Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2007, 18:12   #5281
NIP
Senior - BHPian

sh@rpshooter...you can check out my gallery on ICE for Scorpio. I think the scorpio is hard to ICE too, but it can be done effectively. you need a darn good installer with neurons upstairs ! lol
Old 5th February 2007, 18:54   #5282
Senior - BHPian

Need a New Music System

Hi,

Im new to Team BHP and this is my third post. I own a Swift Vxi and have the following installed in my car: -

Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-P7750MP
Components (F) - JBL - GTO 606Ce
Components (R) - JBL - GTO 606Ce
6X9 (R) - JBL - GTO 936e
Amp 4 channel - JBL - GTO 75.4
Amp Monoblock - JBL - GTO 301.1
Bass Tube - Infinity - RF 1200 (Reference Series)

My components are installed in the doors as per the space provided in the Swift, the 6X9 are on a parcel shelf made of MDF plywood. The components and the 6X9 are connected to the 4-way amp and the bass tube to the monoblock.

Now ive been told that i have too many speakers in my car and have been advised to either remove the rear components or 6X9s. When i had initially installed the system, i had only installed components in the front & rear, but the bass was drowning the vocals and treble so i decided to then install the 6X9s which improved the sound dramatically, but somehow or the other i am still not happy with the setup and believe i can get better than this. I have also set the bass in the speakers to nil as it starts to jar at high volume.

I have spoken to Mr. Deepak Asrani of Polk Audio who used to write for Overdrive in the audio section. He has advised me to first remove either the rear 6X9s or the rear components and check the setup of the amps and if still not satisfied, to change only the speakers to Polk Audio.

I am confused. Somebody please help. Really need a rocking sounding system. Kindly advise the right setup for the Swift too.

Regards,

Epic
Old 5th February 2007, 20:06   #5283
Team-BHP Support

Epic thats the right advice you got. Since you already have a bass tube the 6X9 is not needed.

Also, you have a 4 channel amp. You have six speakers. which 4 is the amp driving.

It should be driving the front components and the rear components.

Disconnect the 6X9 completely, power the front and rear compos with the GTO75.4.

Adjust the sound accordingly.

You have a good setup just needs some fine tuning.

Also you say the speakers jar check the installation in that case. but do this only at the end after trying the above options first.
Old 5th February 2007, 20:17   #5284
Senior - BHPian

epic; overkill overkill!!!!

dump the 6x9!

why do you feel the 6x9 helped improve the sound?

hows the lpf/hpf set?
Old 5th February 2007, 22:29   #5285
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

Thanks vid6639 and jkdas for the advice. Im still confused though. Why are you guys insisting i dump the 6X9s. As i said before, when i initially installed the system i only had the components in the front and rear but the vocals and treble were drowned by the bass. Besides, the provision for the speakers are situated in the lower part of the door. Don't you think that the sound from the components will be muffled when the car is packed?

I think i got better sound with the 6X9s for this reason only, as the speakers were now on top at ear level, or so i believe. Yes the possibility of improper installation of the components in the doors could be a reason for the jarring as i don't think the speakers are packed well and there could be some gaps. Will check that out.

jkdas. Don't know the lpf/hpf settings are, but i believe they are set to 'flat'. What should the setting be? I know that the HPF on the head unit is 'off'.

The gain on the 75.4 is set to 'full' as i like the system to sound o fill the car even at the lowest volume. Could this also be an issue? I listen to alot of hip-hop and rap and like the treble and vocals to be heard and the bass to be tight.

Kindly advise.

Epic
Old 6th February 2007, 00:23   #5286
Distinguished - BHPian

Epic, you have too much equipment and it needs to be checked by a professional. Flat is incorrect. You need 2 pairs of speakers to run at HPF and the subwoofer to run at LPF. You have some good equipment. Changing your speakers to any brand wont help because..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
The gain on the 75.4 is set to 'full'
And that, is a No No. Mate, take your system to a pro installer/tuner. I don't think you will be able to do it.
Old 6th February 2007, 00:41   #5287
Senior - BHPian

whats the difference between the Blaunpankt PA 275 and the Blaunpankt GTA or GTX 275.im not very sure about the model no.is there any amp like that ? whats the diff in specs and also has any one used the latter ? how is it compared to the PA 275 (keeping in mind this amp is for my 12 inch JBL Bass Tube.

Rev
Old 6th February 2007, 09:51   #5288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post
and yes..i can not think of using cellphone cameras too... nothing other than the whole works does it for me
My prime is a Sigma. A similar Nikkor (28/1.4) is 3 times as expensive. So far I am using fullframe zooms (28-105 and 70-300 ED) that used to work on my N80 but hope to upgrade to APS zooms when the money allows besides the Sigma 18-50 has sample to sample variations and the nikon 18-70 is slow. After using fast primes I have realised the advantages now anything slower than f/2.8 is ignored.
Old 6th February 2007, 09:56   #5289
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sam,

So you say that the setup is wrong and that i should go to a professional installer? Would you believe if i tell you that my system was installed and setup by JBL engineers themselves? I purchased the whole system from a JBL store and i was under the impression that they are experts, but i guess i am wrong. Either ways, Mr. Deepak Asrani has advised me to meet Mr. Ajay Kamat, who is an expert in sound installation. Do you know him? So let's see, let me go to him and then take itfrom there.

Hi revtech,

I was using a Blaupunkt GTA 400 in my Maruti 800. It was a 4-channel amp and believe me it totally rocked!!! I regret selling it off. Dont know about the GTX but i believe the GTAs are top of the line. So i think any GTA series amp will do the job.

Epic
Old 6th February 2007, 10:14   #5290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-P7750MP
Components (F) - JBL - GTO 606Ce
Components (R) - JBL - GTO 606Ce
6X9 (R) - JBL - GTO 936e
Amp 4 channel - JBL - GTO 75.4
Amp Monoblock - JBL - GTO 301.1
Bass Tube - Infinity - RF 1200 (Reference Series)

The components and the 6X9 are connected to the 4-way amp and the bass tube to the monoblock.

...i had only installed components in the front & rear, but the bass was drowning the vocals and treble so i decided to then install the 6X9s which improved the sound dramatically...

...to change only the speakers to Polk Audio....
a) 6 speakers connected to a 4 ch. amp? Now I am confused funnily I have seen someone else do this as well. the components were connected in parallel to the front channels and the 6x9 to the rear. have you done this as well? Do what the Gurus above have suggested.

b) the big advantage a 6x9 has over a 6" is that a 6x9 has the surface area of about a 8" woofer which is about 1.5 times that of a 6" woofer hence a 6x9 can puch 1.5 times more air and produce more bass. Now I cant understand how you balanced out a bass heavy system (components only) by adding a pair of 6x9s. I suspect that maybe your components were not connected properly.

c) following from (b) above since you have a 12" subwoofer (which has a surface area of about 2 8" or 6x9 woofers) there is no need for the 6x9. The 12" will perform bass duties adequately.

d) gains of all amps should be set to about 50-70% of full. there are atleast 2 reasons to do this. (i) You get more control in the front (ii) most gain pots are most linear over the central part of their range they are not accurate over the extremes so it best not to use them this way.

e) Deepak sells Polk speakers. If you represnted Polk would you not advise everyone to dump their current speakers and get Polk? I would! Now Polk is a fine brand (notwithstanding the tall man in the white lab coat) but given your setup I think you can do better by tuning your current equipment than by changing buying newer components.

f) Lastly when tuning your system (no matter what music you listen to) start here
LPF for sub: 80Hz, HPF for front and rear speakers 80Hz. All EQ setting should be flat. Now first tune your front components then bring in the bass and lastly bring in the rear components.

P.S
g) Where are the component tweeters mounted? A Pillar, Door, or Dash?
Old 6th February 2007, 10:17   #5291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Either ways, Mr. Deepak Asrani has advised me to meet Mr. Ajay Kamat
Yeah, you might know him too. He is a tall gentleman with an easy smile and a Black Tata Sierra to die for! :-) LOL
Old 6th February 2007, 11:00   #5292
Team-BHP Support

Epic we are all confused as to how you have connected the 6 speakers to the 4 channel amp.

Can you clarify that?
Old 6th February 2007, 11:10   #5293
BANNED

Epic! No matter where and how it was installed, it cannot be called an ideal setup.

Can you please make it clear whose idea was to add the 6X9s to your previous setup?

As requested by many, please explain how the speakers are connected.
Old 6th February 2007, 11:37   #5294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Yeah, you might know him too. He is a tall gentleman with an easy smile and a Black Tata Sierra to die for! :-) LOL

I think he nearly died when he took delivery of the "new" & "improved" seirra.
Old 6th February 2007, 11:52   #5295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Epic we are all confused as to how you have connected the 6 speakers to the 4 channel amp.
I am not confused. I've seen crazier things done before and done crazier things in my day but I supect that Epic needs to clean up his install before upgrading components.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks