Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2005, 16:28   #361
lancer_mania

i was not in town last week so was unable to do anything.but now im finally going to buy it.

head unit is either going to be jvc/pioneer/sony.for front speakers i had decided upon pioneer 1610.but some people suggested that i go in for jbl so please specify model no.

simialrly for rear speakers had thought of the pioneer 6990 but have been told to go in for jbl gto series so please specify model no.

this setup is for a zen main criteria is that it should have good bass and shouldnt crack

and budget is 12000.

please help.

Old 5th August 2005, 16:46   #362
BHPian

Hey Sam,

Need a help buddy. I saw this sexy looking JBL active bass tube @ http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/1306.html. Is it available in India. And if yes, what's the price?

\N
Old 5th August 2005, 17:29   #363
Team-BHP Support

lancer, see what Sony HU you can get for about 6K. then spend about 3.5-4K for the front and 2-2.5K for the rear. Sony has quite a few models. Sam can help with JBL recom.
Old 5th August 2005, 21:06   #364
lancer_mania

thank you navin sam waiting for your reply and plz if possible specify model no. for front and rear speakers.

Old 6th August 2005, 08:14   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Steeroid!! (Love the name)

Your decks ok, so's your changer. If you just bought those speakers, use them anyways. You didnt mention the size of the speakers.
My suggestion is that you get another nicer pair, preferable components (5.25" for the front) and put the sony's in the rear.
You could run these speakers off the head unit and get an active sub, but what would really be fun, is to get a decent 4ch amplifier, parallel connect the front and rear speakers to 2channels of the amplfier, and use the remaining 2 channels bridged into a 12" subwoofer in a box. You could either make a nice box, or buy a boxed subwoofer. Also see post #216 in this thread for selection of subs

Happy listening!
Thanks Sam. Now the big question - where do I mount the subwoofer? There's plenty of space in the Safari, but the one thing I do not want to do is to clutter up the loading area, which is good enough to roll out a mattress and sleep in if we tip the rear seats down and over.

Is it possible to mount a subwoofer on the roof???? It might sound a bit incongruous, but then I havent had a s/w in any of my cars yet hence the question...basically I want a s/woofer but I dont want it to take up space on the floor.

Also Navin - the Sonys I bought recently were 6 1/2 inch or 16 cms 3-way affairs. The sound's quite nice, but then I'm no expert in that Dept.
Old 6th August 2005, 09:37   #366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Thanks Sam. Now the big question - where do I mount the subwoofer? Is it possible to mount a subwoofer on the roof????- the Sonys I bought recently were 6 1/2 inch or 16 cms 3-way affairs. The sound's quite nice, but then I'm no expert in that Dept.
1. No I have not yet seen a subwoofer mounted on the roof. Maybe Sam, Aseem or Vivek have. Nothing is impossible but it owuld require serious bodywork to the rook to make room for a subwoofer.
something like this...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Cf5L0L0...g=178650&avf=N
or
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Cf5L0L0...g=178750&avf=N
or
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Cf5L0L0...50&I=044QB2124
or
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Cf5L0L0...0&I=044T1012SS

2. If I were you I would make a box the width of the safari's back. This box would take about 8-10" of the depth of the Safari and run the width of the car behind the rear seat.

3. If you like the Sonys keep them. Please remember 3 rules (these are not guidelines).
a) they are your ears, your music, your car
b) it is your money
c) any advise you get is coloured by the expereinces of others
Old 6th August 2005, 09:46   #367
BHPian

A sub on the roof. You must be joking.
Old 6th August 2005, 09:47   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
2. If I were you I would make a box the width of the safari's back. This box would take about 8-10" of the depth of the Safari and run the width of the car behind the rear seat.
Sounds good. Let me check it out - the only issue there would be when the rear seats have to be folded down and up. The S/W may end up crushed behidn the front seats then..
Old 6th August 2005, 09:51   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
A sub on the roof. You must be joking.
Well, there's plenty of vertical space, so I thought - why not? I do not want to lose floor space.
Old 6th August 2005, 10:02   #370
Team-BHP Support

maybe you can make you sub movable. that is when you are folding the rear seats down the sub moves and sits up against the front seats (if they are still in their regular position).

A tapered box (see options 4 of the 4 links above) might be best suited for your needs.
Old 7th August 2005, 11:35   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hey guys,

Just a question about components - I seem to remember reading about someone saying that there are component speakers available without XOs (and im assuming they are 2way + ), how is this possible? and if it is, then how is this different from a coaxial?

Hope i havent misread this somewhere!

cya
R

Just got back from Darjeeling!!!!
Hi Rehaan,

The only cheapskates making compos without crossovers are sony
Well, actually there is a little crossover, just a capacitor. That sony component isnt really a component speaker, its actually a coaxial speaker with the parts taken apart. Literally.
The end result is that the midrange, is actually playing in full range and the capacitor just prevents the low frequencies from coming out of the tweeter. There's no crossover point, no seamless transition nothing. Just the mental satisfaction of having a removable tweeter. I'd advise against that set.

Cheers
Old 7th August 2005, 11:38   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer
Hey Sam,

Need a help buddy. I saw this sexy looking JBL active bass tube @ http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/1306.html. Is it available in India. And if yes, what's the price?

\N
Oh yes the btx 250 is available. The price earlier used to be 22500 now its about 14000/-
Let me warn you it looks hot and it's active, but somehow..... I didnt quite like the sound. I'd much rather put a passive tube with an external amp.
Old 7th August 2005, 11:42   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_mania
head unit is either going to be jvc/pioneer/sony.for front speakers i had decided upon pioneer 1610.but some people suggested that i go in for jbl so please specify model no.

simialrly for rear speakers had thought of the pioneer 6990 but have been told to go in for jbl gto series so please specify model no.

this setup is for a zen main criteria is that it should have good bass and shouldnt crack

and budget is 12000.

please help.
Hi LM!!
If i had to choose between a poi, sony and JVC, it would be any sony HU.
For the Zen, factory fitment JBL GTO426e, MRP 2500 including VAT. If you want to upsize, you could fit a GTO526e MRP 3250 incl VAT, but you would have to lose the original door grill.
For the rear, you would use a GTO936e, MRP 4750 incl VAT.
Alternatively you could use the CS series, cheaper and not bad sounding too.

Enjoy!!
Old 7th August 2005, 11:46   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

ARREY!! I just saw the thread name changed again! Good show Moddies!
Where's Fusseem ya... Havent seen any of his posts for a while. Still checking out kannada girls in Viveks homeland i see. Pretending to install some PBX lol.
Old 7th August 2005, 12:49   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
ARREY!! I just saw the thread name changed again! Good show Moddies!
Where's Fusseem ya... Havent seen any of his posts for a while. Still checking out kannada girls in Viveks homeland i see. Pretending to install some PBX lol.
Installing PBX in IBM on Sunday too not fun. Prefer my 9 to 5 in Delhi a lot more (no offense to bangloreans/0.

Finally saw Sam acknowledging that the 250 bass tube from JBL doesnt sound nice. For the first time Sam on the record admitted that JBL product doesnt sound nice

This brings us back to the JBL components being too bright topic When are you posting to fix the compos???

Most Viewed