Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2009, 02:20   #16
BHPian

Well guys , i gonna shock you with one Major upgrade . Well its may not be that major but its a major change that i have bought in which is taking loads of time .

For few updates

Kicker 0/1 Gauge wiring is ordered . Firstly we were using L/T cables but now after seeing the difference in the cables , I made up my mind to go with Kicker wiring so all the wiring is being taken out and new wiring is being done .
Thats the latest news guys .

Sorry for being so slow , its 1st time i am doing it myself so ... please
Old 14th August 2009, 11:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit_chd View Post
Kicker 0/1 Gauge wiring is ordered . Firstly we were using L/T cables but now after seeing the difference in the cables , I made up my mind to go with Kicker wiring so all the wiring is being taken out and new wiring is being done .
Firstly congrats on the new power wires, but sorry to question you like this. What difference did you felt ? Except the price and aesthetics. Did you did any test on the same. Just asking nothing serious.

And which amp are you going to put. For me a 0/1 gauge means about 350 amperes or 2000 watts rms amp. If smaller amps are being used then it is sheer waste of money to upgrade for this thick power cable.

Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 14th August 2009 at 11:21.
Old 14th August 2009, 22:07   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Firstly congrats on the new power wires, but sorry to question you like this. What difference did you felt ? Except the price and aesthetics. Did you did any test on the same. Just asking nothing serious.

And which amp are you going to put. For me a 0/1 gauge means about 350 amperes or 2000 watts rms amp. If smaller amps are being used then it is sheer waste of money to upgrade for this thick power cable.

Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes
Why wait when you have the money sir and the guy's installing them also? Why go through the pain of rewiring if at all in the future he decides to upgrade? I mean something high quality IS high quality. Sure maybe the difference'll be very negligible. Might be to near zero also.

What if the L/T wiring (not specifically made for this purpose) damages the equipment?

P.S. No offense meant to anyone. Just my take.

Last edited by bharti22shresth : 14th August 2009 at 22:08.
Old 14th August 2009, 23:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharti22shresth View Post
Might be to near zero also.

What if the L/T wiring (not specifically made for this purpose) damages the equipment?
The difference will not be zero...the L&T will be better...why here is a link...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/696016-post15.html

Simple because it has better and more copper than the branded car audio cable. So expensive does not mean it is always better. There are brands like BOSE who depends on marketing than actual product. So here is my take on car audio power cable. It may differ with all the other members on this forum. No offense to anyone.
Old 15th August 2009, 12:06   #20
BHPian

Well here are some pics of the tweeters that are going in
Attached Thumbnails
My Palio's ICE Journey-1.jpg  

My Palio's ICE Journey-2.jpg  

My Palio's ICE Journey-4.jpg  

My Palio's ICE Journey-3.jpg  

Last edited by ankit_chd : 15th August 2009 at 12:09.
Old 15th August 2009, 12:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... What if the L/T wiring (not specifically made for this purpose) damages the equipment? ...
Just what would be the characteristics that make cables "automotive", "non-automotive", "ICE" or "not meant for ICE"?

And (even more serious) how would a cable damage the equipment - electrically or mechanically?

At least one can say the difference between a Peter England shirt and a Calvin Klein shirt would definitely be the cut and the material, but would only an "imported ICE brand" be the ONLY significant difference between Kicker and L&T cables? One would think that L&T knows it's electrical engineering much better than the marketing guys of Kicker who have convinced you with their brand appeal!
Old 15th August 2009, 12:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Just what would be the characteristics that make cables "automotive", "non-automotive", "ICE" or "not meant for ICE"?

And (even more serious) how would a cable damage the equipment - electrically or mechanically?

At least one can say the difference between a Peter England shirt and a Calvin Klein shirt would definitely be the cut and the material, but would only an "imported ICE brand" be the ONLY significant difference between Kicker and L&T cables? One would think that L&T knows it's electrical engineering much better than the marketing guys of Kicker who have convinced you with their brand appeal!
Well Sir i was using L/T without asking anyone but when i saw the flexibility of the Kicker wires , i was shocked . They were so so Flexible it forced me to order one . As far knowledge goes , i am zero
Old 15th August 2009, 15:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I could not express it better. Thanks DerAlte Ji

Quote:
They were so so Flexible it forced me to order one . As far knowledge goes , i am zero
If you have gone only for flexibility then I think you have wasted your money. Tell me how many times would you be moving your power cable once the install is finished. Then money extra spend would have help you in better speakers/sub/amps/HU. Or even Audio CD`s.

Rest if you have spent the money, So be it Enjoy ICEing your car and do share us with your comments.
Old 16th August 2009, 20:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Ankit, like LBM said, if that purchase has given you mental satisfaction, there is nothing like it. Smile, don't fret, and enjoy your music!
Old 17th August 2009, 00:23   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
The difference will not be zero...the L&T will be better...why here is a link...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/696016-post15.html

Simple because it has better and more copper than the branded car audio cable. So expensive does not mean it is always better. There are brands like BOSE who depends on marketing than actual product. So here is my take on car audio power cable. It may differ with all the other members on this forum. No offense to anyone.
A very interesting read I must say. But I'd still have my doubts on something that's not been designed keeping something that it is being applied. Specially when electricals are concerned.

Quote:
Well here are some pics of the tweeters that are going in
Very nice teaser pics. Keep them coming.

Quote:

The same characteristic that makes you want to eat the medicine that the doctor prescribed for your rather simple stomach ache, rather than just popping a combiflam even though you know that there's just just negligible difference, one that doesn't even matter. Believe me, like ICE, medicine companies also charge for marketing only (only there marketing is not for general public). I mean the makers of combiflam (sanofi aventis) know how to make pain killers, don't they.

I said "maybe" regarding the equipment damage. Personnel experince of OVER HEATING in L/T. And this was in my house which has pretty well built walls. Imagine such a thing happening in your car. Such a thought forces one to spend money on over priced stuff.

Just my views, no offense meant.

cheers
bharti22shresth
Old 17th August 2009, 03:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
The same characteristic that makes you want to eat the medicine that the doctor prescribed for your rather simple stomach ache, rather than just popping a combiflam even though you know that there's just just negligible difference, one that doesn't even matter. Believe me, like ICE, medicine companies also charge for marketing only (only there marketing is not for general public). I mean the makers of combiflam (sanofi aventis) know how to make pain killers, don't they.
Well put bharti22shresth.

I would like to take the pharmaceutical analogy to the next level.

There is a very simple antibiotic available in the market which is one of the best for diseases such as bacterial pneumonia, and many other illnesses.

Augmentin. Augmentin is a drug for which the rights are owned by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK). It is a simple mix of Amoxacillin and Clavulanic acid.

The same drug has been copied world over. In India, the GSK Augmentin costs around Rs. 650 a strip. The same drug produced by smaller indiginous pharma cos costs around Rs 150 a strip.

Is there any difference? Well when you pay the premium for the GSK version, you're paying for that extra quality control. The amount of drug advertised is the amount you're recieving. The other cheaper variants however have much poorer QC, and you're not really getting the amount advertised.

Now let's use this knowledge to dissect the world of power wires.
The L&T or Havells or Anchor wires will carry current just as well as the Kicker or whatever other car audio specific wire is concerned. The guage can be just as accurate too.

However it is the coating, and the general engineering of these car audio specific wires where the two end up being different. While the former brands are great for your home/construction needs, when you consider a much harsher and more demanding environment, the product engineered for such use is definitely going to bring more to the table than one that isn't.

To carry analogies even further, why then do people buy hiking or climbing boots? why not go rock climbing with Bata chappals?
Why do people serious about football use studs and not cross-trainers?
Why stick car speakers into your doors and not simply attach the speakers from your home hi-fi system?

Sorry if I come off strong here, but I just don't think it's right to spend so much hard earned money on audio products engineered for use in an automobile, and then use some integral products that never were stating that they're just as good.

I do use the Kicker amp kit, and can completely vouch for their quality. And yes I have seen all the local wiring as well, still would go with the Kicker everytime.
Old 17th August 2009, 09:15   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Well put bharti22shresth.

I would like to take the pharmaceutical analogy to the next level.

There is a very simple antibiotic available in the market which is one of the best for diseases such as bacterial pneumonia, and many other illnesses.

Augmentin. Augmentin is a drug for which the rights are owned by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK). It is a simple mix of Amoxacillin and Clavulanic acid.

The same drug has been copied world over. In India, the GSK Augmentin costs around Rs. 650 a strip. The same drug produced by smaller indiginous pharma cos costs around Rs 150 a strip.

Is there any difference? Well when you pay the premium for the GSK version, you're paying for that extra quality control. The amount of drug advertised is the amount you're recieving. The other cheaper variants however have much poorer QC, and you're not really getting the amount advertised.

I do use the Kicker amp kit, and can completely vouch for their quality. And yes I have seen all the local wiring as well, still would go with the Kicker everytime.
You just put words to my mouth sir.

P.S. Let's get back to discussing Ankit's ICE, should we. We are WAY OFF TOPIC. The dispute of L/T etc. v/s kicker, audison etc. is never ending. We can discuss that in some other thread also.

So, Ankit, any more pictures of your setup? And stop with the teaser pics. Start uploading the full pics. :P
Old 17th August 2009, 10:31   #28
BHPian

Well i respect everyone views and reviews but i did what i found was best .

so i went ahead with kicker wiring .

Still Thanks 2 LBM paaji for his knowledge n help .

As far full pics goes , it will start flooding once i receive my kicker wiring brother .
Old 17th August 2009, 13:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
... Now let's use this knowledge to dissect the world of power wires. ... However it is the coating, and the general engineering of these car audio specific wires where the two end up being different. While the former brands are great for your home/construction needs, when you consider a much harsher and more demanding environment, the product engineered for such use is definitely going to bring more to the table than one that isn't.
You are a great believer in 'coatings', aren't you? Even when there aren't any, or the fact that they don't have anything to do in this case. Carry on, Doctor!

Quote:
You just put words to my mouth sir. ...
Honest admission, I must say.
Old 17th August 2009, 14:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

The hifonics Mono looks like the Brutus 1208 monoblock amp.
What sub(s) are you pairing this with ?
Amp produces some super tight bass, this is not made for SPL, That amp is probably the neatest sounding mono in that price I have seen till date.

try keeping the enclosure voume as low as possible, and it sounds loud and clear.

Snap of my setup below.
Attached Thumbnails
My Palio's ICE Journey-0707_093335.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed