Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 17:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
All of us have differnt taste but the usual suspects under 10K/pr are JBL, Blaupunkt, Bull, Illusion, Ground Zero, Infinity, Boston, Polk, DLS, Rainbow and Alpine - you can arrange the in any order you like and will still be able to rationalise your decision.
Hey Navin, no HERTZ in that list? Or they are not as good as they are shown to be?
BTW, any list for good VFM amps (10-15k) range? 4 channel.
Old 26th June 2010, 11:58   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hey Navin, no HERTZ in that list? Or they are not as good as they are shown to be?
BTW, any list for good VFM amps (10-15k) range? 4 channel.
I'm sorry. It is just not possible for me to remember every brand out there is it?

I have heard Hertz Hi Energys and found them very bright but that does not mean they are not good speakers. The owner of those Hertz speakers was perfectly happy with the sound in his car.

There might be many other brands I have not listed so please forgve me if you favourite brand was not on that post. I have said it many times, just becuase I am Mod does not mean I have the most knowledge about audio. There are many products I have not heard of leave alone heard besides I am not invovled with this industry and am not exposed to the information those who are part of the industry are exposed to. I am a Mod NOT a Guru.

As far as VFM amps - Pioneer, Kenwood, JBL, etc. all make decent amps under 10K.
Old 27th June 2010, 02:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi Navin,
You got me wrong. That was not at all a rhetoric question and I'm sorry if that sounded like one. I'm nor a fan of Hertz speakers and neither I'm using them. Just wanted to know if they are not good enough as they were made out to be in the forum some moons back. And as they are bright then they are anyway out of my shopping list. I'm looking for speakers which are more of laid back nature. I want speakers which are less fatiguing to me and my ears. Same goes for choosing an amplifier too. Would be great help if you can point me to something. I'm also doing my own research on it.
Regards,
Old 27th June 2010, 11:14   #34
BHPian

Guys, my suggestion will be Rainbow SLG Titan 6.5", Boston s60.

I have tried DLS b6a and Hifonics Zeus and for my taste it was bit bright.
Old 27th June 2010, 12:22   #35
BHPian

please suggest me the best possible deal which i could get for 6.5" components!! and if possible, please tall me how to source it. i would appreciate if i could get them from delhi itself!
Old 27th June 2010, 16:03   #36
BHPian

Is focal 165A1 available in Bangalore?
Check out the price for the item below
Focal 165 A1

These days there are lot more brands that should go into that list. But keeping it mainstream I guess Focal and Hertz would be there for sure. The access A1 is the entry level component of Focal so I guess the list was setup for entry level 6.5 inch components.
Old 27th June 2010, 17:47   #37
BHPian

Focal comps are available in Bangalore. Sure you can get in touch with our fellow Bhpian "Blueraven" I have seen focals with him.
Old 28th June 2010, 11:20   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just wanted to know if they are not good enough as they were made out to be in the forum some moons back.
There are some who like thier sound and some who do not. In india speakers with a forward/bright sound are favoured partly because of the quality of the music mix that was around in the 70s, 80s and maybe even the early 90s (I was not around in India during the 80s and early 90s) but personally I find most speakers too forward for my taste.

We all have different needs and some like me listen to music for long periods (3-4 hours at a strech). A speaker that is bright can become irritating over long periods. Some moons back my wife had some Infintiy speakers (6010 or 6020 I think they were) installed in her Opel Sail. I found them a bit bright. knocking of about 0.5db in the 2-4kHz octave resolved this issue (if you search you will find a series of posts that detailed how to do this to this speaker).

If you have specific taste it is best that you listen to any speaker before you buy it. Modifying a speaker requires some knowledge of speaker crossover design, radiation patterns, and acces to the software and hardware to make the measurements.
Old 28th June 2010, 23:21   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are some who like thier sound and some who do not. In india speakers with a forward/bright sound are favoured partly because of the quality of the music mix that was around in the 70s, 80s and maybe even the early 90s (I was not around in India during the 80s and early 90s) but personally I find most speakers too forward for my taste.
That's a good theory, never thought it that way.

Quote:
We all have different needs and some like me listen to music for long periods (3-4 hours at a strech). A speaker that is bright can become irritating over long periods.
Me too, and listening to the bright sounding aggressive speakers are quite fatiguing, infact I've reduced the highs to -3db in my HU but with that even the clarity of the music goes a bit down and I'm at the loosing side.

Quote:
Some moons back my wife had some Infintiy speakers (6010 or 6020 I think they were) installed in her Opel Sail. I found them a bit bright. knocking of about 0.5db in the 2-4kHz octave resolved this issue (if you search you will find a series of posts that detailed how to do this to this speaker). Modifying a speaker requires some knowledge of speaker crossover design, radiation patterns, and acces to the software and hardware to make the measurements.
Will search for it but I'm not very good at handling electronics but I can take help of a friend who knows this stuff. Thanks for the pointer.

Quote:
If you have specific taste it is best that you listen to any speaker before you buy it.
That's one problem with car audio, it's difficult to get an audition of the speakers unless someone whom I know have the required setup. Most of the shops doesn't have any kind of listening booth. With home audio it's so much easy to do an audition and decide. BTW, I liked the sound of Wharfedale speakers(9.2 or 9.5) as they sound really sweet and not harsh to ears. Any car speakers who have similar kind of audio output if you've heard these speakers?
Old 29th June 2010, 10:21   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW, I liked the sound of Wharfedale speakers(9.2 or 9.5) as they sound really sweet and not harsh to ears. Any car speakers who have similar kind of audio output if you've heard these speakers?
I have heard the 9.2 (not the 9.5). I'd say listen to the JBL GT5 range. The bonus is that they are easily avaialble and not very expensive either. A few steps higher are DLS, Infinity etc...
Old 29th June 2010, 16:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have heard the 9.2 (not the 9.5). I'd say listen to the JBL GT5 range. The bonus is that they are easily avaialble and not very expensive either. A few steps higher are DLS, Infinity etc...
Navin, I reckon that only the sound signature of the wharfdale and the GT5 would be similar.
The quality would be leagues apart, wouldn't it?
Old 30th June 2010, 02:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, so GT5's are different than the GTO's in audio quality? I'm currently running GTO 607c components(around 3-4 years old) via GT5 A644 Amp (1.5yrs old) with scoche wiring kit. But to me they are sounding bit harsh, or can it be due to the placement of tweeters? They are mounted near the ORVM's and the woofers are mounted on the stock location of door(bottom corner) and so the tweeters are much closer than the mid range to the ears. Does that make any difference?
About the price I don't mind spending a bit more if I can get some better music but seems like my whole system has loads of weak points as of now. So as a first step I want to change the speakers or should I first concentrate on a better Amplifier? I fear I'm really deviating the whole topic with my questions.
Old 30th June 2010, 09:12   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The quality would be leagues apart, wouldn't it?
Not really leagues apart. Wharfdale and JBL GT5 are both entry level value concious speakers now if you were comparing the GT5 to a Vandersteen maybe!

Quote:
Oh, so GT5's are different than the GTO's in audio quality? I'm currently running GTO 607c components
The GT5 signature was later aped by either the xx8 series or was it the xx7SE series? Sam will know.

When the GTO xx7 came out it was very successful. Then JBL got out the GT5 (The JBL Swift Twins had the GT5 in them) and many prefered the GT5 over the GTO xx7. So JBL got out the xx8 or the xx7 SE - one of them retains the sonic signature of the GT5 and the other is more GTO xx7ish.

Guys remember 2 things.
a. I am not affiliated with the audio industry. due to my advanced age my new memory is scanty (but I can remember stuff from the 70s and 80s rather clearly) so I dont always get facts exactly right.

b. JBL has always been considered as a Rock - West Coast sound which is brighter than the East Coast sound (a la Boston, ADS, and other east coast brands). West Coast and East Coast are the US Coasts not Indian coasts. So JBLites are looking for a sound that is more aggressive and with a bit more bite. JBL cannot disappoint this core group though I see that even their (the group's) tastes are evolving/changing which is why Harman Intl. uses the Infinity brand to cater to the group that wants their sound a bit more laid back. BTW Other than Harman Kardon and Revel all Harman brands were bought from other owners. M&A at it is best!

If and when the Yeti ever emerges from his Superb lair he can set things straight.
Old 20th December 2010, 12:02   #44
BHPian

Re: Top 10 6.5" Component Car Stereo Speakers

Any 6.5 speakers which is laid back and sweet under 3000 inr available ?
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:10   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Top 10 6.5" Component Car Stereo Speakers

Quote:

The GT5 signature was later aped by either the xx8 series or was it the xx7SE series? Sam will know.

When the GTO xx7 came out it was very successful. Then JBL got out the GT5 (The JBL Swift Twins had the GT5 in them) and many prefered the GT5 over the GTO xx7. So JBL got out the xx8 or the xx7 SE - one of them retains the sonic signature of the GT5 and the other is more GTO xx7ish.

If and when the Yeti ever emerges from his Superb lair he can set things straight.
Jesus, I am late. Apologies.

Yes, the GTOXX7 series were bright and forward, like all the JBL speakers around that time. While many enjoyed it, some complained that it was often "harsh"

The GT-5 series was smooth and a little more laid back. The result was very appealing to many, so the GTOXX8 series maintained the new sonic signature. Still forward, but smooth and easy.

The new GT-6 (released for 2011) is unexpectedly smooth on the highs. Even I'm happily surprised.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks