Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2009, 22:11   #1
BHPian

ICE for GETZ CRDi - Need direction with 2 options

Dear Guru's

I am in search of a good Basic ICE setup for my to-be-delivered Getz CRDi. I have couple of options and have auditioned both these configurations:

ICE Option GZ & Illusion (Opt1)
Pioneer HU - 4150 USB (3 RCA Out) : 7000
Font 2 Components - Illusion Electra 6.1 : 6400
Rear 2 SP Coax 6.5" - Alpine / Polk / illusion : 3000
4 ch amp - Blaupunkt GTA4 Special Mark II : 6300
Damping (Armacell / Noise Kill) for 2 doors + Boot : 3000
Subwoofer – Ground Zero Titanium GZTW 12MK2 : 5500
Sub Enclosure : 1200
Wiring Kit : 2500
Wooden Rings (2 Pair) : 400
Harness : 250
MDF Board : 650
Install : 1500
Total ICE Option 1 : 37700

ICE Option JBL Comps & Sub (Opt2)
Font 2 Components - JBL GTO 608C : 3900
Damping (Armacell / Noise Kill) for 2 doors + Boot : 3000
JBL GT5 S12 / 10 - 1200watt 12" Sub : 2600
Sub Enclosure : 1200
Wiring Kit : 2500
Wooden Rings (2 Pair) : 400
Install : 1500
Total ICE Option 2 : 32300

The JBL setup was on d_himan's Swift, the only difference here is the Amp which was Kenwood 8401c. I haven't listed it as an option coz its unavailable in the market.

The Illusions + GZ combi was on Nishant's Getz.

Both setups sounded equally good, Nishant's setup was less boomier compared to the JBL setup (Can also be attributed to the fact that his HU has a separate SUB control whereas Himan's older generation Kenwood did not have it).

The only thing I wanted to ask you folks before I decide is whether the GZ + illusion setup is really worth the price, am trying to understand if its worth paying 5K more for it ?

Both the quotes are from FM Drive. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 15th June 2009, 23:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Go for the GZ-Illusion combo if you have liked and its upto your taste, trust your ears.
I am not sure if the GZ mk2 subs are still available. Others can conform on this.
Old 16th June 2009, 00:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Let me strongly recommend that you take the Pioneer HU out of the list.
Even the cheapest alpine would do.
Old 16th June 2009, 06:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I am not sure if the GZ mk2 subs are still available.
Even I thought so, ill call Pankaj from FM Drive and confirm back. Any idea of whether the new GZ will be better / worse than MK2 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Let me strongly recommend that you take the Pioneer HU out of the list.
Even the cheapest alpine would do.
I have a budget of 7k only for the HU and I need USB with 3 RCA out, doubt whether I will get that in Alpine at this price.
Old 16th June 2009, 10:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4strings View Post
Dear Guru's

I am in search of a good Basic ICE setup for my to-be-delivered Getz CRDi. I have couple of options and have auditioned both these configurations:

ICE Option GZ & Illusion (Opt1)
Subwoofer – Ground Zero Titanium GZTW 12MK2 : 5500
1. I would strongly recommend going for a different HU. Pioneer is quite bright and tends to be harsh on long drives/extended listening.

At that price point, I would suggest Kenwood 5539/6043/6539 (whetever is available).

2. Since you will be the only one driving, I think you can do away with the rear coaxs. You heard my car, and frankly most people who audition it cannot make out that it has no rear fills.

The 3k saved there can be put into a better HU - maybe Alpine or Clarion DXZ785USB.

3. I doubt whether you can get GZ12MKII still. AFAIK, it is phased out. But if you do manage to get it, nothing like it.

4. I feel the price for Blau amp is high. I paid the exact same price (at FM Drive) last Aug. So it must be lower now. I have heard that its slightly lower than 6k right now with B&W.

5. Whats the harness for? I too have the Getz and did not need one.

6. Whats the MDF board for? Amp mounting on the rear seat? If yes, then you need a very small piece and IMO, should not be more than 250 bucks. Agreed, its a minor amount, but then every penny saved is worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4strings View Post
ICE Option JBL Comps & Sub (Opt2)
JBL GT5 S12 / 10 - 1200watt 12" Sub : 2600

The JBL setup was on d_himan's Swift, the only difference here is the Amp which was Kenwood 8401c. I haven't listed it as an option coz its unavailable in the market.

The Illusions + GZ combi was on Nishant's Getz.

Both setups sounded equally good, Nishant's setup was less boomier compared to the JBL setup (Can also be attributed to the fact that his HU has a separate SUB control whereas Himan's older generation Kenwood did not have it).

The only thing I wanted to ask you folks before I decide is whether the GZ + illusion setup is really worth the price, am trying to understand if its worth paying 5K more for it ?

Both the quotes are from FM Drive. Thanks in advance guys.
Deepak's install must have sounded boomier because of the JBL sub (my guess). All the installs that I heard on the JBL sub were slightly boomier vis-a-vis GZ sub. But then, thats my liking so I went with GZ in a small, tight, sealed box.

Also, the Pioneer HU that you selected must be having separate sub control also.

Moreover, I did not see any wiring (RCA+Power) in both the options. Did you miss that or the installer didnt quote?

Go for a good brand of RCAs else you will face the infamous Alternator Whine which the Pioneer is likely to introduce in your setup sooner or later.
Old 16th June 2009, 10:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

i would ay option say with some changes but some other head !!

4150 is a very basic head !!!
Old 16th June 2009, 15:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
1. I would strongly recommend going for a different HU. Pioneer is quite bright and tends to be harsh on long drives/extended listening.

At that price point, I would suggest Kenwood 5539/6043/6539 (whetever is available).

Hmmm. Ill hunt around for a differnt HU then, liked Kenwood's - they were very musical and my kind.

2. Since you will be the only one driving, I think you can do away with the rear coaxs. You heard my car, and frankly most people who audition it cannot make out that it has no rear fills.

Actually I thought about that, but if I do get a chauffeur sometime in the future then I will need some rear coaxes to just fill in the sound in the entire cabin. One thing I can consider is to go for a JBL 6.5" coax since itll work out cheaper.

The 3k saved there can be put into a better HU - maybe Alpine or Clarion DXZ785USB.

3. I doubt whether you can get GZ12MKII still. AFAIK, it is phased out. But if you do manage to get it, nothing like it.

The current GZ would be better than MKII ?

4. I feel the price for Blau amp is high. I paid the exact same price (at FM Drive) last Aug. So it must be lower now. I have heard that its slightly lower than 6k right now with B&W.

Thanks for telling me, I have realised that I need to squeeze the rate out of him.

5. Whats the harness for? I too have the Getz and did not need one.

I suppose the Getz Prime needs it, but then again I could be wrong.

6. Whats the MDF board for? Amp mounting on the rear seat? If yes, then you need a very small piece and IMO, should not be more than 250 bucks. Agreed, its a minor amount, but then every penny saved is worth it.

I was actually planning to mount it on the side of the boot and hence he gave me a quote for 650 bucks. Actually I am still a little undecided on this coz I will tend to lug equipment around and if I collapse the seat then the amp sits right on top .... Unable to decide actually.

Deepak's install must have sounded boomier because of the JBL sub (my guess). All the installs that I heard on the JBL sub were slightly boomier vis-a-vis GZ sub. But then, thats my liking so I went with GZ in a small, tight, sealed box.

Also, the Pioneer HU that you selected must be having separate sub control also.

Moreover, I did not see any wiring (RCA+Power) in both the options. Did you miss that or the installer didnt quote?

Go for a good brand of RCAs else you will face the infamous Alternator Whine which the Pioneer is likely to introduce in your setup sooner or later.

Which brand would you recommend and what would the price be ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
i would ay option say with some changes but some other head !!

4150 is a very basic head !!!
Hunting for one at this stage, will keep you guys posted.

Many thanks for the inputs people This is really helping.
Old 16th June 2009, 15:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

1. Check out the Clarion vs Alpine Vs kenwood thread. They are planning to fo a Group Order. You can join the bandwagon for a Clarion DXZ785USB, in case you liked my HU.

2. If JBL coaxs is what you want, you can get the GT6563 for as low as Rs 1500 in grey, from Opera House. Not a bad deal at all, I must add.

3. Havent heard the current GZ sub so cannot comment. But I absolutely love the MKII

4. Do not install the amp on the boot sidewall. I did that and suffered minor scratches during loading/unloading of luggage, not to mention the rattling issue of the plastic sidewall after a while. Put it on the back of the rear seat. You can still fold it down. I do it many times. You should have asked me that day, I would have demonstrated it right there.

5. I am using GZ RCAs. They cost Rs 1190 each. Pretty good.
Old 16th June 2009, 23:04   #9
BHPian

1) Damping depends on the amount used so check in 3000 how much are you getting ? should be 20 sq feet.
2)the new entry level GZ sounds fantastic but it will push your budget to 40K. check if the MK2 you getting is a new or used piece ?
3)Pio HU price is on the higher side.
4) What wiring kit ? what gauge wiring ?

All your prices are on the higher side. Please sit and work out the pricing.
Old 16th June 2009, 23:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Get a JVC 4ch amp, save some money, buy a better HU.. Pio + GZ + Illusion is waste of money.
Old 17th June 2009, 01:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Get a JVC 4ch amp, save some money, buy a better HU.. Pio + GZ + Illusion is waste of money.
Oye...Our KpGetz is a guru

Get another HU like Clarion or Eclipse
Old 17th June 2009, 09:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
1) Damping depends on the amount used so check in 3000 how much are you getting ? should be 20 sq feet.

2)the new entry level GZ sounds fantastic but it will push your budget to 40K. check if the MK2 you getting is a new or used piece ?
3)Pio HU price is on the higher side.
4) What wiring kit ? what gauge wiring ?

All your prices are on the higher side. Please sit and work out the pricing.
Hi Arpandiv.

1) The quote I got is approx for the 2 front doors and the boot, wouldn't know how much sqft, will check that.
2) Still contemplating on whether GZ is really worth it, coz I like the JBL GT as well, only thing was it booms a lot more.
3) Ok, will get another quote from somewhere else to compare
4) Wiring Kit / cables are GZ's

Quote:
Thanks KP, BTW how is the JVC in comparison with the Blau GT4 in terms of the quality of sound, and how much would it cost me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Oye...Our KpGetz is a guru

Get another HU like Clarion or Eclipse

Thanks LBM, will try and audition the Eclipse sometime this week. What's your view on Boston Acoustics Comps & Sub ... better than JBL ?

Last edited by 4strings : 17th June 2009 at 09:28.
Old 17th June 2009, 09:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oohh strong views there Prajesh boss! Itna bhi waste nahi hai bhai!

I quite like the balanced (not really laid back) sound of the Illusions. Yes, the Pio does brighten up things.

Thats why I would suggest an entry level Eclipse (5030?) or Clarion 785 vis-a-vis Pio.
Old 17th June 2009, 09:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

sorry my earlier reply was note very clear.. i mean to say Option 1 with different head.
Old 17th June 2009, 10:11   #15
BHPian

Pankaj Bhai at FM Drive got a set of Eclipse CD3100 HU's which he was selling for 8k. It doesnt have USB support and needs an extra unit to plug in an ipod but the SQ blows the pioneer out of the water. It does have 3 pre-outs and at a higher voltage than the pio (5v). I replaced my pio 4050UB with one recently and the difference in SQ between the two was surprisingly large.

p.s. I run the Eclipse HU with the illusions. You are welcome to audition the combo if you would like.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks