Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2005, 22:06   #16
BHPian

Customs: We have a limit for this. If you puchase anything which is within that limit, then no issues. I guess, the limit is around 20K.

And these days the customs people are little liberal, atleast in B'lore.I did bring my handycam worth $400!!!
Old 15th June 2005, 10:16   #17
Team-BHP Support

selective,
I am very fond of Nak.
see link http://www.electronicsbonanza.com/co...ubmit=Search+&
Old 16th June 2005, 10:12   #18

Singapore is much cheaper than India for electronic goods - for AV stuff one could go and buy from Mustafa in little india but the shop stocks ONLY the fast moving popular stuff. His rates are good but not the best.

The best place to buy electronics is at the Simlim square / these large buildings which have the electronics shops along Rocher Canal Road. This is a good 10 - 15 mins walk from Mustafa. You will be able to get good stuff at good rates - provided you bargain hard.

There are a few good electronics shops in and around North Bridge road also - near the Peninsula Hotel.
Old 16th June 2005, 11:29   #19
Team-BHP Support

i am not sure about sim lim offering genuine stuff. i would visit adelphi on 1 coleman street. however i cannot confirm if they have car stereo. when i was in sing i was a home audio buff.
Old 16th June 2005, 13:50   #20
BHPian

Nobody has to worry about customs anymore.....Atleast in Chennai. I have got loads of stuff without a hitch...

At the lower end of the price range there will hardly any difference in pricing whether you buy in India or Singapore. But as you go up the difference starts increasing.....

For 15k you can buy a good starting High end Alpine HU or buy a mid end Alpine HU with a CD changer. Go through their website and choose which one you want. Alpine will cater to your taste better. Pioneer/Sony would be a bit bright.

Double DIN's are atleast to me only fancy looking. Anyday would prefer a single din hu with a 4v preout, if you want to add an amp and a sub woofer later.

"before you order check out www.crutchfield.com"

Also, Navin's, advice of crutchfield.com is a very good idea.
Old 19th June 2005, 00:36   #21
BHPian

I guess the most impt stuff is that you shud get a system which doesnt have the cd loader visible. ie.. you shudnt be able to load in the CD just like tht. This lets in a lot of dust on to the CD lens as it is open all the time.
Get a system which has a face plate and makes you open it when you need to put in a CD every time.
Try the Sony CDX -M8815. This has a motorised face plate and real cool to look at. This costs approx 20K in India but you could get it cheap in S'pore.
Old 29th June 2005, 13:56   #22
BHPian

Guys,

I am getting Nakamichi CD-400 for 18K from Singapore. Please see its specification at www.nakamichi.com and pls pls pls let me know if it is worth buying this player at this amount!
Old 29th June 2005, 18:58   #23
Team-BHP Support

only the CD 500 is MP3 capable
Old 29th June 2005, 19:21   #24
BHPian

Hey selective , if your friend is visiting singapore, he might also be visiting malaysia, just across the border. In that case get the electronics stuff from malaysia, much cheaper , much much cheaper.
Old 6th July 2005, 14:13   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma
in case u wanna go for a high end head unit like the ones from alpine/nakamichi/blaupunkt etc., i would suggest u get them from singapore..but if u are going for the basic ones like pioneer 4/5750 or the sony ones, u can buy those in india at almost a very small difference of price..
btw i would really suggest u to get the speakers from singapore, as there is a flood of duplicate speakers in india. also u may get some research and get some other brand of speakers other than pioneers...it would be worthwhile. also getting the good-quality wires would also prove much cheaper than getting them from here.

I completely agree here about the duplicate speakers. But i think if i was you, I'd buy a nice Alpine deck from Singapore. The Alpine distributor for singapore is Wo Kee Hong. Get their number from the yellow pages and they'll give you a list of alpine dealers to choose from.
I'd suggest you buy speakers from here, only insist on bill+warranty. If you tell me which city, i could help you there.
Old 7th July 2005, 10:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Visiting Cruthfield is fine..but will these guys ship to India?? has anyone got experience on this?? I am looking for something like this..We will have enough choices over these sites..but how to get them???!!
Old 7th July 2005, 11:42   #27
Team-BHP Support

i shipped speakers from crutchfield to india but i ordered them in NYC. this was in 1996.
Old 8th July 2005, 15:10   #28
BHPian

Hey guys i want to put a good mp3 system on my 800 , i'm anyways goin to bangkok and singaporeby the end of this month and was thinking of buying it from there.. Now my needs are not soo high nither do i want a heavy bass effect system. My requirement is very basic and i want nice quality inside the car and specially for slow and soft songs something like the 80's and early 90's.

As by now u must have guessed my requirement is very basic but it has to be a mp3,, could you please guide me which system shall i go for and from where bangkok or singapore and how much will it cost....
Old 8th July 2005, 15:41   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner
Hey guys i want to put a good mp3 system on my 800 , i'm anyways goin to bangkok and singaporeby the end of this month and was thinking of buying it from there.. Now my needs are not soo high nither do i want a heavy bass effect system. My requirement is very basic and i want nice quality inside the car and specially for slow and soft songs something like the 80's and early 90's.

As by now u must have guessed my requirement is very basic but it has to be a mp3,, could you please guide me which system shall i go for and from where bangkok or singapore and how much will it cost....
Hello,

You need 4 speakers and a decent MP3 head unit. Bangkok is ok but the prices vary too much between one dealer and another. There is a car audio place near Siam Centre if I remember right, who's pretty ok. Other than that you can go to Sim Lim square at singapore and you will find a couple of car audio places on the ground floor. My regular is Kenny Tan at edison electronics. Dont expect to save buckets of money, it'll just be a little cheaper.
For head units i always recommend Alpine. Very nice sound.
You can get speakers from here, it's pointless carrying them back. Decide on a pair of 6X9s for the rear and a decent pair of 4" for the front and you're done.
Cheers
Old 8th July 2005, 15:49   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit
I guess the most impt stuff is that you shud get a system which doesnt have the cd loader visible. ie.. you shudnt be able to load in the CD just like tht. This lets in a lot of dust on to the CD lens as it is open all the time.
Get a system which has a face plate and makes you open it when you need to put in a CD every time.
Try the Sony CDX -M8815. This has a motorised face plate and real cool to look at. This costs approx 20K in India but you could get it cheap in S'pore.

Sorry but i disagree. 99% of the dust gets in from the top and sides of a player. Remember, the area inside the dash isnt dust free.
In fact the slot to accomodate a cd is one of the smallest openings in the player ad that too is covered with a black dust catching fabric.
Motorized faces look cool, but over time, we all know what THEY do lol. Mommy there's a ghost in my machine!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks