Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 09:09   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@shankarbn, there are some boards (not the usual Intel ones) which have an interface for the LCD display (I think it is called an LVD interface or something). I remember having seen some based on Ion, and some are available in India but not in the usual computer parts channels.

And of course you can get a large touchscreen overlay for that. If you are doing DIY, there is no limit.
Exactly! As I understand, in simple words, the lcd panels need two things

1. Some kind of controller board to convert the VGA stuff to LVDs as the lcd panel understands only the LVD language

2. Power connection which is different from the normal desktop lcd monitors

I guess you are refering to a motherboard which has some kind of LVD interface where I can plug in my lcd panel's thin wires directly like I would do to a laptop motherboard. Thats the exact thing I am looking for. Would be very very helpful if you would guide me on the model number, where to source it from etc..

Also, I read about touchscreen overlays after you mentioned. Can the touchscreen be sourced in India? How much will the overlays cost?
Old 6th March 2010, 20:49   #78
Senior - BHPian

@shankarbn, look for industrial mini-ITX motherboards with LVDS, like Via, EmbATX, Jetway etc. Be sure to double check the compatibility of your laptop TFT header connection with the LVDS header of the motherboard. Usually if you write to the motherboard manufacturer, they respond with technical information.

Are you sure the connection from the MB to the TFT panel in your laptop is optical? It is usually a flex PCB with silvered copper tracks.

What is the display size? @greenhorn, I suspect he will need much larger touch panels.
Old 7th March 2010, 12:44   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@shankarbn, look for industrial mini-ITX motherboards with LVDS, like Via, EmbATX, Jetway etc. Be sure to double check the compatibility of your laptop TFT header connection with the LVDS header of the motherboard. Usually if you write to the motherboard manufacturer, they respond with technical information.

Are you sure the connection from the MB to the TFT panel in your laptop is optical? It is usually a flex PCB with silvered copper tracks.

What is the display size? @greenhorn, I suspect he will need much larger touch panels.
The display size is 15.4" widescreen. I do think a touchscreen overlay may be a bit of an overkill! Glad to have learnt about it though. Thanks greenhorn for the links, they came in handy for another research bit.

I am not really sure if the tft panel connection to the MB is optical. All I see is normal plastic connecters with pins. There are totally three bunches of them coming out from the panel, one from the left side and two from the right side. Will probably be better if I post some pictures. Will post some in the next couple of hours.
Old 8th March 2010, 00:10   #80
BHPian

Sorry for the delay in posting pictures. These are the three connectors coming from the lcd panel.

Carputer Install-Tata Indigo-all-three.jpg

The first one is coming from the right end (from my perspective when I am facing the screen) The connector looks like this

Carputer Install-Tata Indigo-big-right.jpg

Carputer Install-Tata Indigo-big-male.jpg

Carputer Install-Tata Indigo-big-right-female.jpg

The second one, coming from the left end looks like this

Carputer Install-Tata Indigo-power-full.jpg

Carputer Install-Tata Indigo-power-male.jpg

Carputer Install-Tata Indigo-power-female.jpg

The third one looks like this

Carputer Install-Tata Indigo-white-right-male.jpg

Carputer Install-Tata Indigo-white-right-female.jpg

Can these be converted to VGA? or is there a motherboard which can take in this kind of configuration?
Old 9th March 2010, 14:48   #81
BHPian

DerAlte, any leads? I'm clueless on how to proceed. None of my friends have seen pins like this converted to vga!
Old 20th June 2010, 12:14   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
DerAlte, any leads? I'm clueless on how to proceed. None of my friends have seen pins like this converted to vga!
No buddy not experienced on this kind of change.
Old 13th February 2016, 17:54   #83
BHPian

Re: Carputer Install-Tata Indigo

My CARPUTER gets dis-assembled and car goes back to stock. The car now being with my parents now and I being staying outside no one there to fix the small nuances of such a setup. Moreover smartphones do most of the thing the CARPUTER was doing viz. Fuel consumption data calculation and display, Ent system, Veh health monitoring etc etc so it had lost its relevance.

But at the time I had done this it was unique and extremely useful with the SNOB value as added bonus ;-)

Bye Bye my first real mod job on a vehicle, had a great time making it and enjoying the convenience it provided.
techfreak is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed