Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2024, 07:47   #14416
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_cars_guy View Post
Dear folks,

Request for your advice on the below please.

I am looking to replace the head unit on my Honda City ZX. Have changed the front speakers and tweeters to Audible Physics, and the rear speakers to Helix. Though the quality has increased, albeit it is just slightly better to the OEM setup.

I have been told that this is due to the weak power output from the OEM head unit. The installer's solution was to add an Amplifier, which I am not keen on until my car warranty is in place.

So, the other option would be to change the head unit itself.
Which model of Audible Physics do you have?
I have recently upgraded the speakers in my car to the Tandav OEM speakers and the output was unsatisfactory. Upon checking their website, these speakers have low sensitivity at 85.5db. You need good power to drive them. The Helix speakers on the other hand are efficient at 91db. Meaning they require lesser power. If these are not co-axial speakers, I'd recommend you to swap the Audible physics with Helix and give it a listen.

I too was apprehensive of adding an amplifier, but having a heard how it sounds in another car with the same make, I decided to go ahead. Also, there wasn't any wire-cutting or splicing involved. With the amp, it is a night & day difference with Audible Physics. Also, wouldn't the same conditions of warranty apply if you were to change the head unit? Also, you lose the left-cam functionality!
vinvin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 19:31   #14417
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
You don't have to let go of your OEM head unit… Don't replace your OEM unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Adding DSP + Amp is the viable solution to extract better output from the already installed aftermarket speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantuchil View Post
Just FYI - cutting of wires is not required for installing the DSP/Amp - so it should not void any warranties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
With the amp, it is a night & day difference with Audible Physics.

Thanks lxskllr, Mr.Boss, prashantuchil and vinvin for your thoughts and advice.

Following your advice, I have installed a Morel 4 channel amplifier and a MTX subwoofer. The amp powers the front Audible Physics component speakers and the subwoofer. I have left the rear Helix speakers as is and that’s powered from the head unit.

Overall, very satisfied with the output. There is a richness in the output quality, which can’t be penned down in words! Absolute bliss!

Thanks again for showing me this path, much grateful.
Crazy_cars_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 20:06   #14418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_cars_guy View Post

Following your advice, I have installed a Morel 4 channel amplifier and a MTX subwoofer. The amp powers the front Audible Physics component speakers and the subwoofer. I have left the rear Helix speakers as is and that’s powered from the head unit.

Overall, very satisfied with the output. There is a richness in the output quality, which can’t be penned down in words! Absolute bliss!

Thanks again for showing me this path, much grateful.
Glad to hear that you are now enjoying the setup. Life is short to hear bad audio!

Could you tell me what model are the Helix and Audible Physics speakers you have? I have a 4 channel Morel amp too. I'll keep the model numbers in mind, when I upgrade.
Old 10th February 2024, 18:16   #14419
BHPian

Hi Gurus!
In my 1 year old dzire car, current setup is as follows:
Pioneer 5290 BT, JL Audio C1 components at front and C1 co-axials at rear (JL Audio door speakers only because of the mouth-watering deal I had got). None of the speakers are powered by amplifier.

I am now upgrading current setup with a subwoofer but wish to place inside cabin and at the same time do not wish to go down to 8 inch driver. Hence going with 10 inch JL Audio thin line (TW3) as there aren't many choices in thin line version and it is available easily and with the recommended height (as low as 3.75 inch internal) and size of sealed enclosure (0.5 cu ft) can be placed under front seat (by extending the enclosure 3-4 inch outside seat back as we are a family of 3 members).

My query is:
1. Will you recommend to produce the sealed enclosure with 12mm (0.47 inch) plywood with correct reinforcement from inside, as it will further help to lower enclosure height and is with me already and, instead of the recommended 0.625-0.75 inch mdf?

2. Can I place the subwoofer upside firing without making the seated person uncomfortable due to bass?

3. If upside firing will make the passenger uncomfortable, is it fine to place the subwoofer downside firing considering subwoofer's long term good shape? How much gap should be there between floor and subwoofer?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11th February 2024, 00:52   #14420
BHPian

In pictorial form what I am trying to say -

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-down-firing-new.jpg

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-upside-firing.jpg

What will be preferred - downside firing or upside firing?
Old 12th February 2024, 21:14   #14421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1200 View Post
Hi Gurus!
In my 1 year old dzire car, current setup is as follows:
Pioneer 5290 BT, JL Audio C1 components at front and C1 co-axials at rear (JL Audio door speakers only because of the mouth-watering deal I had got). None of the speakers are powered by amplifier.

