Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 11:19   #12766
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
I have a getz gls 2005 petrol and it has a single DIN Kenwood HU..My budget is fairly tight with 5k.

1)Do all cars have the same DIN compatibility?

2)My front door speakers don't work for some reason(used to though), loose connectivity maybe?

3)I found this http://www.snapdeal.com/product/sony...dsx/1757972295 - Can anyone tell me if this is good? I get 2 coaxial speakers too(And again, I don't know what coaxial speakers are)
1. Yes DIN is a standard. 1 DIN is typically 2" x 7" x about 6.5" depth and 2 DIN is 4" x 7" x about 6.5" depth.

2. You can have any car audio garage check the connections of your current speakers.

3. Sony makes very ordinary stereo, at TBHP we do not recommend it but for the price it looks like a good deal.

I don't know how dot-coms work so I don't know how they will provide installation service. My guess is they will sub contract it to a local person. AS snap deal says in their small print "27) Snapdeal.com is not liable for the installation services provided"

http://i4.sdlcdn.com/img/storefront/...rms&conditions

I understand 5K is a very limited budget, I don't know if you want to consider building your system in stages as and when budgets allow. This will enable you to get high quality products in the long run.
Old 15th January 2015, 00:08   #12767
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

I'm on the stock setup on my Honda Civic as of now. 4 speakers and 2 tweeters. It ain't bad but nothing much to write about.

I'm on a very tight budget, the car being more than 8 years old and other issues like suspension etc need my money, so I'm looking to build a good system but in stages. I ultimately want good components on the front, a sub and a decent amp. I mostly listen to metal and EDM. Prefer to keep the stock HU.

As of now, I can't get all that in one go. So what can I add now, that'll enhance the sound? More bass if possible.
Can I just add a sub as of now? Or is it better to start with the speakers first?
Old 16th January 2015, 13:49   #12768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
... Can I just add a sub as of now? Or is it better to start with the speakers first?
Adding a sub to the stock system will make the sound worse. First change front speakers to a good pair of components, then add an amp and sub. You will need a 4 channel amp, 2 channels to drive front components and 2 to drive the sub.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 16:18   #12769
BHPian

I have shortlisted the following models for compos :-
1. Alpine SPS-610C
2. MB Quart DC1-216
3. Polk Audio db6501
4. JL Audio C3-650
5. Kicker CSS65

All these have RMS power ranging from 80-100 W. Please suggest which ones would be best for SQ setup?
For amp I was thinking of Blaupunkt GTA-470DSP, it gives 70W per channel at 4 ohms which should be good for compos but I am still skeptical about using the bridged channels for Sub . Please suggest.

Last edited by ricky_1605 : 16th January 2015 at 16:19.
Old 16th January 2015, 19:24   #12770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
I have shortlisted the following models for compos :-
1. Alpine SPS-610C
2. MB Quart DC1-216
3. Polk Audio db6501
4. JL Audio C3-650
5. Kicker CSS65

All these have RMS power ranging from 80-100 W. Please suggest which ones would be best for SQ setup?
For amp I was thinking of Blaupunkt GTA-470DSP, it gives 70W per channel at 4 ohms which should be good for compos but I am still skeptical about using the bridged channels for Sub . Please suggest.
I've never experienced or auditioned MB Quart and JL Audio products, so cant comment on those.
Out of the other three, going by the sound signatures, I think the Alpine set would be a good choice.

But if you're looking at out and out SQ, then I think you'll have to look further than these brands.

My first set up was powered off a Focal Solid 4, with the front channels powering the components(70 Watts RMS) and the rear two channels bridged to provide power to a sub woofer(200 Watts RMS). And in an hatchback the set up sounded good.

You will definitely not feel the lack of power if your car is a hatchback and the amplifier gives out anything around 200 Watts RMS (2 channels bridged) to the sub woofer!

Last edited by 599gto : 16th January 2015 at 19:29.
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 20:04   #12771
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

So what do you folks recommend for a very musical foot tapping and lively two channel amp to pair with an L+R RF 6.5" speakers? I am looking for a 200W RMS amp.

Thanks
R
Old 17th January 2015, 08:56   #12772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Adding a sub to the stock system will make the sound worse. First change front speakers to a good pair of components, then add an amp and sub. You will need a 4 channel amp, 2 channels to drive front components and 2 to drive the sub.
My total budget for the setup is around 20k. I'm looking to add a JBL sub and an amp at a later stage. Excluding the cost of that, means i've got around 8-10k for changing the front and rear speakers.

Although i'm well versed with a car's mechanicals, Im a total noob when it comes to car audio setup. So a couple of questions:

1. The front need to be components and co-axials for the rear?
2. Any specific component speakers that are recommended for starters? Keeping in mind that I plan to add a 1150 JBL sub and a 4 channel amp at a later stage? Min wattage that i need to keep in mind?
Old 17th January 2015, 10:10   #12773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
So what do you folks recommend for a very musical foot tapping and lively two channel amp to pair with an L+R RF 6.5" speakers? I am looking for a 200W RMS amp. ...
1. Why 2 channel amp (considering they are not VFM a.c.t. 4 channel amps)?

2. Why 200W RMS? Per channel or Total capability?

Quote:
1. Alpine SPS-610C
2. MB Quart DC1-216
3. Polk Audio db6501
4. JL Audio C3-650
5. Kicker CSS65

1. Have you auditioned these speakers? If not, that is the first thing you should do forgetting about the power rating.

I would (personal opinion) rate the JL Audio and MB Quart as the most well rounded ones, followed by the Polk. Alpine SPS and Kicker are quite pedestrian not VFM at their price.

Why are you skeptical about using bridged channels to drive the sub? If you are worried about the power that would be put out, don't worry - it is enough for driving a sub at SQ levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
... 8-10k for changing the front and rear speakers.

1. The front need to be components and co-axials for the rear?

2. Any specific component speakers that are recommended for starters? ... Min wattage that i need to keep in mind?
Good enough.

1. Yes
2. There are quite a few brands and models of components in the 6k range - Infinity, Polk, JBL, Bull, Morel, Kicker, Auditor etc. the best method will be to check with dealers and audition.
Don't worry about wattage.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 12:33   #12774
BHPian

Gurus! Need some help for upgrading the Head Unit in my Fiat Punto Active.

I had already upgraded to Rockford components in the front and co-axials in the rear last year. I'm looking to replace the stock HU now and looking at a single DIN HU with bluetooth, preferably.

My budget is around 7-8K, but I'll be happy if it ends up on the lower end!

I'm looking at the Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT and the Pioneer DEH X-6690BT. The 420BT is cheaper, at 6.5K, while the 6690 is available for 7.3K. Which one of these should I go with. Also, any other HU's I can consider?

Last edited by Abh1nav : 17th January 2015 at 12:34.
Old 18th January 2015, 17:47   #12775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
I've never experienced or auditioned MB Quart and JL Audio products, so cant comment on those.
Out of the other three, going by the sound signatures, I think the Alpine set would be a good choice.

But if you're looking at out and out SQ, then I think you'll have to look further than these brands.

My first set up was powered off a Focal Solid 4, with the front channels powering the components(70 Watts RMS) and the rear two channels bridged to provide power to a sub woofer(200 Watts RMS). And in an hatchback the set up sounded good.

You will definitely not feel the lack of power if your car is a hatchback and the amplifier gives out anything around 200 Watts RMS (2 channels bridged) to the sub woofer!
I paid a visit to a known guy for audio setup here in Delhi (Motor Concept). The problem I am facing is that I went there with my shortlisted compos list and after talking to the guy he suggested me Rainbow & Morel Maxximo compos in the same price range. Now I haven't heard much about them. Also, he suggested Lightning Audio amplifier which is completely new brand to me. Now I think the starting point should be amplifier and then match compos and sub with it. What do you say? Let me know if you have heard of Rainbow, Morel & Lightning Audio brands?

Quote:
Have you auditioned these speakers? If not, that is the first thing you should do forgetting about the power rating.

I would (personal opinion) rate the JL Audio and MB Quart as the most well rounded ones, followed by the Polk. Alpine SPS and Kicker are quite pedestrian not VFM at their price.

Why are you skeptical about using bridged channels to drive the sub? If you are worried about the power that would be put out, don't worry - it is enough for driving a sub at SQ levels.
Sir, the guys I visited doesn't have JL Audio & MB Quart. He does have Polk, Rainbow & Morels for compos in my budget. Also, can you please tell me how are the amps made by Lightning Audio? because I'll finalise the amp first and then I can audition different compos & subs to match with it. If not, then please suggest a good a 4 channel amp for SQ setup.
Old 18th January 2015, 21:11   #12776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... the guys I visited doesn't have JL Audio & MB Quart. He does have Polk, Rainbow & Morels for compos in my budget. Also, can you please tell me how are the amps made by Lightning Audio? because I'll finalize the amp first and then I can audition different compos & subs to match with it. If not, then please suggest a good a 4 channel amp for SQ setup.
* Polk, Rainbow and Morel are known good brands. Anyhow, what should matter is your judgement after auditioning, AND local A.S.S. support. It is on this point that I would stay away from Lightning Audio, whatever it's sound signature may be
* Finalize the components first after auditioning
* JBL X646/644, Kenwood KAC-M846, Pioneer GM6500F - these companies have good local A.S.S. in India
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 22:39   #12777
BHPian

Quote:
I paid a visit to a known guy for audio setup here in Delhi (Motor Concept). The problem I am facing is that I went there with my shortlisted compos list and after talking to the guy he suggested me Rainbow & Morel Maxximo compos in the same price range. Now I haven't heard much about them. Also, he suggested Lightning Audio amplifier which is completely new brand to me. Now I think the starting point should be amplifier and then match compos and sub with it. What do you say? Let me know if you have heard of Rainbow, Morel & Lightning Audio brands?
Morel and Rainbow both are very well known and widely sold/discussed ICE brands, while both brands have a laid back and SQ oriented sound signature, Rainbow products are better all rounders and decent VFM.

I have heard of Lightening Audio as a brand but I have never come across any product of theirs.

About selecting speakers according to an amplifier, if I were you, I would do it the other way round. Select the best speakers in my budget, or even surpass my budget by a few thousands, and then look for a suitable amplifier which complements the speakers and gives them ample power to perform properly. A little head room is always welcome, say if your speakers are rated at 100 watts RMS, an amp with 110 watts RMS per channel would be ideal, but again thats not a compulsion!

The Morel Maxximo, Morel Tempo, Rainbow DL series are all very good component sets.

The Rainbow iPaul 4.300 is a very good amp, go for it if your budget permits, retails for around 30k! It is good on SQ and upgrade proof, it will drive any set components you throw at it with ease.

Lower down the budget the look at Digital Designs amps, the A4 and A5 in particular. Even the JBL GTO 804E is a good four channel amp for 10k Rs.

What about the Head Unit, and what kind of budget are you working around?!?!?
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 23:06   #12778
BHPian

Advice needed!

I am looking for a touch screen HU for my swift.

Requirements : Decent SQ, Mirror link facility, Reverse camera and not too laggy interface.

What is your opinion about the Sony XAV-612bt. What are the other alternative in that range?

Thanks in advance
Old 19th January 2015, 14:58   #12779
BHPian

Quote:
* Polk, Rainbow and Morel are known good brands. Anyhow, what should matter is your judgement after auditioning, AND local A.S.S. support. It is on this point that I would stay away from Lightning Audio, whatever it's sound signature may be
* Finalize the components first after auditioning
* JBL X646/644, Kenwood KAC-M846, Pioneer GM6500F - these companies have good local A.S.S. in India
Aman at Motor Concept told me that Lightning Audio is also made by Rockford Fosgate but what I couldn't understand was if it is brand by Rockford Fosgate then why is it being positioned at the same price points? Also, on searching snapdeal.com to see prices, if you search for Rockford Fosgate it shows Lightning Audio products too.

I am now waiting to audition some components

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Morel and Rainbow both are very well known and widely sold/discussed ICE brands, while both brands have a laid back and SQ oriented sound signature, Rainbow products are better all rounders and decent VFM.

I have heard of Lightening Audio as a brand but I have never come across any product of theirs.

About selecting speakers according to an amplifier, if I were you, I would do it the other way round. Select the best speakers in my budget, or even surpass my budget by a few thousands, and then look for a suitable amplifier which complements the speakers and gives them ample power to perform properly. A little head room is always welcome, say if your speakers are rated at 100 watts RMS, an amp with 110 watts RMS per channel would be ideal, but again thats not a compulsion!

The Morel Maxximo, Morel Tempo, Rainbow DL series are all very good component sets.

The Rainbow iPaul 4.300 is a very good amp, go for it if your budget permits, retails for around 30k! It is good on SQ and upgrade proof, it will drive any set components you throw at it with ease.

Lower down the budget the look at Digital Designs amps, the A4 and A5 in particular. Even the JBL GTO 804E is a good four channel amp for 10k Rs.

What about the Head Unit, and what kind of budget are you working around?!?!?
After reading about these products, it seems they are good choices. Will try and get an audition of these.

Rainbow iPaul 4.300 is completely out of budget. I will check of Digital Design amps are available here. JBL is a safe bet.

I am going to use the stock Elite i20 HU and budget is around INR 30k for Compos, Amp & Sub. Wiring & Damping extra.
Old 21st January 2015, 20:58   #12780
Senior - BHPian

Couple of question on Steering audio controls.

I am considering Toyota Etios. One of the things I don't like about this car is ICE, specially head unit.

1. Car has 2-Din unit supplied by Pioneer (make is evident from the remote, image of remote below)
2. Car has audio controls on steering in VX Model

Would it be possible to buy another pioneer unit that advertises (Learning WIRED REMOTE INPUT)
and have it work with existing audio controls ?

Do these head units have a port that accepts wired controls? Is that port standard across manufacturers.

Example of such a unit is : http://pioneer-india.in/shop/avh-x4790dvd/

Image of remote:

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-bluetooth.jpg

Most Viewed