Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2019, 15:58   #13921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
When I was looking for a HU, only thought this might be necessary for the backup camera, not sure about maestro kit, but it looks like something the local installer would have.

Also, do you absolutely need wireless android (as of now,only Pixel phones support wireless AA) ?

I was under the impression that the cable you linked to was to enable playing of videos when the car is in the motion. I need to check again.

Regarding wireless Android Auto, with Android 9, all Android phones will support it. Also, we currently have a pixel, so will be useful.

If there is a good likelihood of getting the install kit here in India, I would rather do that than buying an expensive kit that I might not be able to use.
Old 9th July 2019, 20:01   #13922
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
I was under the impression that the cable you linked to was to enable playing of videos when the car is in the motion. I need to check again.
Yes, you are correct. I had it confused with the one for reverse camera somehow. Nonetheless, I think its better to buy the other kit once you've discussed with an installer, or better buy it from him if he sells a similar one.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 03:17   #13923
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thank you very much. Based on your inputs, i went in for the Blaupunkt Monte Carlo. Now it is version 2 model that has minor changes. There is now only one USB slot (bad, but does not concern me), the colour change of illumination has been dropped (bad), but the grahpic equalizer has 8 bands now (wow).
Sir how has been the experience with the Monte Carlo head unit? Any improvement in sound quality? Did you receive a remote for the HU? I am looking to install it on my WagonR and plan to use this physical remote frequently as my car lacks steering controls.

Also did you buy it directly from a store? If so, can you share the store details? The current Amazon price is 15.9k but I will have to pay extra while getting it installed somewhere.

Sorry for asking too many questions!

Thanks in advance.
Ashis
Old 21st July 2019, 12:19   #13924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Sir how has been the experience with the Monte Carlo head unit? Any improvement in sound quality? Did you receive a remote for the HU? I am looking to install it on my WagonR and plan to use this physical remote frequently as my car lacks steering controls.

Also did you buy it directly from a store? If so, can you share the store details? The current Amazon price is 15.9k but I will have to pay extra while getting it installed somewhere.

Sorry for asking too many questions!

Thanks in advance.
Ashis
Great experience so far, as I am hooked onto Spotify everyday. There was no improvement in the sound because the stock speakers are the same, and the 6 cd player that came with the car was the best in the segment at that point of time. The bass level in the Monte Carlo had to be reduced a bit via the graphic equalizer, as it was causing distortion. A bass booster pre-amp might have helped, but I am quite content with the stock speakers, so had no plans to install one.

Yes, it came with a remote, and I find it handy to switch off or on the player. Even my car does not have steering controls.

I bought and installed it at Top Gear car accessories, beside Chirec international school, near Botanical Gardens. I paid Rs 17K all inclusive, but paid Rs 150 for a radio pin, and Rs 300 more for a usb type C charging cable.
The price in Amazon was 17100 at that point of time. Labour would have been 700 to 1200 extra, had I gone the Amazon route.

Last edited by vnabhi : 21st July 2019 at 12:20.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 13:58   #13925
BHPian

Guru's

Have a query. During my recent service schedule of Swift DDIS, the service center damaged right side DLS R6a component speaker tweeter.

Being an audio enthusiast had done lot of research and based on advice around in year 2009 (9 years back) got my audio system installed from Ajay Kamath then.

Have been happy with this setup.

Setup -

Clarion DXZ785USB Head unit (Got this from US)
DLS R6A Components in the front.
Ground Zero Sub
harman kardon amp - HK CA470
Neutrik Speakon Connector for detaching enclosure
Noise Kill Damping
Scosche wiring.

Now since the tweeter is gone for a toss, I am looking for a replacement of DLS R6A.

Could you kindly help advise as I am unable to find new DLS R6A components set. If I can get hold of a new one single tweeter from DLS R6A series, would be great, else I would prefer replacing the entire component set. Please advise and recommend.

@Mods, if this is not the right thread, regret the inconvenience, do guide me to the right thread.

Last edited by tush : 3rd August 2019 at 14:00. Reason: Correction
Old 5th September 2019, 13:25   #13926
BHPian

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Hello everyone, I am in need of some advice here.
I am looking forward to upgrading my Tiago's HU because I am pretty much bored and it does not offer a lot in terms of features. I was earlier skeptical because of the fact that you cannot change a few vehicle related settings without the factory fitted HU but I have realised that one does not need to change them regularly anyways. Earlier I was sure on buying an android HU from Hypersonic but many have advised me to not go for it as the output won't be as good as Harman unit. So, I have shortlisted 3 brands namely Sony, Pioneer and JVC. My budget cannot exceed 17-18k and I am looking for a reliable product that will stick with me till the lifetime of car.
Models I have shortlisted are- Sony XAV-AX3000 and XAV-AX5000, only difference between them being capacitive and resistive touch screen. From Pioneer, it is AVH-Z5190BT and from JVC, KW-M740BT.
My requirements are mainly equal or better output compared to the stock unit and Android Auto which can help me in mostly everything such as navigation etc. Also, I am not looking forward to any other ICE related upgrades.
Please help me in going forward on what should I opt for.
Old 18th September 2019, 22:27   #13927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bineet_D View Post
Hi,
Wireless connection in the Blaupunkt New York 750 is rock solid. There are no disturbance/ disconnects and it just connects as soon as you are within range.

Regards,

I read that headunit with wifi has its own GPS unit. The advantage here will be that the phones GPS is not used hence battery drain and heating remains in control. Is this true? Request you to please verify.
Old 25th September 2019, 01:36   #13928
Senior - BHPian

Any long-term reviews for Blaupunkt HU's ? I'm trying to decide between the XAV AX5000 or Blaupunkt New York 750.

The 750 comes with wireless Apple Car Play and hence i'm keen on that unit. I won't be upgrading the stock speakers, so only looking at quality at or above par compared to stock HU. Which is the better choice ?
Old 25th September 2019, 12:20   #13929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
Models I have shortlisted are- Sony XAV-AX3000 and XAV-AX5000, only difference between them being capacitive and resistive touch screen. From Pioneer, it is AVH-Z5190BT and from JVC, KW-M740BT.
Quote:
Any long-term reviews for Blaupunkt HU's ? I'm trying to decide between the XAV AX5000 or Blaupunkt New York 750.
Quote:
I've shortlisted Pioneer Z-5290BT or Sony XAV 5000 or Blaupunkt New York 750 .
I recently got a 2019 Toyota Corolla. Usually I use the OEM HU and DSP the output to retain the stock look. But in this case the OEM HU does not have a rear USB so I am now looking for a HU to replace the OEM HU but it must be an exact fit to retain the stock look.

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-dashboard1920x895.jpg

My requirements are:
  1. Audio from an iPod hidden in the glove compartment or arm rest
  2. BT for my iPhone for voice calls
  3. Reliability and iPhone/iPod compatibility

The OEM HU screen seems to have a "wide screen" format. The options are:

Sony XAV 5000: https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/i...ers/xav-ax5000

Pioneer 5290BT: https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...s/avh-z5290bt/

Kenwood DMX718WBT: https://www.kenwood.com/india/car/vi...ion/dmx718wbt/

Blaupunkt New York or Monte Carlo: https://www.blaupunkt.com/in/nc/prod.../single/13709/

https://www.blaupunkt.com/in/nc/prod.../single/17071/

The Sony 5000, Kenwood 718WBT and Blaupunkt New York offer dual USB ports so I can connect an ipod to the rear port and still have the front port for an additional use.

The Sony 5000 and Blaupunkt New York offer Car Play for WhatsApp and Google Maps so that's nice to have although not a MUST have.

Last edited by navin : 25th September 2019 at 12:22.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 14:53   #13930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

My requirements are:
  1. Audio from an iPod hidden in the glove compartment or arm rest
  2. BT for my iPhone for voice calls
  3. Reliability and iPhone/iPod compatibility
Sir I would recommend you to go for an Android HU for your car. First of all, they'll provide you with the kind of OEM look and integration that you'll never get in any branded HU. Surely, they aren't as reliable as others but I feel it's worth the trade off given the benefits you could enjoy. It'll meet all your requirements. I've also went with a Hypersonic HU for my Tiago and you can contact them for your requirements. As far as I know, for global products like Toyota, the integration is even better.
Old 25th September 2019, 15:36   #13931
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivamk11 View Post
Sir I would recommend you to go for an Android HU for your car. First of all, they'll provide you with the kind of OEM look and integration that you'll never get in any branded HU. Surely, they aren't as reliable as others but I feel it's worth the trade off given the benefits you could enjoy.
Sir? Please don't call me that. It is embarrassing.

My wife and I share this car and we are both on the wrong side of 55. Additionally my wife is even more technically challenged than I am which is why we live in the Apple universe (iPod, iPhone, iMac) and do not use our phones for music. In fact other than voice calls we only use the phone for the Camera, Google Maps and WhatsApp. We don't even use our phones for email.

Reliability is essential for both of us and we would rather sacrifice a few features for "bullet proof" reliability. Even the mention of the word "Android" scares the heck out of both of us. Two BHPians (Bass&Trouble and Frank Mehta) suggested Android to me and quickly realised that it is too much of a challenge for me.

Last edited by navin : 25th September 2019 at 15:42.
Old 25th September 2019, 16:32   #13932
BHPian

I was in the market recently and these were the 2 shortlisted options for me. Both come with android auto and apple carplay but the sony has a capacitive touch screen whereas pioneer has resistive.
I got the pioneer since my installer and many other reviews online claimed pioneer to have a better output vs sony. After 1 month of usage I feel that the system is just okay and it does lag and is nowhere as slick as our smartphones or some of the good oem HUs but it gets the job done. Output is definitely good and it comes with more tuning options vs sony.
As per your requirements, either of them should be fine and Sony may come out to be cheaper by a few thousand bucks. If you have any questions about the pioneer you can ask me and I'll be happy to help you out with the same.
Old 25th September 2019, 16:51   #13933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I recently got a 2019 Toyota Corolla. Usually I use the OEM HU and DSP the output to retain the stock look. But in this case the OEM HU does not have a rear USB so I am now looking for a HU to replace the OEM HU but it must be an exact fit to retain the stock look.
In addition to the above-mentioned units, another unit which is worth considering is the JVC-M950BWM, along with the New York 750, it comes with wireless Car Play which is an added benefit compared to wired only. Its a little pricey, but I suppose JVC is a better name compared to Blaupunkt in car audio ?

https://www.motorogue.in/products/st...w-v950bwm.html

Last edited by shashank.nk : 25th September 2019 at 16:55.
Old 26th September 2019, 10:34   #13934
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
After 1 month of usage I feel that the system is just okay and it does lag and is nowhere as slick as our smartphones or some of the good oem HUs but it gets the job done.
Thanks. This worries me. I expect any HU to be slicker than a mobile phone because it is a single purpose device.

Quote:
In addition to the above-mentioned units, another unit which is worth considering is the JVC-M950BWM, along with the New York 750, it comes with wireless Car Play which is an added benefit compared to wired only. Its a little pricey, but I suppose JVC is a better name compared to Blaupunkt in car audio ?

https://www.motorogue.in/products/st...w-v950bwm.html
Thanks. I did not consider JVC, maybe I should.
Old 26th September 2019, 12:17   #13935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
I was in the market recently and these were the 2 shortlisted options for me. Both come with android auto and apple carplay but the sony has a capacitive touch screen whereas pioneer has resistive.
Is the lack of slickness mainly due to resistive touch compared to capacitive touch,or is the OS not refined in pioneer ?

If the Sony units perform better, may be the android experience on smartphones help them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks