Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2007, 15:22   #5701
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

What is the difference between a conventional antenna (for car radio) and a digital one? If a digital antenna is used instead of conventional antenna, is there any effect on the range for which the signals can be caught especially FM?

This might be quite a silly question for many of you, but I did not find an answer in the forum. Hence the post. If this has been discussed before, plaease post the link.
Old 11th April 2007, 23:31   #5702
Senior - BHPian

Am kinda decided on
* Pio 4950/4850 (2preouts bus hai) Don't care too much about ipod connectivity - 6k
* Hertz components up front 5.5k (which?)
* Hertz 6.5" rounds in the rear 5k (which?)
* later add a sub, amp

Looking comfortable for 15-18k ? Whats the biggest diff between the Hertz dsks and esks (energy) series ?
Old 12th April 2007, 00:10   #5703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Am kinda decided on
* Pio 4950/4850 (2preouts bus hai) Don't care too much about ipod connectivity - 6k
* Hertz components up front 5.5k (which?) DSK165
* Hertz 6.5" rounds in the rear 5k (which?) DCX165 (will not cost 5K actually. Will be much lesser. Not too sure of price - 4K or a bit lesser I guess).
* later add a sub, amp

Looking comfortable for 15-18k ? Whats the biggest diff between the Hertz dsks and esks (energy) series ?
Model numbers in bold, in the quoted part.

In comparison to Dieci series, the Energy series prices are:
ESK165 (6.5" 2-way comps) run to 9100/-
ECX165 (6.5" coaxials) will run to about 5800/- (Approx. price. Likely to a bit lesser).
Old 12th April 2007, 07:44   #5704
Senior - BHPian

hydrashok, thanks.
I did see the esk165s at 8700/- at Sprocket here in koramangala, so I can only save a little on those prices, which is good What, in your opinion, is the audio difference between the two series, given that I'd be paying about 5K more overall for the esk fronts+ eck rears over the diecis ?
Old 12th April 2007, 08:29   #5705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hydrashok, thanks.
I did see the esk165s at 8700/- at Sprocket here in koramangala, so I can only save a little on those prices, which is good What, in your opinion, is the audio difference between the two series, given that I'd be paying about 5K more overall for the esk fronts+ eck rears over the diecis ?
That's a good price

To me, the Energys sound more detailed and uh, "fuller" than the Diecis. I also feel that if you plan to amp the speakers sometime, you should get the Energys.

The Diecis have better sensitivity at 93dB (vs. 91dB for Energys), so if you'll only be powering speakers from the HU, maybe the Diecis will be a better bet. But again, sound output-wise I'd prefer the Energys.

I've listened to both Diecis and Energys in two Swifts back-to-back at my installer's place [both powered by the same HU (Pio 6850), and installed in the same manner], and the Energys were distinctly better midbass-wise, and detail-wise.

Nikkibike's Swift has ESK165s in front and ECX690s in the back (on an MDF tray), powered by a Pio HU (don't remember which -- 6850 I think), and they sound freakin' awesome.

If Sprocket carries both, why don't you listen to both and decide for yourself? I'm sure they will only be happy to get you to listen and possibly buy the more costlier option from them And just because the Energys are costlier it does not mean you will like their sound better than the Diecis.
Old 12th April 2007, 08:41   #5706
Senior - BHPian

hydrashok, as usual extremely helpful, and amazingly prompt response!
Sprocket didnt have the Hertz' hooked up, and didnt seem very willing to do that for a 'test'. Also, am planning to get another place (Anwar, of Auto Fusion) to do the install.

From your description, the Energys sound like what I want, but I may have a less discerning ear (and certainly more constrained budget) than you - tho I play some music and can identify basic flats and harmonics and ocatves etc - not sure about extreme levels fidelity. All I know is I need 'well rounded' sound without any individual part of it sounding too distinct - I guess the strong midrange would really help.

Hmm, so 6000 + 8700 + 5800 => 20.5k. Plus installation costs! 23 ? Phew!

Bangalore junta, do you know someplace one could hear the Hertz setup ? Esp inside a car ?
Old 12th April 2007, 09:00   #5707
Senior - BHPian

@zenx, I'll put it like this -- if budget is tight, go for the Diecis (since you've zeroed in on Hertz). Though I prefer the Energy's sound, the Dieci's sound is not lacking as such in any way, for the money spent on them. It is just that between Dieci & Energy I think Energy sounds better but they also cost more, so the sound per rupee spent ratio will be about the same, to put it in a very hazy/crazy, unmeasurable and subjective way.

But do listen to both. I mean, this is too subjective a thing to be able measure/judge by somebody else's suggestion.

If I'm not mistaken McLaren (a.k.a. Stumpy) used to have Energys in his old Zen. I think that setup got carried over to his current Baleno. No idea about Dieci installs. Anwar (AutoFusion) might be able to help you there (maybe some customer car with either of the two installed will be nearby).
Old 12th April 2007, 10:52   #5708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess the strong midrange would really help.
the JBL do have a good midrange capabliity.....do check them out if you are on a tight budget......
Old 12th April 2007, 22:09   #5709
BHPian

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but can all DVD HUs play MP3 from DVD? Blaupunkt advertises that the Long Beach DVD35 does but it costs a whopping 27K+.
Old 12th April 2007, 23:32   #5710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Sorry if this is a really stupid question but can all DVD HUs play MP3 from DVD? Blaupunkt advertises that the Long Beach DVD35 does but it costs a whopping 27K+.
You'll get the same functionality from JVC DVD HUs (they call it Giga MP3) for about 12K.
Old 13th April 2007, 14:50   #5711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
You'll get the same functionality from JVC DVD HUs (they call it Giga MP3) for about 12K.
Thanks. Had a brief look at JVC Middle East website & found many models. Some had only line output terminals. Others had audio output terminals as well. Still others had suboofer terminals also. Would it be possible to connect an amp, front components & a sub to a unit which only had 1 pair of line output terminals?
Thanks.
Old 14th April 2007, 00:27   #5712
Senior - BHPian

Amp grounding

If an amp is running an authentic 4 gauge power cable BUT uses 8 gauge for grounding is there a definate chance for clipping ? Or will it just make a weak electrical system
Old 14th April 2007, 00:33   #5713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
If an amp is running an authentic 4 gauge power cable BUT uses 8 gauge for grounding is there a definate chance for clipping ? Or will it just make a weak electrical system
firstly why 4 gauge power cable and 8 gauge ground cable??? IMHO both should be the same 4 gauge.....

and for clipping the gain setting can be the major culprit.....and what are you running on the amp....I think 4 speakers......
Old 14th April 2007, 00:53   #5714
Senior - BHPian

Your right LBM this is regarding my friends setup that I had asked about sometime ago. The amp is a 2 channel "power acoustik, ps2" running 4 speakers

Anyway I didnt get a chance to help in the work as he went one of the car accessory wallahs and as soon as the install was over it is shwoing the problems of Alternator whine and amp clipping. Also instead of connecting the speakers in series my friend says that the front right/rear right are directly wired to a single channel and similarly front left/rear left to a channel. It seems the gain is set to hardly 15%. The RCA's are the new MX ones

Temporarily told him to disconnect the sound so that the speaker does not blow.. tomorrow got to check.
p.s : also he is not sure but he says to fit the 4ga to the amps power terminal so they cut off half the strands as it was too fat.. this is dangerous right

Last edited by s0uljah : 14th April 2007 at 00:57.
Old 14th April 2007, 01:01   #5715
Senior - BHPian

the amps is giving 370 x 2 at 2 ohms....if it giving such power you are bound to blow your speakers if played at high volumes....and why are you using this amp for the speakers....this amp is meant to play subs because of the power ratings.....

anyways try it again but with switching on the HPF on the amp and setting it to above 80 hz....if it can be done as the webpage show the least is 150 hz.....or enable it thorugh the HU....

and for whine try any other RCA....just temp to check that it is not faulty......and the HU ground connection....as it can also be the culprit.....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 14th April 2007 at 01:03.

Most Viewed