Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 11:54   #1
BHPian

Tighten the mirror?

Guys I have a 9 month old getz and recently it has started giving me a peculiar problem.As soon as I increase the volume knob and the bass goes up the rear view mirror starts vibrating making a very irritating rattling noise.If i hold the RVM firmly with my hand, its gone.Now my question to you guys is what can be done to permanently get rid of this problem?Anybody else ever faced a similar problem?Please help.

Last edited by DjNik : 19th August 2009 at 11:55.
Old 19th August 2009, 12:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

have the same problem. just recently realised its the mirror. seriously irritating.
Old 19th August 2009, 13:10   #3
gpa
Senior - BHPian

First try tightening the mounting nuts/bolts of the mirror. You'll be surprised how loose they get over a period of time. If that still doesn't work, why not try using some blue tack to make the mirror panels fit tight and true?

You could try using some foam to pack into the outside cowl (round curved plactic face) of the mirror. The foam will not impede the movement of the mirror adjusters, but should help damping the vibrations.

Last edited by gpa : 19th August 2009 at 13:12.
Old 19th August 2009, 14:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

The inside RVM is easier - unmount the RVM and put a cork sheet at the base when mounting back. A thin sheet of thermocol will also do, unfortunately that is quite brittle to work with

For the ORVM, stuff some closed cell foam behind the mirror - just enough to damp the vibration, but not enough to prevent mirror adjustment.
Old 19th August 2009, 14:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is funny, I was trying to calibrate my ICE with the inside RVM vibrations.During my esteem days the RVM used to vibrate when i pump up the volume. in my lancer it does not happen, i had one pio sub then now i have 2 jbl subs. i thought my amp/ sub are not that powerful. anyways kind of funny i thought that way.

Pramod
Old 19th August 2009, 14:46   #6
BHPian

My was of addressing this is by a layer or rubber sheet (old tube). Remove the mirror, keep a layer of rubber and fix it back. And also tighten the screw next to the adjuster ball on the back of the mirror.
Old 19th August 2009, 15:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sure, rubber inner tube also works, but cork is better at damping.
Old 19th August 2009, 15:56   #8
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys.Ill try and see what works out the best for me.Thanks.
Old 19th August 2009, 16:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys.Ill try and see what works out the best for me.Thanks.
OT. Read some place here that the Verna mirrors fold on impact a full 180, does the same apply for the Getz. If that is the case, these must be the drawbacks. I am just guessing.
Old 19th August 2009, 16:20   #10
BHPian

Never tried folding them to 180 degrees.Anyway i dont have any problems with the ORVM, its just the inside one that is the irritant.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:59   #11
BHPian

Hmm similar issues. My accord's RVM (the one mounted inside) is utterly useless now, and I shudder to think that I made it a month without using it. The problem I face is that it's mounted on the windshield. These things aren't meant to come off right?

I was thinking about making a metal strut to hold it in place. I mean I don't mind some vibration, but this is ridiculous, now all I can see is my thighs and the gear lever!
Old 11th June 2013, 07:44   #12
Team-BHP Support

How to tighten the IVRM?

The IVRM on my Honda City has come loose; every time the car jerks through a pothole or speedbreaker, it shifts its position drastically.

How do I tighten it?
Old 11th June 2013, 09:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to tighten the IVRM?

If I am not wrong the IRVM is fixed to the ceiling right? If it is screwed to the ceiling with a plate you can check whether screws have worn out or the plate itself has any wear. Incase the IRVM is glued to the windshield also there will be a similar problem. Check for screws which will hold the mirror.
Old 11th June 2013, 09:50   #14
BHPian

Its bit strange that it deflects with the impact in pothole,

It normally has a rubber bush/cushion behind the bar, is it still in tact in your case? it shouldn't matter though. Is it the whole assembly that deflects or just the mirror. In case its mirror

One thing you can try is pasting some tape on to the roller and try fixing the IVRM
Old 11th June 2013, 10:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Usually you will have a tiny screw behind the IRVM which tightens the gap where the mirror is fixed to the main holder. I am not sure if this is the case with the Honda City too.

Tighten the mirror?-20130611_103240.jpg

(above pic is of my WagonR's IRVM)

If you don't have this, you may have to get a new Mirror assembly itself as inserting anything between the gaps to secure the mirror may not sound like a good idea.

Tighten the mirror?-06_mx5_mirrorcover.jpg

(Pic Courtesy: Respective site)

However, you may try applying Fevicol SR through the gap which would form a sticky later over the ball and make things better. Moreover, a small amount of SR wont cause any permanent damage to the mechanism as it doesn't form a hard layer like superglue or feviquick etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks