Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2005, 00:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Top 10 6.5" Component Car Stereo Speakers

Hey bhpian ppl,

I just found this comparo on the Top 10 component speakers. I'm not too sure if many would wanna accept with this rating, but do check it out. Might help a few to decide on a good and effective component speakers. Do check the link for a better read...

http://stereos.about.com/od/carstere..._6halfinch.htm

1) Focal Access 165A 6.5" Component Speaker
Focal has made a strong reputation in the OEM speaker driver world. Their home line JMLab, is well-respected and the Focal car line is one of the bright spots in car stereo. The 165A is a great component setup with a 1" tweeter and a 6.5" bass driver. The crossover network features an adjustable tweeter level and gentle sloping. It's also high-sensitivity (92dB) so it'll work well with low-powered receivers or amplifiers. Lacks a little in the lowest registers but still an excellent choice.

2) Infinity Kappa 60.5cs 6.5" Comppnent Loudspeaker
One of the best speakers available in the class, the Kappa line gets excellent reviews. In the words of one buyer, they are "...floored with the sound reproduction these speakers offer, especially for the price!" Beware of a little brightness at the high-end with female voices, but that can be taken care of with a little crossover adjustment. From my experience, they sound best with a little more power, but they have a high sensitivity so they are versatile.

3) Polk Audio db6500 6.5" Component Loudspeaker
Polk's db6500 component loudspeakers are simply excellent! Great low-end extension gives good bass performance, and the adjustable crossover network is going to correctly tailor the output to your ear. Polk's reputation for value-driven performance is well earned with this model. The liquid-cooled silk/polymer composite tweeters can be mounted in either flush- or surface-mount for your convenience, and the woofer will give you deep, rich lows.

4) Kenwood KFC-P605ie Component Speaker System
Kenwood's '605ie is an under-rated system, with great low-end extension, and lots of good sound. The system is of fairly high-sensitivity, (90dB) so it'll work well with even low-powered systems. The stiffness of the Mica-impregnated driver means stiffness and lightness for good responsiveness. The dome tweeter is efficient, if not super-precise. Still, overall this is a good option for low-cost component setups.

5) Alpine Type-S SPS171A Component Speaker System
The Type-S component speakers are very advanced and they are one of the best speaker value on the market. Excellent low-end performance produces deep, tight bass that will make the most exacting audio enthusiast happy. With a swivel tweeter design for better imaging and more lively sound, you can make your sonic sweet-spot even sweeter. What's best is that they perform great with the power from regular head units, so you can use them with or without an amplifier.

6) JBL P650c 6-1/2" Component Speakers 6-1/2"
If cost is no object, the the JBL's are the class of the bunch. They finished a bit low in this comparo, not because of poor sound quality but because they were a tad costly. I love the performance of these "plus one" speakers, but they are a tad expensive. Design features include an edge-driven tweeter; these are true dome tweeters with larger voice coils - like those found on upper-end home speakers.

7) Rockford Fosgate X162S Component Speaker System
Mr. Fosgate does car and home stereo well. Very well. Unfortunately, in the face of this competition, the 162S comes up a little short. A good component setup, it suffers a bit in low-end extension. It will only go as low as 70Hz, which leaves it on the short-end compared to others in this comparo. It is a well-built system, certainly, but I think that Rockford Fosgate can do better.

8) JL Audio TR650-CSI
This speaker system is a perfect fit for many GM cars and European cars that accept a true 6.5-inch speaker. Very versatile, it offers multiple hole patterns for very easy installation. Designed for smooth, balanced output above 60 Hz and capable of handling the power of today's high-powered head units and amplifiers. I think an amp might benefit this package. The tweet is a textile (paper) dome for smoothness, and the woofer is a mica-injected polypropylene driver for stiffness and strength.

9) MB Quart DSE-216
This is a good, value package. MB Quart offers up an impressive component system at a great price. Its best feature is a coaxial tweeter with an integrated cooling element. The cooling element pulls heat from the magnet and voice coil assembly in the tweet to extend operation and improve power handling. This insures no catastrophic failures and long service life for the component system.

10) Pioneer TS-C1653 6-1/2" Component Speaker
Pioneer's entry into the component market is good. But in the midst of these other offerings, the Pioneer's low sensitivity (which makes it necessary to have an amplifier to effectively drive the system), makes it a low-performer in this comparo. Now, it does offer nice low end extension (down to about 30Hz) so one can get some of that deep bass without adding a subwoofer. The prices on this package are good, so they make a great bargain offering for system builders on a budget.

Navin, what do you say? Would this rating be fair? I'm planning to settle with JBL 6x9 for the rear and Clarion Double Din HU and the Infinity Components, a 6" for the front, and a sony/blaupunkt amp to power the infinity... no sub.. Lemme know what you think. You're the audio man

Peace
AK
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2005, 11:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

well before i even pass judgement please understand that i have not heard all of these besides my listening tastes and preferences are not "normal". I like my sound laid back as i often listen to music for hours at a time and brightness gets fatiguing.

Please try before you buy. Once you have decided on the siz of your speaker they are a simple plug and play. if you cannot find a dealer that is willing to collaborate with you and cooperate with you in your quest look elsewhere. over many years I have developed a relationship with my car and home audio dealers to the extent that they let me take stuff home esp over the weekends.

One last caeveat. Dont try at one dealer then buy from another becuase the price offered was lower. I usually make a formal appointment and expect my dealer to keep that time for me (within reason). Usually this is satruday afternoon when most of my world (family, friends, etc..) is asleep.

1. Focal. I have had the older version of the Access and they are very good. The version i heard had one thing i did not like. The tweeter had a foam surround and in India's hot humid enviroment they might not too long. I have been told Focal has realised this and corrected this. Like I said they are short of being excellent.

2. Infinity. The Kappas are the best they make. I had a pair long ago with their EMIT tweeters. I'd love to have them again. the EMITs were very smooth the bass was a tad dry though. Guess it was the poly cone on the midbass. Expect a smooth treble and a tad dry bass (add a sub).

3. Polk. Another blast from the past. I find them a bit forward (but clear) but they tend to shout when really turned up. My guess is they Q of the tweeter XO is a bit high (to protect the tweeter?). Those you like their sound a bit bright will prefer these. The ferrofluid tweeters can handle a lot of power obliterating the sound of even your own car's horn.

4. Sorry have never even given kenwood a listen but then what do i know. I'm just a biased and pompus audio-snob. Now I got a reason to make a trip to my car installer. I love VFM deals. thanks AK for this tip.

5. Alpine. No comment I have these in my RS. Anything I say will be biased.

6. JBL. Harman Intl Group. Is not Infinity from the same stable. The 650's I listened to did not impress me atleast not as much as the Alpine. Yes they were clean and did everything extremely well but i still found them a bit bright. they did not shout like the Polk though. The edge driven tweeter has already lost it's luster amongst home audio buffs though. Vifa and ScanSpeak make the most popular models there. check/search www.diyaudio.com for more on this.

7-8. RF and JL Audio. 2 brands I have not heard. RF makes nice amps though.

9. MB Q. The can run with the best. If I had to do my RS over again maybe these would have found their way in.

10. Pio. Again my audio-snobbery prevented me from giving these a listen. I am truly sorry for this attitude of mine. I will correct it. Thanks AK for bringing the Pio and Kenwoord to my attention.

lastly I dont care what any mag thinks even mags that i had respect for have failed me. I do give some credence to the fourms though. but most of all i trust me ears. I think this is the best advise i can offer here. Trust your ears. Understand your limitations (space, budget, etc...) and be willing to experiment and compomise.

Of these lot I'd look at MBQ, Focal, Polk, Infinity and JBL. None of them are excellent but in their own way all of them are extremely good.

BTW The best sound i have heard in my life was at the mercedes benz (daimler-benz) head quarters in stuttgart when becker made some custom audio equipment for their audio saloon. this was when the A class was on the drawing board and some of the engineers there were grumbling that they had been given a budget (apparently they have never been given a budget before).

Last edited by navin : 4th July 2005 at 11:43.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2005, 14:21   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

<<<<<<6. JBL. Harman Intl Group. Is not Infinity from the same stable>>>>>>>>>

Hi Navin, yes they are. Infinity is sort of like our Lexus.
Old 6th July 2005, 14:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

<<<<<<BTW The best sound i have heard in my life was at the mercedes benz (daimler-benz) head quarters in stuttgart when becker made some custom audio equipment for their audio saloon. this was when the A class was on the drawing board and some of the engineers there were grumbling that they had been given a budget (apparently they have never been given a budget before).>>>>>>>>

Becker is also part of the same Harman group. Just thought you'd like to know

Cheers
Old 6th July 2005, 21:35   #5
BHPian

No Kicker/SoundStream Component speakers in first 10 !?

Suraj
Old 7th July 2005, 12:09   #6
Team-BHP Support

[quote=Sam Kapasi
Becker is also part of the same Harman group. Just thought you'd like to know[/QUOTE]

Today it is. In the early 80s it was not. Remember my 3 year old son's quote "Papa are you older than the Dinosaurs?". My wife told him i was!

Today if you are not part of Harman or Bose (as an audio company)you are not making a profit. Every Dave (Wilson), Jim (Theil), and Richard (Vandersteen) are having it rough. Smaller guys like Joe Joesph soldier on, on passion alone.

BTW has Harman Intl started sourcing car audio drive units from India yet. I heard Infinity USA was for their Home Theater (for the Phantom Series).

I tried to get the local manufacturers (u know who) to supply retail but they consider it too small a market to service. So you mgiht one day get a JBL speaker imported from Sing or Dubai but made in India.
Old 7th July 2005, 13:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The governement in India doesnt promote manufacturing. Here we are happy in a city like Mumbai with SEEPZ, and there the chinese govt is busy making the whole country a SEEPZ.
D2Audio (the makers of the digital amplification module for the harman/kardon DPRs, based in Texas) manufactures its digital module in India.
As far as I know, this is the only harman link to manufacturing in India.
Old 9th July 2005, 11:16   #8
Team-BHP Support

Damodar Ratha of Peerless India was making drivers for Infinity and a few other brands. Atleast those are his claims.
Old 2nd August 2005, 05:00   #9

Thank you for your (indirect) feedback

Hello,
My name is Tony Armstrong and I am the About.com Guide to Home and Car stereo. I would like to thank k_ajay for linking to my article, and to the rest of you for parousing my choices of hot 6.5 speakers.

Please feel free to visit my site at http://stereos.about.com to view new articles on both home and mobile audio, as I do my best to cover the best the world has to offer those that love good sound.

If you have any questions, you may also email me at stereos.guide@about.com or use AIM and reach me at my user name: StereoAbout

Again, thanks for being about the business of good sound and I hope to hear you before I see you.

Warmest,
Tony Armstrong
Old 2nd August 2005, 10:17   #10
Team-BHP Support

welcome Tony. We would love it if you contribute to our Audio threads too. We sure could use some expert advice.
Old 6th September 2005, 09:36   #11

Thank You!

I am glad to be here...I just moved to NYC, so I've been away for a little bit. I am back now...I look forward to being a member of this community!
Old 6th September 2005, 09:38   #12
Team-BHP Support

where in NYC. I was raised in Borrklyn. I like to leave where in Brooklyn ambigious but actually I was raised in the sissy part of Boooklyn - the Heights (you know the area around Montague Street, Remsen Street, etc..).
Old 6th September 2005, 12:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey Tony. Its so nice to hear from you again. I posted your article here so others could use it to make some decisions.... Btw, I just bought a car 2 days ago, and I got an Alpine HU with JBL 506 components for the front and 936 ovals for the rear....

It sounds amazing... And I might add an amp tomorrow...

Good to have u around here Tony, and welcome to Team BHP.... Good day

Last edited by k_ajay : 6th September 2005 at 12:13.
Old 10th September 2005, 05:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys

Im new to this forum so first of all... Its a pleasure seeing an Indian forum and honestly, I am more than pleased to be here. I have been into Car Audio for quite a few years now and I hope I will be able to contribute to this community.

Here is my current system. A few of you may be able to appreciate this system:

Car: Hyundai Getz GLS
Head Unit: Clarion HX-D2
Front Stage: Image Dynamics Chameleons 6.5" (Active XO, bi-amped)