Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 18:09   #12616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
... Is there a specific output, in terms of Watts I believe, that I should be limiting myself to? ...
Limiting? I am sure you will notice that $$$ goes up as the W RMS goes up. A moderate system with 60-80W RMS rating will be good enough.
Old 12th August 2014, 18:13   #12617
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Limiting? I am sure you will notice that $$$ goes up as the W RMS goes up. A moderate system with 60-80W RMS rating will be good enough.
I meant limiting in terms of any specific output, which my system can take.

The purse is limited already!
Old 12th August 2014, 19:59   #12618
BHPian

Guys needs some help, i have misplaced my remote for my Pioneer HU AVH X 4590DVD cant seem to find what model i need or what a suitable replacement is would anyone have any information?
Old 13th August 2014, 00:03   #12619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Guys needs some help, i have misplaced my remote for my Pioneer HU AVH X 4590DVD cant seem to find what model i need or what a suitable replacement is would anyone have any information?
You need a CXE 5116, google has all the information. Cheers.
Jag4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 12:17   #12620
BHPian

Hello All,

I wanted to confirm a particular type of connection before i buy a 4 channel amplifier.

But First,

What I have:

Car is Tata Indica Xeta:

1. HU: Pioneer MVH-355BT- This has only one set of pre-amp output. This can be configured as rear or subwoofer connection. Currently i am using it to connect to a subwoofer with built in amplifier.

2. speakers: Rear Speakers mounted on tray: Sony Xplod 6x9
Front speakers mounted on dashboard: 4 inch sony xplod

3. Active Subwoofer: Blaupunkt EMB 800A (It has Preamp as well as high level inputs possible)

What I want:

I know many of you do not like the SQ of sony speakers but currently i do not want to change those. I am finding them ok right now but at the same time i would like to get a little bit more out of them and so would like to add a 4 channel amplifier. In future i may change them to better quality ones.

Now my question is, Right now the HU is driving all the 4 speakers and the single set of pre-amp out on HU is used to connect to Active subwoofer using RCA cables.
In an amplifier e.g JBL - GT X646 - 4 Channel Amplifier (800 W), there is a RCA out to connect to other components. So,

1. Can I use the single set of preamp out on HU, split each channel using a y splitter cable and connect to front and rear RCA inputs on the said amplifier? ..and connect RCA out on the amplifier to the Subwoofer RCA input?

I am thinking, this is possible but i will loose the fader functionality this way and also will have no subwoofer control in HU because i am assigning the pre amp outputs on HU as 'Rear' speakers. But this should not be a problem since i have freq, gain and phase knobs on subwoofer.

Or

2. The same connections as above, except that instead of splitting the single set of pre amp output on HU using y splitter cable, i connect a single set of rca cable to one of the rca inputs (e.g Rear) of the amplifier and use the front speaker output of the HU and convert it to RCA using a 'High to Low converter' and then connect it to the RCA input (Front) of amplifier.
So this way I would not loose the fader control.

Your valuable advice please

Regards

Bokilap.
Old 13th August 2014, 21:40   #12621
BHPian

Excellent information on this thread, thanks all for sharing your inputs. I’m in the same boat (choosing the right speaker package for my Fortuner) and am confused about the setup to pick up. Need help

Music preference: I listen to new Bollywood songs, some English, Punjabi and Gazals etc. I need the music to be clear and with a tight bass but not too boomy which gets out of the car for others to listen or show off. The music should not be tiresome.

Setup needed: I will retain the HU, need help with Front components, Rear coaxial or components, Sub and amps for speakers, Will use dampening (Dampmat or whatever the group recommends). Sub should be able to fit the boot of Fortuner

Budget: INR 60,000 (+/- 15%)

I’ve been visiting dealers across NCR and everyone has given me a different setup and none have been able to give me an audition. Hence want to finalize some configuration before I finally go to a dealer to get it installed.

I’ve been given the following options till now by the dealers and am thoroughly confused:

Option 1: Front Comps: RF Punch PS16-S; Rear Coax: RF Punch P165; Amp: RF Prime R300X4 & Sub: RF Punch P1S4-12. Power the front comps & the sub by the Amp and rear coaxials by the HU.
Questions:
1) Will Rockford will be good enough for my type of music budget? What mix match should I do with this setup?
2) Have heard conflicting views on Components in the rear vs coaxials. Hence which is the best option
3) Will splitting the amp and adding a mono also significant improve the quality, if yes then which one?
4) For the front comps it is worth going up to the power series (RF T1675-S) for the jump in music clarity : Price difference between PS16-S & T1675-S is INR 14K

Option 2: Front Speakers: Rainbow EL-C5.2 ; 4 Channel amp: PHD 4060 & Subwoofer: Rainbow DL-S12
This option given has no rear speakers (stay with stock)

Option 3 : Front speakers : Pioneer TS-D1720C, Rear Coax: RF Punch P165, Amp : Pioneer GMA4604 (4-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier with Bass Boost Volume Control) and Sub : Pioneer 30 cm Shallow-Mount IMPP Component Subwoofer

Option 4 : Front Speakers: Hertz HiEnergy HSK 165XL ; Rear Comp : HSK 165; 4 Channel amp: Hertz HCP 4 . This option given was without the subwoofer

Option 5 : Front Speakers: Kappa 60.11cs ; Rear Coax : Kappa 6.6 coax; 4 Channel amp: Blaupunkt GTA 470 DSP, Subwoofer : . This option given was without the subwoofer : Powered Subwoofer GTb Blaupunkt 8200 A

Am thoroughly confused hence seeking help

Appreciate the time taken by you in reading long post and thanks in anticipation of guiding a newbie like me on choosing the best setup
Old 14th August 2014, 16:09   #12622
BHPian

Dear Friends,

May i have your guidance please, to my previous post (just one post before the above)?

Thanks!

Additional query: If i have 6x9 on rear tray and also a subwoofer at the back, will 5.25 inch component speakers on door be ok SQ wise? I do not want to do modifications to indica door to install 6.25 inch ones.

Thanks!
Old 14th August 2014, 16:26   #12623
BHPian

Answered your questions in Bold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav013 View Post

Setup needed: I will retain the HU, need help with Front components, Rear coaxial or components, Sub and amps for speakers, Will use dampening (Dampmat or whatever the group recommends). Sub should be able to fit the boot of Fortuner. Good decision. Rears should have coaxials to maintain the sound image, so that the sound doesn't mix and come from behind your ears. Damping is always recommended so that the sound remains inside your car and rattling is minimal.

Budget: INR 60,000 (+/- 15%)

I’ve been visiting dealers across NCR and everyone has given me a different setup and none have been able to give me an audition. Hence want to finalize some configuration before I finally go to a dealer to get it installed.
Honestly, don't buy from a dealer which doesn't let you audition or audition in another car through a BHP'ian and then buy. Do not buy without an audition. There is a dealer in Gurgaon who was willing to give an audition.

I’ve been given the following options till now by the dealers and am thoroughly confused:

Option 1: Front Comps: RF Punch PS16-S; Rear Coax: RF Punch P165; Amp: RF Prime R300X4 & Sub: RF Punch P1S4-12. Power the front comps & the sub by the Amp and rear coaxials by the HU.
Questions:
1) Will Rockford will be good enough for my type of music budget? What mix match should I do with this setup? Rockford is good, but a little more treble oriented. I would suggest the focals for your kind of music.
2) Have heard conflicting views on Components in the rear vs coaxials. Hence which is the best option. Coaxials
3) Will splitting the amp and adding a mono also significant improve the quality, if yes then which one?If you want more bass output and a little cleaner bass, yes. But rather get a better subwoofer and enclosure.
4) For the front comps it is worth going up to the power series (RF T1675-S) for the jump in music clarity : Price difference between PS16-S & T1675-S is INR 14K At that price point, you have much better options such as the Focal 165 or the Rainbow's too!

Option 2: Front Speakers: Rainbow EL-C5.2 ; 4 Channel amp: PHD 4060 & Subwoofer: Rainbow DL-S12
This option given has no rear speakers (stay with stock). Would you mind giving the cost. You can get the rear speakers in the given budget of 65000.

Option 3 : Front speakers : Pioneer TS-D1720C, Rear Coax: RF Punch P165, Amp : Pioneer GMA4604 (4-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier with Bass Boost Volume Control) and Sub : Pioneer 30 cm Shallow-Mount IMPP Component Subwoofer Will not recommend this combo. Again at the price point, you have much much better options. Demo'ed the pioneer in a dealer's car and they were too sharp and treble oriented.

Option 4 : Front Speakers: Hertz HiEnergy HSK 165XL ; Rear Comp : HSK 165; 4 Channel amp: Hertz HCP 4 . This option given was without the subwoofer
What dealer has quoted you the prices? At this budget you can get a good subwoofer. The amp is good, but the speakers are again not that good.

Option 5 : Front Speakers: Kappa 60.11cs ; Rear Coax : Kappa 6.6 coax; 4 Channel amp: Blaupunkt GTA 470 DSP, Subwoofer : . This option given was without the subwoofer : Powered Subwoofer GTb Blaupunkt 8200 A
The speakers are really good but the amp and subwoofer can be upgraded, go for a passive subwoofer anyday.

Am thoroughly confused hence seeking help

Appreciate the time taken by you in reading long post and thanks in anticipation of guiding a newbie like me on choosing the best setup
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 10:13   #12624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Answered your questions in Bold.

Thanks a lot for the response.
I will avoid Option 1 (Rockford Fosgate), I’m left with two options

Option 5 : This fits my budget

Front Speakers: Kappa 60.11cs for INR 10K ; Rear Coax : Kappa 6.6 coax for INR 6.6K ; 4 Channel amp : Mono Amp and Subwoofer pls suggest.

Option A : Will an Infinity - Kappa Five Five-Channel amplifier suffice for a setup to power front comps, rear coax and a sub, if yes then this will save me some money – pls suggest a Subwoofer in this case

Option B: If the five channel not suffice then pls suggest if Kappa Four - 4 Channel Full Range Class D Amplifier be good enough ? If yes then pls suggest a mono amp and subwoofer

A dealer I went to kept saying that Kappa’s are better than Rockford but still are very bright and I should only look at focal and he suggested option 6 below. Will option 5 suffice or there is significant difference between these two

Option 6:

Font Comps: Focal P165 V30 for INR 18K or Focal Access 165 AS for INR 13K. Is the V30 worth INR 5K extra?

Read Coax: Focal Access INR 5K

Subwoofer: Rainbow DL-S12 for INR 12,500 (including enclosure)

Damping: 12 sheets (3 on each front door, 2 on each rear door and 2 in the boot) INR 12K

Converter : Scosche SLC-4

Wiring kit : INR 4K / amp hence if 2 amps then 8K

Amp : Focal FPP 4100 for INR 18K. If I use this amp to power the front comp and sub-woofer and run the rear coax with the HU, this setup comes somewhere in my budget with a stretch. Else if I add a Focal Mono for INR 18000/- then I’m really busing my budget.

Will the 4 channel amp suffice and I can add a mono in 6 months’ time or I need a to add a mono now ?

Total cost of setup (option 6) : INR 74K (without mono amp) and INT 97K with mono amp.
Old 17th August 2014, 13:40   #12625
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the response.
I will avoid Option 1 (Rockford Fosgate), I’m left with two options

Option 5 : This fits my budget

Front Speakers: Kappa 60.11cs for INR 10K ; Rear Coax : Kappa 6.6 coax for INR 6.6K ; 4 Channel amp : Mono Amp and Subwoofer pls suggest.

Option A : Will an Infinity - Kappa Five Five-Channel amplifier suffice for a setup to power front comps, rear coax and a sub, if yes then this will save me some money – pls suggest a Subwoofer in this case

Option B: If the five channel not suffice then pls suggest if Kappa Four - 4 Channel Full Range Class D Amplifier be good enough ? If yes then pls suggest a mono amp and subwoofer

A dealer I went to kept saying that Kappa’s are better than Rockford but still are very bright and I should only look at focal and he suggested option 6 below. Will option 5 suffice or there is significant difference between these two
Option A is good enough honestly. Try a 4 channel amp, if you think there is need for more bass, then go for the mono amp. For daily listening to nothing extraordinary levels, the 4 channel is more than sufficient.
Old 17th August 2014, 16:23   #12626
BHPian

Quote:
choosing the right speaker package for my Fortuner
I would suggest check the other options also (try other online forums too). For this 60-90k budget you will get a far far better set of equipment and speakers than the normal suspects. You can try the options from Rainbow (a special edition component speakers are available with tweeter from their signature series at mouth watering price of ~25K, iPaul amp for the components and sub (bridged or a mono later), a sealed SQ sub from Morel or rainbow or Digital Designs or Infinity Kappa). I would suggest you try the setup with just the front components, you may be surprised to see the difference with the absence of rear speakers. You can also try Helix / HAT(you will get stock clearance units).

BTW, I wont recommend spending a 90K for a setup with the stock HU, in any means you are not going to use the 50% potential of the setup.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 17th August 2014 at 16:25.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 17:09   #12627
BHPian

Quote:
Font Comps: Focal P165 V30 for INR 18K or Focal Access 165 AS for INR 13K. Is the V30 worth INR 5K extra?

Read Coax: Focal Access INR 5K

Subwoofer: Rainbow DL-S12 for INR 12,500 (including enclosure)

Damping: 12 sheets (3 on each front door, 2 on each rear door and 2 in the boot) INR 12K

Converter : Scosche SLC-4

Wiring kit : INR 4K / amp hence if 2 amps then 8K

Amp : Focal FPP 4100 for INR 18K. If I use this amp to power the front comp and sub-woofer and run the rear coax with the HU, this setup comes somewhere in my budget with a stretch. Else if I add a Focal Mono for INR 18000/- then I’m really busing my budget.

Will the 4 channel amp suffice and I can add a mono in 6 months’ time or I need a to add a mono now ?

Total cost of setup (option 6) : INR 74K (without mono amp) and INT 97K with mono amp.
Since I cant PM you. I will explain here.
You are getting a good discount on the focal's, so grab them. They are good for your music choice. No need of adding the mono as of now. Add only when required. What you can do is, ask him to put the infinity on the left door and the focal on the right, and demo each of them. That will help you the best. If you need any help you can contact me at www.facebook.com/guitarevil.
Also do add damping and wiring, they do matter a lot. Ask your dealer for good discount, I am sure he will bring it down to 70. Add mono after a few months!
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 17:12   #12628

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
I would suggest check the other options also (try other online forums too). For this 60-90k budget you will get a far far better set of equipment and speakers than the normal suspects. ......
Totally agree here.

I would strongly suggest you pay a visit to either Driven (East of kailash) or Motor concepts (Rajouri??) or for that matter even Elegance (Lajpat Nagar). You would get much better advice and bang for your buck. These guys will get you some decent auditions as well.

I know it is a little away from GGN but if you are spending that kinda money ...
5hadow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 15:53   #12629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hadow View Post
Totally agree here.

I would strongly suggest you pay a visit to either Driven (East of kailash) or Motor concepts (Rajouri??) or for that matter even Elegance (Lajpat Nagar). You would get much better advice and bang for your buck. These guys will get you some decent auditions as well.

I know it is a little away from GGN but if you are spending that kinda money ...
Thanks, i visited Motor concepts and he said he will give me options/audition while installation, he is the one who gave me option 6
Old 18th August 2014, 18:23   #12630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... i visited Motor concepts and he said he will give me options/audition while installation, he is the one who gave me option 6
Nice way of putting it, since he would have opened the doorpads and done the preparation - and you wouldn't have any way of backing out.

Just make sure you avoid sweet, and sometimes deliberately confusing, talk, and stick with your choice. Your ears are the best judge.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks