Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 09:18   #12061
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Just want to upgrade the front speakers of
Change in plans

What? : ICE for XUV 5OO.

Why? ?? Something like Watching movie in sathyam and local theatre.....I like the experience of watching it in Sathyam

Location? : Chennai

Budget ?: 50K (All inclusive)

Brand Preference? : None , its a GREY grey area for me.

i listen to? : Tamil Melodies....listening to movie dialogue (video through iPad)

Sound preference?

Are you ready to buy used products? : Yes provided they are worth it and new ones are out of my budget.

Can you stretch your budget? : No

Do you need audition of speakers ? : No

Expected Installation Date?: May 1, 2013

Short listed Products ?: Awaiting for inputs

PS: ICE experience with my previous car Fiesta is very good (got is at set for 70k in 2011) which is the itch for an upgrade

PS-1: Would like to retain the OE HU

PS-2:

a. An installer suggested either to go with a budget in the region of 80k or just put a component at front for Rs.5-7k and stop at it. He added with the stock HU, you cannot get the value for the spending ranging between 10-80k. Is that true? If that is the case, I don't mind with just simple upgrade (entry level front components)

b. With already tons of niggles XUV5OO, any special care to be taken during the installations
Old 25th April 2013, 09:50   #12062
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

I am looking for an AVN (integrated Audio, Video and Navigation) for my Innova Vx 2011 model. The new Innova comes with such an integrated system. I am not sure in Toyota sells this separately for the older models.

I am also looking at integrating this with a reverse camera preferably a bluetooth one just not mess with too much of cabling.

Please suggest a good OEM replacement. I think keeping the steering wheel controls will definitely be a preferred option.

I checked with Toyota dealer, he came with up a price of about 49K for this kind of setup, not sure if this is the same as the one that is fitted in the new Innova. My opinion is that this price is high. Need suggestions from the gurus here.
Old 25th April 2013, 10:58   #12063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr View Post
I am looking for an AVN (integrated Audio, Video and Navigation) for my Innova Vx 2011 model. The new Innova comes with such an integrated system. I am not sure in Toyota sells this separately for the older models. ...
* Yes, Toyota will sell you the unit as a spare too. The price is likely to be a shocker - that's how spares prices go

* The price of a 2DIN Kenwood or Pioneer *with* navigation is likely to be 35-40K (The higher price is due to Navigation)

* All these units support Bluetooth and Rear View Camera, and can be adapted to the steering wheel controls.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 11:58   #12064
BHPian

This question might be a bit OT,

Is Volkswagen still voiding warranties due to ICE installation done from outside?
(Mostly concerned with speakers and amp)
Old 27th April 2013, 11:01   #12065
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
This question might be a bit OT,

Is Volkswagen still voiding warranties due to ICE installation done from outside?
(Mostly concerned with speakers and amp)
If no cables are cut (only sockets used) then I see no reason for any car manufcturer to void the warranty for a change in speakers. An amplifer if installed properly also should not be the cause for a void warranty.

For that matter a car manufacturer can state that your warranty is void becuase you changed the brand and type of air filter (like installing a K&N for instance) or even engine oil (from natural to synthetic). Car manufacturers know that many of us like to customise our cars. As long as the after market audio component has not shorted or caused any electrical problem in the car I see no reason for any manufacturer to void a warranty.

I believe there is an Act in the US (google "auto warranties for 3rd party components") that covers this. I would expect all countries to have something similar in effect.

If that does not solve your problem ask the dealer to give it to you in writing that installation of new speakers or the proper installation of an amplifier (they will then have to define waht they consdier to be "proper") will void the warranty.

I had a Skoda Octavia (VW sister company) for 8 years and it had an after market audio system that involved a few amplifiers. Autobahn never once told me that my warranty is void. Same with Honda (Arya Honda) or Toyota (Shinrai).

By that token changing the tyres to tyres with with a wider section or sidewall aspect ratio would cause a change in stress on the suspension and hence also void the warranty on your car. Ask your VW dealer about this.

Last edited by navin : 27th April 2013 at 11:13.
Old 27th April 2013, 12:35   #12066
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
* Yes, Toyota will sell you the unit as a spare too. The price is likely to be a shocker - that's how spares prices go
The Tata Aria Pride Built In Infotainment Unit (HU) (Including SatNav) is priced at about 45K. (Excluding the display and the Steering mounted controls which are a separate price Item)
The reverse Camera (which I had to get replaced once in warranty) cost Rs. 12500. (It was though a very solit unit about 4 times the wt of other units priced about 3-4K but still.

Would expect most owners of the Older Fortuner to replace the HU with the OEM newer one if they have already not taken an aftermarket upgrade.
Old 27th April 2013, 13:24   #12067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

If no cables are cut (only sockets used) then I see no reason for any car manufcturer to void the warranty for a change in speakers. An amplifer if installed properly also should not be the cause for a void warranty.

For that matter a car manufacturer can state that your warranty is void becuase you changed the brand and type of air filter (like installing a K&N for instance) or even engine oil (from natural to synthetic). Car manufacturers know that many of us like to customise our cars. As long as the after market audio component has not shorted or caused any electrical problem in the car I see no reason for any manufacturer to void a warranty.

By that token changing the tyres to tyres with with a wider section or sidewall aspect ratio would cause a change in stress on the suspension and hence also void the warranty on your car. Ask your VW dealer about this.
I will ask the dealer and get it I writing, about tyres as well as ICE.

I'm more worried now than ever before about VW because I'm contemplating buying a Polo GT TSI which has the DQ200 gearbox. And I can't have it failing on me and not have warranty.

Honda has never worried me in that regard as long as no wires are cut.
Old 29th April 2013, 16:59   #12068
BHPian

Gurus: I had installed Infinity oval speakers installed in my car around 6 months back. In the last 3 - 4 days I have started noticing a peculiarly irritating sound coming from one of the speakers. Upon close inspection I didn't see any physical damage. However when I pressed my hand lightly on the cone the noise simply disappeared.

I have no idea what has caused this and am unable to find a solution for it. Audio Gurus please help me out with a possible solution for this. The sound is irritating enough to make me reduce my Bass to Zilch!

Thanks in Advance.
Old 29th April 2013, 18:04   #12069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
... The sound is irritating enough to make me reduce my Bass to Zilch!
1. Remove the grill and check if there is a tear in the rubber surround. Hope there isn't

2. Remove the offending speaker, and have the magnet inside / voice coil area cleaned with (low power) compressed air
Old 1st May 2013, 16:24   #12070
BHPian

I am currently using a Rockford Fosgate Punch Series 12" 150W RMS 4 ohm sub. Model: P112S4. Link

I have been offered an Infinity Reference 1262 Subwoofer DVC 300W RMS, 1 month old, for a very good price. However, the seller is from another state, hence cannot audition it.

I understand that good audio is a matter of perception. However, I would like it if someone can provide their views regarding this. How different will this sub be from my existing one? My criteria is basically tight and accurate bass. The RF does not quite provide that. It is slightly too boomy and heavy for my taste.

Any inputs will be helpful. Thanks!!
Old 1st May 2013, 16:39   #12071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I am currently using a Rockford Fosgate Punch Series 12" ... basically tight and accurate bass. The RF does not quite provide that. It is slightly too boomy and heavy for my taste. ...
First see what changing the box volume does - you wouldn't have gone by the datasheet. Try putting in a few bricks (IIRC each brick will reduce volume by 0.07cft) - say 6 to start with. At some point, you will see bass tightening.

Don't buy a sub without first listening to it.
Old 2nd May 2013, 00:55   #12072
BHPian

Will the JBL GTX646 4 channel amp work well with 8 ohm load? The manual only mentions:
  • 70W on 4 ohm
  • 100W on 2 ohm

But the reason I am asking is because there are some posts on the internet mentioning this amp putting out 140W on 8 ohm impedance. They also mention that this amp is unstable in 2 ohm bridged mode.

Opinions?
Old 2nd May 2013, 04:03   #12073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will the JBL GTX646 4 channel amp work well with 8 ohm load? The manual only mentions:
  • 70W on 4 ohm
  • 100W on 2 ohm

But the reason I am asking is because there are some posts on the internet mentioning this amp putting out 140W on 8 ohm impedance. They also mention that this amp is unstable in 2 ohm bridged mode.

Opinions?
1. It will be stable, but also put out less than 70W at 8 ohm.
2. Yes, it won't handle a 2-ohm bridged mode.

Hence, if you're bridging channels, 4-ohms is good.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:53   #12074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... But the reason I am asking is because there are some posts on the internet mentioning this amp putting out 140W on 8 ohm impedance. They also mention that this amp is unstable in 2 ohm bridged mode. ...
* Yes, 2ohms load in bridge mode means 1 ohms per amp channel - very few amps are capable of 1 ohm load

* You seem to have a dual 4ohms (DVC) sub. Better connect each VC to a channel of the 646 amp - same as series connecting VC to bridged channels
Old 3rd May 2013, 00:24   #12075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
* Yes, 2ohms load in bridge mode means 1 ohms per amp channel - very few amps are capable of 1 ohm load

* You seem to have a dual 4ohms (DVC) sub. Better connect each VC to a channel of the 646 amp - same as series connecting VC to bridged channels
Yes it's a dvc 4 ohm.. So parallel means 2 ohm load which means the amp goes unstable. Thanks for the idea of connecting each VC to a channel. Does that effectively mean 70W RMS to each voice coil? In very amateur words, is it somehow analogous to running two 4 ohm amps, one on each channel of the amp?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks