Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 22:39   #12691
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Considering that a 2 channel amp cost is just slightly less than a pair of decent components, perhaps you will benefit more by replacing the Sony coaxials with a pair of components. If you want to buy an amp, buy a 4 channel one (costs 5-6K). Tuning the system will be a nightmare with a 2 channel amp.
can u suggest a good set of compos in the range of 2.5k to 3.5k
Old 15th October 2014, 14:05   #12692
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonil.luthra View Post
can u suggest a good set of compos in the range of 2.5k to 3.5k
The cheapest would be Blaupunkt - GT Power 65.2c (6.5" 2 way components) for 3K+ on Snapdeal. You might also get good deal on Infinity Primus and JBL CS6C 6.5" components.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 15:34   #12693
BHPian

Dear Gurus,

I am planning to change the HU for my Innova which came with the build-in HU. I am looking for an integrated unit with DVD, Navigation and reverse camera input too. I am not able to get a good system so far, I am only seeing many of the Chinese ones including the MMI. My Innova is 2011 model. Your suggestions please.
Old 20th October 2014, 18:33   #12694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr View Post
... I am planning to change the HU for my Innova which came with the build-in HU. I am looking for an integrated unit with DVD, Navigation and reverse camera input too. I am not able to get a good system so far, I am only seeing many of the Chinese ones including the MMI. ...
There are plenty of models from Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony and JVC in the market - wonder why you are unable to find them? There is also the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835.

- All their 2DIN units have inputs for auto-switching rearview camera
- Some have Navigation built-in (Kenwood, Blaupunkt), some need an external box from MMI
- All have a separate Video Out for feeding external screen(s)

Check the India websites of Kenwood, Pioneer etc. to know which models are available for India, and then check prices online on Snapdeal, etc. Once you know the prices and model numbers, check with some good installers or large accessories dealers on Mission Road.

Last edited by DerAlte : 20th October 2014 at 19:36.
Old 20th October 2014, 23:23   #12695
BANNED

I recently changed my mono amp from jbl gto 3501 to gto751ez .I feel the clipping circuit is not letting the woofers perform like they did on 3501.I have two polk mm1040 dvc wired as 4ohm load to 751ez .In the 3501 they were wired for 1ohm load .They 751ez just trips when i increase volume and if i reduce it will be back online automatically .Any help is appreciated.My 3501 never tripped even used to pull voltage with car running to 11volts but the 751ez doesnot even make the voltage dip below 13.2 after which it just trips .
Old 23rd October 2014, 21:13   #12696
BANNED

I think i have found the issue . My 3501 used to run on JBL wiring which had 8AWG power/earth wire . Whereas 751EZ requires 4AWG for power/earth . I had been feeding the 751EZ with the same 8AWG . Since i have GTO1004 also with its own separate 8AWG power/earth i took a 16Sqmm copper wire and joined both the amplifier power terminals . Now the 751EZ is giving me all smiles .When i have time i will just change to a single 4AWG from battery to Distribution block and feed both amps from there and also change the earth wire .
Old 27th October 2014, 09:54   #12697
BHPian

Quote:
There are plenty of models from Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony and JVC in the market - wonder why you are unable to find them? There is also the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835.

- All their 2DIN units have inputs for auto-switching rearview camera
- Some have Navigation built-in (Kenwood, Blaupunkt), some need an external box from MMI
- All have a separate Video Out for feeding external screen(s)

Check the India websites of Kenwood, Pioneer etc. to know which models are available for India, and then check prices online on Snapdeal, etc. Once you know the prices and model numbers, check with some good installers or large accessories dealers on Mission Road.
Thanks !! I have zeroed on Pioneer AVIC-F60BT and am on the look out for a good installer. Hopefully this works well for Innova.
Old 28th October 2014, 07:31   #12698
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone. I own a Fiat Punto Dynamic (2013 model). Now I am not really satisfied with the stock audio quality and was looking for options. I donot want to make any major changes in the fear of losing my warranty which is a dangerous proposition with Fiat. Hence no changes to the stock HU.

I intend to do just the speaker upgrade and add an amp later on, which can be used to drive the same speakers. I dont need much Boom boom, but in the stock set up there is hardly any Bass to speak of. My question is how much difference can be felt by just changing the speakers?
I intend to go for some decent ones on all foor doors and at a later stage add an amp to power them.

Or is it a better idea to just go for a two channel amp right away and use it to power speakers installed on the rear parcel tray and use the HU to power stock speakers on door?

Last edited by vibbs : 28th October 2014 at 07:33.
Old 28th October 2014, 14:15   #12699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
... My question is how much difference can be felt by just changing the speakers? ...
A lot, especially mids and high frequencies. A pair of components will do wonders to the sound image in front. The rear can be coaxials.

Quote:
... Or is it a better idea to just go for a two channel amp right away and use it to power speakers installed on the rear parcel tray and use the HU to power stock speakers on door?
No, change the speakers first.

Using an amp to power *only* the rear coaxials is a bad idea.
- Most of the 6x9 oval coaxials are more sensitive than components and round coaxials. For the same power, they sound louder
- 2 channel amps are not VFM, costing roughly 70-80% of a 4 channel amp
- If you amp only the rear coaxials, you will get a heavily rear-oriented image, and tuning the system will be a nightmare
Old 28th October 2014, 22:33   #12700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A lot, especially mids and high frequencies. A pair of components will do wonders to the sound image in front. The rear can be coaxials.

No, change the speakers first.

Using an amp to power *only* the rear coaxials is a bad idea.
- Most of the 6x9 oval coaxials are more sensitive than components and round coaxials. For the same power, they sound louder
- 2 channel amps are not VFM, costing roughly 70-80% of a 4 channel amp
- If you amp only the rear coaxials, you will get a heavily rear-oriented image, and tuning the system will be a nightmare
Thanks a ton for the suggestions.

I am looking at JBL or Blaupunkt. Now the stock speakers for Punto is 6.5 inch I believe. I can see a couple of models from both brands of similar size for around 4-5 K. I can see one Blaupunkt - CX 170 - 6.6 Inch Component also for close to 4K. Will a 6.6 inch speaker fit into 6.5 slot without too much modifications? Or is it better to go with the same size?

Secondly are these entry level speakers good enough in way of improvement over the stock speakers?

I am not yet sure where I will install the tweeters if I go for a component set up at front.
I hope the speakers can be swapped without cutting any factory wiring.

Sorry for the Noobish questions. I dont have much idea about all this
Old 29th October 2014, 16:31   #12701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I can see one Blaupunkt - CX 170 - 6.6 Inch ... Will a 6.6 inch speaker fit into 6.5 slot without too much modifications? Or is it better to go with the same size? ...
They are all 6.5" speakers. They will fit in the OE location.

Quote:
... are these entry level speakers good enough in way of improvement over the stock speakers? ...
Definitely, though one shouldn't expect a huge change in bass. If you are fitting 6x9 coaxials on parcel shelf, it will provide decent bass without having to put sub initially. You will feel the need of a sub when you listen to good systems with subs which reproduce low bass well, but then leave it for the time being - can be Upgrade 2.0!

Quote:
... I am not yet sure where I will install the tweeters if I go for a component set up at front. ...
Inside of the ORVM mount, or 3" above the dash on the A-pillar cladding.

Quote:
... I hope the speakers can be swapped without cutting any factory wiring. ...
No cutting of factory wiring. Installer should be able to connect the same speaker wire that terminates at the OE speaker.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 17:40   #12702
Senior - BHPian

I am back with another simple question.
Earlier my JVC HU was damaged due to incorrect wiring. I was informed later on that the HU is working, but the LCD display is gone bad. Now, I am taking that one and going to send it out to someone in Mumbai who can repair it.
In the meanwhile, I am getting a replacement used unit (some old Sony product).
Now, that works, but there is no sound. It seems due to stripping out of all wiring from the car, during the restoration project, the wiring to the speakers is damaged and needs to be replaced.

What is the amount of money I need to spend for wiring the four existing speakers? Just a ball park figure is fine.

Last edited by S_U_N : 30th October 2014 at 17:42.
Old 31st October 2014, 13:39   #12703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
... What is the amount of money I need to spend for wiring the four existing speakers? Just a ball park figure is fine.
About 1K or less, incl. labour, depending on speaker wire that you buy.
Old 2nd November 2014, 20:03   #12704
Senior - BHPian

@DerAlte, thanks for the advice again. I dont think I ll want a sub, because it will eat up the boot space.

So basically I want to set up a system which will sound decent without a sub. I know it will be a challenge more so since i dont want to change the stock HU too.

I was thinking of taking this in two stages. First stage to buy a good component pair front speakers. Leave the rear speakers stock for the time being. Money saved goes into buying a slightly higher end components for front. Say 10K range instead of the entry level 4-5K ones. Will this be any good?

Second stage will be 6X9 coaxials on the rear parcel tray and a four channel amp that powers front components and the coaxials.

So the final configuration will be stock HU, with an amp powering front components and 6X9 rear coaxials. Rear door speakers powered by the HU itself.

What do you think?
Old 3rd November 2014, 11:20   #12705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About 1K or less, incl. labour, depending on speaker wire that you buy.
Got the work done yesterday evening.
My existing JBL rear speakers required new wiring (also one of them fell down while opening the decky.)
New FM antennae was purchased and installed.
A used Sony music system was installed, but FM did not work.
So, the connections were done again for a JVC DVD player. That one worked fine and finally settled for that.

Total damages are Rs. 400.

The front speakers were completely rusted - I am not sure when and how since earlier the sound from the front was also there. Looks like some workshop fellow has changed those.
I was offered some duplicate Pioneer speakers (which has got one capacitor missing compared to the original speakers) for Rs. 550-650 (including labor and wiring) for a pair.

For now, I have skipped getting new Pioneer speakers. The JBL speakers at the rear are very good.

Last edited by S_U_N : 3rd November 2014 at 11:22.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks