Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 17:20   #1
BHPian

Question on Amp & Volt for powering up device

Hi,

I searched but couldn't found any place for this. Mods please move this request if required.

I have gone thru many discussions on using CAR audio for Home.....I do understand pro-cons of this, but finally I have made up my mind to use my car audio system in home. Now I have following question.

I have Sony Amplifier which needs 12V DC with 40 Amp current as input. As I have problem finding out this kind of powersupply in bangalore (I tried JC Road & SP Road), so decided to use SMPS of computer as power source.

Now Question is: If I supply proper 12V DC with lesser Amp current then the required, will it adversely effect the device? In this case will it damage my Amp in any way? I had a talk with couple of my friends but no satisfactory answer......Probably anyone with Electrical/Electronics background can help me out...

Please do let me know your views....Anyways meanwhile I have already started using my Car Player with oval speakers at home (using SMPS of one of my old computer).... I can share detailed DIY in case if anyone is interested.

Thanks in Advance.
Pradip.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th June 2009 at 18:20. Reason: please read note in post
Old 5th June 2009, 12:27   #2
BHPian

Hi, Nice work. If you doubt if the SMPS will stand that much current, check by increasing the volume on songs with heavy Bass. These are the peak current cases. If the SMPS seems to get over loaded, it will trip by itself. Nothing else will happen. All you have to do is just restart the SMPS. Still it wokrs, then continue with the same.
Meanwhile check the ratings of the SMPS. The yellow wire will be rated to 10A max I think. The 40A you had mentioned, sounds too high. HAd u made use of an AT or ATX Smps?
Old 5th June 2009, 13:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Pradip,

For an amplifier to sound really right and powerful, it needs more than 13V.

You do get power supplies that will deliver you that kind of amperage (While they may be SMPS based, they are far more powerful than your computer SMPS which is not designed to deliver any current close to that)

These power supplies will cost more than your amplifier.

Transformer based supplies with transformers in conjunction to each other can also work. You may not need 40amps for that sony, 15A might suffice. But this is all quite futile. I don't suggest you use that amplifier at home.
Old 5th June 2009, 14:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

No, the amp itself will not be affected if your power supply is unable to supply the full current needed. If the amp draws high currents, the voltage of the PS will reduce, which will reduce the power output of the amp. This means that your amp will always limit itself to a certain loudness. Difficult to put an exact value to that, since you may find that the loudness you are getting at levels below that situation itself is very loud for you. Please don't use the PC SMPS for this - the 12V in SMPS has a low current rating (limit of good regulation till it trips).

Surprised that you did not find a suitable "eliminator" on SP Road (not JC Road) or SP Lane (SP Road is beside the park, SP Lane is parallel to it away from the park). A 12V 40A unit will not be cheap (likely to be 5K at least), but I doubt if you need that. A 12V 10A should be good enough if you do not intend to use it as a PA system.

Start by asking at Globe Electronics. If they don't have it or can't make it, they will be able to guide you to someone who can or has it. There are many small shops on SP Lane who do a roaring business of mounting a car radio in small cabinet for selling in rural areas - they have ready made "eliminators".
Old 5th June 2009, 17:36   #5
BHPian

My friend was using a Car Amp at home. He was powering it through a Car Battery for which he had bought a charger also.

As Sam says it is all quite futile and not at all suggested.
Old 5th June 2009, 18:01   #6
BHPian

all you need is a " battery eliminator", as suggested by deralte , these are very easily available on SP road, if they are not readily available, they can be made.

Power = voltage * current. so if the current is less than required the power input to the amp will be less, which inturn will make the output of the amp less.

using a power supply source with less current rating than required, will actually cause the power supply to fail.
Old 5th June 2009, 18:50   #7
BHPian

First of all thanks to all for all your help. Also, as I had mentioned I was told by most of all whom I asked for help that "don't do it, better to have home audio". Anyways as I have made up my mind to do it, let's see how it goes.

Now following are my responses:
Ilangop: I am having two ATX SMPS. One is old with less Amp that I am using to power up my Kenwood Player (this set up is already working fine). Another one is having 30A for 12V which I had planned to use for powering up my Sony Amp, but worried what if it damages my Amp. Now planning to take a chance.

Sam: Thanks for your valuable suggestion on required current. Also, I do agree with you as the 40amp rating is for max output performance. Lesser should do.

DerAlte: I got many eliminators on SP Road but all were with less Amps. Also as you & Siddartha suggested I found one place (forgot the name of shop) who are specialize in making different power supply. They were ready to provide me against my order but they were quite busy & after knowing the reason, they suggested that 40amp is really not required.

WanderNomad: Car Battery will work but two major problem with that: The total setup will be messy & the charger will not be fast enough, I mean if you use it for some time, battery will drain out soon & charger will take it's own time to make it ready for more use. Typically all car accessories shop have this kind of set up, but their usage will be only for Demo, not like regular one.

Siddartha: Regarding availability I have already mentioned above. As far as failure of power supply is concern, I am happy that atleast I can bare that thing compare to my Amplifier.

Finally, tomorrow I am planning to do a trial run with what all I have. Let's see how it works. But problem is I need to buy Sub as I don't have one. If possible I'll do a trial with & without sub.

Once again thanks for all your valuable inputs and let the flow continue.

Pradip.
Old 8th June 2009, 11:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post

Finally, tomorrow I am planning to do a trial run with what all I have. Let's see how it works. But problem is I need to buy Sub as I don't have one. If possible I'll do a trial with & without sub.
Please be aware that the current requirement is negligible if there is no speaker attached to the amplifier. The load only begins after the sub or speakers are attached.
Basically the amp will turn on even with a 12V 1A supply if there are no speakers attached to it.
Old 24th June 2009, 15:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
First of all thanks to all for all your help. Also, as I had mentioned I was told by most of all whom I asked for help that "don't do it, better to have home audio". Anyways as I have made up my mind to do it, let's see how it goes.

WanderNomad: Car Battery will work but two major problem with that: The total setup will be messy & the charger will not be fast enough, I mean if you use it for some time, battery will drain out soon & charger will take it's own time to make it ready for more use. Typically all car accessories shop have this kind of set up, but their usage will be only for Demo, not like regular one.

Pradip.
Hi, I have used the car amps to pump out the deep bass in my hostel days. I used the battery setup as suggested by wandernomad and it worked flawless.

Advantages: Pure dc current, no chances of amp/charger burnout, amp draws the current as per its requirement (need not have to adjust/compromise on ampere rating)
Disadvantage: Battery get drained out after a week or so, slightly messy.

I used brand new 60Ah battery and that used to pull atleast week before draining out. You leave it overnight for charging (or maybe leave it connected all time) and again its ready for another week. Mind it I use to run it almost whole day. The amp I was using Sony 222 (later upgraded to Sony 444).

Made the setup for my gadget and sound freak friend as well, he still retains it and admits that it sounds far better as compared to his Bose HT (in terms of pure deep bass). Courtesy pure DC voltage.

Most Viewed