods. In that location tweeter will suffer from lesser reflection and they will be in the same plane as midbass.

What phase problems are you facing, IMO you will not have any phase problems. we have done extensive listening in SK's car and after that we have finalised the location (RVM). Earlier the tweeters were put in kick panels because they were too bright to put anywhere else.

Last edited by Autophile : 26th May 2009 at 16:38.
Old 26th May 2009, 17:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
point is.. can anyone offer him the help with acoustic phase? LBM, would you like to be the one?
No Pankaj Bhai no help in that department, was just kidding a bit. I think the A-pillar is the best place for the same.
Old 26th May 2009, 17:38   #13
BHPian

as you dont plan to go active so placing tweeters in A pillar is not worth the time and effort.i completely agree with autophile about placing the tweeters in sail panel.perfect position.
you are more then welcome for an audition bro.anytime.
Old 26th May 2009, 17:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile View Post
I would still suggest go for the rear view mirror pods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
as you dont plan to go active so placing tweeters in A pillar is not worth the time and effort.i completely agree with autophile about placing the tweeters in sail panel.perfect position.
Unfortunately sail panel for me has to be ruled out- otherwise I risk losing my ORVM controls Is there a way we can angle a door panel install to fire at the opposite listeners (driver side door mount firing at passenger's seat and vice versa) and if yes, would this still mean a compromise in soundstage and detailing?
Old 26th May 2009, 18:19   #15
BHPian

yes.there will be a compromise in soundstage and detailing if the tweets are placed in door panel but i guess thats the only option you have.

Most Viewed