Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2005, 02:36   #181
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sam Navin and Other Experts...
After a lot of research on audio set up for my swift I finally went to do window shopping today to get an idea of the prices. I checked Elegant out again taking the advise from Sam. My total budget is not a penny more than 25k. Anyways below are the list of options I got and a bunch of questions for Sam and Navin and experts:

1) Headunit: Pioneer 6750 for 7.5k (though he asked for 8k initially)

Problem: This head unit has a front pre out and a sub/rear out for 2 V instead of three 4V pre outs. Other options are Sony 7710 for 10k Gray market and Sony 8800 for 13.5k gray market. Also the base model for Alpine starting at 12k. The Sony's have three 4V pre outs and so does alpine.

Than comes the rear speaker part which was a no brainer since I want to go for 6" speaker only that go in the doors.

2) Rear Speaker: JBL 636E for 3.5k with bill from Elegant

Front speakers is another dilemna I am facing as I found the 606E JBL very shrill to my liking. I became in two minds as I heard the 636 and 606E one after the other. Although the music was very clear with the compos, but I found them high treble. Now I have Blankpunkt front speakers in my Santro (1400Rs) and they are soo shrill that I hate them. I was just worried that these compos might turn out like them. He gave me another option for Blankpunkt Compos for 4.5 k.... How are the blankpunt compos? Or should I go for 636 front and rear?

3) Front speakers: tentatively lets say 606E for 6k

4) Amplifier part was also confusing, he offered me Sony amp for 5k without bill and 5.4k with bill. Why 400 Rs difference, is the 5k one fake? He also said that the amplifier wont be able to handle 4 speakers and a woofer. I told him that Sam suggested cross the first two channels for front and rear speakers and give the other two channels to the rear... is this not possible or was he trying to save some wiring or labor?

5) Basetube.... another complicated decision. The JBL 12" tube was offered to me for 5k, is the price OK? I found the size too big, he said that wont be a problem for a Swift, but where will the luggage go? He very relunctantly also mentioned an 8 or 10" tube from Blankpunt at 4k but said he is not prepared to sell it as that doesnt have the effect... Is the JBL tube that good? When I suggested it might go over budget he said he can give me Sony 1300 W woofer model number 122 for 3.5k with box. Is this worth it??? Wont the box move in the car and jump with the bumps? Should I go for base tube than since it can be tied to the seat?

How to budget this in 25k... which items to delete??? Should I go for a better headunit with 3 pre outs? and save money on speakers and not go for components in front? Here is what the things look like tentatively, and hey I got the wiring for free included. Are prices ok?

1. HU Pioneer 6750: 7.5k (Gray)
2. Front Compos JBL 606E: 6k
3. Rear Speakers JBL 636E: 3.5k
4. Amplifier Sony: 5k wihtout bill 5.4k with bill
5. Base Tube JBL 12": 5k

Grand Total: 27k.... Over budget by 2k :( Help out Sam, isnt Elegant motors your freind. Guys suggestion, Decision Time soon.

Last edited by aseem : 24th July 2005 at 02:39.
Old 24th July 2005, 12:19   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartouch_56
i think you should go for
pioneer:5750:7.2k(frony/rear/sub woffer)
soundstream componunt:6.0k
soundstream speaker:2.8k
pioneer sub:2.8k
box/wiring/fitting:2k
sony amp:4.5k(gray)
this will fit in your 25k.
Thanks cartouch, but some more questions...
But why go for Pioneer 5750 for 7.2k when I am getting 6750 for 7.5k? Are soundstream compos better than JBL, and is Sony 122 sub with box for 3.5k with bill not better than pioneer sub for 2.8k?
Old 24th July 2005, 12:43   #183
lancer_mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
srasania, Low frequency drivers do not be directed towards the listener. Higher frequencies are directional i.e the tweeter needs to be aimed at the listener.
As for the subs inside the boot, I have hardly seen the insides of sedans. So I dont know. sam, navin, car touch and all others.. over to you guys.

lancer_mania, please, please please don't buy Pioneer speakers. Get yourself Blaupunkt/Alpine/JBL.

why are you disuading me from buying pioneer speakers i thought they were good value for money.

my budget is 11 k max and a cant exceed that so thats why.so can you please suggest some good speakers mainly need them for bass listen to a lot of hip hop.i dont want them to crack often when its loud so want good ones for base.

Old 24th July 2005, 14:51   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Parcel shelves are stupid. Wagon Rs have wonderful push back seats in the rear, perfect for a snooze or to make out.
Once you fit the parcel shelf in, you cant make out in the rear anymore.
Hehe, agree with you pal... u sure read my mind there ...

Thanks a ton Sam and Navin (oops!). I'll try your suggestions out.

Revv
Old 24th July 2005, 14:59   #185
Senior - BHPian

Lancer mania.. the reason why they are dissuading you is the material Pioneer uses to manufacture their speakers. Treble is good, but not bass. Moreover, Pioneers available in our country arent necessarily the original ones... so you never know what you get.

I had used Pioneers for 14 years before i shifted to JBLs. And trust me, i am hooked to them. Why not give the CS3360 a try. They are excellent in terms of clarity and can handle a wide variety of music, without themselves distorting, until you reach the last 5% of the volume capability. And yes, they cost around 3.5 k a pair. Look at the GTO series as well since they have replaced the CS series (is that true Sam?) and should cost you the same or marginally more.

Revv
Old 24th July 2005, 15:19   #186
BANNED

Hello Guys,

This is my first question...Am getting a Swift very soon....have been going thru the site, regarding what is the best audio combination....it still eludes me, am still not getting any good solid answers so have decided to myself ask u AUDIO GURUS for a small help

1. Has anyone heard the audio output in swift from the speakers attached in doors.....I mean i still have my reservations as far as good bass effect is concerned.

2. Since we have a small boot...cant do much for an audiophile maniac like me... and as Maruti has not come out with the parcel tray (acc rarely available till date).....how do i get that booming effect.

3. Also since the tray is small i doubt if i can attach a 10" or 12" sub-woofer..... So i guess need to go for a tube....Pls recommend a good one guyz

4. After extensive search i found the Soundstream Speakers quite interesting (The specs ofcourse)...Planning to go for 6.5" Xtreme Series 4 speakers and a 2 channel Amp. The speakers has output of 120 RMS each...Now thats kewl na

5. Planning to go for Sony 5610/5810 awesome red display.....

Now guys many questions have been asked and replies given but i still have not found a convincing solution...thats y i have asked this question....Please tell mw whether this is a good combination..... and the most imp answer i wud like is how is the sound quality from doors when compared with the speakers in the parcel tray....

Thanks in advance guys
Old 24th July 2005, 16:10   #187
lancer_mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
Lancer mania.. the reason why they are dissuading you is the material Pioneer uses to manufacture their speakers. Treble is good, but not bass. Moreover, Pioneers available in our country arent necessarily the original ones... so you never know what you get.

I had used Pioneers for 14 years before i shifted to JBLs. And trust me, i am hooked to them. Why not give the CS3360 a try. They are excellent in terms of clarity and can handle a wide variety of music, without themselves distorting, until you reach the last 5% of the volume capability. And yes, they cost around 3.5 k a pair. Look at the GTO series as well since they have replaced the CS series (is that true Sam?) and should cost you the same or marginally more.

Revv

so the cs3360 are jbl right ?? could you suggest somthing really good that you would want to put in your car or already have which doesnt exceed 11k

looking for hu and front and rear speakers.

so please suggest a good combination.im very grateful for the response im getting and thanx in advance.

Old 24th July 2005, 16:31   #188
BHPian

Lancer mania, I too had a budget of around 12K but I ended up spending 14.5K. I say that because as many others have said buy speakers from a speaker manufacturing company.

Aseem, first decide on which head unit you want to buy. Then decide whether you want to have components or 4 or 5 inch speakers for the front. Listen to different brands and models and take it from there. One should not hurry up with this or you may end up with something you do not like.
4V pre-outs will be better. If the amp he is offering you is a 4 channel amp then you certainly can connect 2 front and 2 rear speakers. But for the subwoofer, you will need a one channel amp or a 2 channel amp bridged for higher power.

Cheers,
Vivek
Old 24th July 2005, 17:25   #189
BHPian

Wow, got my head in a real spin reading all of the above...

Ok, I've booked a Baleno Lxi and am going to check out the market for car audios.

Unfortunately, although, I consider myself quite a car buff, as far as audio setups and different brands go, after reading all these posts, I just realised that i'm like some ape from the stone age!

Can U experts please help me out? I want a good Mp3/Cd multiple disc H.U if possible + 4 speakers- Ovals at the back? Co-axils?? Component speakers? Duhh?

Should i go in for Blaupunkt ( Bahamas, Los Angeles,etc. etc- they are available with the dealer) or go in for Sony xplod ystem? I don't think genuine Pioneer or JBL are available in these parts of the woods!

I know that Pioneer Headunits are compatible with i-pod. Can a Blaupunkt or Sony headunit be made compatible with the i-pod without losing out on the sound quality?

Lastly, from above posts I gather that for a good "hi-fi" sound, an amplifier is an absolute must. Could u guys suggest a couple of complete sets- Headunits, Front and Rear speakers,
tweeters(?), good wirings and amp from either Blaupunkt or Sony with their approximate costs so that I'm slightly prepared to face the dealer/ salesman/ con guy without looking like a real Dehaati..

I mentioned blaupunkt repeatedly coz I'm getting a 28k discount on the car and plan to spend it on the audio, if possible as the other accessories like tyres, alloys, rear spoiler etc.are much cheaper and got more variety outside. I Blaupunkt's really not worth it, pls. tell me.

I know all of U guys reading are thinking, " thios guy dosen't belong here!" what to do? with a Soft top Gypsy as a personal car and a Bolero as a family car, didn't get much chance to explore the finer aspects as far as in -car entertainment, til now.

Please help me out....
Old 24th July 2005, 18:55   #190
BHPian

Stuff from the showroom always has inflated prices. See if you can get a cash discount and buy your audio or other accessories outside.
Then read and read and read the threads on audio here. You will know a lot of stuff in no time.
Old 24th July 2005, 22:18   #191
Senior - BHPian

Guys I finally bought my car audio system. Or should I say I have started and have laid the foundation of my first system and today I put the first stone of my project. I began the morning convincing my dad that we should go at least look at a system as I am going to Bangalore on 1st August so no one will be driving the car in August. Dad wanted me to buy the system in September, but I have my way with dad
So I take him there, in my mind was a plan that we will buy Pioneer 6750 for 7.5k and front components and rear triaxials, or maybe both triaxials as I was not very impressed by JBL compos as they are way too bright. However once we went there we were in dilemna as to which HU to buy as my brother (elder) wanted me to buy the Sony 8800. So here I am in Elegant Motors looking at the Sony 8800 and Pioneer 6750. The Sony 8800 was for 13k without bill. I was leaning more towards the Pioneer as I could have got the system and still have money for a 4 channel Amplifier. We made the sales dude there connect both the system to the same speakers, and than the decision was made. The Pioneer system was a pain to listen too, the treble was bothering me, the system was very shrill. But the Sony was smooth and the display was awesome. My dad told me that we can buy the amplifier and base tube later, but I should go for the better system.
So we went for the Sony 8800 HU for 13k with bill.
Then came the component part, since we didnt like JBL compos we considered the JBL GTO 636E for both front and rear for 3.5 k. Than we tried the Sony compos for 5k without crossover and they sounded awesome but the dude over there at Elegant said he only has them in 5 inches and really discouraged me to buy them... wonder why??? Lastly we choose to demo one more compo from Boss. Once we heard it, the decision was made. The Boss components had exactly the same thing that the JBL lacked, the notes were fuller and the treble was not ear tearing.
So we went for the Boss components for the front for 6k with bill.
We choose the conservative GTO 636E for the rear for 3.5k with bill.

So in the end the system was complete and I will be upgrading to a 4 channel amplifier from Sony and JBL base tube once I am back in September or maybe october.

Rest I drove the car with my new system, I was really impressed wiht the Boss Components and at one point half way to home both me and my dad contemplated getting components for the rear as well as we didnt like the rear comparitively, however choose over it.

I have an Esteem with Sony 3300 and front 700Rs Kenwood 4inches and rear Pioneer with a 2 channel amplifier and woofer. However listening to the music in my Swift today was a complete change. I didnt have to increase the Volume to enjoy my music. This time I didnt enjoy the base or the beat, but I heard the actual song. I could hear so many notes that I had never heard before. I just wanted to thanks this forum, for solving all my car needs. I have learnt so much since I have joined this forum. I couldnt have done this without this forum
Old 24th July 2005, 23:05   #192
Senior - BHPian

And hey! Montoya came 2nd too from 20th on the grip. What a great day for me.
Old 25th July 2005, 00:21   #193
lancer_mania

please help

still cant make up my mind.some people say pionner is good and value for money and some say pioneer isnt good.

some one please help me out and suggest a descent setup.budget 11k

and can the rear speakers be fitted in the hatch of the zen by cutting out holes.

how will it sound and will it cause the hatch to vibrate a lot ??

Old 25th July 2005, 00:49   #194
BANNED

Hello Audio Gurus

No replies to my queries plz help me fast
Old 25th July 2005, 01:36   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesh111
Hello Guys,

This is my first question...Am getting a Swift very soon....have been going thru the site, regarding what is the best audio combination....it still eludes me, am still not getting any good solid answers so have decided to myself ask u AUDIO GURUS for a small help

1. Has anyone heard the audio output in swift from the speakers attached in doors.....I mean i still have my reservations as far as good bass effect is concerned.

2. Since we have a small boot...cant do much for an audiophile maniac like me... and as Maruti has not come out with the parcel tray (acc rarely available till date).....how do i get that booming effect.

3. Also since the tray is small i doubt if i can attach a 10" or 12" sub-woofer..... So i guess need to go for a tube....Pls recommend a good one guyz

4. After extensive search i found the Soundstream Speakers quite interesting (The specs ofcourse)...Planning to go for 6.5" Xtreme Series 4 speakers and a 2 channel Amp. The speakers has output of 120 RMS each...Now thats kewl na

Now guys many questions have been asked and replies given but i still have not found a convincing solution...thats y i have asked this question....Please tell mw whether this is a good combination..... and the most imp answer i wud like is how is the sound quality from doors when compared with the speakers in the parcel tray....

Thanks in advance guys

Please dont disturb the setup of your car by adding a rear parcel tray and oval speakers. I have a Swift too and got a good set of Boss components for the front for 6k and JBL GTO 636E for 3.5k in the rear. The base bass is not ideal but than again even with ovals the bass is pathetic as you really have to turn the volume high and than things vibrate and its more noise than bass. If you really need bass than go for a woofer or a bass tube, which btw I am planning too. As with a bass tube or woofer you get bass even at low volume which is soothing to ears.

I am not sure which place are you looking at for a parcel tray, as in Delhi almost any third class car accesory shop has parcel tray for Swift, but as suggested below, please dont ruin the asthetics of the car. Now that I have speakers installed in the doors, I can tell you for sure that the rear passengers too can enjoy music without having their ears blasted with tray speakers right next to their ears.

JBL 12" bass tube can fit well. This is removable so you can remove this when you go for long trips with luggage. It is costing around 5k with bill. Else you can also go for a Sony 122 1200 W subwoofer with a box for 3.5 k. You will need a 4 channel amp for the woofer. The entry level Sony 4 channel amp will cost you 4.2k.

Strongly suggest against a 2 channel amp as this makes the music lopsided. If you have the rears into amps, the fronts become non existant, and with passengers sitting in the rear, it becomes a pain to increase the volume as the sound is mostly from rear and to listen to it, you have to make ppl sitting in the rear uncomfy. So I suggest a 4 channel amp. The two channels can go in the front and parallely connected with the rear. The other two can be used for the woofer.

Nice system, but if you really want display than consider Sony 7700 for 10k in gray market. Its worth the price tag.

Now since I answered most of your question, I guess I am an audio GURU now

Most Viewed