Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:08   #12076
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
... Does that effectively mean 70W RMS to each voice coil? In very amateur words, is it somehow analogous to running two 4 ohm amps, one on each channel of the amp?
Yes, 70W rms each channel max. You will actually be pushing a bit less, depending on what type of music you play.

This is analogous to running two 4 ohm speakers, one on each channel of the amp.
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:01   #12077
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
two 4 ohm speakers,
Yes yes!! That is what I meant. Posting in a sleep deprived state is never a good idea.

From the SQ point of view, what improvement does this give over an SVC bridged over those 2 channels?
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:09   #12078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
... From the SQ point of view, what improvement does this give over an SVC bridged over those 2 channels?
None whatsoever - ultimately both coils are hard-coupled to the same cone, right?
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:16   #12079
BHPian

Quote:
None whatsoever - ultimately both coils are hard-coupled to the same cone, right?
Then apart from the flexibility it offers (specially in case of multiple subs), what is the advantage of a DVC over an SVC?
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:31   #12080
Senior - BHPian

Flexibility to use the lower impedance of a paralleled VC arrangement with an appropriate amp. In your case, you could use very common 2ohms capable Mono amps. I use a 4ohms DVC in 2ohms parallel arrangement with the sub channel of a 5-channel amp.
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:56   #12081
BHPian

Quote:
I use a 4ohms DVC in 2ohms parallel arrangement with the sub channel of a 5-channel amp.
That upgrade is in the pipeline. Hence I will probably make do with this arrangement for now till budget permits a better configuration.
Old 4th May 2013, 02:09   #12082
BHPian

I went to VW showroom today to get a TD of the Polo GT. A fun car to drive

I asked the sales rep straight out about the warranty woes, and he said just don't cut the wires, any wire, thus get it done from a reputed installer.
I did ask him for this in writing but he wasn't willing.

VW seems to be my only choice for a new car ATM, and I am unsure even if wires or not cut will they void warranty.

How should I proceed?
Old 4th May 2013, 20:56   #12083
BHPian

What? : ICE for Chevrolet Aveo, basically components and amplifier. I got the HU installed at Driven in December at that time BBW was offering 25% discount across all products. At that time I had recently purchased the car and thought would upgrade to better speakers later which I now regret everyday during my Delhi - Gurgaon drive

At that time Subhan advised me to go for

Rainbow Sound Line C6.2 Rs 18990.00 MRP(25% Discount was ON)
Digital Design C4C Rs 13990.00 MRP (25% Discount was ON)
Digital Design CM600 Rs 12750.00 after discount
Sub woofer I forgot which he mentioned

Why? ?? I already have Pioneer 2590BT but running on stock speakers which don't sound so nice at higher volume

Now again BBW is offering 25% on one product each month and this month it is Rainbow Experience Line EL-C6.2 6.5" (Rs 11990 MRP) is now for Rs 8990.00

I have heard it's entry level and can work without amplifier as well, but I would not want to later upgrade to something I just wants the right set at one go

Location? : Delhi

Budget ?: 30K Components, Amplifier, Damping, water-guards.

Brand Preference? : Any brand would do as long as they sound awesome

i listen to? : Bollywood, English Pop, Rap anything everything youngsters listen to today

Sound preference? SQ, SQ & SQ

Are you ready to buy used products? : No

Can you stretch your budget? : No

Do you need audition of speakers ? : Yes it would help

Expected Installation Date?: ASAP

Short listed Products ?: none as of now but I will source a couple of kick-ass Kicker woofers from a friend

P.S. recently Motor Concept did an install on a Grey i10 which I liked you can view it on their Facebook page
Rainbow Sound Line C6.2, Digital Design C4C, Damping, wateguards I called them up and they said it would cost Rs 40K

Please advise
Old 5th May 2013, 20:51   #12084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
... offering 25% discount across all products. ...
* The usual street pricing is 15% off on MRP, at least - depending on brand/model, so 25% should be viewed in a completely different way: is the product worth it? You shouldn't land up buying something that was not justified in the first place - price notwithstanding

* You wouldn't know whether it is worth it or not - till you actually hear it yourself with music that *you* are familiar with. Do you catch something new that you were not hearing earlier? Does something in the sound signature irritate you? And most of all: does this sound better than ANOTHER comparable model / brand of speakers?

* The "another comparable model" aspect should make you listen to what others are offering, or what else is available in the dealer's stock. You are the one who is paying the money - you should get a product with YOUR logic, not what the dealer is pushing. It will be a tremendous coincidence if the two match - usually they don't

* You will be surprised how many competing products, passed of as 'sub-standard' by a dealer intent on pushing what he wants to sell, sound far better to your ears!

As a buyer, you have a role to play - don't miss out on that, since you will be the loser.
Old 5th May 2013, 21:40   #12085
BHPian

This is for my friend.

Car : Swift Vxi
Current Setup : None
Music : Bollywood, Punjabi, Pop .. Basically all sorts.
Budget: 45k all inclusive
Installation Date: Most Probably 7th May 2013

HU : kenwood 8016bt ( any other recommended?) - 17k
Front components : Infinity,Focal, Rainbow etc. 8-10k
Rear fills : Coaxials 5-8k

Sub : JBL, RF, Focal as the budget would permit after audition ofcourse. 6-10k

Amp : a little confused here . Was thinking of the JBL x646 but Driven doesn't have it and recommends an equivalent kenwood amp. We had kept approx 6-7 k for the 4 channel amp and all other amps that driven has cost 11k onwards.

How is that Kenwood amp as compared to jbl?
No plans for a mono amp.

Wiring - 3k

Please advise.
Old 6th May 2013, 12:06   #12086
BHPian

^^ as for the amp which is better - JBL X646 or Kenwood M846 ?
Old 6th May 2013, 13:21   #12087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
^^ as for the amp which is better - JBL X646 or Kenwood M846 ?
Nothing much to choose from between them. Personally I would prefer the Kenwood amp.
Old 15th May 2013, 13:33   #12088
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing much to choose from between them. Personally I would prefer the Kenwood amp.
I would prefer the JBL just because of the crossover settings on them.
And I always though JBL sounded better than the kenwood model.
Old 15th May 2013, 14:19   #12089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo View Post
I would prefer the JBL just because of the crossover settings on them. ...
All amps including the JBL and Kenwood have a Hi-pass and a Lo-pass filter (which probably is what you are referring to as 'crossover settings').

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo View Post
... And I always though JBL sounded better than the kenwood model.
Better how? That is where personal preference shows up - and the difficulty to describe the how & why.
Old 15th May 2013, 14:25   #12090
BHPian

Quote:
All amps including the JBL and Kenwood have a Hi-pass and a Lo-pass filter (which probably is what you are referring to as 'crossover settings').

Better how? That is where personal preference shows up - and the difficulty to describe the how & why.
Yes the kenwood has fixed setting on one of its channel. For a modest installation it might not be a problem.

When there is a sub with separate amp there can be phase issues. At that point an adjustable crossover comes in handy than a fixed switch. I faced this issue several times during installs on these amps.

Anyways its not a big deal but that tips my personal perference scale.

Anyways most of the head units have Hi pass filter settings with steeper slope than amps these days.

Most Viewed