I am now upgrading current setup with a subwoofer but wish to place inside cabin and at the same time do not wish to go down to 8 inch driver. Hence going with 10 inch JL Audio thin line (TW3) as there aren't many choices in thin line version and it is available easily and with the recommended height (as low as 3.75 inch internal) and size of sealed enclosure (0.5 cu ft) can be placed under front seat (by extending the enclosure 3-4 inch outside seat back as we are a family of 3 members).

My query is:
1. Will you recommend to produce the sealed enclosure with 12mm (0.47 inch) plywood with correct reinforcement from inside, as it will further help to lower enclosure height and is with me already and, instead of the recommended 0.625-0.75 inch mdf?

2. Can I place the subwoofer upside firing without making the seated person uncomfortable due to bass?

3. If upside firing will make the passenger uncomfortable, is it fine to place the subwoofer downside firing considering subwoofer's long term good shape? How much gap should be there between floor and subwoofer?

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

I have the same car and here are my recommendations.

1. Damp as much of the car as you can, even if you have to do it in stages. I have damped the roof, doors, floor and the boot lid. Only the boot floor and walls remain. You will be amazed how good your system will start sounding. Damping the roof will reduce the sound of the rain and damping the floor will reduce road noise.

2. Since you are a family of just 3 I would highly recommend going for a proper subwoofer in a sealed box in the boot as this will still give you enough luggage space. The under seat ones will never be satisfying enough especially since it will be an aftermarket enclosure and not one by JL Audio. Also, the problem you said about vibrations from under the seat will be prominent and also it will be too close to either the floor or the seat. I have a cut out in the rear armrest which allows the bass to come into the cabin even better which gets hidden when the rest is folded back up.

3. Plan a 5 channel amp for the entire system. This will mean you need just 1 wiring kit and it will power the 4 speakers and the subwoofer. This will take your speakers sound to the next level. My front components are also JL Audio's older base series which I had got in 2015 and used in my previous car the SX4 and they still sound amazing being just 50 watts rms.

4. I use the same HU and I use hi res flac files in a pen drive and if I'm streaming from BT I use Apple Music. This will also make a big difference in the experience.

Last edited by straight6 : 12th February 2024 at 21:18.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 21:36   #14422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Hi,

I have the same car and here are my recommendations.

1. Damp as much of the car as you can, even if you have to do it in stages. I have damped the roof, doors, floor and the boot lid. Only the boot floor and walls remain. You will be amazed how good your system will start sounding. Damping the roof will reduce the sound of the rain and damping the floor will reduce road noise.

2. Since you are a family of just 3 I would highly recommend going for a proper subwoofer in a sealed box in the boot as this will still give you enough luggage space. The under seat ones will never be satisfying enough especially since it will be an aftermarket enclosure and not one by JL Audio. Also, the problem you said about vibrations from under the seat will be prominent and also it will be too close to either the floor or the seat. I have a cut out in the rear armrest which allows the bass to come into the cabin even better which gets hidden when the rest is folded back up.

3. Plan a 5 channel amp for the entire system. This will mean you need just 1 wiring kit and it will power the 4 speakers and the subwoofer. This will take your speakers sound to the next level. My front components are also JL Audio's older base series which I had got in 2015 and used in my previous car the SX4 and they still sound amazing being just 50 watts rms.

4. I use the same HU and I use hi res flac files in a pen drive and if I'm streaming from BT I use Apple Music. This will also make a big difference in the experience.
Thank you very very much for such a detailed reply, which I really was looking for. Now I am very clear about the purchase (12 inch in sealed enclosure).

Yes I am definitely going to damp all 6 sides of car and may be that is the reason I haven't installed an amplifier for door speakers yet.

I use paid subscription of Saavn app and it gives very good quality audio output. I also did liked amazon prime (paid subscription) audio quality which I had used once while being with my brother. I also have FLAC files downloaded into pen drive, although tiny collection as it is very difficult to get over internet. Talking about Apple music, I tried very hard, but the payment mode issue always kept me away from using it. Still I will try once again.

Folks, I am very new to premium speakers. So need suggestion for 12 inch subwoofer model in price range 25,000 to 30,000 for tight sounding bass? I am not looking for very loud bass and I think won't need too considering the small size of car. (I have a mono amp purchased already - Sony XM GS-100)

Last edited by S1200 : 13th February 2024 at 21:55.
Old 14th February 2024, 02:10   #14423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1200 View Post
Thank you very very much for such a detailed reply, which I really was looking for. Now I am very clear about the purchase (12 inch in sealed enclosure).

Yes I am definitely going to damp all 6 sides of car and may be that is the reason I haven't installed an amplifier for door speakers yet.

I use paid subscription of Saavn app and it gives very good quality audio output. I also did liked amazon prime (paid subscription) audio quality which I had used once while being with my brother. I also have FLAC files downloaded into pen drive, although tiny collection as it is very difficult to get over internet. Talking about Apple music, I tried very hard, but the payment mode issue always kept me away from using it. Still I will try once again.

Folks, I am very new to premium speakers. So need suggestion for 12 inch subwoofer model in price range 25,000 to 30,000 for tight sounding bass? I am not looking for very loud bass and I think won't need too considering the small size of car. (I have a mono amp purchased already - Sony XM GS-100)
To sign up for Apple Music you need to do it on the pc or laptop and then sign in from the phone. Make sure you enter all fields of address or else it wont let you go ahead to the payment screen. None of the others you mentioned have better than 320 kbps quality for premium. I was using Spotify for the last 2 years paying yearly and even that is 320 kbps.

The amp you have does 600 rms @ 2 ohms so no point going for any sub handling more than 600 rms. The budget you have kept for a sub is too much for your requirement. Some of my suggestions would be Pioneer tsw1212D4 (500 rms), Pioneer tsw3003D4 (600 rms), Nakamichi NSW-Z1206D4-II (600 rms), Sony XS-W124ES (500 rms).

I would suggest using the rest of your sub budget for damping apart from doors.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 16:45   #14424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
To sign up for Apple Music you need to do it on the pc or laptop and then sign in from the phone. Make sure you enter all fields of address or else it wont let you go ahead to the payment screen. None of the others you mentioned have better than 320 kbps quality for premium. I was using Spotify for the last 2 years paying yearly and even that is 320 kbps.

The amp you have does 600 rms @ 2 ohms so no point going for any sub handling more than 600 rms. The budget you have kept for a sub is too much for your requirement. Some of my suggestions would be Pioneer tsw1212D4 (500 rms), Pioneer tsw3003D4 (600 rms), Nakamichi NSW-Z1206D4-II (600 rms), Sony XS-W124ES (500 rms).

I would suggest using the rest of your sub budget for damping apart from doors.
Thank you very much!

I tried Apple Music today again.
At the first time, I had added UPI payment method. Since then, the payment process doesn't go forward. Today also, it is not going ahead of "Payment Method Confirmation" page. I think I will need to change payment method to a card which will need an apple device. I will need to find an apple guy but now will do the search positively.

Regarding the subwoofer, I had ordered JL Audio shallow subwoofer (10 inch TW3 model) with a trusted online supplier on 8th of this month, which arrived today. Being this model is low running and was specially ordered for me (the supplier made it available from the factory), it is not returnable (of course for the exchange with other model despite I am willing to bear his losses during shipping). Looks like I have made the purchase in a hurry. Let's enjoy 10 inch JL Audio subwoofer.
Old 9th March 2024, 08:15   #14425

Hi Everyone,

I was looking to give my 2018 Ford Freestyle an ICE upgrade(instead of giving in to an itch for an upgrade) and was looking for some suggestions.

Based on my read of some of the threads and replies on the post I deduced I will need to add the following for a decent upgrade:
1. Front component speakers
2. Coaxials will do for the rear
3. DSP + Amp
4. Underseat subwoofer if possible
5. Damping

I was thinking of an overall budget of 50-60k and talked to two Bangalore ICE shops mentioned on Team-BHP(Evo and Top gear). I am looking for advice on two things:

1. Some suggestions on the products
2. Any additional shops in Bangalore which are good in member's experience. I found the Team-BHP directory for ICE in Bangalore to be quite outdated. From the directory, it seems that most of us Bangaloreans are more interested in a shiny car as evidenced by higher number of threads on PPF or detailing
Old 10th March 2024, 16:46   #14426
Senior - BHPian

Finally went with a dual sub setup and wow this is exactly what I needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20240304_231213.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20240305_204919.jpg  

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_20240305_223345.jpg  

Most Viewed