Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2009, 22:31   #1
BHPian

Picaso's Esteem ready for an ICE

Hey Guys,

I am planning to go for a new ICE in my car (YES ! I am NOT getting it painted ), and given my zilch technical knowledge I am facing a very hard time browsing through the threads in the ICE section.

To tell you quite frankly, in the OHC we have in the family, I have got a Pioneer 5550 HU, Pio 2150 on the rear and TS20 (I guess!!) on the front. Its a Six year old Setup and I am still quite happy with it. I mean, I generally cannot differentiate between low range or mid range or frequencies or whatever, however when I listen to a system, I can make out the overall difference in the quality.

Now when it comes to HU, I do not need the Ipod Compatibilty, but USB, Aux etc are good enough for me. Infact Bluetooth can also be used. But I am not averse to a HU with ipod compatibilty as well. Browsing through the forums, I have seen that Clarion 785 gets recommended the most.

Speakers - after going through the threads here, my understanding is that components are what gets recommended the most, and they are more complex speakers comapred to normal Co-axials. I am not sure about the size that fits my car, but for the front I guess its 4", and as per a post of sam (4 years old) he mentioned that there were no 4" comps in the market. But since its an old post, what is the status now ? what about rear speakers ?

Amp and Sub-woofer - Given the setup we have in the OHC, that is without the Sub and Amp, do you feel that I am going to need them now ? Actually, it would be good is I am able to do a bit better than the OHC setup.

Wiring and other things - NO IDEA.

So I hope you guys would be able to point me in the right direction, my budget would be around 15-20K.
Old 26th May 2009, 22:59   #2
BHPian

Hi Shashank, here are my two cents:

1. For a budget of 15-20k, your best bet is to invest in a good HU, good components in the front and possibly a cheap 2-channel amp to power these components. If you can stretch your budget by 5-6k extra, getting an active subwoofer/ bass tube will make your setup near complete. For more details, please refer to the parked thread on basic ICE setup at various price points.

2. Clarion has definitely earned rave reviews here, but it can only be ordered from the US. The big reason it gets recommended is three RCA preouts, Time Alignment, USB and iPOD connectivity. Please see if you really need these features (RCA preouts are a must for future expansion) and decide. Your HU should ideally cost around 7-9k

3. Components are universally agreed to make music sound better. People over here prefer at least 6.5" components (6.5" is the radius of the woofer - the bigger driver) for great midbass performance. Of course, you can go up to 8", but anything below 5.25" is not recommended and 4" coax would do just fine in that case. So the advise is to go for a good set of 6.5" components in the front, priced at around 6-8k. It might require you to cut your door panels, but that's a small price to pay for much better sound. You might also need damping of doors at this stage (Rs.3k approx).

4. Components sound best with a dedicated amp. A 2-channel cheap amp can be had for 3-4k. Add wiring cost (around 2-2.5k) and you are done.

5. Next up, you will miss bass. Decide exactly how much you miss it and then conjure up more money and buy a bass tube (cheapest thrill), or a sub-woofer (expensive, will also require you to invest in at least a decent 4-channel amp instead of 2-channel as specified above).

Hope this is helpful. Gurus, please correct me where necessary.
Old 26th May 2009, 23:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Browsing through the forums, I have seen that Clarion 785 gets recommended the most.

Speakers - But since its an old post, what is the status now ? what about rear speakers ?

Amp and Sub-woofer - So I hope you guys would be able to point me in the right direction, my budget would be around 15-20K.
I think the OHC would atleast accomodate 5" speakers in the front if not 6". Hence I would recommend you get the biggest speakers you can fit in the front. On a 20K budget I'd suggest not getting an amp for now. You can add one later. Get a pair of 6x9 for the rear and run them of the HU. Use stock wires supplied by the speaker manufacturer.

HU: 6K from JVC or Pioneer (the Clarion you mentioned sells for more than 10K).
Front Speakers: 5/6" components from JBL GT5 or Blau Thc range 7K
Rear Speakers: 6x9 3 way from JBL GT5 or Blau Thx range. 6K
MDF board for rear deck: 1K
Old 26th May 2009, 23:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I think the OHC would atleast accomodate 5" speakers in the front if not 6".
Navin Sir, this setup is not for OHC but for Esteem. And I guess it can only have 4" on the front.

regarding the HU, I checked it out today, and the clarion one is costing under 9k. The other model is 585 and is around 3k cheaper than 785. The main difference being Time Alignment. Can you please educate me about it ? is it worth the extra buck ?

PS : Just checked, greenhorn has just added to my desire for TA in another thread.

Last edited by Shashank.A : 26th May 2009 at 23:21. Reason: added PS
Old 27th May 2009, 00:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

hi picaso! very happy to see one more esteem being ICED. they are a dying breed, and its very heartening to see one spend money on the esteem anymore.
Anyways, getting back to your dilemma, 15-20k will not get you the whole hog. But you could try getting the Kenwood 5539 with iPod and USB connectivity for about 5.5k.
The front should get a good set of components like the Illusion Electra EL6.1. Mind you, the Illusion Electra is coming up with a revised midbass and heavier duty crossover, alongwith a tweeter that plays slightly lower. Hence you should give the Electra a listen. Should cost you about 6.5-7k.
A good amp like the Blaupunkt GTAMKIV for about 5.5k to power your front components and wiring and installation for about 2.5k
there, 20k and you are ready to go!

PS: Add another 3k and you can put ovals on the rear parcel shelf. These ovals will add to the bass and satiate your desire for the missing frequencies. Remember, the Blaupunkt GTAIV is a 4 Channel amp, hence 2 channels can power the ovals and you will be bass happy..

Cheers!
Old 27th May 2009, 00:26   #6
BHPian

Frank, Thanks for Advice. My name is not Picaso (see my handle), however my esteem is called Picaso's Esteem by some T-bhpians because of the Artwork done on it. But I love my car, all 65 BHP of it.

Couple of Questions - Mine is an Old Esteem, and I am not planning on getting anything cut. What size are Illusion Electra EL6.1, will they fit in the stock position ?
Old 27th May 2009, 00:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

the esteem needs slight cutting (negligible) in the front door sheet metal, and quite a bit of cutting in the door pads. That said, it's not a big deal, and the trade-off is having a 6.5inch midbass upfront, which is quite a huge difference over, say the 4 inchers that fit on the dashboard. I would say, go to a good installer, and you are set.
Do not worry about a little modification to the doors. The final product will be totally worth it.
Old 27th May 2009, 00:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

mr picaso, i'll suggest you to get the clarion and a good set of compos up front. Add a sub and an amp later when you have budget. You'll love it. Investing 20k and going in lower end stuff is not a good option than going for good stuff and adding more stuff later.
Old 27th May 2009, 09:43   #9
BHPian

gys can someone gimme a solid Idea about the import thing. If I order Clarion 785 from US, what happens to duty and all ?

As of now I am getting a quote of $159.99 + Shipping and all, that works out to around $185 that I will pay the website. But what about duties ?
Old 27th May 2009, 10:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
mr picaso, i'll suggest you to get the clarion and a good set of compos up front. Add a sub and an amp later when you have budget. You'll love it. Investing 20k and going in lower end stuff is not a good option than going for good stuff and adding more stuff later.
^ +1. You couldn't have put it better, Abhinav
Old 27th May 2009, 10:25   #11
BHPian

After giving it a thought, even though I am very excited by the idea of adding things later, however am not actually keen on investing more than 15-20k on the ICE. I hardly spend time in my car, less 2-3 hours in a week. A 500-1000 km drive every couple of months, thats probably about it.

So I see no point in putting that kind of money in car specially as stated earlier, I am not Audiophile, and do not understand the nuisances of music. So a half decent setup according to t-bhp standards would be super cool for me.

In addition to letting you know that Pioneer 2150 and TS20 do the job for me, let me also tell you I use Altec Lansing ATP3 for my home PC and they also do the job for me. I hope you are able to gauge my level.

Last edited by Shashank.A : 27th May 2009 at 10:27.
Old 27th May 2009, 10:39   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Navin Sir, this setup is not for OHC but for Esteem.
Sorry. My bad. Apparently all those reports about coffee drinkers being less suspetible to Alzheimers are false. :-)

Quote:
however my esteem is called Picaso's Esteem by some T-bhpians because of the Artwork done on it.
Pics please :-)

Quote:
however am not actually keen on investing more than 15-20k on the ICE.
The bass from a 4" (component or coax) is very limtied. You wont get much below 100Hz.

That sid if you want to retain the 4" stock position and keep the budget under 20K just get a nice HU for 6K, add front (4") and rear (6x9") speakers for 10K and spend a rest on damping the dash.
Old 27th May 2009, 11:28   #13
BHPian

I guess I should get down to drawing board again also need to do some auditioning.

1. Are their any HU in range of 6-7k with TA ? Because 785 seems to be going out of range here.

2. Auditioning points in Delhi ? I have to first experience the 4" and 6.5" comps to make a choice, I remember seeing the JBL center in Lajpat Nagar, what are the other options ?

Last edited by Shashank.A : 27th May 2009 at 11:29.
Old 27th May 2009, 11:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
hi picaso! very happy to see one more esteem being ICED. they are a dying breed, and its very heartening to see one spend money on the esteem anymore.
Franky, you again made me sentimental
Old 27th May 2009, 12:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
The big reason it gets recommended is three RCA preouts, Time Alignment, USB
3 6 Volt Pre outs.

Quote:
Couple of Questions - Mine is an Old Esteem, and I am not planning on getting anything cut. What size are Illusion Electra EL6.1, will they fit in the stock position ?
A little bit of cutting, not to worry, it is certianly worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
the esteem needs slight cutting (negligible) in the front door sheet metal, and quite a bit of cutting in the door pads. That said, it's not a big deal, and the trade-off is having a 6.5inch midbass upfront, which is quite a huge difference over, say the 4 inchers that fit on the dashboard. I would say, go to a good installer, and you are set.
Do not worry about a little modification to the doors. The final product will be totally worth it.

Totally agree to that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks