Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 10:52   #1
BHPian

Pioneer DEH - 4190 SD

Hi Friends,

I have picked up a Pioneer DEH 4190 SD from Autoshop Bangalore, Unfortunately I find that it is not playing 250 GB Portable external Hard Disk. The support mannual says that the system can take up to 250 GB Hard Disk in FAT 32 format which would maximum draw 500 mA current. I have ensured that my HD complies with all the technical requirement this Head Unit asks for.

I have also tried to play the same Disk on another 4190 SD head unit, the issue still the same. Just to ensure that it is not my Hard Disk problem, we went to Autoshop in Koramanga and tried play different Hard Disk on 4190 SD, it did not work. While the same Disks (Both mine and the one from Autoshop) works well in all pioneer models.

Now I have opened a case with Pioneer and gonna send all the snaps and screenshots to them to investigate the issue. In the mean time if any of our fellow BHPian have purchased this unit, then please get it checked with Pioneer service center whether their Head Unit plays a 250 GB external portable hard disk with FAT32 file system. I will keep you all posted as I get the updates.

Note: The Autoshop folks were really kind enough to get in touch Pioneer and get the case moving. So, if anyone needs their unit to be tested, please walk into Autoshop Koramangala, bangalore, I sure they would be pleased to check the system for you.
Old 27th August 2009, 08:59   #2
BHPian

A Plain response from Pioneer

Though Pioneer folks, Gurgaon were kind enough to look into the issue straight away, what saddened me was the outcome of their investigation. They stated that, they don't have a proper simulating environment as they don't have a Hard Disk of that volume Capacity. They are one of the pioneers in ICE and still how is it possible to not to have a simulating environment for all those media file sources they claim that their system support? Very strange. 4 days since communcation started between me and Pioneer India, there is no time frame they have given me to solve this issue. All they said is, give me sometime. I dnt know how long. If they are not able to simulate it here in India, they are going to send it to Singapore Technical team it seems. Now there are 2 Pioneer DEH 4190 SD customers who face this problem and I am not sure how many are out there who have not realized that their system have a problem.

Keeping my fingers crossed and keep you all posted.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:42   #3
BHPian

Hi there,

Another update. Pioneer has simulated the same scenario there at office and it is confirmed that it is not working with them either. Engineer has promised to update me about the fix by tomorrow.
Old 27th August 2009, 15:32   #4
BHPian

Pioneer service seems to be promising.
Old 27th August 2009, 15:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

how much did you pay for the unit?
Old 27th August 2009, 16:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

thats a strange problem, seems they might have not encountered any feedback of a kind like yours till now and so are working on it.How much did you paid for that head unit?Pioneer is leading company for car music systems so i do think they would solve this problem at the earliest time.
Old 27th August 2009, 18:36   #7
BHPian

How much did the Pioneer DEH-4190SD cost you? I am in the market for a new HU too, still researching. Does anyone know of good ICE stores/installers in Bangalore North?
Old 27th August 2009, 21:27   #8
BHPian

I picked up this piece from Autoshop, Koramangala Bangalore for 8000+12.5% tax. i.e. 9000k. This is the 3rd 4190 SD that we have picked from the same shop.

Now on the thread that I have with Pioneer India, they have forward my technical case across to Pioneer regional Head quarters Singapore. Still waiting for a possible resolution. Looks they are seriously working on this issue. Will be back here with next update.
Old 14th September 2009, 19:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varriers View Post
Now on the thread that I have with Pioneer India, they have forward my technical case across to Pioneer regional Head quarters Singapore. Still waiting for a possible resolution.
Did you get any update on this?
I am planning to go for this HU from the same shop you had bought.
Shall I go for it or some other models?
Old 14th September 2009, 20:44   #10
BANNED

Just curious - can they do updates for hardware already in market - like re-programming some ROM or like?
Old 6th October 2009, 19:17   #11
BHPian

The issue has taken me no where. Pioneer folks have got out of trouble by quoting the line in Support Document, saying that it might or might not work with all the External Hard Disk Model!. Is there anything else that I can try my friends on this?
Old 7th October 2009, 12:46   #12
BHPian

^ Did they mention the hard disk model with which it works for the 250GB HDD.
Did you try any lower capacity HDD?
Old 12th October 2009, 13:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
^ Did they mention the hard disk model with which it works for the 250GB HDD.
Did you try any lower capacity HDD?
It works with Hard Disk with external power suply, I mean if you connect to 12v, down grade it, using an adapter to provide 6V 500 mA, some disks it works(But not always). I have done some research on this and found that it does not work with single cable(Both Power and data) HD. In anycase, I would test the head Unit next time with my own hard disk before buying a pioneer, also I would suggest fellow BHPians to refrain from 4190SD, if you intent to play songs with External Disk.

We learn by experience right. So for this time, I have decided to take the beating, playing it with 16 GB USB and keep refreshing the drives with new songs. Trying to find out a hard disk, which works this one, with single cable. The constaint is that, it has to be FAT32 ,single partition and all. It is really disappointing when you pick up a HD, change it from exisitng NTFS to FAT32 and put some songs there and finally it does not play.
Old 16th October 2009, 23:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
how much did you pay for the unit?
Paid 7800 with B&W from Car Jewels in Mission road.
Old 25th November 2009, 21:45   #15
BHPian

Varriers:

Can you please throw more light on your experience with this player?
Please do let me know about the speakers that you have with this HU.

Share the pros & cons would be a precise question rather!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks