Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2005, 10:16   #1

Audio Spec for Swift

Hi,
I looked in the forums but didnt find an answer to this question.

Can you guide me on the specs I should look out for while
buying a indash cd (with mp3) player in USA for use in a Maruti
Swift. (I booked for a swift vxi+abs)

I am looking for whether I should buy a Iso or iso-din or din or ..
Can I buy 1 din or 2 din or whatever...

I am not a big audio phile and decent sound will do - I have a few gift cards for about $200 in US electronics stores and I would like to use them.

Thanks
(NotSo)SwiftDriver
Old 4th July 2005, 12:31   #2
BHPian

Swift Stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdriver
Hi,
Can you guide me on the specs I should look out for while
buying a indash cd (with mp3) player in USA for use in a Maruti
Swift. (I booked for a swift vxi+abs)
I am looking for whether I should buy a Iso or iso-din or din or ..
Can I buy 1 din or 2 din or whatever...
I am not a big audio phile and decent sound will do - I have a few gift cards for about $200 in US electronics stores and I would like to use them.
Thanks
(NotSo)SwiftDriver
Hey SwiftDriver, welome to TeamBHP!

I picked up the Swift a fortnight ago and too am not a audiophile.

FYG, I have fitted a Sony Headunit with Aatrack and MP3 (bought in Dubai for 540 dhms) and 4 Speakers (fitted in factory provided space in the doors - no rear tray) also from Sony India (MRP 1700 per pair). The system works very well - no issues.

I really do not know what the DIN numbers mean viz-a-viz car stereos - sorry.

IMO, Buy any Headunit which provides good After sales service in India (Sony, Alpine, Kenwood etc.) and you will be good to go.

Cheers
Old 4th July 2005, 20:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

what is your budget? what do you listen to?
almost any car stereo will work with any speaker (within reason) so dont worry about that and unlike AC voltages car batteries are almost all 12V.

If you can afford alpine go for them I love mine and i have had alpines since the mid 80s. my 7385 outlasted 3 cars and a drop from a 3rd floor window though i would not reommend you treat your stereo the same.

ecslipse makes good stuff but i am not sure you will get service in india. Pio's Premier line and Sony are also worth looking at.

I would look at a HU with 4V pre outs and subwoofer controls. It will give you room from growth (amps, subs, etc...). www.crutchfield.com is a good place to start.

hope this helps
Old 5th July 2005, 11:32   #4

Follow Up

Thanks very much for the tips.

I have a basic question

When I buy a head unit, are all of the head units the same physical size? What are ISO/DIN , ISO, DIN ? How do I know which size to get to fit the swift?

I listen to folk songs, and carnatic and western classical 90% of
the time. 10% will be whatever comes up on FM.

-Swift Driver
Old 5th July 2005, 14:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,
After going through this thread I ordered Component speakers for the front from USA for 170 dollars for Rockford. I also ordered AudioBahn 6 *9 for the read for another 150 dollars. I ordered a Pioneer HU 66xx for 200 dollars. However here are some questions. I went to the market here for installation and an Amplifier price. They said that the amplifier feed wont go into the front speakers even if its 4 channel. They said that amp feed will blow away the speakers. They said amp feed could only go for rear and subwoofer if i want one. Also they suggested kicker wiring. And their prices were far tooo low compared to what I have.
They were giving component speakers for 3000 Rs, Pioneer HU for 7xxx Rs and Alpine Amp for 35xx Rs. Why such a huge drop in prices from US? Are these genuine or fake? Can he put Amp input to my front speakers without issues?
Old 5th July 2005, 14:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

since you listen to classical music and dont really need huge bass or anything i would reccomend a nakamichi . it has excellent sound quality and each and every instrument can be heard perfectly.
Old 5th July 2005, 16:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

swiftdriver, HUs come in 3 common sizes (other than OEM HUs see http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OiBcCFK...?g=52500&avf=N).
(a) 2 stick which was common in the US - you have 2 multifunction knob at each end of teh face panel. see http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OiBcCFK...0&I=140MARB102
(b) DIN - these are the most common today. Typically about 6.8" wide, 6" deep and 2.5" tall.
(c) 2 DIN - same depth and width as DIN but twice the height. today these are used for CD-Casstte combos.

Nakamichi is indeed quite good but also quite expensive. The CD 400 does not have MP3 capability the CD 500 does. pick your poison.

Aseem, some HUs have only rear RCA out. Hence you are expected to use teh internal HU amp for the front speakers and may use an external amp only for rear speakers. That said you can get a speaker to line level adapter and attach a external amp to the front speakers as well. However I would recommend that you use 2 seperate amps for this (dont use a 4 channel amp this way but get 2 2 channel amps) and be careful of ground loops. The must have said that the HU would damage the amp. Few amps can damage speakers without a speaker complaining (this does not apply to tweeters). Stick to Authorised dealers and you will get genuine stuff. see http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OiBcCFK...sp?g=721&avf=Y
Old 5th July 2005, 19:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin

Aseem, some HUs have only rear RCA out. Hence you are expected to use teh internal HU amp for the front speakers and may use an external amp only for rear speakers. That said you can get a speaker to line level adapter and attach a external amp to the front speakers as well. However I would recommend that you use 2 seperate amps for this (dont use a 4 channel amp this way but get 2 2 channel amps) and be careful of ground loops. The must have said that the HU would damage the amp. Few amps can damage speakers without a speaker complaining (this does not apply to tweeters). Stick to Authorised dealers and you will get genuine stuff. see http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OiBcCFK...sp?g=721&avf=Y
My HU has 3 RCA outs of 4 v each. Please let me know if I can use a single 4 channel amp to plug into my components in the front. Please explain in laymans term as I am getting confused
Old 5th July 2005, 19:18   #9
Team-BHP Support

3 RCA outs usually mean front, rear and sub.
this is your deck almost...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OBQ9Zmt...0&I=130DEHP670

find out from the manual which RCA pair is for the front and rear.

connect front and rear RCA pair to input on amp (your amp has 4 channels, you are using 4 of the 6 outputs on the HU).

connect amp to speakers

On some stereos you need to turn on the HU and program HU to not use it's internal amp

make sure amp is in 4 channel mode and running full range (no high pass or low pass filters).

should work.

PM me if you need more.
Old 6th July 2005, 14:09   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
since you listen to classical music and dont really need huge bass or anything i would reccomend a nakamichi . it has excellent sound quality and each and every instrument can be heard perfectly.

Nakamichi did make some nice Car Head Units. The speakers were a little sucky.
Old 7th July 2005, 04:43   #11

Hi Sam,

A couple of quick questions - am in Singapore right now and checked the Pioneer 7650 at Mustafa for S$320 ? They have the 2650 at S$160 which I believe is available for 4.5k in the grey market in Bangalore.

At these prices is it a good deal? Or is it less painful to pick it up in India?

At Simlim square some of the guys were recommending the JVC as it has a 24 bit resolution - does it make a diff. to the audio quality?

I have booked a Swift Vxi - and i picked up a 8 inch sub in the US during a sale now i need a HU which has a Sub pre - out - what do you recommend?

Thanks.

DVZ
Old 7th July 2005, 09:35   #12
BHPian

Hi Divz,

I am also in singapore and recently bought a wagonr.
So scouting for an audio system too.
Let me know if u run into good deals anywhere.
Your mailbox is full, hence not able to send PM.

Regards,
Conan
Old 7th July 2005, 11:48   #13
Team-BHP Support

Divz, Conan ddid you guys visit Adelphi at 1 Coleman Street.
Old 7th July 2005, 12:01   #14
BHPian

Hi Navin,
We have no idea where to buy.
Old 7th July 2005, 13:31   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divz
Hi Sam,

A couple of quick questions - am in Singapore right now and checked the Pioneer 7650 at Mustafa for S$320 ? They have the 2650 at S$160 which I believe is available for 4.5k in the grey market in Bangalore.

At these prices is it a good deal? Or is it less painful to pick it up in India?

At Simlim square some of the guys were recommending the JVC as it has a 24 bit resolution - does it make a diff. to the audio quality?

I have booked a Swift Vxi - and i picked up a 8 inch sub in the US during a sale now i need a HU which has a Sub pre - out - what do you recommend?

Thanks.

DVZ
Mustafa's deals are often good, but not always. Check out Edison Electronics.at Sim Lim Square, ground floor and say hi to Kenny Tan from Sam. He'll give you a discount. Oh and tell him I'm coming on the 18th of July for another Nikon D70, thanks.

For 3 to 400 bucks, doesnt make sense to buy from S'pore. If something doesnt work properly, who's neck will you catch huh?

I'm not a fan of pioneer, but some one who's telling you JVC sounds better is yanking your thingy. Dont buy JVC. Look for Clarion or alpine instead. It's better to buy a low budget alpine than a high budget JVC.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks