Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2015, 14:22   #12931
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvik6 View Post
-Morel
-Digital Designs
-Focal
-Cerwin Vega
-Pioneer - GM-A6604 - 4 Channel Bridgeable Amplifier (760 W) - 7.5k
-Rockford Fosgate - Prime Series - R250-4 250 Watt 4-Channel Amplifier - 9.5k
-JVC - KS AX3104 - Bridgeable 4-Channel Power Amplifier - 10k
-JBL - GX-A644SI - 4 Channel Power Amplifier - 5.3k...
On the basis of service availability, it would be the Pio and the JBL. There is Kenwood too. All these are roughly in the same league in pricing too - 6K +/-.

The others don't have organized support in India, so one takes a chance.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:11   #12932
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Currently I have swift with following setup:

Bull Audio Components
Kenwood HU and Kenwood 4 channel Amp with cooling fan
Sub-woofer- dont remember company name.
Scosche wiring and dynamite damping.

This setup I got from Driven 6 years back and is superb.

Now I am buying Skoda Rapid and it comes with double din HU with steering controls and 4 speakers.

I am thinking about taking amp & woofer out of swift and putting in Rapid. Also upgrade front speakers to components.

I primarily listen to trance, techno, and electronic music.

What do you all suggest, should I go for new amp and woofer?

Also how is the quality of inbuilt Rapid HU and speakers, should I change HU too?

Will be going to Driven again, unless anyone has other suggestions.
For the genres you listen too, I highly recommend changing the HU and tune it properly, most systems play trance as a hit or miss.

I also highly recommend a sealed box for trance and techno. Ported boxes are way too boxy. So if the sub is all good, go for a sealed box and retain the amp, get a good pair of components.
Morel or Rainbow would give a brilliant sound for EDM along with a proper amp.
For the HU, try and look for Pio's new range. Its better looking than the previous ones.
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 00:43   #12933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
For the genres you listen too, I highly recommend changing the HU and tune it properly, most systems play trance as a hit or miss.

I also highly recommend a sealed box for trance and techno. Ported boxes are way too boxy. So if the sub is all good, go for a sealed box and retain the amp, get a good pair of components.
Morel or Rainbow would give a brilliant sound for EDM along with a proper amp.
For the HU, try and look for Pio's new range. Its better looking than the previous ones.
Is it possible to retain oem navigation system and steering mounted controls if HU is changed? Would be nice once android auto head units become more readily available though would it be wise to wait till then?
Old 25th September 2015, 21:05   #12934
BHPian

I have morel maximo 6.5 components (rated at 90 w rms) and 6.5 coaxials in my s cross driven by the stock headunit. I would like to add an amplifier with speaker level inputs to this set up. Currently I have three options.

1.Pioneer GMA6604 760 W 4 channel - 7-8k quoted
2.Focal Auditor R4280 amp - 12-13 K +extra adapter for speaker level inputs
3.DLS - Reference compact amp 4 channel - 56 W per channel - probably compact RM 40 (Muneem in cochin quoted 15k) - Seems like the model is an older one and out of production.

My questions to the Guru s are

1. Will there be a huge difference between the pioneer and the DLS amplifier SQ of mp3 files, when using a stock HU and speaker level inputs?

2. The components are rated at 90W and wont the 56 W of the DLS be inadequate to drive them.? Moreover if I have to drive a focal 10 inch sub by bridging 2 channels, can the DLS take it comfortably?

I can save around 7k by using a pioneer amp and can use that money to buy a focal 10 inch sub woofer.
Old 29th September 2015, 15:26   #12935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvik6 View Post
Is it possible to retain oem navigation system and steering mounted controls if HU is changed? Would be nice once android auto head units become more readily available though would it be wise to wait till then?
Don't wait for Android HUs to make an appearance.

Yes it is possible to connect to steering mounted controls when you replace the HU. Check the User Manual of the HU you want to purchase - it will either directly support the steering mounted controls, or you will have to use a small external interface box.

What exactly did you mean by "retain oem navigation system" since you also mention "if HU is changed"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
... 1. Will there be a huge difference between the pioneer and the DLS amplifier SQ of mp3 files, when using a stock HU and speaker level inputs? ...
There will be some difference, but not huge. Whether the difference matters or not one can tell only by auditioning (keeping HU, speakers and music constant).

Quote:
... 2. The components are rated at 90W and wont the 56 W of the DLS be inadequate to drive them.? Moreover if I have to drive a focal 10 inch sub by bridging 2 channels, can the DLS take it comfortably? ...
The components do no draw "90W" constantly. They will take only as much as the music and the volume setting requires the amp to push. 56W (most likely 56W RMS) is a lot - you will seldom, if ever, push more than half of that at any point of time.

Quote:
... I can save around 7k by using a pioneer amp and can use that money to buy a focal 10 inch sub woofer.
You could.
Old 29th September 2015, 16:27   #12936
BHPian

Hi,

I am looking for some help in identifying replacement for OEM speakers in Vento. I have read the entire Vento ICE upgrade thread and have collected list of speakers recommended/used by other TBHP members.

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-ventospeaker.jpg

Generic questions

1. Could you please suggest a shop in Bangalore where I can audition these speakers. I understand that all brands will not be available for demo.
2. Recommendation is to use component in the front and coaxial in the rear door. Which one out of Focal and Morel will be better. I have read good reviews about both.
3. Would it make sense to buy online if there is significant difference in price. I am worried after reading this although we might get fake on a shop as well.
4. I would like to install tweeters on the door to minimise external wiring. Can the crossover be accommodated behind door pad?

Vento specific questions

1. Would these component speakers fit in the OEM location? I am not sure about the depth of speakers and whether these will touch when window glass is rolled down. I read that mdf spacers reduce noise origination from vibrations.
2. Would installer have option to use rivet instead of screws? I read OEM speakers are installed using rivet.
3. Are connectors in these speaker compatible with OEM wiring? I do not want installer to cut/splice existing wiring.

Regards.
Old 30th September 2015, 14:59   #12937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
... Generic questions

1. Could you please suggest a shop in Bangalore where I can audition these speakers. I understand that all brands will not be available for demo.
4. I would like to install tweeters on the door to minimise external wiring. Can the crossover be accommodated behind door pad? ...
Good shops / installers would audition different brands, though they may subtly try to push a brand. Audition with your own music, and all tone controls at 0 - and take your time to judge based on objective parameters. Let your ears, and what lies in between, decide what is good or bad.

Don't worry about fakes - you will be able to make out when auditioning. Yes, buying online that risk is there. Another risk is not knowing warranty terms on the product - they might not be honored in India.

Yes, the crossover can be stuck behind the door pad. The best place is actually under the dashboard, where it is protected from water / vapour, and is easily accessible. Behind the doorpad, mount it (after covering with a ziplock bag with opening facing down) on the inner wall of the door with hotmelt glue or tie straps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
... Vento specific questions

1. Would these component speakers fit in the OEM location? I am not sure about the depth of speakers and whether these will touch when window glass is rolled down. I read that mdf spacers reduce noise origination from vibrations.
2. Would installer have option to use rivet instead of screws? I read OEM speakers are installed using rivet.
3. Are connectors in these speaker compatible with OEM wiring? I do not want installer to cut/splice existing wiring. ...
Only in rare cases there is a mismatch of OE connectors and speakers. Not an issue otherwise.

Haven't seen rivets being used to mount speakers, maybe because rivets are not used commonly in automotive assembly (manual riveting will take longer). Screws are the most common mounting hardware.

Depth of speaker is usually not an issue other than on cars with thin doors, like Santro etc.
Old 3rd October 2015, 12:34   #12938
BHPian

Hi DerAlte,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I was looking at posts by other TBHP members who have retained OEM HU and have used a Digital sound processor (DSP) like Audison Bit Ten. Considering the cost of this device would be in the range of 20k would it be a reasonable upgrade in terms of sound quality.

Would installing DSP with upgraded speakers (front component and rear coax) be good upgrade from the stock setup in Vento?
Is it possible to install this without cutting/splicing existing wires?
Would it be worthwhile to install amp before installing DSP? If this is the case then I will have to wait longer to avoid warranty issue with VW.
Which DSP would you recommend and what would be price range? Are DSPs easily available with dealers in India?

Regards.

Last edited by antardaksh : 3rd October 2015 at 12:36.
Old 7th October 2015, 13:57   #12939
BHPian

Note: I don't want to void electrical warranty or cut/splice any wires what do you all recommend for install.

I have bought Skoda Rapid TDI DSG.

My needs are amp, woofer, and components.

JBL has plug and play setup called carstage that does not affect wires. Is that true?

I have very good amp & woofer at home but in swift. Plan to get it installed in rapid. How to go about installation that does not void warranty or cause any type of cutting/splicing.

If I want to buy these accessories directly from Skoda then is it possible.

I am quite nervous about warranty issues and don't want any risks. At the same time I want better system for trance music.

Kindly help.
Old 14th October 2015, 15:20   #12940
BHPian

Hey bhpians,

I am looking for an entry level ICE for my Elite i20. Mostly listen to Punjabi, House and electronic/Lounge music. I have finalized on Morel Maximo components but subwoofer and amplifier are still pending. Budget is around 35k for whole ICE including wiring and damping. Please let me know possible options for Subwoofer and Amplifier in a budget of 20k.
Old 16th October 2015, 13:56   #12941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
... options for Subwoofer and Amplifier in a budget of 20k.
Couldn't respond to your PM since you have set receiving PMs off I think.

Go for either the JBL (preferably) or the Blau amp that you had listed.
Old 16th October 2015, 18:06   #12942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Hey bhpians,

I am looking for an entry level ICE for my Elite i20. Mostly listen to Punjabi, House and electronic/Lounge music. I have finalized on Morel Maximo components but subwoofer and amplifier are still pending. Budget is around 35k for whole ICE including wiring and damping. Please let me know possible options for Subwoofer and Amplifier in a budget of 20k.
I have recently got a cerwin vega vmax 124 12' with cerwin vega xed 500.1. Good clean bass and tuned more for clarity but has a potential to be loud when required .
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-image.jpeg  

Old 17th October 2015, 14:25   #12943
BHPian

Audio Gurus,

Need feedback on the following shallow-mount speakers

1. Pioneer TS-SW Shallow Series
2. JL Audio TW3 Shallow Series
3. Alpine Type-R Shallow Series
4. Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 Shallow Series

I am currently searching only for 8" subs to fit under the front seats.

How are they on performance?
Which of these would be able to fit under the front seat of the Verna?
Are these available in India?
What are the price points for these?
Old 17th October 2015, 15:21   #12944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post

I am currently searching only for 8" subs to fit under the front seats.
I recently bought a Blaupunkt XLF 200A for my truck.
It's very compact, but packs quite a punch.
( http://m.snapdeal.com/product/blaupu...200-a-8/651016 )
Bought it for around 8k from the same link.

I had a Lightning Audio 12" powered by a mono in my previous car.
In comparison, the Blaupunkt has tighter bass, but the 'thump' is nowhere close. But that doesn't bother me, as I want the sub to complement the music and not overwhelm it.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 17th October 2015 at 15:25.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 17:08   #12945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I recently bought a Blaupunkt XLF 200A for my truck.
It's very compact, but packs quite a punch.
Can I bother you for a picture of the installed sub? What is the mounting depth of this sub? Is this available at any of the brick and mortar stores? The reason I ask is that I have not seen any Blaupunkt units out in the market for a long, long time now and am apprehensive of reliability and service should something go wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks