Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2013, 18:58   #12031
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
First you have to decide whether you need a components or co axials in doors
Thanks. Need a setup that does not need any other external hardware (like a amplifier) except the speakers. So best speaker make/cost needed that fit into the OE slots of the speakers without spoiling the OE setup but sound much better. Vento specific advice would be most helpful.
Old 16th April 2013, 19:02   #12032
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
... what speaker upgrade could be performed to improve sound but without disturbing the OE RCD 320 Music system ...
Quote:
... For components to sound to their full potential , amp will be needed ...
Components work to their potential even without an amp. With an external amp, you are able to go louder without distortion. Internal amps have their limitations w.r.t. how loud they can go without distorting, and for normal listening even that can be really loud.

Round coaxes in doors (or oval coaxes on parcel shelf) will do fine working off the HU.

@dkaile, do make sure you listen to whichever brand / model of speakers a dealer is offering - so that you are sure you like it or dislike it with your own ears.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 19:11   #12033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Round coaxes in doors (or oval coaxes on parcel shelf) will do fine working off the HU.

@dkaile, do make sure you listen to whichever brand / model of speakers a dealer is offering - so that you are sure you like it or dislike it with your own ears.
Thanks. As OE setup is required the speakers will go into the door I presume. I know I need to trust my ears but a header into a few brands and the model nos. of these coaxials would be most helpful.
Old 16th April 2013, 19:25   #12034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. As OE setup is required the speakers will go into the door I presume. I know I need to trust my ears but a header into a few brands and the model nos. of these coaxials would be most helpful.
1. Yes, OE slots - 6.5" size I think

2. COMPONENTS in front, coaxes at the back

3. JBL GT5 or 6 (don't remember exactly), Infinity Ref / Primus, Bull, Morel Maximo, Polk db (not Momo), etc. - components would cost ~6K, even though there are higher ranges too (~10K onwards). There are other brands which have starting range ~10K onwards, which are not necessarily better than the ones which cost less - you should be able to figure it out yourself when listening
Old 16th April 2013, 20:09   #12035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. JBL GT5 or 6 (don't remember exactly)
How would these be GT6-S366, 260W, 6.5", 3 Way, 5000/- per pair - http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/in/pro...larProductOnly

Can these be installed in all 4 doors?
Old 16th April 2013, 20:27   #12036
BHPian

Hello dkaile

Dont go for JBL as there lower range are bright in terms of sound . Check out the infinity range or alpine sps range they sound way much better then JBL in terms of SQ ( sound quality ) . Alpine and infinity both will cost you around 5000 per pair . I would advice you to for 6 1/2 co axials in all four doors as they can power easily from HU , but not with the case for components .
Infinity co axial model no : Infinity Ref6532i
alpine co axial model no : SPS-610
Right now in market you will get infinity primus instead of infinity which are fine but not good as infinity . So i would advice you to check out the alpine ones , they are equal to infinity .
Quote:
How would these be GT6-S366, 260W, 6.5", 3 Way, 5000/- per pair - http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/in/pro...larProductOnly

Can these be installed in all 4 doors?
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 21:30   #12037
BHPian

Re-posting my query here.

1. Your Car: VW Polo 1.6

2. Your current setup (If any): Stock

3. Your Budget: 25K (approx)

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffeur driven? Self driven

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): mainly 70'-80's rock, lots of unplugged, (eg. pink floyd, dire straits, david grey, coldplay, cranberries etc.) occasionally new boom boom music (i don't know what its called.. rap??) eg. usher, akon etc. types (don't judge me !)

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Nope

Please treat me like a noob because that's what i am. After 2 years i am officially tired of the limited connectivity of the stock cd only system. My requirements for a new HU are:

- must be 2 din as close to stock as possible.
- do not need video
- must be upgrade friendly (able to carry over to next car and add amp, subwoofer etc.)
- must have bluetooth and audio streaming
- must have front usb and aux in.
- cd player not necessary but hardly any receivers come without them

keeping the above in mind i have narrowed down the choice to:
- JVC KW-R900BT
- Kenwood DPX500BT

So far i am leaning towards the Kenwood purely because it looks more OEM. I am looking for valuable suggestions from u guys regarding pro's and con's, far as i can see both receivers are pretty evenly matched.

Speakers - Looking for some good quality components up front and co-axials in the rear. Budget approx 6-10K for the components. Coaxial depends on how much of a difference they make to the sound quality. Suggestions are welcome.

All of the above equipment (including HU) must be transferable to my next car which will be in the next 2-3 yrs time (looking forward to the new Octavia vrs.. maybe! )

Not looking for an amp or subwoofer currently (which is why the HU output is so important to me). I will only consider an amp if it can fit under the seat and how much bang for my buck i get out of it. Out of curiosity, can i fit a subwoofer under the seat?

Ok, sorry for boring u guys with the details but eagerly looking forward to your inputs! Thanks in advance gurus!
Old 17th April 2013, 07:50   #12038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankazoid!!! View Post
Re-posting my query here.

keeping the above in mind i have narrowed down the choice to:
- JVC KW-R900BT
- Kenwood DPX500BT

!
Hello Frankazoid

JVC has just launched the new series of touchscreen players in india last week . The new touchscreen players have a new feature call applink which work out with all android devices . JUst install the applink app on android , connect the phone and you can control the whole player from the phone . There are special gestures incorporated into applink app through which one can swipe to pause , play , forward , next song etc . JVC touchscreen players has detachable touchscreen front panels as well , so one can remove during the night or when giving the car for the service . I have checked the JVC website , there is no listing till now but you can check them on international website of JVC . These players have all feature like 3 pre outs , iphone support , 24 bit dac and as on .

Last edited by Safari_Beast : 17th April 2013 at 07:51. Reason: adding
Old 17th April 2013, 11:35   #12039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... There are special gestures incorporated into applink app through which one can swipe to pause , play , forward , next song etc . ...
Sounds cool! Must see what the 'gestures' are. Heh heh it shouldn't happen that the driver entertains the people outside, looking as if he is trying to shoo away mosquitoes or bees with the cellphone.
Old 17th April 2013, 11:42   #12040
BHPian

Quote:
Components work to their potential even without an amp. With an external amp, you are able to go louder without distortion. Internal amps have their limitations w.r.t. how loud they can go without distorting, and for normal listening even that can be really loud.
Going by this statement, that should mean components would work fine without any need for an amp. Then why are components used with an amp more often than not? Comps running off the HU is not something we observe usually.

Kindly provide some clarification on this.
Old 17th April 2013, 11:59   #12041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post

Going by this statement, that should mean components would work fine without any need for an amp. Then why are components used with an amp more often than not? Comps running off the HU is not something we observe usually.

Kindly provide some clarification on this.
You can definitely use them without the amp but i don't think its worth buying the components over coaxials if they would be running off the HU.

IMO to get the best out of them, you definitely need an amp, and believe me an amp makes a lot of difference, worth it.

Last edited by k2max6 : 17th April 2013 at 12:02.
Old 17th April 2013, 12:30   #12042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
... that should mean components would work fine without any need for an amp. ...
The internal amp of an HU is also an 'amp', but I think you mean 'without an external amp'. Yes, they will play just fine - as long as you are listening in moderation.

The difference between the small 14-18W rms/channel internal amps and the >=40W rms/channel of external amps is the ability to put out power without distorting.

- With an internal amp, the output starts distorting once you reach 60-70% of the volume control range - not difficult to make out what that distortion sounds like. This is the INTERNAL AMP distorting - the components would just be faithfully reproducing what was given to them

- With an external amp, this distortion point occurs at >90% of the volume control range, which one seldom exercises

- If the components are rated >= the amp Wrms/channel, distortion will be evident even with the external amp

- If the components are rated < the amp Wrms/channel, AND the volume control level drives the speakers to limits (even if it is not reaching the amp capability level), it is the components which will start producing distortion of their own. This distortion sounds different from Amp distortion

- The MAIN reason why external amps make the music sound better is actually the ability - at any volume control setting - to pump out power as the music passage playing at that time demands. Power needs of music content varies. Obviously Ravi Shankar or Hariprasad Chaurasia playing Alaap will require far less power than the crescendo of a Philharmonic Orchestra, or the loud bass drone of electronic bass in hip-hop, or sustained thrashing in metal. Keeping the volume control at 40%, if the amp is unable to play those passages without distorting - you are hearing noise, not music. Or not hearing some part of the music because the power sent to the speakers is insufficient

- "Playing to their potential" is a nice poetic expression that doesn't really convey any information. Neither is any parameter quantified, nor can the "potential" be described in real terms. Components are not supposed to add any stuff of their own to the music, nor is there a need to play music at an unnatural loudness level. Music is supposed to sound as if you are wherever the original music was played.
The issue is of sensitivity (how much power is required to produce a certain loudness level, or vice-versa) of the components - and that varies with frequency. If the sensitivity is poor, one would require higher power to be pumped into the components (usually the mid-bass only; HF has low power content) to be able to listen to the same music in the same way as another, more sensitive, component.
However, the listener (ears are measuring loudness level) usually sets the volume level to a comfortable point - and that is an overlap area between internal and external amps. If one wants to listen louder than that (personal choice), an external amp does a better job.

Many users, who accord greater priority to budget constraint than listening to music as it is meant to be heard, reconcile themselves to the internal amp. It is their logic and choice, nothing right or wrong about it.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 14:53   #12043
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Frankazoid

JVC has just launched the new series of touchscreen players in india last week . The new touchscreen players have a new feature call applink which work out with all android devices . JUst install the applink app on android , connect the phone and you can control the whole player from the phone . There are special gestures incorporated into applink app through which one can swipe to pause , play , forward , next song etc . JVC touchscreen players has detachable touchscreen front panels as well , so one can remove during the night or when giving the car for the service . I have checked the JVC website , there is no listing till now but you can check them on international website of JVC . These players have all feature like 3 pre outs , iphone support , 24 bit dac and as on .
Thanks for your reply safari beast,

Both JVC and Kenwood models i have mentioned in my post have the android control app which is free to download. While this feature is good to have i wouldnt say that it is a deciding factor for me. I am still leaning towards the kenwood so far.

Anyways what do you guys think about installing an amp and subwoofer below the front seats? Is it feasible?
Old 17th April 2013, 15:00   #12044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankazoid!!! View Post

Thanks for your reply safari beast,

Both JVC and Kenwood models i have mentioned in my post have the android control app which is free to download. While this feature is good to have i wouldnt say that it is a deciding factor for me. I am still leaning towards the kenwood so far.

Anyways what do you guys think about installing an amp and subwoofer below the front seats? Is it feasible?
Pioneer and kenwood dont have detachable touchscreen face plate , install the amps in the back. Reason for installing in the boot is that there is risk of getting damage by water. And there will be mess of wires under seat if its installed there.
Old 17th April 2013, 15:00   #12045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
You can definitely use them without the amp but i don't think its worth buying the components over coaxials if they would be running off the HU.

IMO to get the best out of them, you definitely need an amp, and believe me an amp makes a lot of difference, worth it.
I purchased a set of components in September last year and have been playing them off the HU ever since. The HU puts out around 18-20W RMS, I am not sure. They were playing sufficiently well although I was always sure they would be much better than an amp.

Yesterday I put in a 4ch JBL amp to power them (and the sub) and trust me, the difference was noticeable the moment I switched the system on. After tuning the system properly (following the excellent directions given on this thread by DerAlte [THANKS!!] ), it only got better. So I know perfectly well what you are talking about and I can vouch for that.

Quote:
The internal amp of an HU is also an 'amp', but I think you mean 'without an external amp'.
Yes I meant exactly that.

My question was based completely on your previous statement. The clarification you have given here is well detailed and comprehensive. The amount of fidelity an external amp adds to the comps (owing to their higher sensitivity) is quite prominent, and IMHO unlike what you said, noticeable not only at higher than normal volumes, but at comfortable levels as well. This would probably be due to the fact you mentioned that an external amp has much better capability to put out constant power as compared to that of an HU and in the process delivers better detail and lesser distortion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks