Team-BHP - Hyundai Santro - Sub & Amp advice needed
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Hyundai Santro - Sub & Amp advice needed (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/59529-hyundai-santro-sub-amp-advice-needed.html)

I was thinking of a small upgrade to my ICE and didn't want to start a new thread so querying here.

My present setup is
HU: Pioneer DEH-P5050UB
Front: Hertz DSK 165 Componets
Rear: Hertz DCX 690 Co-axs

Though I am mightily pleased with the sound I would like to add a lil more to it. I was thinking of adding a sub but something underseat 'cos I don't wan to loose any of the boot space.

I did a lot of searching here and came up with Hertz ES 250.
Is it good ? :confused:
Can it go under seat ?
What should be the box dimension ?
Vented or Sealed ?
Which amp can go with it ?
Would it improve the sound further if I was to add an amp for the speakers alone?

If someone can recommend something that is less costing but equally good it would be so welcome.

Posted this in the Santro ICE - Installation & Tuning Query and think people don't look into old threads:Frustrati ,so staring a new one.

If you are looking at es250 then for sure you can place it under the seat, if i remember correctly its a 10 inch sub and will require atleast a .6 cuft or more enclosure so not possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karankapoor (Post 1325680)
If you are looking at es250 then for sure you can place it under the seat, if i remember correctly its a 10 inch sub and will require atleast a .6 cuft or more enclosure so not possible.

:eek:

was the first line supposed to have a "not"

OH i am so sorry, Yes it is. You cannot place it under the front seat, search the forum for under the seat sub i think we have a thread on the same.

One cannot place a sub under the front seat of a Santro, not because of the box volume required, but because of the situation there:
* Check in your Santro - my Y2K Santro has a wire (connecting the seat shifting catches on left and right) from the top of the rail on one side to the bottom of the other, bang in the middle of the underseat space. One can't put a box there, since removing this wire will prevent the seat from being shifted fore-aft
* The underside of the seat protrudes into the underseat space, leaving only 3" gap. This is too little for a practical box

But, where there is will, there is a way. There are 2 places where you can put a 10" sub:
1. Below the glove box corresponding to the space where the pedals are on the driver's side. Too irregular for a regular box, but you can always mount the sub in OB mounting. Visualize the under-edge of the glove box connected to the floor, with the baffle slanting back to give enough space for the passenger's feet. A grill can protect the sub from being inadvertently kicked
2. Use one side of the boot (preferably the right side; the left has the petrol pipe) right above the wheel well protrusion. This will need FG work to create a box - couple of K, but this is a method often used to mount subs leaving the boot usable

Find a good sub in the market (are you sure you can procure ES250?) and then visualize with the dimensions and specs of the sub. Even an 8" can do a decent job if the sub is good.

Don't forget you will need an amp too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 1326106)
* Check in your Santro - my Y2K Santro has a wire (connecting the seat shifting catches on left and right) from the top of the rail on one side to the bottom of the other, bang in the middle of the underseat space. One can't put a box there, since removing this wire will prevent the seat from being shifted fore-aft

Isn't this there in all cars ? I remember noticing this in Indica.

Quote:

2. Use one side of the boot (preferably the right side; the left has the petrol pipe) right above the wheel well protrusion. This will need FG work to create a box - couple of K, but this is a method often used to mount subs leaving the boot usable

I have seen few cars with such an install and would definitely prefer that but can such be one on a santro !!

Quote:

Find a good sub in the market (are you sure you can procure ES250?) and then visualize with the dimensions and specs of the sub. Even an 8" can do a decent job if the sub is good.

Don't forget you will need an amp too.

Another reason for opening this thread was to know of this products availability or receive suggestions about similar sub. Though not mind numbing bass i would like something pleasant and if it can be achieved even with an 8", then I am totally for it.

Amp I have no clue. I don't want the complete upgrading to be outrageously expensive.

I like the setup by Gunbir Spare Wheel Well Sub. But how will the sound quality be. And on the same spare wheel topic can an enclosure be created in the form of the space in the spare wheel ? Or even some sort of fabrication similar to ones done on the sides ?

I think I am asking a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobinjv (Post 1326505)
Isn't this there in all cars ? I remember noticing this in Indica.

No, most have the left and right catches connect directly to the handle that unlatches them, so there is nothing that is protruding or using under-seat space.
Quote:

I have seen few cars with such an install and would definitely prefer that but can such be one on a santro !!

Of course. Can be done by anyone with FG experience. You could also do it yourself (just needs some courage) - search for the step by step description by someone who did it himself, it is there in the DIY section, I think.
Quote:

... products availability or receive suggestions about similar sub ... an 8", then I am totally for it.

I am sure Polk has an 8" sub - someone just bought it in Bangalore. There may be others, especially 10" ones. Ask around in Chennai. You have to pound the beat and keep asking till you get one. Avoid smaller shops, they may not know.
Quote:

Amp I have no clue. I don't want the complete upgrading to be outrageously expensive.

The best for you would be a good 4-ch amp that gives 50-60W RMS per channel. Something like a Blaupunkt GT4 Special Mk 2, or JBL GT5-A604, or Kenwood 8404. Should cost about 6K + some for RCA and other wiring. Use 2 channels to power the front speaker (it will make a world of difference), and bridge the other 2 to power the sub. Rear speakers, if any, can be powered from the HU.
Quote:

I like the setup by Gunbir Spare Wheel Well Sub. But how will the sound quality be ...

Would sound a tad boomy since it is an OB mounting, not that it is bad. If it is good for Gunbir, it would be good for others. There is no fabrication possible or needed - it is just a sheet of MDF cut to size and seated properly.
Quote:

I think I am asking a lot.

Huh? What's that?

The Polk Momo 8" is infact really good and it was bought in chennai by Fountainheader, check out his show off thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 1326610)
I am sure Polk has an 8" sub - someone just bought it in Bangalore. There may be others, especially 10" ones. Ask around in Chennai. You have to pound the beat and keep asking till you get one. Avoid smaller shops, they may not know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sathee46 (Post 1326631)
The Polk Momo 8" is infact really good and it was bought in chennai by Fountainheader, check out his show off thread.

Polk eh. Is it really that good. As for the install I am left to do it in Kerala, Kochi to be specific. Been only to one shop there also :Frustrati.

Quote:

Huh? What's that?

I meant I was asking a lot of questions

hey let me know when you decide on the AMP + SUB, iam in similar situation as yours but i've a strict budget at the moment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobinjv (Post 1327468)
As for the install I am left to do it in Kerala, Kochi to be specific. Been only to one shop there also :Frustrati.

Then you can check the Emperor,palarivattom.They might help you to resolve the problems with the subs.:)

You missed two things:

1) a limit on budget
2) audition of cars with 8/10 inch ; ported or IB.

Quote:

Of course. Can be done by anyone with FG experience. You could also do it yourself (just needs some courage) - search for the step by step description by someone who did it himself, it is there in the DIY section, I think.

Would sound a tad boomy since it is an OB mounting, not that it is bad. If it is good for Gunbir, it would be good for others. There is no fabrication possible or needed - it is just a sheet of MDF cut to size and seated properly.

I took a few pictures of Santro's boot and then kept a thin sheet and took a few more. There is a depth of 3 inches facing back and 3.5 inches depth facing forward. A near 7 inch height can be achieved facing forward. Can a sub be accommodated in this ??

I doubt anyone in Kerala can pull a good FG. End effect was what was talked about so much here now it seems the effect is not got at that end.

I like the idea of DIY but courage of getting a neat work is some what lacking. I searched the thread over and over but could get any suitable results except for blueraven's zen and the Bling Bling Zen there aren't many out here. One pic was there in a thread by Gunbir and another in a thread about SX4.

Now, another doubt. What is the inside of the Fiberglass enclosure filled with ? Won't it be a bit boomy just like you said about the OB mounting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jithudigitised (Post 1327498)
Then you can check the Emperor,palarivattom.They might help you to resolve the problems with the subs.:)

Did all my install there. Planning on taking it there once I can decide on something. Its quite far, say 100+ KM, from home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1327551)
You missed two things:

1) a limit on budget
2) audition of cars with 8/10 inch ; ported or IB.

Budget Hmmm. Say 10k Could stretch it to 15 i suppose, but would love it if it falls below 10 :D

Now where can I get an audition JK. Don't have that many contacts and to reach TVM or EKM is 100 km.

P.S: The car is a bit messy. Non stop traveling nowadays :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobinjv (Post 1327468)
Polk eh. Is it really that good. As for the install I am left to do it in Kerala, Kochi to be specific. ...

Since your location shows Chennai too, perhaps you can hook up with @fountainheader sometime and audition his setup. Polk is quite good, just that their components sound a bit bright to most people. The Polk sub is unlikely to suffer from the "bright" malady.
I had understood your expression the first time around. Ask as many questions as you want, buddy, nobody minds that here.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jobinjv (Post 1327563)
... There is a depth of 3 inches facing back and 3.5 inches depth facing forward. A near 7 inch height can be achieved facing forward. Can a sub be accommodated in this ??

You could get a couple of inches more depth if you go till the edge of the hatch opening. Measure height from boot floor to the bottom of the parcel shelf mounting bracket. With that, the box will have a decent volume.

Quote:

... I like the idea of DIY but courage of getting a neat work is some what lacking. ...

Even the guys who climbed Mt.Everest started by climbing small hills. Don't let 'neatness' worry you - you can hide all flaws with body filler and carpeting. There is another thread by someone from Hyderabad - memory fails me, please search again.

Quote:

... Now, another doubt. What is the inside of the Fiberglass enclosure filled with ? Won't it be a bit boomy just like you said about the OB mounting.

Air :D! OK, I know what you mean - Polyfill, the same as synthetic fibre filling in pillows/cushions.
No, since you will build a small sealed enclosure, it will not be boomy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 1327600)
Even the guys who climbed Mt.Everest started by climbing small hills. Don't let 'neatness' worry you - you can hide all flaws with body filler and carpeting.

So, under seat is out and side wall is in. Now I think i will have to take up the project my self. In which case how should the sub be pointing, towards front, back or straight. I would seriously like it straight.

Don't I have to mold the complete ABS on the right, think it is a single unit and the keep the legs and rings on that and then complete the FG.

Quote:

You could get a couple of inches more depth if you go till the edge of the hatch opening. Measure height from boot floor to the bottom of the parcel shelf mounting bracket. With that, the box will have a decent volume.

On that line another doubt how much space should be there from the base of the sub to the side wall.

Quote:

Since your location shows Chennai too, perhaps you can hook up with @fountainheader sometime and audition his setup. Polk is quite good, just that their components sound a bit bright to most people. The Polk sub is unlikely to suffer from the "bright" malady.

Would be traveling to Chennai in the coming days but don't think I can arrange an audition, very short on time.

Quote:

The Polk sub is unlikely to suffer from the "bright" malady.

Any other suggestions. Any in JBL or Hertz. Are Hertz subs expensive?

Quote:

Something like a Blaupunkt GT4 Special Mk 2, or JBL GT5-A604, or Kenwood 8404. Should cost about 6K + some for RCA and other wiring. Use 2 channels to power the front speaker (it will make a world of difference), and bridge the other 2 to power the sub. Rear speakers, if any, can be powered from the HU.

Now I did a little searching here people seem to like the Kenwood 8404 except one or two who mentioned it as bright. So which would you suggest ? What prices are these being sold ? If you where to choose any one, money over performance, which would it be and which would it be if it where to be performance over money ?

Oh and would I need to do damping.

Quote:

There is another thread by someone from Hyderabad - memory fails me, please search again.

Any idea yet ?

Will need to make a trip to Kochi once I am back but troubled on that too. Emperor or Galaxy. Never been to Galaxy and donno where it is too :Frustrati. Emperor been good but it comes down to understanding the need and doing the needed.