Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2013, 18:52   #12121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
I have a Pioneer unit installed in my WagonR. What kind of cable can I use for the aux input?
What is the model number of the Pioneer HU that you have?

I think you are referring to the cable to connect your phone's EP socket to the Aux-in. This is a simple cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack on both ends. I am assuming your phone has a 3.5mm socket (check the phone manual), since some phones used to come with a 2.5mm socket earlier.
Old 23rd May 2013, 18:56   #12122
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What is the model number of the Pioneer HU that you have?
I don't know offhand, and the car isn't at home right now.

Quote:
I think you are referring to the cable to connect your phone's EP socket to the Aux-in. This is a simple cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack on both ends. I am assuming your phone has a 3.5mm socket (check the phone manual), since some phones used to come with a 2.5mm socket earlier.
Yes, that is just what I'm referring to, and it does have a 3.5mm socket!
What cable could I use? Is any 3.5mm cable fine or should I pick up something specific?
Old 23rd May 2013, 19:37   #12123
Senior - BHPian

How can I get USB/Aux functionality added to my basic Sony CD player/FM Radio HU. It does has an 'AUX' mode.

Also my system's FM radio has gone kaput, no sound comes when a station is selected, a person dealing with servicing of head units told me that it is internal circuit board problem and he had to open the unit but I refused. But the CDs play fine.

Please suggest on both issues.

Additional details - System has four sony speakers (two coaxials on parcel tray and two on dashboard) and a Kicker Basstube powered by Sony two channel Amplifier.
Old 23rd May 2013, 19:45   #12124
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Pioneer unit installed in my WagonR. What kind of cable can I use for the aux input?
Any 3.5 mm Auxilary cable would do. Try the ones from Belkin, very high quality and doesn't hamper the sound quality as much as a regular Chinese one would do. Priced at Rs. 399.
Old 23rd May 2013, 19:50   #12125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Any 3.5 mm Auxilary cable would do. Try the ones from Belkin, very high quality and doesn't hamper the sound quality as much as a regular Chinese one would do. Priced at Rs. 399.
Do you have any idea where I could get one? I know we are in different cities, but if you have any idea, it would be great!
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:14   #12126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
How can I get USB/Aux functionality added to my basic Sony CD player/FM Radio HU. It does has an 'AUX' mode. ...
Short of doing the modifications yourself (do check the relevant threads in the DIY section), I haven't seen anything ready made that would do the job.

Quote:
Do you have any idea where I could get one? ...
Try Reliance or Croma.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 01:01   #12127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
How can I get USB/Aux functionality added to my basic Sony CD player/FM Radio HU. It does has an 'AUX' mode.
If it has an AUX mode, but no Aux port on the faceplate, then in all probability it will have RCA Aux input at the rear. Please check for the same. If there is, you can use a cable similar to this. Quality could be a suspect with the cheap ones though. Pay a little more and buy a good one.

As for USB, check the link given below.

Quote:
Short of doing the modifications yourself (do check the relevant threads in the DIY section), I haven't seen anything ready made that would do the job.
Actually, it is not so difficult. These are abundant in the market and quite cheap too. Easy to use and does both Aux and USB (in fact even SD card). I won't vouch for the SQ though.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 24th May 2013 at 01:03.
Old 24th May 2013, 07:18   #12128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
... Actually, it is not so difficult. These are abundant ...
Do you realise this needs FM to work, and the FM radio section is kaput in his HU? And yes, the less said the better about the SQ of these units. Even the ubiquitous "taxi-wala" FM/Aux-in/USB/SD-card HUs costing 2K are miles ahead.
Old 24th May 2013, 08:32   #12129
BHPian

Quote:
Do you realise this needs FM to work, and the FM radio section is kaput in his HU?
Uh oh.. okay.. ummm..

Quote:
And yes, the less said the better about the SQ of these units. Even the ubiquitous "taxi-wala" FM/Aux-in/USB/SD-card HUs costing 2K are miles ahead.
Yes that is true. It is for someone who wants the USB functionality in his car and does not care two pence about SQ.
Old 24th May 2013, 13:48   #12130
BHPian

Quote:
I was bang on with my guess then! I knew car cupid the minute I read RF, though the Car Cupid guy is good, he has this attraction to RF, have met him a few times for some BassFX rings. I am happy that you had a good experience with Car Cupid, but he is heavily over priced.

Try going to BAFNA Car Accessories, the owner Dhanesh bhai is extremely passionate about ICE and his installers are, though not very good, but above average. I am in no ways related to him commercially, but I visit him quite often. His pricing is genuine, but be warned about ending up with something that has been manufactured by Focal, that's his favourite brand, I like it too, though.

Also Poona Motors is good, but again high pricing and too many options which are confusing, good installers though.
I had went to Bafna. He suggested JBL first to me. When I told him JBL is bit pricky to ears , he suggested me his favorite Focal and that too with AMP only. It was just 5 minutes discussion but this guy looked disinterested in my queries when I said no to JBL. When I was checking his installers working , out of curiosity I asked them to give an audition of Focal , they simply refused. thats why I said Typical Puneite attitude.

Yes. Car Cupid may be over priced but as I said after visiting 3-4 shops I felt he was more interested in what I am looking for. He was not pushing for RF. When I told him what are other option than JBL , he suggested Kicker, Blaupankt, Infinity. I heard Kicker , Infinity and JBL, RF. I found RF good than other 3.
So I feel even though my system is bit pricey it is as per my satisfaction. His installers did a good job. They were not at all frustrated by my presence and my queries.
Even Car Cupid guy gave a lot of time to tune the system. He even asked to change the setting of my rear speaker once when he felt something not upto the mark which I could not recognize..

How is my System/Speakers? Pls give feedback / further suggestion to make it better.

HU - Pioneer DEH - 3590UI - Rs.5950/- with Aux , Ipod/Pad connectivity, 5 Band Graphic Eq., 3 RAC out put - Further Upgrade with Amp is possible.

Front Speakers-RockFord Fosgate Prime Full Range Components R16-S - Rs.7550/- with 6 inch Speakers placed in door and Tweeters placed on A Pillar.
Rare Speakers-6.5" RockFord Fosgate Prime Full Range 3 Way-R1653-Rs.3550/- These are placed in rare Door.
Wiring - Wires were part of the Speaker Box set up.
Wire Kit Couplers - Rs.248/-
Speaker Harness - Rs.177/-
MDF Rings - 4 Nos - Rs. 400/-
Aux Cable - Rs.80/-
NO Blue Tooth - I prefer my Jabra Blue Tooth placed in Ear than taking call with music System.
NO Damping done yet - It is Future plan
Fitting Charges - Rs.300/-

Total Cost is Rs. 17955/-
Old 24th May 2013, 15:00   #12131
BHPian

I would need some advice on connections (preferred)

1. Should the connections from the HU to the amp go via RCA or would the High Level inputs do the same job? Reason for this question is I have a PnP Harness that goes to the THA 555 PnP. The new Alpine HU gives me 4V Pre-Outs. Would there be any difference in SQ with RCA vs High Level Inputs? If RCA is the way to go, can anyone advise on the cables (5m) (brands) I need to buy?

2. Alpine HU has a 'Power IC' function which when ON the HU drives the speakers and when OFF turns in inbuilt amplifier is switched OFF and the output is from the RCA. If I use the High Level input to power the amp, with Power IC setting ON, will the Sub Out still be available from the HU via RCA?. The reason I need Sub-out is to be able to control the Sub from the HU. I lost the remote sub woofer control adapter from Blaupunkt
Old 24th May 2013, 16:22   #12132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
I had went to Bafna. He suggested JBL first to me. When I told him JBL is bit pricky to ears , he suggested me his favorite Focal and that too with AMP only...... [/b]
I am happy that you had a decent dealing with Car Cupid, if you want to visit Bafna again, drop me a PM, I am sure I can get you a good deal and hell lot of attention.
About Focals with Amps, he was right, Focals sound very mediocre without amps, throw in an appropriate amplifier and see the magic.
If you want a Solid 4 or a Solid 1, PM me!
But forget the dealer, lets come to the set-up, I am no guru and my set up is in the same league as yours, just little more expensive.
First is the placement of the tweeter, I would trust most installers in Pune to do it wrong, I suggest you put up a pic and gurus would suggest the best tweeter position, on-axis and off-axis make a lot of difference, I know because i've fiddled a lot with my tweeters, I strongly suggest you get an amp, RF makes some very nice amps, have been doing an extensive research for my upgrade, and a lot of ICE geeks say that RF amps are very competent, adding a Subwoofer makes even more +ve difference but an amp is a must.

Believe me the day you get an amp, you will regret not getting it in the first place. Just keep in mind to buy an amp with a little headroom i.e. the RMS output of the amp should be little over the RMS power handling of your set of speakers, that way the speakers get cleaner signals because the amp doesn't need to reach its peak to supply enough power to the speakers.
About the quality of the amp, I suggest stick to brands above JBL and Pioneer, I am running a Focal Solid 4, not too much but clean power!
And always remember there is more to ICE equipment than just RMS. But that's for true audiophile, we are way far off now.

Btw I am visiting car cupid today to enquire about an RF amp, maybe we can catch up! what say?

Quote:
Do you have any idea where I could get one? I know we are in different cities, but if you have any idea, it would be great!
Try stores like Croma, Reliance Digital, or an Apple store, I bought mine from an Apple store, though I don't have it anymore, my sister took it because she liked way it looked, and I anyways hardly use the Aux port! Hampers music quality!

Last edited by 599gto : 24th May 2013 at 16:49.
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 16:31   #12133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bush View Post
... 1. Should the connections from the HU to the amp go via RCA or would the High Level inputs do the same job? ...
Though there is very little qualitative difference if you use a good LoC, it is always preferable to use the RCA Pre-out provided by the HU (less possibility of noise and you save on cost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bush View Post
... 2. Alpine HU has a 'Power IC' function which when ON the HU drives the speakers and when OFF turns in inbuilt amplifier is switched OFF and the output is from the RCA. If I use the High Level input to power the amp, with Power IC setting ON, will the Sub Out still be available from the HU via RCA?. ...
Yes it will, since Pre-out (RCA) is tapped before the HU amp.

Does the Alpine have only 2 Pre-outs or what? In 2 Pre-out Pio HUs, the rear Pre-out can be switched to Sub-out. If there are 3 Pre-outs, don't bother with LoC connected to HL outputs.
Old 24th May 2013, 17:05   #12134
BHPian

Quote:
... if you want to visit Bafna again, drop me a PM, I am sure I can get you a good deal and hell lot of attention.
....If you want a Solid 4 or a Solid 1, PM me! But forget the dealer, lets come to the set-up, I am no guru and my set up is in the same league as yours, just little more expensive.
First is the placement of the tweeter, I would trust most installers in Pune to do it wrong, I suggest you put up a pic and gurus would suggest the best tweeter position, on-axis and off-axis make a lot of difference, I know because i've fiddled a lot with my tweeters, I strongly suggest you get an amp, RF makes some very nice amps, have been doing an extensive research for my upgrade, and a lot of ICE geeks say that RF amps are very competent, adding a Subwoofer makes even more +ve difference but an amp is a must.
Believe me the day you get an amp, you will regret not getting it in the first place. Just keep in mind to buy an amp with a little headroom i.e. the RMS output of the amp should be little over the RMS power handling of your set of speakers, that way the speakers get cleaner signals because the amp doesn't need to reach its peak to supply enough power to the speakers.
About the quality of the amp, I suggest stick to brands above JBL and Pioneer, I am running a Focal Solid 4, not too much but clean power!
And always remember there is more to ICE equipment than just RMS. But that's for true audiophile, we are way far off now.

Btw I am visiting car cupid today to enquire about an RF amp, maybe we can catch up! what say?
Thanks 599GTO for the help. Sure I want to upgrade with AMP and Damping but in near future. I will surely take your suggestion before going for AMP.
Tweeters , I would post pics but the placement of tweeters was my idea rather than Car Cupid. He suggested me tweeter to put on 1) doors near the Lock/Unlock /Door open knob. 2) On Dash near the vent for the side mirror glass is placed. Here I asked him to put them on A pillar. If the placement is wrong then I will get them change.

What Time u are coming? I can come now in next 20mins as my office is near University Circle. After 6.15 I have an appointment with Doctor and that will take my time till 9.00pm . If not today , tomorrow afternoon or evening? My no is 9860137007 .
Old 24th May 2013, 17:14   #12135
BHPian

Quote:
Though there is very little qualitative difference if you use a good LoC, it is always preferable to use the RCA Pre-out provided by the HU (less possibility of noise and you save on cost)
My current setup in my Punto is Stock HU and a Blaupunkt THA 555 PnP. I am replacing the HU with Alpine CDE-147BT. So, I assume for a better SQ I would need RCA cables running from HU to the amp. I was trying to save on buying RCA cables, but I guess it is better with them after all. With the money I have put in so far, I guess RCA cables (6 channels) wont hurt much.

More on my DIY here

Quote:
Yes it will, since Pre-out (RCA) is tapped before the HU amp.

Does the Alpine have only 2 Pre-outs or what? In 2 Pre-out Pio HUs, the rear Pre-out can be switched to Sub-out. If there are 3 Pre-outs, don't bother with LoC connected to HL outputs.
The new Alpine HU has 3 pre-outs. I was wondering in case I use the High level inputs for amplifying FR, FL, RR and RL channels with the Power IC - ON, on the HU, will I still be able to use an RCA out from HU to amp and be able to control the sub.

I know my question might be a little confusing, but let me know if I can explain better

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks