Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 20:48   #1

GPS in My White Swift VDI

Hi Members..

Swift VDI with GPS Set Top Box hooked up to an Pioneer AVH-P5750dvd in dash DVD unit. Maps are from Sat Nav and they are quite accurate.Set Top Box(STB) is connected via RGB input cable to enable all touch screen controls.

Pics Below enjyyyyy

waiting for your comments fellow Bhpians
Attached Thumbnails
GPS in My White Swift VDI-dsc00178.jpg  

GPS in My White Swift VDI-dsc00179.jpg  

GPS in My White Swift VDI-dsc00180.jpg  

GPS in My White Swift VDI-dsc00181.jpg  

Old 24th August 2009, 23:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Interesting!

1. Which make / model is this 'GPS set top box'? Any link to the product? How much did it cost, and where?

2. Can understand an RGB connection for the box to the display, but how does the box get connected to the touchscreen part? USB?

3. Where have you mounted the 'set top box'?
Old 24th August 2009, 23:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

And is it the photography angle or does it actually block the AC blowers ?
Old 24th August 2009, 23:44   #4

Hi..

@DerAlte GPS Set Top Box i have imported it from Korea.It cost me Rs 13k with shipping.RGB connection has been done from the RGB port on the Set Top Box to the RGB port on the back of the Pioneer DVD Unit. This STB Box only works with Pioneer DVD players with RGB input.Box has been mounted behind the DVD Unit into the dashboard.I have mounted the GPS Receiver on the windscreen.

@Eddy Yes it does block the ac vents but not completely. First i had mounted the dvd on the top but then i changed its position as it blocked the ac vents.Now its fine...
Old 25th August 2009, 09:22   #5
sun
BHPian

Is it something like this ? http://www.ecvv.com/product/1245876.html

How is the map loaded ? Via SD Card ?

Cool device.
Old 25th August 2009, 12:14   #6

Sun maps are loaded through SD card..
Old 25th August 2009, 12:36   #7
BHPian

Its a nice gadget you got plugged into your car. I hope it serves the purpose very well.

Highly O.T: I remember it from my last trip to India, I had to go to a village to visit a distance acquaintance. I wasn't sure of the way to their home so I asked some locals for directions. I was advised to go straight, take a right from that puddle of water (it was some dug-out earth filled with rain water), keep going till I see two chopped down eucalyptus trees and take a left from there to get into village, go straight and ask for local kite shop. The person lives right in front of that kite shop (believe me guys directions for "The Kite Shop" was as funny as previous ones and was no way nearer a GPS could flag it). It was that day when I realised GPS can never be 100% successful in India where directions change with climate conditions and circumstances.

Sorry guys didn't want to hijack the thread but the topic of discussion brought back some memories

@Hihaneet: Try mounting GPS on windsheild towards bottom right corner or in the middle towards dashboard, this way It wont block air vents

Last edited by Punzabi : 25th August 2009 at 12:42. Reason: Added a suggestion for OP
Old 25th August 2009, 13:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

LOL that was a nice anecdote, @punzabi! Yes, you are right, we are a long way from accurately mapping smaller roads, one-ways (keep changing all the time) and landmarks. Growing pains, like any other developing country adapting to technology. We thank the makers of the maps for whatever is there currently, and hope they do a better job in the future. Even Google and Yahoo are just not there in mapping the rural areas.

At the heart of the problem is the effort put in by the map makers, or more precisely the guys who do the actual work. Most missing information is because of compromising quality for the sake of getting the product into the market early. Time is money, but bad quality does not promote a market that really brings in the money.

BTW, in the pics it is not the GPS unit which is blocking the AC vents, it is the display of the DVD player.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:16   #9

Yes fellow members you are absolutely rite still there's a long way to go for the GPS to get fully developed in a country like India.Delhi has a lot of construction and development being done in terms of Metro lines and Flyovers being constructed all round the city. Still some more years to see People using GPS in their cars just like every other person using a mobile phone now a days.I can say that these map companies have done a good job till now to make it as accurate as possible. Well i am using SAT NAV Maps and it does the job well as most of my driving is done in Delhi itself...
Old 26th August 2009, 12:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

this is a good setup for navigation, whats the total cost of the setup?( without amp and speakers)
Old 26th August 2009, 12:41   #11

@Gigy I have not yet added any amps just normal speakers as i will import a good set of speakers and amps from US. Total cost till now has come upto 30k for GPS Set Top Box & Pioneer AVH-P5750DVD.
Old 7th December 2009, 01:03   #12
BHPian

@hihaneet,
I am getting a Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD from the US. I liked your setup and would like to setup a similar one for my Swift VDi as well.

Can you pls list the accessories required? (i mean the exact model / specification details)...

Thanks in advance.

Rgds--
Old 10th December 2009, 09:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

But isn't this an expensive option for GPS ?
Old 10th December 2009, 10:29   #14
BHPian

hi guys. i would love to have a similar set up in my SX4. can anyone guide me on what is required to be done!
Old 10th December 2009, 10:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihaneet View Post
@Gigy I have not yet added any amps just normal speakers as i will import a good set of speakers and amps from US. Total cost till now has come upto 30k for GPS Set Top Box & Pioneer AVH-P5750DVD.
This budget can let one have a carputer which will solve more purposes than just GPS.

Carputer users correct me if I am wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks