Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 01:46   #1
BHPian

Car HU for home audio use?

Folks,

Is it possible to use a car audio HU for home audio use? I plan to hook it up to a Yamaha 2 channel integrated amplifier. I guess the fader controls can be used to ensure that the sound doesnt get sent to the wrong pre-out. I was wondering if it would be possible to set up a stable way to power the HU which wouldnt interfere with the SQ. Any tips/guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jaibir
Old 7th June 2009, 02:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Jaibir,

Yes, it is indeed possible to do the same.
  • Buy an excellent quality 3A or 5A 12V DC supply with a filter capacitor of 6800mfd or more.
  • Run an RCA cable from the rear out of the HU to the Yamaha amplifier.
  • Run an additional wire to make sure that the chassis of the HU and the chassis of the amplifier are directly connected to each other.
  • Use only one volume control. Either the HU or the amplifier. I recommend you set the volume control of the amplifier once and then use the HU volume control.
Cheers,
Sam
Old 7th June 2009, 12:57   #3
BHPian

Thanks for that Sam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
  • Run an additional wire to make sure that the chassis of the HU and the chassis of the amplifier are directly connected to each other.
Is this for earthing?
Old 7th June 2009, 13:30   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
Thanks for that Sam.

Is this for earthing?
Not electrical earthing in the classic usage.

This is just experience. I've often used car HUs that gave no audio till the chassis was common with the home amplifier. Something to do with floating ground and separate audio and electrical grounds.
Old 7th June 2009, 16:23   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the help Sam.

Already have the amp lined up and the HU in mind. Guess I better start looking for the 12v power supply and start thinking of suitable bookshelves. Ideal would be the old Wharfedale Diamond 8.2. Unfortunately they are discontinued and the successors dont seem to have the same character.

Last edited by jaibir : 7th June 2009 at 16:26.
Old 7th June 2009, 17:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the help Sam.

Already have the amp lined up and the HU in mind. Guess I better start looking for the 12v power supply and start thinking of suitable bookshelves. Ideal would be the old Wharfedale Diamond 8.2. Unfortunately they are discontinued and the successors dont seem to have the same character.

Also give the Tannoy F1 customs a listen. A little pricier than the Wharfedales but punch above their price class IMHO. Had put them up against the Dynaudio Focus 140s, running off a Jolida CDP, Krell integrated and second-from top Nordost cabling. They acquitted themselves pretty well. They would sound good paired with slightly lively ancillaries as they are a little dark and mellow sounding themselves.

Last edited by Flying Bong : 7th June 2009 at 17:45.
Old 7th June 2009, 19:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
a Jolida CDP, Krell integrated and second-from top Nordost cabling.
They would sound good paired with slightly lively ancillaries as they are a little dark and mellow sounding themselves.
Would you give the guy a break Bong? He plans to use a Pioneer car stereo has has lying around at home for his home hi-fi.

You high-end no-gooders... shaking head sadly.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 7th June 2009 at 19:44.
Old 7th June 2009, 22:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Would you give the guy a break Bong? He plans to use a Pioneer car stereo has has lying around at home for his home hi-fi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
Jaibir: which head unit you are planning to use at home?
Actually plan to buy an Eclipse CD3100 for this. Couldnt find a decent CD player for under 10k that supports MP3s as well. Either you get the "jack of all trades" DVD players (which cant be navigated without a TV) or go well north of 15k for a quality CD player that supports MP3.

@Sam, the pioneer has been left with the installer to see if it can be sold. If not, I'll probably hook it up with a creative 2.1 that I have lying around and put it in the guest bedroom. Given that it has 3 pre-outs might go the whole hog and get a 5.1 for it
Old 8th June 2009, 15:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Am planning to do something like this too. Have a couple of HUs & amps lying around (Not willing to sell).

@Sam... running a wire meaning literally holding the amp & HU together ?
Old 8th June 2009, 16:54   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
@Sam... running a wire meaning literally holding the amp & HU together ?
A wire from one chassis to another. Like you could unscrew one of the screws, wrap the wire round it and do the same with the other unit.

That's what I mean.
Old 8th June 2009, 17:35   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post

Also give the Tannoy F1 customs a listen. .
Quote:
Would you give the guy a break Bong?.
no no Sam, Bongo was recomending the F1 which I will second as very good speakers for the money. Next step up is the Quad 11L (twice the price).
Old 8th June 2009, 18:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
A wire from one chassis to another. Like you could unscrew one of the screws, wrap the wire round it and do the same with the other unit.

That's what I mean.
And let the wire be with thick gauge.
Old 19th June 2009, 10:40   #13
BHPian

Update

Finally didnt need to do the jugaad for a car HU as I got a great deal on a lightly used Nad C515BEE.

On the speakers, I auditioned around 8-10 pairs from Polk, Kef, Energy, Sonodyne, Wharfedale, and Yamaha. Couldn't really audition the Tannoys though. No one seemed to have them for demo, although some were selling them against order. At the end of the day, the Wharfedale 9.2 seemed the best of the lot (nice, warm sound) but wasn't really convincing (lack of detail, especially after listening to a Kef IQ10 pair, which had clinical precision but seems utterly soulless). At the end of the day, I picked up a pair of Yamaha floorstanders for 10.8k (good discount as its last year's model). These pair well with the amp I have and offered better sound than anything else at that price point although still not really convincing (muddy and slightly overbearing bass, lack of detail but otherwise reasonably competent). Figure this is good enough as an interim solution. I'm thinking of sourcing a better amp from London at a later date (will decide between Nad and CA alternatives after a few auditions along with speakers).
Old 19th June 2009, 11:07   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally didnt need to do the jugaad for a car HU as I got a great deal on a lightly used Nad C515BEE.

On the speakers, I auditioned around 8-10 pairs from Polk, Kef, Energy, Sonodyne, Wharfedale, and Yamaha. Couldn't really audition the Tannoys though.

still not really convincing (muddy and slightly overbearing bass, lack of detail but otherwise reasonably competent). Figure this is good enough as an interim solution. I'm thinking of sourcing a better amp from London at a later date (will decide between Nad and CA alternatives after a few auditions along with speakers).
1. I believe the Tannoys are available at LaKozy.
2. In the list I would looked at PSB.
3. If you are importing an amp include Rotel and Marantz in that list.

Last edited by navin : 19th June 2009 at 11:09.
Old 19th June 2009, 11:30   #15
BHPian

Thanks for the tip about the Tannoys. Will give them a listen next time I'm that side of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
2. In the list I would looked at PSB.
I didnt realise they were available in my budget range or would have auditioned them. Any idea where I can demo them in Mumbai?

I've heard some PSB platinum series towers and came away unconvinced. Heard a pair of Dynaudio standmounts on the same Nad CDP+amp setup and those sounded much better (to my ears). The gent who'se setup it is prefers the PSB's though.

Will include the Rotel and Marantz amps. Plan to audition a few in the coming weeks before deciding. Basically need to nail down the amp + speaker combo before buying either.

Last edited by jaibir : 19th June 2009 at 11:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks