Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 02:35   #1
BHPian

Help: Problem with new install(MTX Audio)

Car: Indigo CS TDI
Desires:Rainbow, ID + Alpine + Audison/Genesis
Reasons: Prefer SQ. (Although never auditioned above brands).
Listening Preferences:Bollywood music (Rehman, Shankar Ehsaan Loy), Pakistani Sufi Rock/Pop(Junoon,Strings), Indi-pop (Euphoria), English Pop,Rock and an occasional dose of World Music.
Sources: Audio CDs, (or uncompressed wave files on an external HDD/Pen Drive). No MP3s due to SQ reasons.

Reality Check: All desires were pre recessionary.
Now - Budget - 35 K

Got the following installed:

1. MTX Components. 7k
2. MTX Subwoofer. 12k
3. Kenwood 6043 HU. - 9k
4. Kenwood 8401 Amp. 5k
5. JBL Power Kit. - 2k

No damping was done.

Problem: Initially, the sound was horrendous and offending, like a cheap DJ playing somewhere. I didn't find the setup to be SQ oriented at all. It was loud, shrill and distorted.
Thankfully, a knowledgeable gentleman came into picture, tweaked a few settings on the HU and on the AMP... the system sounded way better... but I could not term the sound as qualitative.

I dont know may be it has to do with the tuning or with the MTX brand or with 8401, the sound is all over the place and there is no seamless integration between mids, highs and lows.

The dealer is very co-operative and is ready to let me have a look at other options.

The questions:

1. What could be the problem:
  • MTX brand?
  • 8401 settings?
  • Damping?
  • 6043HU?
  • My ears? (I am going nuts!)
2. What is the solution
  • Bull Compos?
  • Rainbow Compos?
  • 8404 Amp?
  • Damping? How much?
  • Replacing MTX sub with a SQ+SPLsub (Currently there is a lot of boom and reflection of low frequencies in my car). Neither their is SQ not their is a tight kick from the sub.
help asap. I will go back to dealer within the next 3 days.
Old 10th June 2009, 18:08   #2
BHPian

46 views and no response yet... Still waiting for an enlightened soul to help on team-bhp.
Old 10th June 2009, 19:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ok there you go till the GURUs of ICE comes to your resque.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...implified.html

Try setting the gains using this thread and i'm sure it will help.
Old 10th June 2009, 19:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

1. MTX is generally known more as an SPL brand.
2. sounds like the tuning of the sub box might have gone wrong. is it a boxed sub, or an aftermarket enclosure ?

you can still try playing around with the settings, especially the crossovers
Old 10th June 2009, 20:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
1. MTX is generally known more as an SPL brand.
2. sounds like the tuning of the sub box might have gone wrong. is it a boxed sub, or an aftermarket enclosure ?

you can still try playing around with the settings, especially the crossovers
Thanks for the reply. The sub is a boxed one (boxed by company itself).
Old 10th June 2009, 20:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...implified.html

Try setting the gains using this thread and i'm sure it will help.
Hi kumargandharva, I'll try and keep you entertained while the Gurus arrive. Use the above source but not for gain settings (not unless you hear clipped sound), but for tuning the crossover settings (LPF, HPF on your amp). High chance it could just be a case of bad tuning on the part of your installer. Other things to check before you start the real blame game:

1. Set all EQ, Bass Boost etc settings in HU to flat. Disable any kind of sound processing: BMQ, Sound Enhancer, Sound Surrounder, whatever is the fancy name given in your HU. Do this before you do any crossover tuning in the amp.

2. Check other CDs in your car. Check your reference CD in a friend's car (preferably the same car model). Try and ascertain where your car audio is going wrong.

3. Hope your install is done correctly (primarily speaking, tweeters are in good location). If possible, please post pics of the install.

4. Set your expectations right. 840* amp has its share of admirers and fan boys, but there are many here who wouldn't touch it with a stick if they were looking for SQ. I haven't read much about MTX components over here, but a member in Chandigarh is happy with his pair, but greenhorn (my namesake) has made a statement you should keep in mind.

All said, I earnestly hope you do find your desired SQ without disbanding the entire system! It's a very frustrating to have spent nearly all your budget and still get nowhere close to the expected SQ- I've been through it before. I hope you sort out everything and can write long posts in praise of your setup pretty soon!

Last edited by greenh0rn : 10th June 2009 at 20:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks