Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 13:38   #1
BHPian

ICE for my next car... a VW Polo (1.0L budget)

I know I'm getting excited a bit too early, but I'll be replacing my rattling Swift with a Polo as soon as VW get around to launching it.

I'm budgeting 1.0L for ICE in the Polo. I imagine that it would come with an integrated head unit, which I will probably retain. So therefore, I would need the following:

front components
2-ch amp for front components
Sub in the boot
mono-amp for sub
damping and wiring

I figured it would be safe to allocate roughly 20K to each of those 5 items.

Now what do I want... Clear accurate sound, crisp and fast bass that's perfectly integrated into the higher frequencies, and a system that can play moderately loud with no distortion at all.

I listen to a wide variety of music, from rock to rap to house to jazz, and everything in between. Most of my music is on audio cds, but sometimes I plug my iPhone/iPod into the HU to access my mp3 collection.

I thought I'd start a discussion now so I can finalize some of the equipment and think about sourcing some items (especially from kind relatives flying in from the U.S.).

Some further clarifications.
-I never sit in the backseat, and I dont give two hoots about those that do, so no rear fills. I'd rather allocate that money to better front components.
-If the stock HU is a dud (bad sound quality), I'll change it at a later point. Budget would be an additional 25k-35k. I'd like something with iPhone/iPod connectivity and bluetooth for phone calls (cant live without these two features anymore).
Old 8th August 2009, 14:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

? How much will the car OTR?
Old 8th August 2009, 15:31   #3
BHPian

well if it is coming with an integrated HU just hope it hac RCA pre outs.
Old 8th August 2009, 15:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

He can take high level inputs from the amp.
Old 8th August 2009, 15:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Here's what I would suggest:
1. Head unit:
Stock HU are not great at all. They just come with 1 preout and at times none. I would suggest a change here.
Get Clarion DXZ785USB with bluetooth adaptor cost for both could come upto 260$. OR Eclipse CD7200MkII Comes with all the features inbuilt.

2. Front Comps:
Not sure whether there is provision given for 2 way or 3 way.
Incase for 2 way setup look for Illusion Carbon 6 / Morel Hybrid Ovation / Rainbow SAC265.25K.

If there is a provision given for 3 way the best I could suggest is to get Morel Integra Ovation 4" XO. These are point source speakers that can run active with 80W RMS each to Mids and tweeter. Get a Peerless SLS6 to do the duty for midbass, has the most dynamic bass from a 6.5" speaker. Cross the HPF on Morel with 160hz/200hz and SLS6 can run from 50hz to 200hz. This would be a complete Active setup but will add extra cost since will need additional Amp for the midbass. The Morel and Peerless should cost approx 550$.

3. Subwoofer: Stick to a single 12" from IDQv3 / Ground zero / Fi Q / dayton HO 12". These should all be under 23K.

4. Amplifier:
Incase 2 way front comps: Clarion DPX 2251 it's a G class amp. Plenty of power, 180x2 RMS, will give good head room. cost about 175$ on crutchfield.
Incase going 3 way add Clarion APX4361 4 channel amp. 90x4RMS
For Sub: Depends on what you wanna run it on whether 4 ohms or 2 ohms. For 4 ohm or 2 ohm sub look out for sub and amp that would give good 400RMS. There is Alpine Mono, Infinity, HK, Clarion. I would suggest Clarion DPX1851 it can do 450x1 at 4 ohms and 850 at 2 ohms incase you plan to add another sub. The Clarion amps are the best VFM as of now.

Here's one of the review on them Performance Auto and Sound - The Girls - The Cars - The Life - Clarion DPX2251

5. Keep a budget of 15-20k for amp wiring, RCA, damping, sub enclousre, dash kit.

Last edited by Invinsible : 8th August 2009 at 15:45.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:45   #6
BHPian

I'm somewhat tempted to go for an all ID setup. This would be the XS 65 compos powered by either a Q 450.4 (bridged) or a Q700.2, and a 12" IDQV3 powered by a Q600.1. This would only be within budget if I bought it all abroad.
Old 10th August 2009, 16:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
I'm somewhat tempted to go for an all ID setup. This would be the XS 65 compos powered by either a Q 450.4 (bridged) or a Q700.2, and a 12" IDQV3 powered by a Q600.1. This would only be within budget if I bought it all abroad.
ID's are good and so are their subs they are well known for, but if you looking for pure SQ and great tonal quality in comps there are many more you can look for at that price. Same goes for amps, am sure there are many more better choices in that price range.

Last edited by Invinsible : 10th August 2009 at 16:26.
Old 10th August 2009, 20:56   #8
BHPian

I think i'll stick to a passive setup with 2-way components at the front. I dont think my budget has room for 3-way components and matching amps that would do justice.

So, please give your suggestions for mid-priced (around 20K to 25K) 2-way components.

Also need suggestions for a 2ch amp and a mono amp, for around 20K~25K each. I'd like both amps to be the same make.

I think I'm virtually set on getting the IDQ12V3. I just hope that one of these will be enough for listening to bass-heavy tracks. (I dont want to blow the roof off, but I do want to fell the bass in my bones)
Old 10th August 2009, 21:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can't go wrong with the above, Only one small change (if i were you) buy a 4 channel instead of 2 channel in case you want to go active in future. As for the equipment i had personally auditioned the ID amps in Sam_786 car and the sound brilliant. For the XS compo pm Hydra he is using them in his swift.
Old 11th August 2009, 11:46   #10
BHPian

Thanks for your input karan,

I'm slightly unsure of the ID amps as there aren't that many reviews of those on the internet. And since these are the company's first attempt at making amps, it might be better to go with a tried and tested brand (e.g. JL Audio, Audison, Eclipse).

I also had a couple of questions regarding matching amps to speakers:
1. - If I wanted to be cheap about things, could the Q450.4 run both the XS65 and a single IDQ12V3 at the same time without anything sounding strained?
2. - If I later decided I needed more bass, would it be possible to run 2 IDQ12V3's off a single Q600.1 amp?
Old 11th August 2009, 12:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your input karan,

I'm slightly unsure of the ID amps as there aren't that many reviews of those on the internet. And since these are the company's first attempt at making amps, it might be better to go with a tried and tested brand (e.g. JL Audio, Audison, Eclipse).

I also had a couple of questions regarding matching amps to speakers:
1. - If I wanted to be cheap about things, could the Q450.4 run both the XS65 and a single IDQ12V3 at the same time without anything sounding strained?
2. - If I later decided I needed more bass, would it be possible to run 2 IDQ12V3's off a single Q600.1 amp?
Don't worry how good are ID amps need more info check the id forums. There are many amps installed in India get it touch with Gunbir he can tell you more about them.

Yes you can go with a 4 channel amp hook the fronts to 2 channel and the sub to the other 2 channel (bridged) and will work pretty good, Id 4 channel gives 75 X 2 @ 4 ohms and 200 X 1 @ 4ohms. XS are rated as 15 to 125 rms so giving them 75wrms and 200 wrms to the sub would be sufficient. Later you can add a mono amp (600.1) and another idq. Yes 600.1 will handle 2 idq very easily
Old 11th August 2009, 16:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

KK and Mag i don't think iD amps cost around 25K. Maybe Genesis Profile costs that much but not sure.
Old 11th August 2009, 17:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I
I thought I'd start a discussion now so I can finalize some of the equipment and think about sourcing some items (especially from kind relatives flying in from the U.S.).
^^^^This is why it is recommended to read the thread first

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
KK and Mag i don't think iD amps cost around 25K. Maybe Genesis Profile costs that much but not sure.
Old 11th August 2009, 17:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
^^^^This is why it is recommended to read the thread first
my bad

Yes you can have iD amp for around 25k (from US)
Old 11th August 2009, 19:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

You can also check out the DLS Ultimate series amp at sonicelectronix.com they have 3 channel amp which can do the fronts and can play sub under 2ohms as well and are underrated too. I guess it cost about 550$ or so, should be better choice than the ID amp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks