Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2005, 19:50   #241
BHPian

Sam is away from the comp for a bit i think, he had to trudge from Lamington orad to his house the other day, Just a nice 20 Km walk!!!
Old 28th July 2005, 22:28   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
Thanks Jacob. Am waiting for ALL expert advice!
Here is advise from a wanna be expert

Are you compelled to buy from MGA? If you are than the choice is fairly limited as MGA's dont offer any JBL, Alpine etc.

For the HU the choice is really simple, Sony 77xx in gray is for 10k and in MGA would cost you around 14k. Although I have Sony 88xx and Sony 5610 but my freind has the Sony 77xx in his car. Its a really decent set with all features of Sony 88xx apart from display and hydraulic motion tray. This set offers you Three 4 V pre outs. This is really useful as the more the Voltage going to the speakers, the better sound and the lesser noise. If you plan to buy from outside... than go for Alpine. Even a cheap Alpine sounds better than Sony high end models. However cheap Alpine wont give you 3 pre outs and display etc as a Sony. So lets settle for Sony 77xx.

Speakers: Well I don't suggest going in for Oval speakers at the rear. Even though they have good base but if you have small speakers in front and ovals at rear, the audio becomes unbalanced. The rear passengers are the worst effected with music blasting in their ears.

So I suggest go for Sony Components in the front. Even though they have no cross overs like JBL and ALpine, but I was really impressed by their sound quality. They come for 4.5 k with bill. They come in 5" and 6". I think Baleno will take the 5".

For the rear take any standard Co-axial speakers. Sony makes some decent co-axials for 1700:/- If want to go for non Sony than you can go for JBL GTO series 636 triaxials. They are decent. Nothing extraordinary.

Amplifier: An amplifier is a great thing to have even if you are not listening the music at higher volume. By having an amplifier you give a new life to your speakers. You can hear notes that you were not listening to before even at lower volumes. Since all audio signals travel using current, thus the more the current, the better the sound. Its a misconception that having an amplifier is only effective at higher volume. So get a decent Sony 4 channel amplifier for 4.2k. Use the first two channels in parallel connection to your front and rear speakers. And use the other two channels for a subwoofer.

Subwoofer/Bass Tube: If budget is not an issue go for a bass tube. Even when listening to music at a lower volume, the woofer and the bass tube provide a soothing bass to the ears. If you dont have a bass tube or a woofer than you would have to turn the volume up to get some bass, and this becomes really irritating to ears. Getting a bass tube or a woofer makes a real difference and you can enjoy bass at lower volumes. The treble and bass become in synch and balanced. The speakers of the car are not optimized for bass like a bass tube and woofer.
Between woofer and bass tube, I prefer bass tube. Woofers are good too, but its more like a sub woofer is a poor mans base tube. So based on your budget choose between them. There is a JBL bass tube for 5k which is really decent.

So here is the total budget:

Sony 77xx : 10k
Sony Components : 4.5k
Sony Rear 6": 2k
Sony Amplifier 4 channel: 4k
JBL Bass Tube: 5k

Total Budget: 25.5k

Budget by MGA 28k.... so left with 2.5 k.... Spend them on your girl freind at a date
Old 29th July 2005, 00:44   #243
Team-BHP Support

OFF TOPIC!!
Please grab a copy of this month's Autocar (Don't buy it) and check out the final cover page featuring the JBL advertisement where Sam Kapasi has a team-bhp URL linked...
Thanks Sam
Old 29th July 2005, 09:50   #244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
If you plan to buy from outside... than go for Alpine. Even a cheap Alpine sounds better than Sony high end models. However cheap Alpine wont give you 3 pre outs and display etc as a Sony. So lets settle for Sony 77xx.

So I suggest go for Sony Components in the front. They come for 4.5 k with bill. For the rear take any standard Co-axial speakers. Sony makes some decent co-axials for 1700:/- If want to go for non Sony than you can go for JBL GTO series 636 triaxials.

So get a decent Sony 4 channel amplifier for 4.2k. Use the first two channels in parallel connection to your front and rear speakers. And use the other two channels for a subwoofer.

Between woofer and bass tube, I prefer bass tube. Woofers are good too, but its more like a sub woofer is a poor mans base tube. So based on your budget choose between them. There is a JBL bass tube for 5k which is really decent.

So here is the total budget:
Sony 77xx : 10k
Sony Components : 4.5k
Sony Rear 6": 2k
Sony Amplifier 4 channel: 4k
JBL Bass Tube: 5k

Total Budget: 25.5k
Budget by MGA 28k.... so left with 2.5 k.... Spend them on your girl freind at a date
this is great advise aseem. thanks for helping out as both sam and i were rained out. i got home wed morn at 8:30am and we got power back only on thursday afternoon (santa cruz W).

I would recomend some nice RCA and power cables with that 2.5K leftover in the budget.

Since you are in tune with todays prices and availability what is the cheapest alpine with 3 pre outs (pref. 4V)?

Sam we gotta put Aseem's names on this title as well. He has come through more than once.
Old 29th July 2005, 13:20   #245
BHPian

Navin, Sam,
I made myself a battery eliminator 1.2V to 28V with a 3A transformer to power my Pioneer system at home. I used the LM338 TO-3 case. I had a 12-6-0-6-12 transformer lying about at home. The parts cost me Rs. 180. The regulator itself cost Rs. 90. But it gets a little hot with the present heatsink. I am going to add a small fan later. This PSU will be useful till I have completed my GTO936 box experiments. After the boxes are all done, my Alto will not be the same.
Old 29th July 2005, 13:29   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi!
I hope everyone's ok after the deluge. I had a terrible time as so did a lot of us. Thankfully left the lancer at work (high parking) and walked, (Save the car first, remember?). Unfortunately I have a serious family emergency (not related to the weather) so i will be out of comission for a coupla days. Navin's here, albeit a little busy getting things back online after the rain. Aseems here too, to help & Vivek. Seems we're making a nice little family here, on the MOST popular thread at team-bhp!
I'm going on an all-india tour from sunday,first stop blr. I'll be online on the 2nd august.
Aseem, you're maraoing my "take the girlfriend out with the remaining money" lines very good. heh heh.
Keep rocking boys and if anyone wants my help, it'll come on the 2nd.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 29th July 2005 at 13:33.
Old 29th July 2005, 13:29   #247
BHPian

Hey, I hope all you Mumbaiites are safe.
Old 29th July 2005, 14:16   #248
Team-BHP Support

Sam, let us know if we can do anything. Good to hear that you are ok, Sad to hear about the emegency.
Old 29th July 2005, 16:40   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
OFF TOPIC!!
Please grab a copy of this month's Autocar (Don't buy it) and check out the final cover page featuring the JBL advertisement where Sam Kapasi has a team-bhp URL linked...
Thanks Sam
Hey, you're welcome, anytime.

What do you mean grab it, dont buy it??
Old 29th July 2005, 17:09   #250
BHPian

Need ur advise pls

Hey guys,

Have been reading the valuable posts out here and want some advice on the car audio setup for my swift ..am from bangalore.

Am pretty much a home entertainment freak ( have a HK AVR5500 + some amps which disturb my neighbours every now and then).

Requirement:

I wud prefer to have gud audio tweaking controls so that i can control/set the music in the car to my taste. The basic thing is the music should be able to sound gud at low as well as high volumes without sounding bright.

So, What i need is gud set of speakers/ amplifiers/ wiring to ensure the same.

Budget: 30-32K ( a bit less but a couple of Ks more would not be an issue)

1) head Unit which can play MP3s: from the posts it looks like Sam and Navin have high ratings for Alpine as they dont sound bright like pioneer and sony. Can u pls tell me which alpine unit comes a decent price with decent controls. The grey market price say (10-12k) with 3 pre outs and how abt the service backup.

Does Nakamichi sound gud at low prices

Had read somewhere that the pioneers are ipod compliant..are other brands not compatible as i will bet getting one next year.

Aseem has gotten himself a sony 88XX and 77XX looks decent 2. I wud prefer the black 88XX which goes well with swift interiors though the display looks a bit jazzy to my taste.

2) Gud set of 6 inch components at the front and back
tell me 2 way or 3 way and one of my frnds suggested rockford!

All these are housed only in the doors right with none behind the rear seats rite! will the doors hold them properly without any vibrations when the speakers are on full blast.

3) 4 channel amp + base tube.

Is sony amp a decent one or which one would u suggest. I need soft and tight bass but base tubes may get boomy, since space is a constraint in SWIFT. suggest me a gud bass tube which sounds relatively tight and soft without bottoming out.

Appreciate ur valuable suggestions ( sam , navin, vivek, aseem anybody) with the price and models if u can provide.

Thanks
-Muni

Last edited by muni : 29th July 2005 at 17:14.
Old 29th July 2005, 17:13   #251
BHPian

Location of Elegant

Hi,

Can somebody tell me where exactly is Elegant located in Lajpat Nagar. I PMed Aseem, but he is off-line.

\N
Old 29th July 2005, 17:25   #252
Team-BHP Support

prices and models change so fast my 40+ year old senile brain cant keep track the young guns like asseem and sam can help out here.

Get an alpine with 3 pre outs and 4V pre outs. I think the 9847 or 9830 will suffice (I use the 9830 and 9833 and some older alpines). that will cost about 18-20K

for the speakers you could spend about 12K for 2 set of components. JBL, Alpine, Infinity are some you can consider and Aseem highly recommends a Sony set that comes with a crossover. When he logs on he'll fill in the details.

The Sony 504 amp is only mentioned because it is the cheapest amp here (last price I have seen is 4.2K thought i paid 5K for a friend some time abck).

I prefer active bass tubes as they supply a amp, cabinet and speaker in one unit. if you find the bass tube too boomy try putting an old sock ot 2 in the port. besides they are compact and light.

This will put your budget at close to 40K.
Old 29th July 2005, 22:30   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
prices and models change so fast my 40+ year old senile brain cant keep track the young guns like asseem and sam can help out here.

Get an alpine with 3 pre outs and 4V pre outs. I think the 9847 or 9830 will suffice (I use the 9830 and 9833 and some older alpines). that will cost about 18-20K

for the speakers you could spend about 12K for 2 set of components. JBL, Alpine, Infinity are some you can consider and Aseem highly recommends a Sony set that comes with a crossover. When he logs on he'll fill in the details.

The Sony 504 amp is only mentioned because it is the cheapest amp here (last price I have seen is 4.2K thought i paid 5K for a friend some time abck).

I prefer active bass tubes as they supply a amp, cabinet and speaker in one unit. if you find the bass tube too boomy try putting an old sock ot 2 in the port. besides they are compact and light.

This will put your budget at close to 40K.
Ok Muni, first things first. With the budget you have, you cant get everything to your liking.

Alpine HU's have the sweetest sound (IMHO), however a decent Alpine HU with 3 pre outs is for 18-20k. That itself will make things out of budget. Secondaly the Alpine HU for 20k, wont have the display or the features (at least on paper) to match the other rivals like Sony and Pioneer in the same price range.

Sony 88xx is brighter than Alpines, however its less bright compared to Pioneer 77xx and 6750. I wont recommend Pioneers as they are too bright and have three 2.2 V pre outs as opposed to Sony which has 3 4V pre outs. Another great feature of Sony 88XX is that it camoflages inside the Swift, and looks like an OE finish, as its black and blends with the interiors, the Sony HU's also have LPF and HPF setting which I find very useful. The display might be a lil bright, but you can set it so that it doesnt show the movies and just has a screen saver. It can also be set just to show the time and track information. The Sony 88XX comes at 13k in Gray and Sony 77xx comes at 10k. Pioneer 77xx comes at 10k too. Make a pic.

Components... I dont suggest components at front or back. If budget is an issue, go for components at front and co-axials at rear. Since you suggested you dont like bright sound, having tweeters in rare wont suite you. I have JBL components in my car, they are BRIGHT However they produce some amazing sounds that one cant hear otherwise.
Since brightness is an issue for you, I suggest you go for Sony Compoents for 4.5k or Alpine components for 7.5k. If budget is not an issue, and you want to go for the best. Than you can go for Infinity for 10.5k. No one can beat them.
If you have Swift, than go for JBL 636 in the rear. They cost around 3.5k. You can also go for a cheaper co-axial. As they are just being used as fillers to your components.

Amplifier... no brainer, go for Sony 4 channel amplifier that starts at 4.2k. Wiring will cost your around 600Rs. Make sure you parallel connect the front and the rear speakers to first two channels and use the other two for bass tube.

Bass Tube... JBL makes an awesome bass tube but it only comes in 12". Since space is a problem in Swift, you might not want to go for that. I am planning to go for it though, making sure the installation is such, so that I can remove it on long journeys where I need to get some luggage. The base tube will come for 5k for JBL.
There are some Blankpunkt bass tubes for 4k that are 8". Make a pic. I prefer the JBL.

HU: Sony 88XX: 13000
Front Compos: Alpine: 8000
Rear JBL Coaxials: 3500
Sony 4ch Amp: 4200
JBL 12" Bass Tube: 5000

Negotiate the wiring for free.

Total Cost: 33700....

Total Budget 35k... left with 1300 Rs. Go for a date with your girlfreind.

There are somethings money can buy.... for the remaining money, there is GirlFreind!!!

Elegant Motors is located in Lajpat Nagar on the main road after Jangpura Flyover. If you are coming from India gate, after the Jangpura flyover, go straight, Elegant Motors will be on your left before the Lajpat Nagar flyover.
Please dont go to their salesmen, go directly to the owner, his name is Sachin. Tell him you are freind of Sam and he will be considerate.
Old 30th July 2005, 10:04   #254
BHPian

Muni, go to www.tmc-electronics.com. They stock Alpine, Blau and Nakamichi. The prices are also given. So you can work it out. 30K is a good budget and you should be able to get a good system. I think Alpine would be a good choice for the HU. I would have bought it if I had the money. Components for the front and ovals for the rear. But there, make sure the boxes for the rears are made well and strong with internal lining. You can add a sub later if you need more bass.
Old 30th July 2005, 10:24   #255
Team-BHP Support

there seems to be a formula in this....for budgets above 30K.
1/3 rd for HU
1/3 for speakers
1/3 for bass tube and amp.
for budgets less than 20K....
1/2 for HU
1/2 for speakers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks