Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2019, 15:01   #13936
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Is the lack of slickness mainly due to resistive touch compared to capacitive touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
but the sony has a capacitive touch screen whereas pioneer has resistive.
Shashank, As Shreyak has mentioned, it is the Sony that has the Capacitive touch screen (which has better touch sensitivity and supports multi-touch) while the Pioneer has Resistive touch (which is hardier and has higher resistance to dust and water). I would think the Sony (and by that extension the Blaupunkt which also has capacitive touch) would be slicker than the Pioneer.

I suspect hence, it is the Pioneer's software/firmware that makes it slicker, despite it having resistive touch.
Old 26th September 2019, 15:18   #13937
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I suspect hence, it is the Pioneer's software/firmware that makes it slicker, despite it having resistive touch.
So it's a bit of both, capacitive touch with a better OS ?

In that case the JVC unit is also probably ruled out, considering it only has resistive touch, despite having a plethora of settings. So Sony emerges on top considering its tried and tested and probably will sound a little better compared to blaupunkt ?
Old 26th September 2019, 16:30   #13938
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So it's a bit of both, capacitive touch with a better OS ?

In that case the JVC unit is also probably ruled out, considering it only has resistive touch, despite having a plethora of settings. So Sony emerges on top considering its tried and tested and probably will sound a little better compared to blaupunkt ?
No sir. What I meant to ask is, "is the Pioneer software/firmware is so much better that even with a less sensitive touch panel (aka Resistive) it is slicker"? It is the Sony, Kenwood and Blaupunkt that are capacitive touch.

In a car stereo I don't know if having capacitive touch is a significant advantage (I mean do you really need the sensitivity or multi-touch).

I think it is software/firmware is what separates the best from the good.
Old 26th September 2019, 17:07   #13939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No sir. What I meant to ask is, "is the Pioneer software/firmware is so much better that even with a less sensitive touch panel (aka Resistive) it is slicker"? It is the Sony, Kenwood and Blaupunkt that are capacitive touch.
Sorry if I've misunderstood, but wasn't shreyak complaining about the Pioneer unit being laggy ? I was trying to understand if it was the touch which made him feel that way or it was the OS itself, when I re-read his post he's mentioned its the OS which is to blame. Quoting the relevant bit here,

Quote:
I got the pioneer since my installer...snip......After 1 month of usage I feel that the system is just okay and it does lag and is nowhere as slick as our smartphones or some of the good oem HUs but it gets the job done.
Quote:
In a car stereo I don't know if having capacitive touch is a significant advantage (I mean do you really need the sensitivity or multi-touch).
I used to think the same too, until I used Google maps via Android Auto on the HU, capacitive touch made it so much easier to zoom into or out of specific points on the map and felt no different to using my smartphone. I've not tried it with a resistive touch unit, but doubt if it can match up.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 11:59   #13940
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if I've misunderstood, but wasn't shreyak complaining about the Pioneer unit being laggy ? ,
Quote:

Over the last 1 month since I bought it, my usage has been mostly restricted to android auto. I feel it would have been much better to use if the touch was capacitive. For normal stereo functions like using iPod or just bluetooth, the system works fine and the touch response is satisfactory. Infact the Bluetooth connection is pretty fast and the UI as such is decent and it won't be very different from sony.
shreyak_ss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 23:01   #13941
BHPian

Can someone suggest a pair of warm sounding 6.5" components for my Ignis to go in the front doors? Budget is 5-7k. I like them to have a great midrange. Not particular about bass, and I absolutely detest bright highs. HU is a Blaupunkt San Marino 330, and I have an old 4 channel kenwood Amp with me from the previous car. The doors will be damped.
Old 8th October 2019, 23:39   #13942
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Over the last 1 month since I bought it, my usage has been mostly restricted to android auto.
Quote:
Sorry if I've misunderstood, but wasn't shreyak complaining about the Pioneer unit being laggy ?
Finally Toyota got back to me and told me that the OEM HU is an older version of the Blaupunkt Osaka. It is slightly more rectangular than most Double DIN HUs. However I cant find any model that looks like it using Google. Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to retain the stock look.

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-oem-car-stereo-supplied.jpg

This seems to be the newer version
https://www.blaupunkt.com/in/nc/prod.../single/17072/

Last edited by navin : 8th October 2019 at 23:42.
Old 11th October 2019, 15:13   #13943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally Toyota got back to me and told me that the OEM HU is an older version of the Blaupunkt Osaka. [/url]
How would you rate the output of the stock HU ?

The model you've listed (Osaka 760) seems to have a 6.75" screen,same as the NewYork 750. However the 750 comes with wireless carplay which seems to be missing in the Osaka 760, also the pricing of the Osaka at 35000 is quite steep compared to ~19000 of the Newyork 750 unit. I'm assuming both are an easy fit since they're the same screen size as the outgoing unit.
Old 11th October 2019, 16:13   #13944
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How would you rate the output of the stock HU ?
Bleh. Then again I have given up on Toyota ever providing a decent sound system in their cars.

Quote:
The model you've listed (Osaka 760) seems to have a 6.75" screen,same as the NewYork 750. However the 750 comes with wireless carplay which seems to be missing in the Osaka 760, also the pricing of the Osaka at 35000 is quite steep compared to ~19000 of the Newyork 750 unit. I'm assuming both are an easy fit since they're the same screen size as the outgoing unit.
I am hoping that the Kenwood 718wbt, 719wbt, 918ws, or 919ws will fit in the same slot without any ugly trim plates needed.

https://www.kenwood.com/india/car/vi...ion/dmx719wbt/
https://www.kenwood.com/india/car/vi...ion/ddx719wbt/
https://www.kenwood.com/india/car/vi...tion/ddx918ws/
https://www.kenwood.com/india/car/vi...tion/ddx919ws/
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 01:48   #13945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bleh. Then again I have given up on Toyota ever providing a decent sound system in their cars.

I think the 900 series is a better bet considering it comes with Android Auto and CarPlay. The 700 series seems to have mirroring only.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 10:57   #13946
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think the 900 series is a better bet considering it comes with Android Auto and CarPlay. The 700 series seems to have mirroring only.
The 900 series should be better, it is significantly more expensive too.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 11:07   #13947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
Hi bhpians,

Does anyone have an idea on the power output of the stock HU of the Alto K10 (Nippon NC67PO)?

I need to improve the sound quality of the system, the stock speakers sound pretty muddy and bass heavy. Planning to install only front components as of now without amp (vit M shortage), any suggestions for speakers that the HU can drive well, looking for warm sound signature with punchy mids and laid back / less harsh highs. After some research, these are the options I was able to finalize on:
1. Morel maximo 6
2. Polk db6501/6502
3. Alpine SPS-610C
4. Infinity reference 6500cx

Any suggestions, my budget is 7k for the speakers, will go for damping and rear 6x9 in stage 2.
Hi Gurus,

After almost 2 years of posting this, I finally decided to upgrade my car audio in phases.

Phase 1: Front components - Morel maximo 6
Phase 2: HU - not decided which yet
Phase 3: Amp and sub

Phase 1: Since my budget was 15k with install (minus damping), I went ahead with Maximo 6 @Auto planet, Koramangala. Met Kartik there, who gave me 1.5 hr class on car ICE. Anyways, getting back to the point, the final price quoted was 11.5k

Morel maximo 6: 9k
Spacer rings x2: 1k
Installation: 1k
Wiring adapter: 0.5k

The crossovers are mounted on the door outside skin using 3M tape, rolled in plastic and taped. While the tweeters are placed on the sail panels above mirror adjustment knobs.

The installer kept insisting on 5ft additional wiring for the tweeters though there is more than sufficient wiring for twice the length required. Though the installer seemed expert, there are certain things I am not happy about.

1. He did not test the polarity of either speakers and closed the door panels before powering on the HU.
2. Will the crossovers in the outer door cause any problems? Although they are sealed tight in plastic bags and taped up
3. Even after keeping eq Flat, and treble at -4, the tweeters sound harsh and in certain songs it hurts my ears. I keep volume low (max 50%).
4. Is there any way to know if the tweeters are at correct polarity? Or not in phase with each other?

Although the mids are punchy and tight, I am sad about the highs - they sound shrill and artificial at times esp. with bollywood songs. Since I still am using stock HU, I can't play around with the eq much too, is there any way to make this system enjoyable till I upgrade to phase 2? Contrary to what I heard, this sounds like a dinchak system which cabbies use.Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-20191019_153946.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-20191020_104612.jpg  

Old 20th October 2019, 11:25   #13948
BANNED

Quote:
Morel maximo 6: 9k.
Morel speakers are slightly brighter out of the box.

Quote:
Although the mids are punchy and tight, I am sad about the highs - they sound shrill and artificial at times esp. with bollywood songs.
Did you open the see if the crossover has any settings for the tweeter attenuation?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 11:37   #13949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Morel speakers are slightly brighter out of the box.

Did you open the see if the crossover has any settings for the tweeter attenuation?
Didn't see any switches for tweeter attenuation on the crossovers. I even checked the online manual and installation guide. Do I need to burn them in via white noise to sound better, because my ears hurt even after couple of hours of listening to them

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th October 2019 at 12:38. Reason: edited
Old 20th October 2019, 13:19   #13950
BANNED

Quote:
Didn't see any switches for tweeter attenuation on the crossovers. I even checked the online manual and installation guide. Do I need to burn them in via white noise to sound better, because my ears hurt even after couple of hours of listening to them
May sound better after burn-in.

If that doesn't help, try changing the mounting axis of the tweeter. I mean try mounting it 'off-axis'. I think it is 'on-axis' currently, right?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks