Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2013, 15:58   #12001
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
Hii BHPians !
A small issue !
I recently upgraded my audio system.. Setup is as follows:
HU : Pioneer 3150 UB
Speakers: Front: JBL CS 4 (4" Coaxial)
Speakers Rear: Pioneer A394 (6x9)

Upgraded with:
AMP: Blaupunkt 4 channel : Gma 455 I guess with bills n warranty
Sub: Pioneer 12" bass tube with bills n warranty
Wiring: OOPS , A substandard BOSS. It's not good as it costed me just 1000 bucks.

Overall soundquality is good except the soundstage thing.

I am sick of cars catching fires so frequently nowadays. It even worried me to an extent that i almost sold my amp and sub.

I also have horns and 100/90 bulbs with relays.
I want no fire hazard, is it safe to keep on using the cheap wiring ? And what to do in the case of short? How can i prevent it?

Admins kindly move it to the appropriate thread as required.

Thanks
BOSS wiring kits may not give you the same audio signal as say a Scosche, but as long as the installation is done professionally, I don't see why it should be a fire hazard.

Just make sure that there are no loose/stray ends, all the wires are properly insulated, proper grounding done wherever required and correct rating fuses installed at appropriate locations. If all these are fine, then there wouldn't be a problem.
Old 27th February 2013, 17:07   #12002
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

I went ahead and upgraded my Figo's OEM system with Infinity 6530 CS components in front, powerred by Sony's 2 channel amp, which got its input feed via high-level (speaker level) input.

First i thought of going with a Four channel amp, to drive the front components and adding a Sub. Since it occupies the boot, i went ahead for two channel amp (fixed under the front passenger seat) ofcourse without sub.

Now, Im not really satisfy with the output, the bass is not very tight and overall it is just louder if i increase the volume.

It costed me ~7.5k for Components + Wiring + Installation.
Amp, i used the one lying at home stripped down from my previous setup.

I didn't went for damping, I heared damping help to improve the sound but will it be helpful here in my case?
Old 2nd March 2013, 10:35   #12003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
... Now, Im not really satisfy with the output, the bass is not very tight and overall it is just louder if i increase the volume. ... I heared damping help to improve the sound but will it be helpful here in my case?
You heared it correctly - it is helpful in all cases. Damping reduces road noise intruding via the door panels, and this noise is actually masking out the frequencies which you are able to hear only when you increase volume.

What exactly do you mean by saying 'bass is not very tight' in your system?
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:04   #12004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilsoft View Post
Hi guys,

I have an Sx4. Today I got alphine MRX-65, and a rockford sub R1s412 installed. 2 channels amp connected to front components (polk) and the rest bridged to the sub. Rears are left to the head unit as it is. But I realise that rears lack the clarity. So I want to go for a monoblock connedted to the sub and use those channels to the rear ovals.

Please suggest me a class d matching amp for R1S412.
Some one please answer my question
Old 3rd March 2013, 03:04   #12005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, first try shifting the fader slightly to the front. Try 5 fader points at a time and see if you like it. It should help greatly.

If it doesn't work, you can go the 2-channel/mono way. Get a mono if you have a DVC (Dual voice coil). Normally, you can't extract the full power out of a mono with a SVC 4-ohm sub.
Old 3rd March 2013, 07:56   #12006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Well, first try shifting the fader slightly to the front. Try 5 fader points at a time and see if you like it. It should help greatly.

If it doesn't work, you can go the 2-channel/mono way. Get a mono if you have a DVC (Dual voice coil). Normally, you can't extract the full power out of a mono with a SVC 4-ohm sub.
Thanks nitrous for the response. I tried fading. To match both front and back to the same volumen, I had to shift almost towards the backside, when front almost looses its identity. Somehow the overal tonal quality didn't match. I feel that I need to go for an amp.

I have 3 options:

1) Go for a suitable amp for SVC sub and keep the gain as less as possible (This is suggested by a audio installer). I found one model Rockford 250-1 monoblock, that almost matches with this sub.

2) Install a 2 channel amp to match sub's rms.

3) Go for a DVC and a monoblock

Please suggest me which would be best. I know 3rd one would be ideal , but I already invested some money on sub so need a solution accordingly.
Old 3rd March 2013, 11:47   #12007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
... I tried fading . To match both front and back to the same volumen, I had to shift almost towards the backside, when front almost looses its identity. Somehow the overal tonal quality didn't match. I feel that I need to go for an amp. ...
Sounds like your system was not tuned at all after adding amp and sub. With ovals AND a sub, your music is bound to be bass-heavy unless tuned well. Also, ovals are usually more sensitive (sound louder for the same power) than components or round coaxes.

You can do it yourself if you have a companion who can help you in the process.

1. Set both front and sub gain to 0 at the amp. Also set Fader and any other tone controls that you might have set to 0. Play some music (CD or USB) that you are very familiar with

2. First, bring up the HU volume till you can hear well sitting in the rear seat - comfortable volume

3. Then, bring up the gain for the front channels (don't touch sub gain yet, nor HU volume) till in the front seat you hear comfortably. At this point, front should be just louder than the rear, and to hear the rear from the front you would have to bend your head into the rear area

4. Check if the raising and lowering volume at HU the ratio stays the same between front and rear. If not, raise HU volume slightly, then front gain slightly lower / higher till you achieve proportionality

5. Now raise the sub gain till the sub just kicks in. At this point, in the front seat the absence of the sub will be felt (by reducing gain) more than the presence of the sub. Again, raise and lower HU volume to check proportionality

Last edited by DerAlte : 3rd March 2013 at 11:49.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 10:31   #12008
BHPian

Hii
I am using the following setup:

Front: 4" JBL Non Amplified
Rear: 6x9s HPF 150 KHZ + (Amplified)
Blaupunkt EMA 455 4 Chnnel amp

Sub: Pioneer 12" Bass Tube

Performance is satisfactory except the sound stage.

If i connect the amp to 4" fronts and use HPF , will it bring a considerable difference?
Please consider that the stock location in esteem in front is : Downward facing, below dashboard

Thanks

Last edited by sudeep11787 : 5th March 2013 at 10:32. Reason: missed out on a spec
Old 5th March 2013, 11:56   #12009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
... stock location in esteem in front is : Downward facing, below dashboard ...
Don't fret - that has nothing to do with the sound stage. This is non-intuitive, but the sound stage is a resultant of direct and reflected sound waves. Done right, the same setup can produce a high (like image near the ceiling) stage with voices coming from near the windscreen.

Your system is currently rear (and bass) heavy and cannot be tuned properly. Yes, amplifying the fronts will correct this - since you can tune it properly.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 08:29   #12010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Your system is currently rear (and bass) heavy and cannot be tuned properly. Yes, amplifying the fronts will correct this - since you can tune it properly.
Thank you Sir ! Got my front coaxial connected to amp, ovals directly to HU and sub to amp (Rear preout). Soundstage is decent with very neutral sound quality.

BTW the guy installed a small thing behind HU having two preouts. He said these are to convert HU to 4 channel out.
What exactly was it? Costed some 400 bucks. Looked a bit similar to noise suppressor i used in a friend's car.
Old 8th March 2013, 09:19   #12011
BHPian

Hi All,

I have a Blaupunkt GTA 470 SF amp which will power Morel Tempo 6' as the front stage and a RF P1S4-8 sub in bridged mode. HU in question is an Alpine 9886.

Thing is the amp has a variable knob for LPF (50Hz - 250Hz) whereas HPF can only be activated with a switch which is fixed at 80Hz.

On the other hand the HU has HPF settings at Off - 80Hz - 120Hz - 160Hz. And no LPF settings, just some Subwoofer centre frequencies and levels (0-15) to play with.

My question is that can I use the LPF xover on the amp and the HPF xover on the HU? Or is it a case of using only one source (i.e. either HU or amp).

Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 14:14   #12012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
... is it a case of using only one source (i.e. either HU or amp). ...
Keep things simple - do the filtering at one place. Preferably amp - the 80Hz HPF is meant for components, the LPF is for the Sub.
Old 16th March 2013, 12:45   #12013
BHPian

Finally sold my pioneer sub !
I started hating the bass heavy sound. Now my 4 coaxials run directly from a nice 4-channel blaupunkt amp with all the settings at default, And i love it !
The sound is just heaven, Tight, warm and soothing to ears ! I am in love with the mids, drums, guitars sound exactly the way they should. Just a friendly advice to all the ICE amateurs like me : Don't go for a amp+sub setup blindly ! It may sound good for half an hour or so, but for that fatigue free ultimate listening experience, invest in mids ! Components, coaxials, ovals whatever the budget permits, just amplify them, set everything to default and enjoy ! And even if you go for a sub, just buy a sealed one and tune it just enough to just feel rather than hear it. And NO TWEETERS EVER !

Thanks !

Last edited by sudeep11787 : 16th March 2013 at 12:47.
sudeep11787 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 13:39   #12014

Hello People,

Thanks to all the advice given here - I got a Hertz ESK165 powered directly from my JVC HU (for the Polo). I love the sound. Thanks to all the discussion about sub woofers in this thread now extremely tempted to get one.

Since I quite like Hertz and a complete noob, the shops in and around Koramangala recommended that I get 4 Channel Amplifier (from Hertz which is about 11k!!!) and the sub (again Hertz) and a sealed enclosure also from the same [pretty much everyone tried to push Cerwin Wega before I could even get the quote for a Hertz setup! Shop keepers seem to really love the brand! ]

The total damages are coming close to 20k For that price point is this a good combination or is there anything else that you guys would recommend. I just want clear sound over the entire frequency range.

Thanks guys
Ashwin
Old 19th March 2013, 00:26   #12015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkashwin
Hello People,

Thanks to all the advice given here - I got a Hertz ESK165 powered directly from my JVC HU (for the Polo). I love the sound. Thanks to all the discussion about sub woofers in this thread now extremely tempted to get one.

Since I quite like Hertz and a complete noob, the shops in and around Koramangala recommended that I get 4 Channel Amplifier (from Hertz which is about 11k!!!) and the sub (again Hertz) and a sealed enclosure also from the same [pretty much everyone tried to push Cerwin Wega before I could even get the quote for a Hertz setup! Shop keepers seem to really love the brand! ]

The total damages are coming close to 20k For that price point is this a good combination or is there anything else that you guys would recommend. I just want clear sound over the entire frequency range.

Thanks guys
Ashwin
I am not at all a good ears, but just for budget friendly advice, you can even try JBL GTX 1150 sub with either Sony or JBL amp. buy 2 or 4 channels depending on your set up needs.

I got JBL sub + JBL 2 channel amp for little under 7000 (excluding fitting & wiring)

IMO, JBL sounds pretty enough punchy in a sealed box.
offroad_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed