Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2014, 19:15   #12466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantv2003 View Post
Thank you.
Can you please tell me where can I audition these speakers in New Delhi?
Currently I am in Delhi only.
I am staying near Select city mall Saket.
Below is what I've been running for close to 3 years now. Prices are from Apr-May'11 time.

Head Unit - JBL GT-X333 - 4500/-
Front Components - Morel Maximo 6.5" - 5000/-
Subwoofer - Rainbow Cyclone 12" (Ported Enclosure) - 11400/-
Amplifier - JBL GTO 1004 (4-channel) - 12500/-
Power Kit - Bull Audio 5 Gauge - 3600/-
RCA Cable (brand unknown) - 550/-
Speaker Wire (brand unknown) - 1350/-
Subwoofer Wire (brand unknown) - 250/-
Dampening - 2 sheets of Stinger Roadkill in Front Doors - 4500/-

I can vouch for the Front components, Sub & Amp.

For auditioning a wide range of components I would recommend Motor Concepts(West Delhi I think) or Driven (East of Kailash, near to Saket).

I've run the Sub continously upto 14-15 hrs with 15 mins break every 3-4 hours so the Amp has been doing its job well. It does heat up but has never tripped. The sub is loud enough to wake up the neighbours and clean enough for you to really feel the drops.

EDIT: If you wish to audition the Sub/Comps or check out the Amp, please PM me. I stay in Lajpat Nagar.
Old 11th March 2014, 00:42   #12467

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Please check the OE mounting size and arrangement first - IIRC it is 5"x7". There are very few components available in India in this size, though they are available plenty in US. In case you don't get 5x7 components, you will need to look for an MDF adapter which will enable you to mount the 6.5" mid-bass into the oval slot (this needs the speaker to be raised from the mounting surface a bit). If it is 6.5", then after-market 6.5" components will fit.

Please do audition the models before even thinking of buying. Of the models that you have listed, the Hertz and the Polk DB are too bright for my liking - it may or may not be for you. Alpine - well, the other brands are better than this Alpine model.
Thanks a lot for the response. The OE slot is 5x7 for the rear not sure of the from door comps.
Any other speakers you suggest? So its possible to fit after market but only with MDF spacer rings correct? Hope the SQ won't suffer for that.
Old 11th March 2014, 11:37   #12468
BHPian

Hi Soumen, If the spacer is made perfectly there should be no drop in SQ. 5x7 is a rare slot provided in cars. I do know that Boston do have co-axial speakers of that size. If you have a good rapport with the car accessories outlets, they may be able to procure it on order.
sparsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 12:56   #12469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenM View Post
... The OE slot is 5x7 for the rear not sure of the from door comps.
Any other speakers you suggest? So its possible to fit after market but only with MDF spacer rings correct? Hope the SQ won't suffer for that.
It will be the same - 5x7 is a Ford favorite.

The known aftermarket 5x7s in India have been:
JBL GTO 8627 (6x8, but actually fit in the Ford slot)
Infinity Reference 6830cs
Hertz ESK 570
There may be others too, but not very well known.

Fitting 6.5" on MDF spacers is not that trivial - the spacers need to be carved to fit the contour of the door inner metal where the OE slot is provided. The alternative is getting plastic spacers for Ford - check eBay and Amazon. One has to have good seating for the speakers to prevent the rear waves meeting the front waves (bass cancellation), near the speaker.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 13:03   #12470

Quote:

Hertz ESK 570

Fitting 6.5" on MDF spacers is not that trivial - the spacers need to be carved to fit the contour of the door inner metal where the OE slot is provided. The alternative is getting plastic spacers for Ford - check eBay and Amazon. One has to have good seating for the speakers to prevent the rear waves meeting the front waves (bass cancellation), near the speaker.
Thanks for the info, so it seems grtting the 6.5 comps fitted will be an issue if not done properly by a professional. I will check with a few shops if they are ok with Ford slots.
Old 11th March 2014, 13:12   #12471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Hertz ESK 570
Most popular one nowadays is the Polk Audio dB571:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/polk...b-571-5/217031

Haven't heard it yet but it's available easier than the JBL and Infinity ones.

5X7 components in India is impossible to find. I had tried for the Figo but was never successful.

Am looking at dB571 for a future upgrade in the Ecosport but need to see how to audition it once.

6.5" components can with with the spacer like you mention but bit of the door pad plastic needs to be cut as well as it sticks out.
Old 11th March 2014, 13:20   #12472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Most popular one nowadays is the Polk Audio dB571...
Am looking at dB571 for a future upgrade in the Ecosport but need to see how to audition it once. ...
Yes, I think you should definitely audition it first. The tweeters of db series from Polk are hyper-efficient, i.e. they were always very bright.

PS: What in heavens has happened to the India JBL and Infinity websites? They have been perpetually "Under Maintenance" for the last 6 months!
Old 11th March 2014, 13:45   #12473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Some bass will leak through
I didnt get you.

What I see the ideal use case would be for those who use 8 / 10" subs tuned to 30Hz, they need a pretty lengthy port. PRs can reduce the box size compared to ported design and also it has good low end extension and more efficient than ported ones.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 11th March 2014 at 13:48.
Old 11th March 2014, 14:42   #12474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, I think you should definitely audition it first. The tweeters of db series from Polk are hyper-efficient, i.e. they were always very bright.

PS: What in heavens has happened to the India JBL and Infinity websites? They have been perpetually "Under Maintenance" for the last 6 months!
Everything is now on the Harman india portal. Think they had some organizational changes.

http://www.harman.in/products/lifestyle/car-speakers/

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th March 2014 at 14:53.
Old 11th March 2014, 15:13   #12475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Everything is now on the Harman india portal. ...
Heh heh you are just seeing the top level landing page - that is only a teaser. The links to actual information ("Read more") still lead one to the "Under maintenance" page - and that is what I have been seeing since last September! Looks like they have forgotten about their website.
Old 11th March 2014, 16:55   #12476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
What I see the ideal use case would be for those who use 8 / 10" subs tuned to 30Hz, they need a pretty lengthy port. PRs can reduce the box size compared to ported design and also it has good low end extension and more efficient than ported ones.
When a subwoofer is in the trunk not all of the bass leaks into the cabin. Stuffing a small sub in a small box and tuning low can be done. I remember Resonant Engineering making such subwoofers. Really small 8" in less than 20 liters with a 8" PRs on 3 sides. I guess they never took of because of the cost of the 3 PRs (you need a PR with at least twice the volume displacement of the active driver to make sense).

In short it's not that it cant be done but cost probably kills the concept.
Old 12th March 2014, 16:37   #12477
BHPian

quick suggestion..

Polk Audio db1222 Dual 12" http://www.snapdeal.com/product/polk...12-dual/638599
or
Infinity - Reference 1220DE Dual 12" http://www.snapdeal.com/product/infi...dual-12/659123
Old 12th March 2014, 17:55   #12478
Senior - BHPian

The Polk seems to be significantly more efficient.
That means you can make do with far lower amplifier power, which is a good thing for ICE.
Old 21st March 2014, 13:35   #12479
BHPian

Planning for a basic and cost effective setup for my i20.

Ordered JBL 1215B (as i wanted a company sealed enclosure at a vfm price tag)

Front Components will be added after a year or so

Amp - (which one will give the best bang for my buck and go well with the sub?)

Four channel options -

- JBL GT-X646 (6.7k)
- Kenwood KAC M846 (4.8k)
- JBL GX-A644SI (7.5k)
- JBL - GTO 504EZ (8.5k) [If budget permits]

Kenwood KAC M846 looks the most VFM but some people suggest that it under powered for this woofer.

Please suggest and yes my budget is tight.
Old 21st March 2014, 14:52   #12480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
Amp - (which one will give the best bang for my buck and go well with the sub?)

Four channel options -

- JBL GT-X646 (6.7k)
- Kenwood KAC M846 (4.8k)
- JBL GX-A644SI (7.5k)
- JBL - GTO 504EZ (8.5k) [If budget permits]
I think you have answered your own question. The kenwood at under 5K is the most VFM of this bunch at these prices. That said I have seen the 646 sold at 6K so maybe you should check prices from 2 vendors.

All 4 amps are in the 50-70w rms/ch range and I dont think any one will offer significantly more power than the others hence the kenwood 846 (or which amp you can get cheapest of this lot) is your best bet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks