Old 10th September 2009, 15:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

ICE upgrade : Hyundai Accent Viva

I currently have the following equipment in my car

HU: Pio 6850
Amp 1: Sony 4-Channel ( 504, I think)
Amp 2: JBL Monobloc
Sub: JBL 1000 watts in enclosed box
Front Comps: Some crappy fake Blaukpankts which dealer installed by cheating way back 2.5 years ago.

Now, i want to change my comps and if possible keep everything the same since the front speakers ( according to me they are not comps due to such horrendous sound quality) are breaking up if i crank up the volume even a little bit.

I am confused between JBL 607C or the new series of comps from JBL ( 265C or something) or Infinity Reference 6022i

Also, please suggest if existing sony amp will provide justice to the new components?

Also, how should i connect the new component system?

2 channels bridged to rear speakers + 2 channels bridged to components and HU running on its own. Will this work?

If no, then do i have to buy another amp? How is JBL GT5-A604 4 Channel Amp?

Please let me know your suggestions and pricing info if possible. My buget is 10K for an Amp and Comp included.
Old 10th September 2009, 16:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I currently have the following equipment in my car

HU: Pio 6850
Amp 1: Sony 4-Channel ( 504, I think)
Amp 2: JBL Monobloc
Sub: JBL 1000 watts in enclosed box
Front Comps: Some crappy fake Blaukpankts which dealer installed by cheating way back 2.5 years ago.

Now, i want to change my comps and if possible keep everything the same since the front speakers ( according to me they are not comps due to such horrendous sound quality) are breaking up if i crank up the volume even a little bit.

I am confused between JBL 607C or the new series of comps from JBL ( 265C or something) or Infinity Reference 6022i

Also, please suggest if existing sony amp will provide justice to the new components?

Also, how should i connect the new component system?

2 channels bridged to rear speakers + 2 channels bridged to components and HU running on its own. Will this work?

If no, then do i have to buy another amp? How is JBL GT5-A604 4 Channel Amp?

Please let me know your suggestions and pricing info if possible. My buget is 10K for an Amp and Comp included.
THe Bold part is not clear. What speakers do you have at present at back ?
Old 10th September 2009, 18:22   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
THe Bold part is not clear. What speakers do you have at present at back ?
My bad, i forgot to highlight them before. In the back, i have JBL GTO937 co-axials.
Old 10th September 2009, 19:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bad, i forgot to highlight them before. In the back, i have JBL GTO937 co-axials.
Fine Then, Get a pair of GT5 - S256 C (6") - 50W RMS and give 2Channel of your Sony Amp to this. The remaining 2 give it to your GTO 937.

I guess your ZMR series you are talking about pumps out 55W RMS x 4 (may be slightly deviating)

that's it, then Plug in ur mono to the Sub. Game Over
Old 11th September 2009, 09:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Fine Then, Get a pair of GT5 - S256 C (6") - 50W RMS and give 2Channel of your Sony Amp to this. The remaining 2 give it to your GTO 937.

I guess your ZMR series you are talking about pumps out 55W RMS x 4 (may be slightly deviating)

that's it, then Plug in ur mono to the Sub. Game Over
I didnt get this. Care to elaborate?

I had exactly the same plan, 2-channel to comp, 2 channel to rear coaxials. But my question remains will the sony amp do justification to getting the right juice out of GT5-S256C?

And, what about the HU? Should i let it run on its own since it wont be connected to an AMP?
Old 11th September 2009, 10:07   #6
BHPian

You can do 2 things..

1. Bridge the 4 channels of sony amp to only power the components. You can run the rears from HU directly.

2. Connect 2 channels of amp to fronts (components) and 2 channels to rears.

I have installed MTX components in a friend's car on the same 504 amp using 2 channels and the other 2 channels bridged to the sub. Friend happy, me happy
Old 11th September 2009, 10:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Avi get some nice comps for 10k and leave the amp as it is. I think you can bi amp them and power the rear speakers with HU. Have a look at the JBL power series since all your speakers are JBLs you might like the sound.
Speak to yash i think he has JBL power series in his car.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Karan and Shreyas. Now, i am confused with these 2 options. Which is the best one?

Also, if i spend 10K only for the comps. Which is the best that this money can buy? I am not particular about JBL only. Should i try the Infinity Reference Series ( the new one that released recently?).

Will this mix-match spoil the balance of equality?

Some comp models with pricing would really really help
Old 11th September 2009, 11:24   #9
BHPian

Avi, you can try focal components as well. I have focal access components in my car and running it without the AMPs, directly from the HU (AMPs got damaged during the recent rains) and even without the AMPs they sound really really sweet. I saw a focal polyglass components on sale in the classifieds for about 8.5k I think. They must be better than the Access series.

If you want new components and not used ones, you can try Chequered flag. They have both Focal and Infinity.

I have never heard Infinity but I am hearing focal everyday and I can vouch for them.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Karan and Shreyas. Now, i am confused with these 2 options. Which is the best one?

Also, if i spend 10K only for the comps. Which is the best that this money can buy? I am not particular about JBL only. Should i try the Infinity Reference Series ( the new one that released recently?).

Will this mix-match spoil the balance of equality?

Some comp models with pricing would really really help
The setup will work fine with fronts and rears both connected to the amp. But you will only be providing less power to the speakers than it can actually take. If you had a powerful 4 channel amp, then fronts and rears would not get underpowered. This option on a whole is good if you have people in front and rear during the drive.

The second option is good if the vehicle is self driven mostly. This way, you are actually dedicating the amp only to the fronts in bridged mode, giving them more power than compared to the 4 channel mode (front & rear). And the rears being connected to HU will still be playing giving a ambient effect. This also helps when you have people at back.

Both the options are good enough with your existing setup and a new set of components. You only have to decide how you want to distribute your amps power by how many people are seated inj the car.

There are some good compos in 10k price range. There are some nice VFM ones less than 8k also. But instead keep you budget at 10k and listen to as many brands and models you can listen to. Because you may like a lesser priced one as per your listening taste.

Hope I made some sense to you..

Last edited by shreyasma : 11th September 2009 at 12:43.
Old 11th September 2009, 13:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
... You only have to decide how you want to distribute your amps power by how many people are seated inj the car. ...
Errrr.... Shreyas, what exactly did you mean? I am getting visions of all passengers in @mobile008's car having to appropriately connect themselves electrically to the amp. Like sit in the car, take the jack sticking out of the seat and plug it into yourself possibly in the ear?
Old 11th September 2009, 14:09   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Avi, you can try focal components as well. I have focal access components in my car and running it without the AMPs, directly from the HU (AMPs got damaged during the recent rains) and even without the AMPs they sound really really sweet. I saw a focal polyglass components on sale in the classifieds for about 8.5k I think. They must be better than the Access series.

If you want new components and not used ones, you can try Chequered flag. They have both Focal and Infinity.

I have never heard Infinity but I am hearing focal everyday and I can vouch for them.
Thanks, I will check with Chequered flag too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
The setup will work fine with fronts and rears both connected to the amp. But you will only be providing less power to the speakers than it can actually take. If you had a powerful 4 channel amp, then fronts and rears would not get underpowered. This option on a whole is good if you have people in front and rear during the drive.

The second option is good if the vehicle is self driven mostly. This way, you are actually dedicating the amp only to the fronts in bridged mode, giving them more power than compared to the 4 channel mode (front & rear). And the rears being connected to HU will still be playing giving a ambient effect. This also helps when you have people at back.

Both the options are good enough with your existing setup and a new set of components. You only have to decide how you want to distribute your amps power by how many people are seated inj the car.

There are some good compos in 10k price range. There are some nice VFM ones less than 8k also. But instead keep you budget at 10k and listen to as many brands and models you can listen to. Because you may like a lesser priced one as per your listening taste.

Hope I made some sense to you..
That sounded like a sound idea. I am 80% alone in the car and drive almost 55km-60km everyday which translates to me being in the car for about 2.5 hours a day so good set-up is very important to me.

However, the problem is no outfit will let you audition to them so need to stick to references and vouches only.

Checked the pricing for following component brands from Pavan Electronics in Hyderabad. He is the authorized distributor for JBL in Hyd.

JBL 265C : Rs.5000 ( MRP Rs.6990)
Infinity Reference 6030CS: Rs.7900 ( MRP Rs.9900)

Above is the best pricing and installation will be done free of cost. Which of the two you folks suggest? I know Infinity is superior that JBL but, is it worth the price difference? Also, will it fit into my existing equipment of the car?

Pavan Electronics has senior installers with 12-13 years of experience and their suggestion was connect 2 channels of Sony Amp to Comps and 2 channels for the rear speakers. 4 channels bridged to the comp idea was not taken effectively by them as according to them even the rear speakers need some amp juice..LOL

So which one should i invest in considering the point i wont probably get an audition for either.

Also can so someone confirm if the pricing is right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Errrr.... Shreyas, what exactly did you mean? I am getting visions of all passengers in @mobike008's car having to appropriately connect themselves electrically to the amp. Like sit in the car, take the jack sticking out of the seat and plug it into yourself possibly in the ear?
That was hilarious. Even i started imagining the passengers and stick all available speakers in the car into their ears to get a feedback from them
Old 11th September 2009, 14:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Some components i can think of under 10k are JBL GTO, JBL POWER, ILUSSION ELECTRA, GROUND ZERO, BULL AUDIO, RAINBOW (you might be abe to get basic ones at 10k) plus a lot more.
Old 11th September 2009, 15:50   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, which of the 2 components outlined below would be a better option?

I need to decide fast as made up my mind to spend this dough tomrorow
Old 11th September 2009, 18:24   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, which of the 2 components outlined below would be a better option?
Nobody who experienced both can comment about these 2 brands? Need some inputs ASAP

Most Viewed