Old 18th January 2010, 18:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Sorry but what is time alignment?
Try this Glossary
Old 18th January 2010, 19:35   #18
BHPian

I have the Kenwood KDV-MP5343U and I love it! It's a DVD player and comes with time alignment. I got mine in Dubai for about 9k. Check the link for the features

Kenwood - KDV-MP5343U
Old 19th January 2010, 11:57   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
anyone? Kenwood KDC-MP642U?
Kenwood KDC-XBT8013U too but the thread says "under Rs. 10,000".

Last edited by navin : 19th January 2010 at 12:04.
Old 19th January 2010, 12:19   #20
BHPian

i tried buying kenwood mp642, x693 from the US but i could not. finally i settled for a kenwood x7001u which i bought from our fellow bhpian jayd. hydrashok had certified it as excellent. after using it i must say it is an excellent headunit, miles ahead my the pioneer 5090ib that i was using. now the mids and lows have become more prominent.
Old 19th January 2010, 12:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Oh yeah there is no comparison between the pio you had and the kenwood you bought now ↲Enjoy
Old 19th January 2010, 13:38   #22
BHPian

Try Kenwood Excelon KDC-x993 sourced from the US.
Kenwood - KDC-X993
It is Kenwood's current flagship model, with all the features you can possibly think of and delivers amazing sound clarity.

It can be obtained for close to 250 USD.
Old 19th January 2010, 14:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

The Best bet after Clarion 785USB - Kenwood eXcelon X693 (with TA, without bluetooth) retails around 150-170 USD
Old 1st July 2010, 20:22   #24
BHPian

i have bought a kenwood kdc x794 headunit. it cost me $220. i bought it from new york through a friend. can someone help me with setting up TA. i searched the forum and did not get any help. or maybe someone could start a thread on how to set up a headunit with TA.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnuvijay View Post
i have bought a kenwood kdc x794 headunit. it cost me $220. i bought it from new york through a friend. can someone help me with setting up TA. i searched the forum and did not get any help. or maybe someone could start a thread on how to set up a headunit with TA.
Checkout the following thread. 7016 is x794's Indian equivalent.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...16-fiesta.html
Old 11th July 2010, 17:36   #26
BANNED

Is HU Time Alignment a myth/marketing gimmick ?

How can it automatically estimates the delay from each speaker to the listening position and adjusts the time alignment accordingly ? Is it having any AI ?
Old 11th July 2010, 18:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Not a myth at all - it is all in the maths of sound processing, @mithun. It doesn't need AI - human intelligence has already been applied in creating these algorithms before they were cast in silicon. These algorithms have been around for 30 years at least. It is all on the 'net, one has to search for it and read it.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2010, 08:52   #28
naughty001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Now I am just wondering.............. If there is a Pioneer head unit i.e. 8850 & 8650 available in the market and that too for less than 10k, why is everyone on the forum recommending headunits like the the Pioneer P880, Alpine 9887, etc which cost a whooping 20k+ ??
im pretty sure its a combination of this factor mentioned in this quote here

Quote:
P80RS, Alpine etc have far better sound quality than 8650, 8850 etc
combined with the fact that those P80RS and 9887 all have three way crossovers plus multiband EQ as well as T/A on all channels hence can give you far more adjustability - as well as features like 24 bit burr brown Dacs which are proven to be sonically superior to most conventional lesser dac chips plus these higher end headunits have auto-setup capability like the alpine with its imprint facility which gives you the audyssey multEQxt which is normally found on higher end home theater receivers - i dont think that those normal headunits will give you all of those facilities but will give you a limited selection from those .... whereas the higher end ones will be kind of a jack of all trades to be a master of sound quality

Quote:
Is HU Time Alignment a myth/marketing gimmick ?

How can it automatically estimates the delay from each speaker to the listening position and adjusts the time alignment accordingly ? Is it having any AI ?
at the end of the day - you need to understand the underlying reason behind why T/A is necessary to actually understand it - you have different speakers playing different band of frequencies of the sound spectrum and each one of these speakers is placed at strategic spots in your vehicle .... the problem is that space concerns and space availability as well as convenience dictate these locations instead of a requirement of sonic accuracy and excellence. At home you can have a sweet spot created in perfect equilateral triangles but in a car the steering wheel is on one side and hence the driver is on one side and a passenger on the other - neither sitting in a sweet spot that gives you perfect soundstaging or imaging and also tonality becomes an issue because you hear one side louder or closer to you hence you need to counter this

the way this is achieved is generally to make your ears believe that all those sounds you hear are arriving to your ears at the time that the producer of the content intended them to arrive so you need to manipulate these sounds and their arrival times

music is not a sine wave but is made up of multiple sine waves that occur at differing frequencies and even different instruments playing the same frequencies at the same time. we know that if a particular frequency encounters the same identical frequency out of phase it will cancel - but lots of times you need these to all be played so that the convincing and realistic sound you hear before you can unfold in a convincing manner - so the idea is to make the sound from all these speaker placed in different locations seem like they all arrive to your ears at the same time - T/A when applied manually is just a matter of measuring path lengths between speaker drivers and applying a delay to the shorter pathlength so it seems like it is longer but when you know what you are doing entering in those figures is easily achievable hence the compensating process is comparatively easy

for the software to do the autosetup the manner it is able to analyze all of this is because it has a predetermined frequency curve it strives to achieve - then when you place the microphone in the locations requested by the instructions the microphone uses the resultant measured curve to compare and then decide how best to adjust the EQ as well as time delays as well as the crossover point (in the 9887) so all of those adjustments will eventually get you close to that target curve as you can physically get without having the complexity of you trying to do all those adjustments manually yourself and without further measurement

it is easier for electronic equipment to measure these curves etc because your hearing is not always as good a tool of measurement as you would like to think it is for example you wouldnt know whether a kick drum was playing a note that had a frequency centred at 60hz or 600hz (exaggeration for effect) because you dont really know how to measure those just by listening but a microphone of adequate quality linked to decent software would do so reliably most of the time .... the same goes for the T/A functionality ie you cant hear if a tweeter is 50 cm away from you or 80cm or if the mid is 120cm away from you in the kick panel but the microphone together with the software can measure it reasonably reliably and then apply the necessary adjustments toward the ideal response required

so no .... it definitely is not a marketing gimmick and it is a useful tool for those seeking perfection and absolute fidelity .... the only drawback is its affordability and you will only be restricted by what you can afford

for those seeking absolute perfection who have unlimited and very deep pockets the ideal situation is to have a minimalist pure head unit with no processing functionality which is instead simply and minimally put together out of expensive components that are the ultimate "bits and bobs" you can use to get the purest signal out of your media content and then to actually have an outboard processor that has very complex and widely varied functionality so you can adjust for a wide variety of equipment in a list of different vehicles just as wide in choice - but if your pockets dont extend that deep then one of these higher end headunits that build in this functionality gives you an acceptable compromise when carefully matched with ancillary equipment ie amplifiers that can supplement the limited processing functionality and speakers that can work in the required frequency ranges - whilst for the guys who dont have much affordability at all im afraid you are stuck with imagining what could have been with cheapish entry level head units that dont have most of this functionality and are basically capable of just making a bit of noise that overrides the engine noise and road rumble/tyre noise during a journey which more or less barely resembles music but that will mostly be lacking in trying to achieve believable and convincing sound quality in terms of proper stereo and soundstaging and imaging as well as allowing you to hear the inherent tonality and timbre of each instrument as a separate and individual component of the music you are listening to whilst still retaining the coherence of each individual instrument to the final tune you hear

all of the above is just my personal reasoning and thinking, and people are free to disagree, but to be honest when you hear the difference it makes when properly set up you will wonder how you managed to live without it all this time - so when your installer recommends one of these units its not just to make an extra profit for his pocket - its also to allow you to experience your treasured music at its best that your equipment choice can allow

Last edited by naughty001 : 12th July 2010 at 09:07.
  (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 14:10   #29
BHPian

Re: HU with Time Alignment

Hey guys, sorry for bumping up this old thread, but i am in the market for a new HU with time alignment. What are your suggestions?
I enquired about the kenwood KDC-X8016BT but the dealer quoted me a price of Rs. 70000. that happens to be waaay out of my budget.
So i wanted to ask the gurus here, what are the JVC, pioneer and kenwood Hu's available now with Time alignment and what the prices should be around..
thanks again.
Old 22nd February 2013, 13:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: HU with Time Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
... kenwood KDC-X8016BT but the dealer quoted me a price of Rs. 70000 ...
Something wrong somewhere. That 1DIN HU should be ~15K max. in India. Online quotes are 20K, but street prices are much lower.

There is a JVC 1DIN with TA and BT for ~11K. Not bad, but the Kenwood is definitely better.

Most Viewed