Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2017, 15:41   #13501
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
There has got to be some mechanical source for that noise. I assume at higher levels of music the noise is just not audible.

Please check that the rubber glue that attaches the surround to the gasket has not dried up. Sometimes this happens and the rubber surround flaps against the gasket.
Will check and report.
Old 8th June 2017, 01:07   #13502
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Will check and report.
It could be elsewhere in the chain as well.
Assuming your left midbass is the issue, swap it with the right midbass to confirm the issue is with the speaker.
If on swapping, the problem only remains on the left side, the problem lies elsewhere.

Trace back only the problematic channel down the chain. Sometimes it could be as simple as lose wiring, a dirty or a failing gain pot on the amp if you are using one, or some issue with the left channel of the Head Unit.
gkannan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 17:28   #13503
Distinguished - BHPian

Headphone amplifiers for Car HU ?

My A-Star has an OE Stock HU, with only an Aux-In port. If I want to use a music player, then the output from the player's headphone jack is such that the play back on the HU is quite low. Is there any way to amplify the signals to the HU ? Some kind of amplifier ?
Old 8th June 2017, 17:42   #13504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

My A-Star has an OE Stock HU, with only an Aux-In port. If I want to use a music player, then the output from the player's headphone jack is such that the play back on the HU is quite low. Is there any way to amplify the signals to the HU ? Some kind of amplifier ?
I might entirely make a fool of myself by suggesting this but on my phone the headphone volume levels would always reduce to 50% after being plugged in. You have to manually increase the volume and the phone also warns with a message that I might damage my ears if I raise the headphones' volume to max.
So, please see for once if after plugging in an aux cable to the phone (source), not only do you set the HU volume to your desired levels, but phone volume levels to max too.
Old 8th June 2017, 17:56   #13505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
So, please see for once if after plugging in an aux cable to the phone (source), not only do you set the HU volume to your desired levels, but phone volume levels to max too.
The problem is the volume when having to switch to Radio.
Old 9th June 2017, 07:23   #13506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

The headphone outputs from music players are designed to drive earphones/headphones. Their output sensitivity is quite low.
You can use a high gain preamp between the music player and the HU, but that is likely to only increase the noise floor.
Old 13th June 2017, 11:15   #13507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
It could be elsewhere in the chain as well.
Assuming your left midbass is the issue, swap it with the right midbass to confirm the issue is with the speaker.
If on swapping, the problem only remains on the left side, the problem lies elsewhere.

Trace back only the problematic channel down the chain. Sometimes it could be as simple as lose wiring, a dirty or a failing gain pot on the amp if you are using one, or some issue with the left channel of the Head Unit.
Thanks a lot.

Found the problem and eliminated it.

The amplifier driving the mids was the culprit. Disconnected it, and moved the mids to the hertz HCP4 which had been driving the tweeters. The mids have started playing normally, though will have to scout for a higher power amp now. Any pointers?
Old 13th June 2017, 11:54   #13508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Has any one tried mirroring their their iphone/android to a headunit which does not support mirrorlink?

If any of you have undertaken a similar activity, could you please share the RCA to HDMI cable/adapter you bought. There seem to be many available online however the reviews are not very comforting.

Best,
Enigmaitc
An update.

I did some reading and found that many HDMI to Composite wires don't actually work since 'active electronics' are involved in converting HDMI signals to Composite signals. So one needs to get a HDMI to Composite converter box and then attach all the wires to it. However my main issue with a HDMI to Composite converter box was that it requires a separate power input (micro usb). This would end up messing the install with too many wires going around. So after some more reading, I came across a HDMI to Composite wire by Medialinx which actually works but was not available in India. As luck would have it, my sister was flying down from US and along with her came the cables. I also ordered an Apple Lightning AV Adapter for connecting the HDMI cable to my iPhone (the lightning adapter is available in India however it costs almost twice what one pays in US).

After getting everything installed, which was rather simple, your phone gets mirrored onto the headnuit. Applications which support Apple TV open in full screen on the headunit, other applications such as google maps open in portrait however once you tilt your phone to landscape, the application opens up in full screen on the headunit as well. I could not be happier, I finally have google maps on the headunit!

Product listing on Amazon:

Medialink - https://www.amazon.com/iSimple-ISHD0.../dp/B00LUX1F5K

Lightning Adapter - https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni...htning+adapter

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 13th June 2017 at 11:57.
Old 25th June 2017, 17:53   #13509
BHPian

I am looking to install a woofer to my stock head unit of my Ciaz Alpha.

I went to a shop and he said since the head unit does not have a Pre Out hence a RC convertor would be required and would cost 4,200. Any idea what this is?

Also can someone suggest a self powered woofer so I don't have to but a woofer and amplifier separately(saves space)?
Old 26th June 2017, 11:29   #13510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I am looking to install a woofer to my stock head unit of my Ciaz Alpha.

I went to a shop and he said since the head unit does not have a Pre Out hence a RC convertor would be required and would cost 4,200. Any idea what this is?

Also can someone suggest a self powered woofer so I don't have to but a woofer and amplifier separately(saves space)?
I think your car audio guy talked about a High level to low level converter. Typically they sell for 3-4k so the price you mentioned is about right. However do make sure that there is no alternator whine after installation. These devices can be a little sensitive (depends a lot on car model etc).

An active sub will save a little space. There are some under seat subwoofers that can fit under the passenger's seat but these do not provide LOW bass. Instead they provide a mid bass hump.

I don't remember exact models for the active subwoofers available today, but the usual suspects are Blaupunkt, Kenwood, JBL, Pioneer, Focal and a few others.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 13:25   #13511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Most entry level amps come with speaker level inputs, so not sure you need to buy one of those. For example, look at the blaupunkt EMA 255 - you can get a whole stereo amp with speaker inputs for less than the cost of the convertor
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 13:36   #13512
BHPian

Help required in Seting up ICE in SWIFT.

Hello everyone,
As the title says it all, Let me fill you guys in with my requirements. I have a 2013 Swift Vdi and I want to setup a nice audio system with keeping my budget low as this car will be used only for local purpose and my dad will be using this as well. Now what I want is a decent audio setup within 15k-20k.
- So far the car has nothing installed as of now.
- A decent Head Unit (single din will work, should have bluetooh though).
- Component Speakers
- Will 2 component speakers and a sub solve the purpose?
- OR please suggest a good setup in this budget.

Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd July 2017 at 13:44. Reason: Please use Search and continue in a relevant thread. Thanks.
Old 4th July 2017, 15:43   #13513
BHPian

Re: Help required in Seting up ICE in SWIFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh09 View Post
Hello everyone,
As the title says it all, Let me fill you guys in with my requirements. I have a 2013 Swift Vdi and I want to setup a nice audio system with keeping my budget low as this car will be used only for local purpose and my dad will be using this as well. Now what I want is a decent audio setup within 15k-20k.
- So far the car has nothing installed as of now.
- A decent Head Unit (single din will work, should have bluetooh though).
- Component Speakers
- Will 2 component speakers and a sub solve the purpose?
- OR please suggest a good setup in this budget.

Thanks
Can I please get some help on this from the guru's

Also, does anyone has any idea how is "WOODMAN DOUBLE DIN" HU's?
Old 5th July 2017, 01:08   #13514
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help required in Seting up ICE in SWIFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh09 View Post
Can I please get some help on this from the guru's

Also, does anyone has any idea how is "WOODMAN DOUBLE DIN" HU's?
In that budget you should be able to get a hu and 4 speakers. Components for the front and coaxials for the rear. Avoid Woodman.

Last edited by straight6 : 5th July 2017 at 01:11.
Old 8th July 2017, 12:48   #13515
BHPian

A couple of days back my Civic was broken into and my headunit - Prioneer AVH - X5890BT was stolen (along with the air conditioner controller). Fortunately the remaining ICE was not touched.

While the Civic is being repaired at Honda, I am now on the lookout for a new headunit.

What do you guys have to say about the Sony XAV-AX100? It comes with Car Play and Android Auto. Would it be better than the Pioneer 5890 that I had? The two apparent shortcomings of the Sony are that (i) it does not come with a CD/DVD slot, but in the 6 months that I had the Pioneer, I never used a CD/DVD so I might be okay with this; and (ii) the Sony has a screen size of 6.4 inch whereas the Pioneed was 6.95 inch, this might actually be a significant point of consideration.

Other than the above, in terms of SPL, how would you guys rate it? Please also suggest any other options I should consider.

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 8th July 2017 at 13:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks