Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2021, 14:26   #14176
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin93 View Post
Front: Polkaudio DB6502 Components
Rear: Polkaudio DB652 Coax
Amp: Pioneer GM-D8704
Sub: TBD (7-9k)

I don't want heavy bass, just want the bass to complement the music (more tight than boomy). Any suggestions for the subwoofer or anything else on this setup?
I would have gone with Morels. It depends on what type of sound signature you like. I prefer warm or neutral. Polks are slightly on brighter side.

Motorogue has awesome deal for Morel Maximo coaxials, priced at just 4k.

https://www.motorogue.in/products/sp...mo-coax-6.html

You can check for the availability of Morel Maximo ultra or Morel Maximus components.

Edit: Morel Maximo coaxials is out of stock now. I just placed an order though.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 25th February 2021 at 14:43.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 21:27   #14177
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

So after dilly-dallying for a long time, I finally decided to upgrade the music system in my 2008 Honda City GXi ZX. One main reason for not changing was the decent sound I had from the stock Alpine CDE 9871EHI and JBL speakers (I'm no audiophile and listen mainly to the radio). Secondly, the removal of the music system is very difficult according to some installers I spoke to and also YouTube videos. I didn't want broken panels which are hard to replace and noises after installation.

I settled on the Sony XAV AX5500 (Thanks @a4anurag) and reverse camera from adeptt Revcam. Bought online as I wanted to DIY. I had to purchase a 8mm socket wrench (T-handle). Other tools I required were regular Phillips screwdrivers lying around at home. I'm sorry I didn't take any pics, but my hands were literally tied.

Firstly went ahead with disassembly which was straightforward after watching 2 YouTube videos. Thankfully no panels broken. Also all the mechanical leads connecting the AC switches to their rockers had to be removed. Then the stereo, along with the panel was in my hand. The original stereo and it's fascia was well pated and the fascia could not be removed without breaking it. The aluminum frame was weird with 6 screws instead of the usual 4. Also I couldn't remove the stereo from the frame. There were 4 star screws which ruined 4 screwdrivers including a brand new one. I went to a nearby installer and he managed to remove the screws with a special tool. I also enquired about purchasing the wiring harness and fascia, but was told that it cannot be bought anywhere.

Coming to the stock wiring harness, It was identical to the one in the Sony box, but would not fit (Sony would not fit in the stock stereo either. So I removed the stock wiring harness (A blue bulky connector) and had to cut and solder the wires (12 of them) to the Sony harness. Power antenna wire (blue) in the stock didn't have any compatible wire in the Sony. All others were of standard colors. No heat shrink sleeves either so had to use electrical tape. The Antenna connector was a direct fit. Connected the newly made harness and fired the stereo up. Sound checked in all speakers. All was fine.

I wanted to fit the reverse camera too. The Camera I bought fits to the bumper after making a hole in it. The reverse lights are on the bootlid. The red power wire was only about 3' long and I needed an additional 5 feet. So abandoned it for now.
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-7c4a97b128914a16b41772dc17b4f5cd.jpeg

Reassembly done, Connecting the AC dial leads was a pain to adjust, but all ok in the end. Stereo is working fine. Mic routed to the steering boss and attached to the dials. Checked everything and all fine. Finally have car play in both cars.
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-fa06865580984f2f94f7c7110d68d295.jpeg

Final questions to the gurus.

1. Where can I buy a fascia plate to cover the gaps all around the stereo. Car is a 2008 Honda City ZX Gxi. Apparently no one will have it according to my nearby installer.

2. Need to install the reverse camera https://www.flipkart.com/adeptt-ad-r...FRZHV74R26LNH2 . Can I just solder any wire to the power lead and pull it from the bumper to the bootlid? Can I connect it directly so the camera feed can be viewed anytime (Option available in home screen). Also what about the triggering wire in the RCA cable can I extend that too? Any specific type of wires to be used to extend these 2 wires?
Old 28th February 2021, 00:35   #14178
BHPian

I have a 2 din pioneer installed in my city zx. To cover the gaps, you get a rectangular plastic square ( about 2mm in thickness ). You will find a photo in my ownership thread.
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:33   #14179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I also enquired about purchasing the wiring harness and fascia, but was told that it cannot be bought anywhere.
That's weird, the black trim around the head unit should be supplied by the head-unit manufacturer themselves. I don't think you can find the trims easily outside.

Quote:
Coming to the stock wiring harness, It was identical to the one in the Sony box, but would not fit (Sony would not fit in the stock stereo either. So I removed the stock wiring harness (A blue bulky connector) and had to cut and solder the wires (12 of them) to the Sony harness.
Is repinning the harness not possible?
Doing that would be safer for your car. Since the Sony is popular, and so is the honda coupler, I'm sure you can find a matching coupler somewhere that can give you a "Coupler to coupler" connection.

Quote:
I wanted to fit the reverse camera too. The Camera I bought fits to the bumper after making a hole in it. The reverse lights are on the bootlid. The red power wire was only about 3' long and I needed an additional 5 feet. So abandoned it for now...........
2. Need to install the reverse camera https://www.flipkart.com/adeptt-ad-r...FRZHV74R26LNH2 . Can I just solder any wire to the power lead and pull it from the bumper to the bootlid? Can I connect it directly so the camera feed can be viewed anytime (Option available in home screen). Also what about the triggering wire in the RCA cable can I extend that too? Any specific type of wires to be used to extend these 2 wires?
I would recommend tapping into the reverse light for power. Reason being , your reverse camera has a light in it, if you keep it on throughout, it may burn out. But if your headunit can power a camera, I'm not sure. Pls share wiring diagram for your head unit from user manual so we can see.

In that case, if your camera turns on only when you press the toggle on the head-unit, you should test it on a bench once by using the various power sources and seeing the implementation. I don't understand why the RCA has another wire. could you explain this to me sir.

Quote:
Mic routed to the steering boss and attached to the dials. Checked everything and all fine. Finally have car play in both cars.
I would recommend installing it behind your IRVM, it will be hidden from sight then. But still have good reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkir80 View Post
I m looking for audio system upgrade for my skoda Rapid 2015 model.

Currently the car has the OEM system which is not a touch screen unit.

I would prefer to have a unit which will have reverse parking camera as well integrated to the unit.

Any suggestions please?
Bhpian Suhas_raj has upgraded his rapid's head unit recently, you can follow his progress just a page or two back. He went with pioneer since he likes to fine tune his sound. You can pick sony for a basic install.

But if you like a very flush, "made for this car" I think you should look at the various RCDS head-units for VAG cars. They integrate with the CAN of the car and have a lot of additional features. But lack tuning to the extent of pioneer or other brands.

It depends on what your goals are for the uprade, just the music system head unit? or are you looking at an amp, speakers etc?
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:55   #14180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
I have a 2 din pioneer installed in my city zx. To cover the gaps, you get a rectangular plastic square ( about 2mm in thickness ). You will find a photo in my ownership thread.
Can you provide the link to that post ? It will be easier for everyone to quickly check it
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:09   #14181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
That's weird, the black trim around the head unit should be supplied by the head-unit manufacturer themselves. I don't think you can find the trims easily outside.

Is repinning the harness not possible?
Doing that would be safer for your car. Since the Sony is popular, and so is the honda coupler, I'm sure you can find a matching coupler somewhere that can give you a "Coupler to coupler" connection.

I would recommend tapping into the reverse light for power. Reason being , your reverse camera has a light in it, if you keep it on throughout, it may burn out. But if your headunit can power a camera, I'm not sure. Pls share wiring diagram for your head unit from user manual so we can see.

In that case, if your camera turns on only when you press the toggle on the head-unit, you should test it on a bench once by using the various power sources and seeing the implementation. I don't understand why the RCA has another wire. could you explain this to me sire

I would recommend installing it behind your IRVM, it will be hidden from sight then. But still have good reception.
Trims are generally found at the audio installers. They refuse to use the one in the box. Funnily Sony just provided an elastic frame which I have used. Fascia frames are available for new/ current cars. Mine is 2nd Gen.

I cut and soldered the wires. Again Harness is available for new/ current cars. Not for mine.

Head unit does support rear camera. Reverse light wiring is complex in my model as the wire has to go to the cabin and then return.

RCA has another wire to trigger the camera output to the screen.

The dash has to be removed to do that, hence fixed to speedo.
Old 4th March 2021, 20:53   #14182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Can you provide the link to that post ? It will be easier for everyone to quickly check it
Here you go.

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-2019-7.jpg

The plastic strips are available with the head unit itself and the installers also have a variety of them. This model does not require a separate frame for 7 inch touch screens.

Regarding cutting the wires, harnesses are available with installers or they can easily make one. You just have to be a little adamant about what you want. I recently got a sequential cng kit in my 14.5 year old car with complete coupler to coupler connection. I had to stick to my requirements with 2-3 installers and even the technician who was finally working on my car.
Old 5th March 2021, 02:59   #14183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post

You can check for the availability of Morel Maximo ultra or Morel Maximus components.
Thanks for the insights Naren. I did get a chance to listen to Morels and did like the sound signature. But I am unable to get hold of a pair of Morel Maximo Components (both Maximo 6 and Maximo Ultras), they are out of stock everywhere.

Cheers!
Aswin
aswin93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 14:44   #14184
Distinguished - BHPian

I need some advice to improve the SQ in my S-Cross.

Current setup:
1. Stock HU (touchscreen Bosch)
2. Gladen RS 165 G2 Front Components
3. Gladen Alpha 165 Rear Coaxials
4. Gladen M10 Subwoofer
5. Pioneer GM-A6704 Amplifier

I would be changing the amp to Rockford Power T600-4

I have a budget of 20-25k for further upgrade. Confused between HU or DSP. I can get only one of these at this moment.

HU : JVC-KW-M740BT vs Pioneer DMH-Z5290BT vs Sony XAV-AX5500

Or

DSP: Pioneer DEQ-S1000A vs Dayton 408 vs Rockford DSR1

Any other suggestions are also welcome

Thank you!!!
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:04   #14185
BHPian

Hello everyone! I have a query that did not get any good answers when searched online or in the forum.

What does "navigation ready" in Head units mean? The limited information online suggests that one can use navigation from a microSD card; does that mean the Navigation micro SD card I have on my Honda City can be used in the new head unit with just the app being installed?

I saw this feature in Blaupunkt Key Largo 970 but I could not find other head-units with this feature. Please do share what you know regarding this feature.
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:23   #14186
BHPian

I had blaupunkt key largo installed in my Tiago XZA recently. It's connected to a Sony amp which is in turn driving a subwoofer in the boot and 2 pair of coaxials in the front and rear doors. The problem I am having is whenever I start the car, I get a loud 'dhap' kind of sound from (probably) the subwoofer. The installer after a few attempts has given up and says its normal.

Request guidance on how this sound can be suppressed.
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:44   #14187
BHPian

Quote:
I need some advice to improve the SQ in my S-Cross.

Current setup:
1. Stock HU (touchscreen Bosch)
2. Gladen RS 165 G2 Front Components
3. Gladen Alpha 165 Rear Coaxials
4. Gladen M10 Subwoofer
5. Pioneer GM-A6704 Amplifier

I would be changing the amp to Rockford Power T600-4

I have a budget of 20-25k for further upgrade. Confused between HU or DSP. I can get only one of these at this moment.

HU : JVC-KW-M740BT vs Pioneer DMH-Z5290BT vs Sony XAV-AX5500

Or

DSP: Pioneer DEQ-S1000A vs Dayton 408 vs Rockford DSR1

Any other suggestions are also welcome

Thank you!!!
Hope the reply isn't too late. If you do not want to mess with the stock look of the car then DSP is a better option. But if the Bosch HU doesn't have Android Auto/Carplay then an HU upgrade would be a better choice. Largely, the choice is between these two.

I have JVC 740 in my Polo GT TSI. I bought that as in June last year I was getting it for under 17k, its 24k now on Flipkart. Feature-wise its the same as Pioneer 5290 and Sony 5500. I have no complaints.

Now, the DSP choice you have given is quite varied in price and features. Pioneer is the basic DSP and costs 13k while Rockford is 22k (cheapest) but usually list price is 29k or thereabout.

If budget isn't an issue then Rockford DSP is the way to go. The customisations it allows is insane and you can really tune the audio to the T if you are that sort of guy who fiddles with these settings a lot.

Hope this helped.
#ish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:53   #14188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ish View Post
Hope the reply isn't too late. If you do not want to mess with the stock look of the car then DSP is a better option.
I ended up changing the HU, got KW-M960BW. I am fully satisfied with the upgrade. Plan is to get a good DSP after couple of months for 3 way active setup .

Posted details on ICE upgrade here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...amplifier.html
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:55   #14189
BHPian

Quote:
I ended up changing the HU, got KW-M960BW. I am fully satisfied with the upgrade. Plan is to get a good DSP after couple of months for 3 way active setup .

Posted details on ICE upgrade here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...amplifier.html
Oh that is such a good choice. You know I too have been looking for 960 but just couldn't find it here. I really wanted HiRes audio wireless and other features it had. Damn. Neat!
#ish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 09:44   #14190
Senior - BHPian

So I had recently installed a Sony XAV 5500 in my 2008 Honda City ZX Gxi. I had bought a reverse camera which I had not installed as I did not have wire of required length.
The camera is a bumper model - Adeptt AD RevCam for Honda city bought from Flipkart. https://www.flipkart.com/adeptt-ad-r...FRZHV74R26LNH2

Yesterday, I finally had time to buy the additional wire required and have installed it. I have attached the Camera power wire to the ACC rather than the reverse light so that I can use the rear camera icon in my Home Screen. The Video RCA wire has a trigger wire which connects to the rear light and to the stereo which activates the camera on the screen on engaging reverse gear. This is my preferred setup.

All things are working well, except that the reverse camera has 8 LED lights which are on all the time as they are connected to the ACC. Is there anyway only the lights can be switched off without disconnecting the camera? These lights are very bright and could be distracting to drivers behind me. I'm even thinking of painting the lights black or fixing tape on it.

please advise.

Most Viewed