Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2006, 10:40   #4561
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
. JBL compos are a bit harsh in this lot. But will be great for rock, hiphop, live music etc..
)
lol no, that's a bit harsh though. JBL designtheir speakers to sound like forward, live sound. Most find this exciting and dynamic, some find it a tad bright. I wouldn't say they are "harsh" though. That I leave for Pioneer TS20

It depends on the ear of the besounder though. Every man sees and hears things differently. What appeals to one may not to another. Like the grand old man of audio always says "Use your ears"
Old 20th October 2006, 11:03   #4562
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Like the grand old man of audio always says "Use your ears"
...and what's between them".

BTW I do find JBL forward too but I wont call them harsh. I read this before Sam did and figured it was just the wrong choice of words by Zak. In fact I find most speakers forward incl. big brands like B&W (home audio) and I realise that my hearing preferences are not normal.

The reason I think is becuase I used to listen for many hours at a time and anything that is even a triffle forward or edgy can get irritating after 12 hour listening sessions.

It also depends on the Install. I remember some time back Gunbir and JB both heard an install in Mumbai that was quite forward (not harsh) and we could not fault the speakers.

Last edited by navin : 20th October 2006 at 11:16.
Old 20th October 2006, 12:25   #4563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I recommend you listen to the pioneer and the earthquake before you decide. I would not waste my time with that Sony.
Boohooo Another disadvantage of entering the ICE forum late, My installaer was giving me a pioneer & I insisted on the Sony :(

Although I prefer Pioneer anyday over the Sony the reason I went for Sony was that it was with B\W & the pio sub he was giving was 10" while Sony I was getting was 12"
Old 20th October 2006, 13:01   #4564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
the pio sub he was giving was 10" while Sony I was getting was 12"
a) subs dont blow that often.
b) it aint in the inches... (Sam get your mind out of the gutter).

BTW Pio has 12" (Free air and Closed box) too.
Old 20th October 2006, 13:14   #4565
Senior - BHPian

Yes Navin Ji But I didnt knew this then na :|

Besides he only had 10" Pio in stock with him
Old 20th October 2006, 15:08   #4566

Hi Shaz and Navin,

Thanks for your replies. However can you help me choose between the three options? The fourth option is:

SONY CDX-GT450S (Flip Down 7 Colours LCD Display) + JBL Speakers in the the front and back.

Can you let me know if this will be better?

Shaz...one info. Flair does NOT come with Factory Fitted HU. I need to go in for one.

thanks,
Raman [ saijayam is my ID :-) ]
Old 20th October 2006, 15:55   #4567
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saijayam
Hi Shaz and Navin,

Thanks for your replies. However can you help me choose between the three options? The fourth option is:

SONY CDX-GT450S (Flip Down 7 Colours LCD Display) + JBL Speakers in the the front and back.
between the options you have i'd consider the Alpine+JBL option first but not without giving the Sony and Blaupunkt a listen.
Old 20th October 2006, 17:22   #4568
Senior - BHPian

thanx sam... yea ill listen to all 3 subs before i make my decission. and one last thing will the sony 552 be able to power one of these properly ?

Rev
Old 20th October 2006, 20:08   #4569
Distinguished - BHPian

Well Rev, the 552 will power the sub yes. Properly.... not quite. It will do the job, but will be less than required.
Old 20th October 2006, 20:17   #4570
Team-BHP Support

hello folks,

As you all remember i was looking for ICE for my friends Viva. I had finalised for the following:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/304267-post4511.html

Quote:
Pioneer HU 8850
JBL GTO607 front compos
JBL GTO507 rear deck compos
JBL CS60.4 4 channel amp
Now for good bass i had decided on the JBL Bass tube as well as monoblock amp.

Now i was just thinking if it would be possible to connect 2 channels of the CS60.4 amp to the bass tube and the other 2 channels to the front components (GTO607).

The rear compos(GTO507) would be powered by the HU.

Will this affect the sound and shift the soundstage to the front?

I was just thinking of this cause i was a little apprehensive of going in for a second amp and complicating the setup too much.

Also, Navin ji i noticed the Vivas rear deck isnt that big its actually just a fraction bigger than the acccent's.
The only thing i guess is it wont be removable once I put an MDF deck. do you think the JBL GTO937's can be considered in that case.
Any other issues there may be with the notch back?
Old 20th October 2006, 20:52   #4571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
hello folks,

Now i was just thinking if it would be possible to connect 2 channels of the CS60.4 amp to the bass tube and the other 2 channels to the front components (GTO607).

The rear compos(GTO507) would be powered by the HU.

Will this affect the sound and shift the soundstage to the front?
VID, shifting the soundstage to the front is a good thing. This is what we always try to get done.

If you power the front comps and the bass tube with the 4 channel amp, that should get the system to sound quite good, as the HU will take care of the rear-fill adequately. The rear comps will not sound as good as they should, if they are powered by the HU. But the rear-fill they provide will be quite good enough. In fact, if your friend has not bought the rear comps, he can maybe think of buying co-axials for the rear and save some money and installation hassle. And, this way (the uhhh... co-axial way), he will be able to use the stock speaker locations anyway, without any mods to the parcel tray and without additional tweeter installation.

The only negative I can think of, is that the bass tube may not perform as well (as it would with a monoblock powering it) if you feed it with 2 channels (bridged, of course) of the 4-channel amp. It will definitely perform better with a dedicated monoblock amp (with output matched to the sub). But, if your friend would like to keep the budget reasonable/low, there is nothing wrong with the setup you've mentioned. He can always add a monoblock amp later, and power the rear speakers with the 2 channels that get freed up (when the sub gets powered by the monoblock).

Last edited by hydrashok : 20th October 2006 at 21:05.
Old 20th October 2006, 21:46   #4572
Senior - BHPian

ok thanx a lot sam.its jus that im on a really tight budget so i dont really have an option.

Rev
Old 20th October 2006, 23:35   #4573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
Now for good bass i had decided on the JBL Bass tube as well as monoblock amp.

vid6639,

You can get a monoblock and JBL basstube or 12'' sub in custom made enclosure.

You can bridge 2 channels for the sub but if budget permits then go for another Monoblock Class D Amp.

If u havent installed Comps In rear then go for co-axials, with co-axials you will save 2K.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 20th October 2006, 23:48   #4574
Team-BHP Support

Mugen_power,

I was thinkin about using the 4channel amp itself for the time being and later adding the monoblock.

I havent bought any of the stuff yet. Still finalising.

By coaxials do you mean the GTO527 (5.25")? I cant go for anything more than these as this is the max size which can go into the Viva's speaker pod in the back.
Old 21st October 2006, 01:29   #4575
Senior - BHPian

Vid,

If u want to add another amp later you can.
GTO427 is 4'' Coaxials so GTO527 May be 5'' Coaxials.
For more details about JBL PM Sam Kapasi.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks