Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:05   #14161
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitsharma359 View Post
Thank you for your reply.

I called the shop and they seem to be having a nice collection of HU/speakers/amps.
So I suggest you goto Pioneer and Sony's website for HUs. Complete specs and MRPs you can get from there and then compare prices across sites.
I've tried Kicker Audio & Rockford Fosgate and wasn't too happy. But in your budget of 8k you won't get these options. I have done my research and gambled a little basis my sound preference. I've bought Infinity (Premium version of JBL) REF 6520 Cx comps and Polk Audio DB + Coaxials.
Amps & sub woofer can always be added later but it makes sense to at least get a basic 4 channel amp like Pioneer 7000 series. Costs about 6-6.5k. Sub can be added later if you found bass lacking.
Old 2nd February 2021, 19:54   #14162
BHPian

Re: Need help in audio setup in Tata Zest

Quote:
Q3. He mentioned different kind of speaker brands which I know nothing about such as RedLine DD Audio, Unplug, Rockford , Hertz, Kicker, Blaupunkt, Infinity etc. Could audio Gurus suggest me a good pair of speakers which will go with a HU bought under Q2. Budget for speakers is around 6-8k.

Q4. Is this setup gives me room for upgrade in case I want to add amp or subwoofer in future?
If you have an ear for good music and have plans for future upgrades, then you can take it step by step - as a first step you can invest in good medium level speakers (not basic ones) and next phases as below -
  • Amplifier
  • Subwoofer
  • Damping
  • DSP

Good medium range of Speakers - MTX, Focal, Morel, JL Audio (C1 series) - do audition these if possible to check how they sound to you.
prashantuchil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 20:41   #14163
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need help in audio setup in Tata Zest

Quote:
Q4. Is this setup gives me room for upgrade in case I want to add amp or subwoofer in future?
If you want to go for a Sub, then I suggest a 5-channel amp if you can. Also, unless you really high sub-woofer type outputs, I think a sub is not required. I have a 5-channel amp + sub, but I feel the mid-ranges take care of what I want.
Old 4th February 2021, 18:02   #14164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
So I suggest you goto Pioneer and Sony's website for HUs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantuchil View Post
Good medium range of Speakers - MTX, Focal, Morel, JL Audio (C1 series) - do audition these if possible to check how they sound to you.
Thank you for your inputs. So after a lot of consideration I have decided to follow the below path:

Step 1 (Now)
Planning to go with Sony XAV-AX5500 as Head Unit (around 20K) along with Infinity REF 6530CX for front doors (around 7k)

Step 2 (after few months)
Buy new speakers (preferably good ones like JL Audio or something) and fix them on front doors while moving the earlier Infinity ones to backdoors. Add a good amp. Get dampening done.

Step 3 (if required)
Add a subwoofer if really required.

This path allows me to be in my budget and taking things one at a time.

What do you guys suggest? is it a good plan or do I need to shuffle something? Or are there any other suggestions/recommendations you guys have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
unless you really high sub-woofer type outputs, I think a sub is not required. I have a 5-channel amp + sub, but I feel the mid-ranges take care of what I want.
I guess you are right about it. I am not a bass overhead and good crisp bass should be enough for me..

Last edited by BlackPearl : 4th February 2021 at 20:48. Reason: Merged the posts. Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 19:47   #14165
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Thank you for your inputs. So after a lot of consideration I have decided to follow the below path:

Step 1 (Now)
Planning to go with Sony XAV-AX5500 as Head Unit (around 20K) along with Infinity REF 6530CX for front doors (around 7k)

Step 2 (after few months)
Buy new speakers (preferably good ones like JL Audio or something) and fix them on front doors while moving the earlier Infinity ones to backdoors. Add a good amp. Get dampening done.

Step 3 (if required)
Add a subwoofer if really required.

This path allows me to be in my budget and taking things one at a time.

What do you guys suggest? is it a good plan or do I need to shuffle something? Or are there any other suggestions/recommendations you guys have?
That's an amazing plan my man!
If you're willing to spend 20k on your head unit you should maybe think a little more about your options, sony HUs don't offer the most customisation. Pioneer is better in that regard.

Speaker choice can only be done once heard. Infinity is better than stock but not many people were happy after using them.

Every zest that I have ridden in was a cab. And every one of them had a cheap HU like the one you were talking about. You really should've inspected your car well before purchase.

But if the rest of the car is fine, no problem.
I'm from Hyderabad too. My Safari and Senior BHPian A4anurag's creta are going to get some nice ICE(in car entertainment) work done in a while.

If you want to wait it out, it would be a good idea to get it done in HYD. We have researched car audio quite a bit and have a good idea what's what because of this. Will help make sure the work is done well.

BHPian suhas raj was also considering the same head unit but changed his mind after speaking to his installer. It's just a few pages back on this same thread

You can reach out to me on instagram at prith.vixit since you aren't able to send PMs now because you're a newbie.

Last edited by viXit : 4th February 2021 at 19:51.
Old 4th February 2021, 21:45   #14166
BHPian

Quote:

What do you guys suggest? iI
I suggest you get the amp in the first stage so as to get all the wiring done in one go. Otherwise the whole process will have to be re-done and In my opinion, the more number of times your door panels are opened, the higher the chance of rattles and other things going wrong. Changing speakers will mostly be plug and play but amp wiring and dampening is elaborate. In fact to be honest I think you can save a little on the HU if you’re okay with not having carplay/android auto.
Karan_n8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 18:48   #14167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
maybe think a little more about your options, sony HUs don't offer the most customisation. Pioneer is better in that regard.
Thanks for your advice. Yes, I have looked at Pioneer ones as well and they are also on my radar.

Quote:
Speaker choice can only be done once heard. Infinity is better than stock but not many people were happy after using them.
That's true. I am planning to listen to speakers before finalising.

Quote:
You really should've inspected your car well before purchase. Will help make sure the work is done well.
Yup. I really should have inspected the car myself. But what's done is being done now and I have learnt my lesson.

We will surely catch up once I am back in Hyd, which will be in April most likely. I am planning few long trips to Rajasthan/Himachal and wanted to have a decent audio up and running to enjoy the ride. Therefore, most likely I will go ahead with HU/speaker here in Punjab and then after coming back to Hyd will catch up and decide collectively what to do next. If that's ok with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
I suggest you get the amp in the first stage so as to get all the wiring done in one go. .
Is it possible to use the existing wiring for the time being? Zest already has tweeter space inside the door panel itself and there are already two speakers up and running in the front doors. Is it possible to use the same wiring for time being and at a later point in time, when adding amp and additional speakers we will go ahead with wiring change and dampening.

Last edited by vb-saan : 25th February 2021 at 11:14. Reason: typo
Old 5th February 2021, 21:00   #14168
BHPian

The new HU will anyways merit new wiring. It’s not a good idea to use old wiring which in your case will most probably be really low quality. Buddy to save multiple trips to your dealer do things the right way in the first go.
Old 7th February 2021, 11:59   #14169
BANNED

Quote:
Is it possible to use the existing wiring for the time being? Zest already has tweeter space inside the door panel itself and there are already two speakers up and running in the front doors. Is it possible to use the same wiring for time being and at a later point in time, when adding an amp and additional speakers we will go ahead with wiring change and dampening?
If it is a speaker only change WITHOUT an amplifier being added at the moment then the OEM wiring can be used.

When an amplifier is added, new OFC wiring 14ga or 16ga depending on the power handling requirements can be decided. Whatever you decided, remember to do the wiring + damping at a single shot since all panels will be opened up during that time hence will be easy to complete that exercise without any hiccups.

Do list what equipment you have decided to go with?!
Old 8th February 2021, 16:27   #14170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If it is a speaker only change WITHOUT an amplifier being added at the moment then the OEM wiring can be used.
That's exactly what we went ahead with. So I got the setup done. Sony XAV-AX5500(Pioneer one were out of stock so had no other choice) along with Focal Auditor RSE-165 component speakers. Of all the speakers I tested (JBL, DD Redline , Infinity ) these ones sounded really good.

With this setup the audio has changed dramatically. It's still not at the level where I want it to be but now at least the music is enjoyable.

At shop they also advised to use the same wires if not getting the amp. They advised me getting an amp (Blaupunkt GTA 460 or Alpine BBX-F1200) and told that I would only get around 70% of clarity/sound without getting amp. However I was not convinced with their amp recommendation.

So I have decided to get the amp installed along with better speakers (will shift current ones to back doors) and get the dampening done in Hyderabad itself. I believe that people in HYD are more skilled and I would get better options there. For time being, my purpose to at least get enjoyable music has been served.

Regarding fitting, the only concern was that my car had an aftermarket frame (as told my shop owner) to hold the stereo. And in that aftermarket frame, there was nothing to hold the stereo. They had to improvise but even then the cut out frame is bigger than the stereo size. Which kind of makes look everything messy and not aesthetically pleasing. Solution to this was to get a custom frame made from a nearby shop (which was closed on that day). So I need to go back there once so they can fit it properly. Will share the pics when it's finished.

Thank you all for your responses. I would still need some help in finalising a better speaker and getting an amp along with wiring. Any recommendations you guys have?? My budget for getting these will be around 30k i guess.
Old 9th February 2021, 10:13   #14171
BANNED

Quote:
That's exactly what we went ahead with. So I got the setup done. Sony XAV-AX5500(Pioneer one were out of stock so had no other choice) along with Focal Auditor RSE-165 component speakers. Of all the speakers I tested (JBL, DD Redline , Infinity ) these ones sounded really good.
Before changing the speakers, get an amplifier and tune it. If you don't like the sound imaging/staging then think of changing the speakers.

Since you have chosen the Focal Auditor as front components, would suggest you to get a coaxial from the same series for a better sound stage. I don't find the need for components at the rear too.

Quote:
I would still need some help in finalising a better speaker and getting an amp along with wiring. Any recommendations you guys have?? My budget for getting these will be around 30k i guess.
As you need amplifier wiring kit and an amplifier, look at the follwoing:

Amplifiers:
  • Pioneer GM-D8704/Pioneer GM-DX874;
  • Sony XM-N1004
  • JBL-A9004
  • Kenwood KAC-PS704EX
  • JL Audio JD400/4
Amplifier wiring kit (4AWG):
  • Focal PK21
  • Cerwin Vega XED4AWG
  • Blaupunkt OFC 4AWG kit.
Old 10th February 2021, 00:30   #14172
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggestions for ICE upgrade in Baleno:

I am planning to take it slow and do it in stages. The plan is to get decent speakers (front components and rear coaxials) along with damping of 4 doors. AMP would be considered later.

1. Polk Audio DB6502 DB+ & DB652 DB+: 13.2k
2. Morel Maximus 602 & Morel Maximo 6C: 15.5k

Above prices are from Motorogue website. Which combo is better ? Any other option I could look for within a budget of 20k for speakers ?

Thank you!!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 10th February 2021 at 00:32.
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:35   #14173

I m looking for audio system upgrade for my skoda Rapid 2015 model.

Currently the car has the OEM system which is not a touch screen unit.

I would prefer to have a unit which will have reverse parking camera as well integrated to the unit.

Any suggestions please?
Old 25th February 2021, 10:12   #14174
BHPian

Hi All,

I have been planning to upgrade ICE on my Baleno for some time now, I am not planning to change the head unit (Bosch made) as it serves the purpose but would really like to upgrade the audio experience. The things I have in my mind:

Front: Polkaudio DB6502 Components
Rear: Polkaudio DB652 Coax
Amp: Pioneer GM-D8704
Sub: TBD (7-9k)

I don't want heavy bass, just want the bass to complement the music (more tight than boomy). Any suggestions for the subwoofer or anything else on this setup?

Thanks!
Old 25th February 2021, 13:38   #14175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin93 View Post
Front: Polkaudio DB6502 Components
Rear: Polkaudio DB652 Coax
Amp: Pioneer GM-D8704
Sub: TBD (7-9k)

I don't want heavy bass, just want the bass to complement the music (more tight than boomy). Any suggestions for the subwoofer or anything else on this setup?

Thanks!
I am in a similar dilemma right now. I have recently upgraded my speaker setup in XUV300 to Infinity components + coaxials, powered by Pioneer 8704.
I have an existing 7 year old active-subwoofer that has seen 4 different cars and is showing signs of ageing and doesn't go too well with my new setup.

I'm looking to upgrade and have the following in mind:
1. Blaupunkt GTB8200A: Small size for XUV300's small boot and an active sub means no need to worry about placing a mono-block
2. Pioneer TXW300A: Active sub, but large in size
3. Pioneer TSW306B: Passive sub, but smaller in size compared to TXW300A. Can the mono-block be placed on top of the sub? Or will the excessive vibrations create an issue?
4. Any other recommendations?

Most Viewed