Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 17:47   #11371
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusarrarr View Post
my audiophile friend suggests getting a HU, a small slim amp and 2 component speakers with tweets, he says all of this should cost 10k which is about what my budget is , would this be good ? iif yes could you guys suggest brands n models , if not an alternate setup ?
Can WagonR front doors accommodate 6" speakers? If so than go for 6" components for front doors and mount the tweeters on stock location at dashboard (if newer models come with that) or you can put tweeters on A-Pillars. You can get decent components for 5-6K, but choose after hearing various components at the shop.

For the HU I would recommend you to get a HU with Mosfet sound IC, few Kenwoods come with that and sound output is good. You can choose Kenwood 349 or similar comes around 6K.

I am running a Kenwood 546BTU with four components in my car without any distortion and never felt requirement for the AMP, it produces enough sound output for me.

Edit : Don't go for coaxials, you may feel them nice even when hearing at the shop but they don't sound good in car. Shopkeeper can recommend you those and those come at nearly half the price of their component sibling.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 19th January 2012 at 17:55.
Old 19th January 2012, 17:53   #11372
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

is this the HU suggested ? KDC-U546BT | 1DIN Receivers | Car Electroics | Kenwood
if yes , a BT HU for 6k id get this blind, can use my phones too as well then. idea is the tweets on the A pillars
Old 19th January 2012, 17:58   #11373
BHPian

Here is what you should be ready to spend for a good system:-

1) HU: Pioneer- Good system with USB and Aux connectivity- 5-6 K
2) Front Components: 4-5 K
3) Rear 6X9- Pioneer: 4-5 k.

Even though you are not a audiophile, this setup without being very costly (15K max) will give you decent sound and chance to really enjoy your music. I have recommended Pioneer because in my initial days that's what I trusted and enjoyed. You can go for any other good ones like JBL, JVC, Kenwood. My personal advice will be to avoid Sony.
Old 19th January 2012, 20:42   #11374
BHPian

Thanks to all for their suggestions, like i earlier mentioned budget was 10k max i could push to 12-13

@tbppjpr
is this the HU u suggested ?
KDC-U349R | 1DIN Receivers | Car Electroics | Kenwood
seems decent n to my needs , i got lil carried away seeing thats the HU u own and not the one u recommended.

@JoyB
Thanks for your suggestion but its out of my budget.

As of now the good HU and good 2 component spkrs setup appeals to me. 6k each and shud fit in perfect. do we have model #s on the 6" components ? ill mostly put the tweets on the A pillar facing the front 2 seats respectively.

Most component speakers of Kenwood are listed here.
http://india.kenwood.com/products/ca...ers/index.html

Last edited by cletusarrarr : 19th January 2012 at 20:48.
Old 19th January 2012, 21:21   #11375
BHPian

How is this configuration for XUV500?

Front Speakers - Components - Focal Polygrass 165VB or PS 165
Rear Speakers - Stock (Scope for Future Upgrade)
Amp - Focal Solid 4
Subwoofer - Either Kenwood KSC-SW10 or Steelmate 826 -> Going Under the Seat
Old 19th January 2012, 21:56   #11376
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to all for their suggestions, like i earlier mentioned budget was 10k max i could push to 12-13

@tbppjpr
is this the HU u suggested ?
KDC-U349R | 1DIN Receivers | Car Electroics | Kenwood
seems decent n to my needs , i got lil carried away seeing thats the HU u own and not the one u recommended.
Yeah, I suggested 349. I got BTU546 @10K with bill/warranty but one of my friend bought the same 546 HU for 6.5K without bill and warranty.

I also have Kicker components which I bought @6.5K for rear doors, those are also decent sounding speaker but got to know that many fake Kickers are also available in the market so stay away until you are not sure about your shopkeeper.

JBL have some good range of components at budget prices. Infinity is their premium brand which costs above 9K for decent sounding pairs. JBL are safe bet as those are popular and easily available at most places.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 19th January 2012 at 22:07.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 08:17   #11377
BHPian

don't mind without bill warranty if I get it for the mentioned price. as it seems feature rich and ill thoroughly test it before buying. any models on the component speakers? I believe 6.5" should be accommodated in the front. I would stick to popular good brands. still lookjng for recommendations there.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:11   #11378
BHPian

How about these JBL components ?
JBL GT6-S266C & JBL GTO-609C
India JBL
I believe the JBL GTO-609C comes with an additional woofer ? the MRP seems fitting to my budget, street price should be lower i suppose

So a combo of either of the above mentioned Kenwood HU and one of the above should go well ? Seems fitting to my budget.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:33   #11379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I believe the JBL GTO-609C comes with an additional woofer ? ...
So a combo of either of the above mentioned Kenwood HU and one of the above should go well ? Seems fitting to my budget.
All 2-way components, and the 609C is the same, come as a set of mid-bass, tweeter, and cross-over. The box would contain 2 woofers, 2 tweeters and 2 cross overs, one set each for each door.

Please don't mount the tweeters on the A-pillar facing the seats. That is really not a preferred location unless done by someone who knows the effects of directional properties of the tweeters. A badly mounted arrangement will be really harsh/bright on the ears. Better mount it where the ORVM positioning lever is located.

For your constrained budget, Kenwood HU and JBL components in front would be ideal. But, do make it a point to listen to the speakers in a car before you buy. Infinity Reference components would be a good alternative, as would Auditor, Morel, etc.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:44   #11380
BHPian

@ DerAlte,

thanks for the suggestions, the 609c seems good , since this will be a CNG waggie, where could i mount the woofers should i go for these? would adding them to the rear doors make sense ?

Also regarding mounting the tweeters, isnt the ORM lever mark the beginning of the A pillar ? probably marking a circle around where it sshould go would help, interrior pics of wagon r here
ORVM positioning lever - Google Search

Also i havent heard of these other brands you mentioned ( excuse me, like i mentioned mim not an audiophile) just looking for something well made n lasting , couldnt mention that more. As long as the sound is loud n clear, thats all that really matters tbh appreciate all the replies that help me in deciding.
Old 20th January 2012, 13:14   #11381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... isnt the ORM lever mark the beginning of the A pillar ? ...
i havent heard of these other brands you mentioned ( excuse me, like i mentioned mim not an audiophile) ...
1. No, the 'ORVM' location is that triangular glass area just inside the ORVM. In the case of Wagon-R, the ORVM is actually mounted the door - in others it is mounted in that triangular area.

And, the A-pillar base is further front from this area - about 6" in front. The difference is - if mounted on the A-pillar, the tweeters will be firing more directly into your ears OR half of it will be getting reflected off the glass windscreen. Neither is good. At the ORVM location, it is more side on (off-axis) which gives a more balanced listening. Some installers even mount it near the top of the door (on the door pad).

2. Please don't be intimidated by brand names. If you listen to more brands & models, you will automatically find the difference (one need not be an audiophile for that) between them. Some of them will be pleasant, some not so - different people have different tastes. If you audition them, you will most likely get what your ears like, and that is what matters. It is better to audition and like what you bought, rather than be disappointed by buying without listening and then being stuck with what you bought
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 13:24   #11382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. No, the 'ORVM' location is that triangular glass area just inside the ORVM. In the case of Wagon-R, the ORVM is actually mounted the door - in others it is mounted in that triangular area.

And, the A-pillar base is further front from this area - about 6" in front. The difference is - if mounted on the A-pillar, the tweeters will be firing more directly into your ears OR half of it will be getting reflected off the glass windscreen. Neither is good. At the ORVM location, it is more side on (off-axis) which gives a more balanced listening. Some installers even mount it near the top of the door (on the door pad).

2. Please don't be intimidated by brand names. If you listen to more brands & models, you will automatically find the difference (one need not be an audiophile for that) between them. Some of them will be pleasant, some not so - different people have different tastes. If you audition them, you will most likely get what your ears like, and that is what matters. It is better to audition and like what you bought, rather than be disappointed by buying without listening and then being stuck with what you bought
Makes sense. Still id like to understand my choices that fit my budget, from what i can research online, based on brands you suggested, these were the results i could obtain. any views on these n which model perhaps ?
RIP 130S, 2 way coaxial car audio speakers
Morel Loudspeakers - Mobile Audio - 2 Way Component Systems -

also checked on infiniti, i believe they are by Harman, same as JBL ? not too sure. Thanks for the patience in putting up with my queries.
Old 20th January 2012, 14:28   #11383
BHPian

Quote:
Also regarding mounting the tweeters, isnt the ORM lever mark the beginning of the A pillar ? probably marking a circle around where it sshould go would help, interrior pics of wagon r here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

I am attaching image of tweeter mounting in my my car, tweeter is fixed by cutting holes at bottom of A-Pillar.

@DerAlte - What do you say about this location? For image testing I listen Pink-Floyd and my whole setup performs really great, gives me the effects which I want with great stereo septation. My concern is with few Bollywood songs when image seems like at rear or sometimes just behind the upper head.

Is there something to do with these settings (Quoting my earlier query)-
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I have a one question regarding "SP SELECT" function in the headunit.

I have Kenwood 546BTU headunit in my car with 6.5" infintiy components at front and 6" kicker components at rear doors stock position. Now there is a function in the headunit called "SP SELECT" (Speaker Select). We can choose appropriate speaker setup in this function when we are in stand-by mode, options are :
SP OFF
SP 5/4
SP 6*9/6
SP OEM

I want to know that is this really a useful function or just a gimmick. If this really affects the sound quality then what is best suited setting for various speakers without AMP and SUB. I've tried various settings but didn't find any difference in sound quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-407182_2884494999783_1482368269_32962917_1991472779_n.jpg  

Old 20th January 2012, 14:45   #11384
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st January 2012 at 02:06. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
cletusarrarr is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th January 2012, 15:43   #11385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Makes sense. Still id like to understand my choices that fit my budget, from what i can research online, ...
There is a famous expression "Go out and smell the coffee" - an experience you won't get if you are only searching on the 'net.

You have a good idea of models now - you only need to go to shops and find out the street prices. Apart from the JBL 609C, look for the following - all are in the 5-6K range on the street:
1. Infinity Reference
2. Auditor (they have only 1, IIRC)
3. Morel Maximo
4. Polk dB
Ask for audition. Any shop refusing audition is not worth buying from, but take their price at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
... What do you say about this location? For image testing I listen Pink-Floyd and my whole setup performs really great, gives me the effects which I want with great stereo septation. My concern is with few Bollywood songs when image seems like at rear or sometimes just behind the upper head. ...
Well, since you have the adjustment lever of the ORVM jutting in, your choice of location would be limited to the A-pillar. Since you are angling the tweeters in, it may not be too bad - unless the tweeters are bright! If they are bright, you should carry Anacin / Saridon with you.

* "effects" - what effects are you getting? One normally expects to hear what was recorded as is - unadulterated

* If you say "upper" head, the image must be high, which is just fine (no fun if the music appears from below dash). But, if it appears behind the driver's seat, the rear components seems to have more influence on the image (under those circumstances). Try angling the rear tweeters further back if you can. Without having amp, you really can't do much in tuning front and back - other than playing with Fader (setting it to front slightly)

* The SP setting is only setting a Bandpass filter appropriately so that the speakers get only what they can handle. For example, the 6x9 setting will allow more bass, but that setting if actually connected to a 5-1/4 speaker will only make the speaker distort at high volume at low frequencies
One can *perhaps* make out the difference, but one has to be sure what one is looking for

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks