Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 11:46   #1
BHPian

Options to ICE an Innova...

Hiya folks...!

I've been ardently following disucssions that happen around this corner and boy am i floored or what...!
makes me remember all those colleage lectures that would just bouce off me....

Anyway, here's my quandary...

i'll probably be upgrading to Innova in a few months time and i am tempted to see how far i could go with the ICEing options

Here is my current car ICE setup that i would base the SQ against:

Santro - HU: Pioneer DEH 5850
JBL 4" front coax speakers (30W RMS output)
JBL GTO 967 6"*9" Oval coax speakers (100W RMS output) fixed on a plank in the dicky

the truth is, i'm pretty happy with this configuration and i've never had the itch to go for Amps or Sub.

After having gone thru most of the innova threads (BUSA, Mugen_Power). Here are few quick remarks /questions:

1. It's a good idea to have the 4 stock speakers replaced ??
2. It's a no brainer to settle for front component speakers (JBL, Illusion...) right ?
3. What are the pros and cons of having coax speakers in the back as opposed to have another pair of component speakers in the back ?
4. Where do the tweeters sit in case i go for back components?
5. set of 4 components (or set of 2 components + pair of coax) would have to be powered by a 4 ch Amp.
5. For this configuration, does it make sense to dampen the arrangement ?
6. i'm essentially looking at HUs with iPod / USB connectivity. does the iPod go into the glove box or can some custom fitment be provided ?

Looking forward for inputs !
Regards,
vinayak
Old 26th July 2009, 16:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. Yes
2. No, it needs brains. Well, one must audition different speakers (even if they are different model from a familiar brand), especially components, since the nature would be significantly different. And then one must use their ears and what is in between to take a studied decision which one to buy
3. Coax is what one normally puts at the back if one drives the car (as in 99% of cases). If one is driven, or has someone with a discerning ear traveling in the back seat, components are worth it
4. Door panel usually. B-pillar casing is slightly more difficult
5. Preferable, since the built-in amp of the HU has limited power and dynamic range
6. One damps the car panels, not the 'arrangement'. An innova is quite silent inside, so you could delay the damping till you have listened to the new system for sometime and feel that the silent passages are not silent enough for you
7. One would assume that you will not leave the iPod in the car, but use it or take it away when you need to. The connecting cable can be left either in the glove compartment or near the gear lever conveniently - connect or disconnect the iPod whenever you want
Old 26th July 2009, 21:59   #3
BHPian

Thanks for those points DerAlte...!

i managed to pick up a few ipod holder prototypes from a google image search. Any idea if stuff like these are available in the market...

Secondly, where are the component crossovers supposed to go and sit ? I saw a previous post where it was actually a few inches over the accelerator pedal. Is that's how it's done or can we also stuff it within the door panel itself...?

~Vinayak
Attached Thumbnails
Options to ICE an Innova...-holder.jpg  

Old 27th July 2009, 10:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

No, I don't think I have seen anything like this in accessory shops. But you can always order it over the 'net.

Since crossovers seldom need adjustment after the first tuning, the crossover boxes can be mounted anywhere convenient: near the amp, kick-panel area (where you saw one) or on the door-pad (inside or outside). If mounting inside door pad, make sure water does not spoil the XO (rainwater or car wash drip).
Old 27th July 2009, 12:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayak007 View Post
i managed to pick up a few ipod holder prototypes from a google image search. Any idea if stuff like these are available in the market...

Secondly, where are the component crossovers supposed to go and sit ? I saw a previous post where it was actually a few inches over the accelerator pedal. Is that's how it's done or can we also stuff it within the door panel itself...?
1. The object of having an ipod is that each person can have their own individual collection of music and can carry it anywhere. Take our case. My mom, wife and I each have our own ipods and each us have a car we usually drive. However if my wife, mom or me want to switch cars all we need to do is switch our ipods. Our ipods also allow us to carry the same collection to our bedrooms (via ipod docks and ipod dock speakers like Altec Lansing's IM7, Harman Kardon Go+Play and Logitech Pure-Fi Eliten each costs about Rs. 16-20K) or on a holiday (via Logitech Anywhere or JBL's On stage Micro/IIIP prices range from 6-10K). The object in your photo will limit the ipod to use in the car as you cannot use the ipod on a dock speaker or in a carrying case (for use when going on walk).

2. The best place I find to put the component crossovers are in the dashboard. This protects them from the elements and from being kicked or hit by a car cleaner, driver or other careless person.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks