Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Philips PET 723 Portable DVD player

Hi!

I'd like to know if anyone has experience using the Philips PET 723 as a standalone DVD player or as a in-car DVD player.

Details here Philips - Portable DVD Player 7" widescreen LCD display DivX playback - PET723/98 - Portable DVD players - Players and recorders - Sound and vision

thanks
Srini
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:22   #2
BHPian

Philips DVD player...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi!

I'd like to know if anyone has experience using the Philips PET 723 as a standalone DVD player or as a in-car DVD player.

Details here Philips - Portable DVD Player 7" widescreen LCD display DivX playback - PET723/98 - Portable DVD players - Players and recorders - Sound and vision

thanks
Srini
Hi Srini, I have used another portable DVD player from Philips in my car. I remember paying around 6k for it.

Philips - Portable DVD Player 7" widescreen LCD display - PET702/98 - Portable DVD players - Players and recorders - Sound and vision

Battery lasted for around 2 hours (When new) and it comes with a Car cigarette outlet adaptor which works fine in the car.

I have tested it with DVDs, VCDs and data DVDs filled with MP3s, it played them all without skipping.

Since the sound output from the built-in speakers was a little low, I had connected the audio output from the player to the aux-in of the HU and it sounded quite good.

It also comes with a mains power adaptor and can be used like a normal DVD player at home, connected to your TV.

Some points you should consider:

[1] Distraction : While it is a good 'Time-pass' option for the front / rear passengers, it can be quite a bit of a distraction for the driver. You will have to resist the urge to take a quick peek at the screen when there is some interesting scene. [Can be very dangerous when driving at high speeds.]

[2] Placement : On the couple of occasions when it was used by a rear passenger, we just opened up the player fully and put it into a bag that hangs behind the front seat in my car. [The Car cigarette outlet adaptor comes with a really long wire, which is enough to reach all corners of the car.]

Whenever it was used in the front, we would open the glove box lid and put the player on it. (Cushioned with a folded napkin.), while visibility was not a problem, there was always a danger of it falling out if we hit a serious pothole / speed bump.

Placement Option:
If you look at the bottom of this player model, you'll find a threaded hole, (the same one which you find below most cameras / handycams, which is used for mounting them on a tripod.) I was considering buying a cheap or second-hand tripod and fixing the camera mounting assembly on the passenger side of the dashboard so that the player could be fixed / removed easily whenever required.

Why am I not using it now ?
Since Sangeetha & myself like to catch up on songs/conversation while driving, we were not using the player fully when it was just the two of us driving around (95% of the time).

If the passenger is occupied in watching a movie during the journey, he/she will miss out on the sights and sounds of the trip.

So we ended up using it only occasionally; and it is currently with my Mom in Hyderabad, who catches up on a movie or two on the player... (when the main TV is blocked by my Dad during cricket season!)

Summary: I found the it is a good and practical alternative to having a LCD screen fixed in my car, since this has a screen + player, all in one unit.

It is portable, can be used at home / in car. Picture quality is quite decent. Comes with a mini remote that functions quite well. Comes with dual headphone jacks for personal use / built in speakers produce decent sound / can be connected to an audio system / amplifier for higher volumes. Power adaptors for mains / car use are given as standard accessories.
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

HotStuff,

Thanks for the detalied info.

I'm planning to fix something like this for my daughter to watch her fav DVDs, while we get to listen to the music.. so the player will be attached to the headrests of the front seats.

2 of these players and you have personalized DVD entertainment systems in the car.

the PET723 has a slide up DVD slot, so attaching it to the headrest is not a problem.

When not travelling, it is a good mantle piece to showcase pictures from the Digicam.

cheers!
Srini

Most Viewed