Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2009, 16:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

wow, cool guys intresting DIY to look at with that beast, awaiting to see the final results.
Old 17th August 2009, 16:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Oy Shreyas, stop being a tease!

Hmmm, looks like an LX which strangely has a color similar to my Safari. Where are you doing the work? May I drop in some time to help?

Metal cutting? What metal cutting?
I am sorry, I forgot to reply to this message. This install is already done.
The next time I am doing anything, I will call you for sure. Hpefully its my zen doorpad rebuild

But please feel free to bug Sumith for an audition of this
Old 17th August 2009, 17:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Do post pix of seats too :P
Looks good.
JK, I will post the interior pics along with the final pics of the installation. Oops, I need to have a photoshoot soon.
Old 17th August 2009, 20:26   #19
BHPian

Continuing with the story...

It was 15th August and we found most of the shops closed. But we managed to purchase the needed cables. When we returned, Shreyas had completed fitting amplifier on the plank and marking crossover positions.

I and Sumith then joined Shreyas in putting the crossovers.
Safari ICE..DIY??-dscn5873.jpg

Safari ICE..DIY??-dscn5874.jpg

You can see that the midbass and tweeter wires were already drawn. Sumith and Shreyas then moved to putting the door pads back in place.

Safari ICE..DIY??-dscn5878.jpg

Shreyas then moved to fitting the HU, Sumith moved to the engine bay to fix the water tank that we had removed in the morning for passing the power cable. And I moved to wiring the Amplifier.
Safari ICE..DIY??-dscn5880.jpg

While I continued to struggle with the amplifier wiring, Shreyas moved to fitting the subwoofer and Sumith helped me in running the grounding cable.
Safari ICE..DIY??-dscn5883.jpg

All done, some additional thinking going on...
Safari ICE..DIY??-dscn5884.jpg

And this is when I stopped taking pictures.
Name:  DSCN5888.JPG
Views: 2826
Size:  111.9 KB

Safari ICE..DIY??-dscn5892.jpg

We started tuning the set up. The subwoofer will make it's present felt only if you touch the cone. No sound only a palpable cone vibration. Looks like we did some mistake in series/parallel connection. It was quickly rectified and subwoofer started firing like a dream.

The time was 10:30PM. I remember Shreyas wouldn't have spent more than 5 minutes in having the pizza during lunch. It has been 12 hours of constant hard work. And we are all tired but extremely happy.

Kudos to you Shreyas and Sumith. Shreyas seemed to have ideas for every hurdle that we would hit and Sumith too has passion.

Last edited by akbaree : 17th August 2009 at 20:31.
Old 17th August 2009, 21:38   #20
BHPian

I would say it was a very professional install and the result was amazing, need to see it in real to believe what I mean. I am very lucky to have such dedicated and knowledgeable friends like you guys.

I don't have any pics of the install, but I do have some photos of the stuffs used. Will try to cover most of them.

1. HU : Clarion 785USB (still in mumbai due to the issues with couriering, will be collecting personally on 3rd Sept), Pioneer 3050UB for time being.

2. Front Components : Diamond Audio M661, picked it from a friend's shop in Kerala. Pretty old model but definitely VFM and amazing sound reproduction. Have a look at the built quality in the pics below.

The pack :

The Crossover, It also has a RAF out for real fill:

Midbass:

Midbass rear:

One more close shot:

The Tweeter:

The driver with grill:

More to follow...
Old 17th August 2009, 23:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sumith, didn't your pics upload? Or is my system playing the fool with me?
Old 17th August 2009, 23:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Hi Sumith, didn't your pics upload? Or is my system playing the fool with me?
I think the browser cache has fooled me. Uploading the pics again.

The pack :

Safari ICE..DIY??-cover.jpg

The Crossover, It also has a RAF out for real fill:

Safari ICE..DIY??-crossover.jpg

Midbass:

Name:  MidBass.jpg
Views: 2643
Size:  66.3 KB

Midbass rear:

Safari ICE..DIY??-midbass-back.jpg

One more close shot:

Safari ICE..DIY??-midbass-back2.jpg

The Tweeter:

Safari ICE..DIY??-tweeter.jpg

The driver with grill:

Safari ICE..DIY??-grill.jpg

Hope its clear now
Old 18th August 2009, 01:18   #23
BHPian

Shreyas, nice work and best part is, you always help friends when they need it,
keep up the good work and zeal.

Excellent D.I.Y.
Old 18th August 2009, 09:52   #24
BHPian

Thank you guys. Sorry for dragging the install till late. I wanted things to be perfect than leaving behind the DIY traces.

Here's the last set of pics from my side

The best part of the install
Safari ICE..DIY??-tweeters.jpg

The HU
Safari ICE..DIY??-hu.jpg

Sumith and Ananth hurting their hands to screw in 3 3inch screws through 3 MDF layers. (We called it the He-man She-man strength)
Safari ICE..DIY??-sumith-ananth.jpg

The pain was not enough! Ananth pushing the silicone sealant using a hammer to seal his sub box
Safari ICE..DIY??-ananth.jpg

Stay tuned for the after install pics. I think Sumith is waiting to clean the car before clicking.
Old 18th August 2009, 11:01   #25
naughty001

Great job, just one question though. Are silicone applicator guns expensive in your area, cos its far easier to use one of those instead of a hammer, and here in South Africa those cost only as much as one of those silicone tubes and it would have made your life very easy

ie something that looks like this

Safari ICE..DIY??-silicone20sealant20and20gun.jpg

but im only nit picking but hopefully maybe giving you an idea for your next install that will save your hands from the abuse caused by trying to use the hammer handle

But either way great job, too bad im too far away to come and listen to some of the systems im seeing here on team BHP, i need to make a plan to visit India sometime

Old 18th August 2009, 11:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
Great job, just one question though. Are silicone applicator guns expensive in your area, cos its far easier to use one of those instead of a hammer, and here in South Africa those cost only as much as one of those silicone tubes and it would have made your life very easy
It is not expensive, but I was unaware of the gun while buying the tube. It was fun even though a dirty and tough job, Am I correct anant? Anant was trying hard to get it removed from his hands .
Old 18th August 2009, 11:37   #27
BHPian

@Naughty001, Its not that its expensive, we didnt invest as we thought the sealant is just one-time used in the box. Only when used we came to know the pressure it requires to come out of the tube.

I have made a small list of items that will be procured as and when time permits and the gun is one of them.
Old 18th August 2009, 12:19   #28
BHPian

I used that Silicon Gel few days back, pushing it with a screwdrivers Back, and the Back stopped on that tube came out making it a real mess, and it smelled very pungent, eeek

haven't touched the tube since i replaced the back cap, don't know if its dry or still usable !!
Old 18th August 2009, 12:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful DIY kudos to three of you , waiting to see the interior pics.

Shreyas any reason why you left out Fiber glass and foam damping unlike your previous DIY on Safari.

About Silicon glue the gun is quite cheap and can be operated with one hand.
I have an aquarium at home and once used it while replacing the bottom glass which got cracked.

One word of caution with Silicon glue if anyone wants to use it. Always use it in open space and take break after 10 - 15 minutes of work to breath fresh air else you will get severe headache and dizyness. Let the sealant dry fully before you close the door pads.
Old 18th August 2009, 12:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

The work area looks neat, no cig or water bottles

And wasnt damping done? And how much did the sub cost? And its fed from the 1004?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks