Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:40   #1
BHPian

ICE Upgrade

hi all!

I drive a Baleno. Two and a half years ago, I started building my ICE setup.
I had a basic Sony HU and Pioneer rear speakers. Went to Manik with 20K budget to buy good speakers, amp and a sub. He advised me to spend more money on quality components and build the setup slowly. Took his advice.

Upgraded to:
1) Hertz ESK165 compos for front
2) Alpine MRVF-340 amp.

Collected more money, bought an ID base series sub (enclosed in non-ported box).

Collected more money, upgraded my last piece of crap (SONY HU) to Blaupunkt Hamburg (Reason for Hamburg: Bluetooth connectivity)

Then I got so addicted to good quality music that I virtually shifted my office to the car and hated to listen to any music at home.

So worked a bit more harder and saved a bit more money and bought a home stereo setup:

1) Marantz PM7001 amp
2) Wharfdale Diamond 10.2 standmounters.

Took a few days to get accustomed to music without thump (sub), but otherwise amazing sound at all frequenices.

Now there is one slight problem. My new home setup is so good that now I have become unsatisfied with my ICE setup. I have realised that a lot of instruments sound missing in my car. Also, the thump is not satisfactory.

So, as a result of the vicious cycle of neverending desires, I have again started to collect money so as to upgrade my ICE.

Budget not decided yet, but would like to upgrade step-by-step.

I think I can start with speaker uprades, as I am not satisfied with current speaker depthness.

Then I may proceed to sub, and if there is a need - to amp.

Cables are Connection Audison & Kicker. I dont think I would need to upgrade them.

People, shoot!!!! Start recommending!!!

Efforts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2nd August 2009, 09:16   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

You mentioned that your ID sub is in a NON-PORTED box. Then that means, it should be sealed. Do check it out. ID does wonders in a well built box. Rather any SUB at that, if put in a good box, will be better than a shabbily built box.
What's the model number of your sub?
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:52   #3
BHPian

yup. its a sealed box. its just that i was not able to recall the word...so wrote "non-ported".
i think it is a V3. MRP around 12K two years back.
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

You cannot compare the Home Audio with Car Audio. It will be hard to achieve the same quality of sound in car.

Just audition NCR members cars and decide. Whats your budget BTW ?
Old 2nd August 2009, 13:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

To start with, tune your system again. Reduce the power to the sub to a level that you just feel it, not hear it. Play with the LP frequency to the sub, and the lower HP frequency to the same as the LP, and see if that makes the thump more tolerable. Experiment with reducing the sub box volume (what is it currently?).

If you still feel dissatisfied, it is time to move on from the ESKs. The sub is OK - the integration with the mid-bass is not. Where are your tweeters mounted? A couple of pics of your installation will help.

Nothing wrong with your amp, unless you find a logical reason to replace it. It will take a lot of experimentation with the amp as constant to prove that the amp is not up to it. When you are able to reach that limit, replace it with a JBL / Audision / Steg / Genesis. Don't go by numbers. Ignore poetry and flowery language of reviews - audition and see if you like the sound signature, and you will make a wise choice.

Definitely nothing wrong with your wiring and RCA cables.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks